• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Noddie's K11

Car failed the emisions again today:( it seems the CO reading is much improved but the lambda is still in the 1.15 mark, it has improved slightly but the tester thinks it may be down to a small exhaust blow or a sensor fail.
Il have a crawl under to look for a blow asap, hopefully its not a sensor failure as without getting a diagnostic im not sure how to tell which one it would be.

and you,ve got stock injectors and a stock mani and 1st cat on now ed ?

No, no first cat. just an sr20 one in where the 2nd cat is. Took it for a rather spirited drive before the test to make sure it was warm enough.

yeah, so i was worrying, the second one doesnt really get all that hot eh. but the lambda is to do with mixture right, and apparently its running lean, hopefully just due to some air gettinng sucked into the exhaust through a small blow. the co did come right down since the new cat was fitted.

:D:D the car passed its MOT today JUST!!
I found a fair few places where the exhaust was blowing, including the front cat where the bolts that i took out to get the heat shield off had left holes where the bolts used to be, so i put some new bolts in there to plug the holes.
The boys at the MOT place had to run the emisions test a few times as it was still failing, then i turned my back and it passed, so i gave them some beer money for their efforts:)
Hassle over till next year:D

de919b67.jpg

Sorry I couldn't resist :) hope your ok mate

Been collecting bits to make a stainless 'on car adjustable' panhard rod. nearly there, just waiting for a couple of bits of pipe. should be a good first project for my new TIG:)

Had a small mile stone the other day...
attachment.php

And, can you see what it is yet?

attachment.php

I couldnt get 30mm ID stainless tube so i had to get some 26mm ID with thick walls and mill it out to fit the poly bushes.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0121 (Medium).jpg
    IMAG0121 (Medium).jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 788
  • IMAG0116 (Medium).jpg
    IMAG0116 (Medium).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 719
  • IMAG0117 (Medium).jpg
    IMAG0117 (Medium).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 742
  • IMAG0118 (Medium).jpg
    IMAG0118 (Medium).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 730
  • IMAG0120 (Medium).jpg
    IMAG0120 (Medium).jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 739
  • IMAG0114 (Medium).jpg
    IMAG0114 (Medium).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 751
So this afternoon and this evening iv been making my adjustable panhard rod.
First i took off the old rod and made a jig from it to aid making of the new one:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Whilst doing this i realised that one end has to fit over a 17mm bolt! silly me assumed that it would be the same as the other side and the same as the thread:S assumptions eh?
so had to turn out one of the bushes:
attachment.php

Then it was a case of welding it all together:)
attachment.php

And here it is finished! My welds have improved so much with the new tig welder:)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There is enough adjustment on it for any kind of lowering/raising of the car, the only thing i will be adding is a lock nut to stop the turnbuckle turning once its adjusted.

Just looking forward to fitting it now (Y) :D

Attachments

• Finished short end.jpg
    Finished short end.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 875
  • In the making.jpg
    In the making.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 855
  • Larger Bush.jpg
    Larger Bush.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 862
  • Finished Middle.jpg
    Finished Middle.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 890
  • Jig 2.jpg
    Jig 2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 875
  • Finished Long end.jpg
    Finished Long end.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 869
  • Jig 1.jpg
    Jig 1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 874
  • Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 843
Thanks mate!:) yeah, im pretty pleased with how its turned out, just gotta see how it performs now. there is a bit of sideways play from the thread but hopefully that will go once its tight on the car:)

you could file a slot down the threads in the turnbuckle and fit a nylon insert ed (like a nyloc) and that would inhibit any play or movement :grinning:

Wish I had the knowledge and tools to be able to do this kinda stuff :( Looks like some nice, clean work there mate (Y)

Fitted it this morning, Went on no problem:)

you could file a slot down the threads in the turnbuckle and fit a nylon insert ed (like a nyloc) and that would inhibit any play or movement :grinning:
I used some PTFE tape on the threads in the end, seemed like the simplest way and its tightened it up a treat, solid as a rock now:) and no need for a locking nut i wouldnt have thought, il keep an eye on it though.

Wish I had the knowledge and tools to be able to do this kinda stuff :( Looks like some nice, clean work there mate (Y)
Yeah, good tools make the world of difference:)

Nice work looks professional (Y)
Thanks mate! yeah, im very happy with how its turned out(Y)

Before:(
attachment.php

After:)
attachment.php

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 670
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 703
Let us know when/if you make another... I'll have it and be down there to pick the ###### up! (bu.gger?)
Dependant on price of course :p
Looks good though (Y)

Let us know when you make another... I'll have it and be down there to pick the ###### up! (bu.gger?)
Dependant on price of course :p
Looks good though (Y)
Thanks mate! I have got enough parts to make another couple of stainless ones, They would have to be 75quid though, because the materials weren't cheap.

Top stuff ed!! Looks like something out a catalogue!

I hear by declare

The ' NodSpeed Pro ' Adjustable panhard rod available

This Is a steal at £75rrp

Well done!:)

Top stuff ed!! Looks like something out a catalogue!

I hear by declare

The ' NodSpeed Pro ' Adjustable panhard rod available

This Is a steal at £75rrp

Well done!:)
HAHA, cheers man, yeah, i managed to get 3 ship turn-buckles pretty cheap (10quid each) but new they are more like 35:wow:

The 'Nod-Rod' lol
will let you know when i have some funds aside for you. :D
No worries man, Il knock another up when i have some spare time.

well even if you were you are a fan! lol i dont have a clue how to set it up lol.... but i would be prepared to pay-up though (Y)

Ok mate, Il pm you with my account details if that's ok? Otherwise you could send me a cheque? Really not a fan of paypal but if you must use that Il send you my address:) call it 80 posted:) unless you live in China. Pm me and we'll sort it out.

hang on easy up mate :p im going to go lower before i need one mate :p dont exactly have the loose change atm lol... my focus atm is the engine

So today i had a bit of spare time so i welded another bung for my wideband sensor (i used the other one for the narrowband for the ecu):
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

And then iv been feeling a little 'boost jealous' lately so decided to hook mine up on very low boost, retarded the timing to about 5-7Deg BTDC also. Running about 3-4 psi now. bruuuuuuum pssssst :D:D
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bung 1.jpg
    Bung 1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 633
  • Engine bay 3.jpg
    Engine bay 3.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 631
  • Bung 2.jpg
    Bung 2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 632
  • Engine bay 4.jpg
    Engine bay 4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 246
  • Bung 3.jpg
    Bung 3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 634
  • Engine bay 1.jpg
    Engine bay 1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 648
  • Engine bay 2.jpg
    Engine bay 2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 633
So today i had a bit of spare time so i welded another bung for my wideband sensor (i used the other one for the narrowband for the ecu):
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

And then iv been feeling a little 'boost jealous' lately so decided to hook mine up on very low boost, retarded the timing to about 5-7Deg BTDC also. Running about 3-4 psi now. bruuuuuuum pssssst :D:D
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

really loving the work here Ed, wish I could weld :glare: perhaps may take a pollyP route and start learning one day. Oh and whats up with the plastic bag?? : )

So will you be at this Brighton meet then all turbo'd up? be nice to meet you if I end up going..

Cheers

iv been feeling a little 'boost jealous' lately so decided to hook mine up on very low boost, retarded the timing to about 5-7Deg BTDC also. Running about 3-4 psi now. bruuuuuuum pssssst :D:D

you little tinker ed :wasntme: loads of midrange punch ?

you little tinker ed :wasntme: loads of midrange punch ?
Not sure yet, not really had much of a chance to test it out. its definitely more laggy low down, and does pull harder once its on boost. the problem is because iv got the wastegate open a fair bit to keep boost down it takes a while to come on boost. basicly it needs some adjustment yet to get it running properly:) maybe a bit more boost:p

very nice dont often see the turbo in that position but i like it as its quite high
Yeah, i made the manifold to the same spec as the HKS one:)

Any plans for an intercooler? And thats quite a big ass turbo, what size?
Yes, just need some more piping to get it plumbed in. Its only a t2, maybe just the pictures.

really loving the work here Ed, wish I could weld :glare: perhaps may take a pollyP route and start learning one day. Oh and whats up with the plastic bag?? : )

So will you be at this Brighton meet then all turbo'd up? be nice to meet you if I end up going..

Cheers
Hi mate, sorry, missed your post.
Haha, yeah, thought someone would ask what the bag was there for, it contains the loom for the hawk ecu:)
Yeah, should be at the meet. Would be good to see your car! Mine is far from a raging bull yet though. done expect too much:)

Hi mate, sorry, missed your post.
Haha, yeah, thought someone would ask what the bag was there for, it contains the loom for the hawk ecu:)
Yeah, should be at the meet. Would be good to see your car! Mine is far from a raging bull yet though. done expect too much:)

hehe yeah thats ok I thought you did :p ahhh I see so a bit of weather protection I guess for the time being (Y)

I know yours is'nt complete yet but looks great with the progress I've seen so far unlike some turbo/supercharge conversions I've seen in the past which were a bit of slap dash...this is a car to look out for once its done..

Yeah guess Ill most likely pop along to the meet seeing as my uncle is going also.

hehe yeah thats ok I thought you did :p ahhh I see so a bit of weather protection I guess for the time being (Y)

I know yours is'nt complete yet but looks great with the progress I've seen so far unlike some turbo/supercharge conversions I've seen in the past which were a bit of slap dash...this is a car to look out for once its done..

Yeah guess Ill most likely pop along to the meet seeing as my uncle is going also.
Thanks mate:) kind words but I'm afraid the setup is a bit 'home made' Haha.

Been running a bit more boost today to see if it would spool up a bit sooner and try to get a bit more power. It's kind of worked, running about 5psi now but still not much boost till about 4k which is disappointing. Power after 4k is pretty good though. Also not as much power as I had hoped for but I'm pretty sure I'm loosing a lot of power to a very lean mixture. It's a pretty dangerous 16:1 at high load/boost now.
Tbh, I think I will put it back to na till I can afford a map. It's not very daily friendly in this form and I can't be doing with changing the engine at the moment if his one gives way. It is pretty funny seeing peoples faces as I 'tsss' past them though:D
Either that or up the fuel pressure a bit with my adjustable reg.

Also, has anyone got any 2 inch intercooler piping lying around? Would like to get my intercooler plumbed in but lacking some pipe sections:D

dont worry noddie my car is running at 16:1 normally for some queer reason lol

It's a little different with turbo, safe is around the 12-13 mark. Yours should be around 14, I would sort that out if I were you, you will be down on power and its asking for trouble if you push you engine while driving. Do you also have a high idle?

when i come off throttle it sits high for a few seconds ast about 1300rpm then its drops slowly down to the 650rpm...... but if you check my blog youll see the gas readings

Its been a while.
Yesterday I did a little messing around.
Checked for fault codes and found 'crank angle sensor' was playing up. took the dizzy apart and put it back together and the fault has cleared.
So a while ago frank was talking to me about using a second coolant temp sensor placed in the cabin to fool the ecu into running richer because it thinks the engine is cold.
I wouldnt say this is an alternative to mapping!! but it did make my car absolutely FLY! It does however make it nearly undrivable at low revs due to rich misfire. Doing it has showed me how much potential my car has when properly fuelled. VERY chuffed with it!

The car is still filthy and smelly.

heh, ghetto mods ftw ed :)
my dyno graph doesnt lie, nice 13.5:1 a/f/r,s throughout the revs :cool: you just need a microswitch on the throttle eh

Attachments

• SDC11788.JPG
    SDC11788.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 418
thats the same downpipe i need for my setup...lol
lol, yeah. Can you not get a custom one made up? I would offer to do it for you but would need your car and everything down here.

Went out for another little test run just now. The A/F ratio was still getting up to 15:1 on full boost so i think the stock injectors were maxing out. Really i should just get mapping the hawk ecu.

yeah, i will. I could really do with a turbo map from someone who is running a similar setup, that way i can get some kind of base map on the ecu before i try to start the car.

good work/progress here, your doing the same as me and using the tig for everything now arent you lol
cheers:) Yeah, its just so much better than MIG/ARC. Cost me an arm and a leg to buy, but certainly dont regret it...
Edit: but gas is a joke!! Iv got through over 150 quids worth since i got the TIG! still waiting for a very big bottle that should be falling off the back of the BOC truck at some point soon...

Back