• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Noddie's K11

Its been a while.
Yesterday I did a little messing around.
Checked for fault codes and found 'crank angle sensor' was playing up. took the dizzy apart and put it back together and the fault has cleared.
So a while ago frank was talking to me about using a second coolant temp sensor placed in the cabin to fool the ecu into running richer because it thinks the engine is cold.
I wouldnt say this is an alternative to mapping!! but it did make my car absolutely FLY! It does however make it nearly undrivable at low revs due to rich misfire. Doing it has showed me how much potential my car has when properly fuelled. VERY chuffed with it!

The car is still filthy and smelly.

give us more info on this crank angle sensor
i was thinking their face lift only?

that disc (limiter mod/unmod) cam angle sensor, a clean up was all it took?
and engine ran slightly smoother?
Yeah, just took it apart and put it back together, might have just been an error logged from when i covered up the little hole. No real improvement after tbh, but the car seemed ok before.

Took a little 0-60 vid today, no going to put it up becuase its out of focus and torque steer while holding the wheel and camera made for a rather pathetic vid. I counted around 6-7 seconds (with lots of wheel spin) so should be able to get it down a bit:D That sounds very fast to me so im not sure i believe it. What do you guys think? realistic?
Il try to get another video up but it will mean getting someone to sit and film the clocks.

That's sounds about right mate, my videos a bit slower than that but my clutch was slippy slippy ;)

Youll have to come up here soon mate , let me see it running :)

It's hard to video and drive at same time, put it up though bud, it will be good I'm sure

It's really not good, also please excuse the sound, 20points for anyone who can identify the album Haha. [video]http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/edlaver/VIDEO0001.mp4[/video]

Ed you need to remove the sofa in the back and dining room table and chairs :)

Just kidding, everytime I see you there's half a Micra garage in the back :) hurry up and come and get stainless intercooler hoses :)

Ed you need to remove the sofa in the back and dining room table and chairs :)

Just kidding, everytime I see you there's half a Micra garage in the back :) hurry up and come and get stainless intercooler hoses :)
Ha, its my project slash works van:D
yeah! really need pop over for a catch up man! just soo bleedin busy atm:(

So this afternoon and this evening iv been making my adjustable panhard rod.
First i took off the old rod and made a jig from it to aid making of the new one:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Whilst doing this i realised that one end has to fit over a 17mm bolt! silly me assumed that it would be the same as the other side and the same as the thread:S assumptions eh?
so had to turn out one of the bushes:
attachment.php

Then it was a case of welding it all together:)
attachment.php

And here it is finished! My welds have improved so much with the new tig welder:)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There is enough adjustment on it for any kind of lowering/raising of the car, the only thing i will be adding is a lock nut to stop the turnbuckle turning once its adjusted.

Just looking forward to fitting it now (Y) :D

That's fantastic work, Noddie! 100% worth selling them to Micra Maniacs

Today I fitted the helix clutch and a spar gearbox I had, plus my lightened flywheel. Haven't really had chance to test it as the starter motor doesn't seem to work atm. Bump started the car though and it seems very good, flywheel has made a nice difference and the clutch feels fine (lighter if anything, with a smooth engagement). Pics to follow. Tomorrow il try to work out what's going on with the starter motor.

Today I fitted the helix clutch and a spar gearbox I had, plus my lightened flywheel. Haven't really had chance to test it as the starter motor doesn't seem to work atm.

you hav,nt left the earth strap off the starter bolt have you ed ? :eek:

you hav,nt left the earth strap off the starter bolt have you ed ? :eek:
Nah, pretty sure the wiring is ok. I dunno, seems like its jammed, there is current to it because the fuel pumps slows with the extra load. But no sound from the motor I don't think. Il check it over properly tomorrow.

Sounds good mate ;)

I'll be fitting mine soon maate

Should feel a definate difference when your floor it now :)

Get some pics up of the beauty

started the front strip down today,
rusty cross member is back so a new one ordered off the bay (25 delivered)
Also ordered a new/second hand front cat to save worries around MOT time.
Roll on the summer and the end of exams so i have lots of time to get this done:D Really looking forward to it now.
562860_10150767486259047_505344046_11397761_94741704_n.jpg

had another half an hour to mess about last night...
318255_10150773728844047_505344046_11416966_103708683_n.jpg

and this was the state of my engine oil, very clear HG failure eh.
532188_10150773729154047_505344046_11416967_841302276_n.jpg

Dropped the engine today, bloody power steering is tricky, managed to get the fluid everywhere :s
Also damaged one of the gearbox seals as i was getting the drive shafts out so gonna have to give nissan a ring after easter.
All in all, a productive few hours:)
Had to get my mum to lower the jacks which i held the engine steady, she loves getting involved i think:)
398994_10150776603474047_505344046_11426148_1326889560_n.jpg

spent an hour or so cleaning the 'bay with oven cleaner and an alloy wheel brush. worked pretty well, i didnt go mad, just wanted to get rid of the worst of the grime:)
Also started to swap over the engine pipes and what not, having a bit of trouble with the flywheel bolts, anyone got any good ways to stop the engine turning over?
559920_10150788575274047_505344046_11480760_126234548_n.jpg

581298_10150788574599047_505344046_11480759_593757138_n.jpg

ta guys, will give it another go tomorrow if i get chance socket might be easier because i dont have another person to hold the crank pulley in place

This arrived a couple of days ago!
came in gray/brown:sick: so a got out the rattle cans.
plastic primer, 2 coats of white, then 4 of laccer(sp). really nice and shiny.
and now i can drink hot chocolate on the move and not get it all over my trousers:D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

p.s, im a man so i obviousely dont drink hot chocolate, i drink manly coffee:D
Nice! Where did you get that dash compartment/cup holder from and is it fixed permanently to the dash or does it sit quite happily there?

The car is pretty much back together, running very nice with new cg/cga inlet and injectors:) there is a slight clicking/tapping sound which i dont remember from before but when i listen through the cam cover it doesnt sound like its coming from there, i kinda sounds like the injector solenoids, at least thats what i hope it is:)
Bad news is my p/s pump broken so need a new one (if anyone has one for sale please let me know).
Also cut down my shifter, gear changes feel much better but will test is properly when i get back on the road.

someone wanted pics of the conrods, here you go:
conrod.jpg conrod 2.jpg

Mistery plug if anyone knows what its for??
mistery plug.jpg

A couple of progress shots (much more done since just no pics yet
IMAG0201.jpg IMAG0204.jpg

and finally the short shifter i made up, round tube would have been better but that box fitted a treat and its hidden anyway:)
IMAG0211.jpg IMAG0212.jpg IMAG0213.jpg

lol just saying if i had some.

connects to the oil sensor at the back of the block above the oil filter
arrr, thanks!
yeah, but have you see how they have been butchered? they would get stress fractures in no time... £500 odd wasted in 30 mins of filing.

been doing a few bits and bobs yesterday and today:
made myself a short shifter (seems to work well but not be able to drive the car yet so we'll see
IMAG0211 (Small).jpg

IMAG0212 (Small).jpg

IMAG0213 (Small).jpg

also fitted high flow fuel pump in line, seems to work, very loud! and its taken my fuel pressure up from 2 to 3 bar so not sure if the pressure regulator can handle the extra flow. will see how it runs once the power steering is sorted.

IMAG0259 (Small).jpg

and sorted the IC piping, I was gonna buy new stuff but realised that i have enough already so sorted for free:D
IMAG0251 (Small).jpg

car is running really well now, slightly richer than before for some reason so feels much better with that little bit of boost im allowing myself for the moment :D
been having real trouble with it running lean since the new engine/turbo inlet was fitted so after making a bung to pressurise the inlet system i worked out it was the badly made inlet manifold i did a couple of years back :S poor welding/design coming back to bite me in the bum. we live and learn eh. Anyway, fitted stock manifold and injector rail for now, runny lovely. still a very slight leak from inlet system but nothing major.

NB: to those of us running boost, be careful that the plate coving the MAF PCB is properly sealed, i had a big leak from mine.

So today was the MOT, passed emissions fine but there is a fair bit of sill welding to be done, outers are a fail and inner are advisories so might as well do it all now.
and needs a new tyre and a couple of little things.

Spoke to the tester about 'frank style' steel wheels with spun centres, he seemed fine with it so will make a push to finish mine:)

THE END IS IN SIGHT :D:D

(and so much fun driving it to and from the MOT centre!)

IMAG0269 (Small).jpg

IMAG0282 (Small).jpg

IMAG0283 (Small).jpg

Back