• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

"Maxi Micra" project....by EBBdude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for looking in at the Maxi Micra project :)

@1275
The request that you looked for has been conducted in the "Micro Micra " project in this forum , have a look through and you will fiind it. Same results on a 1,3 engine...

@Mintyfresh
The system , when finished hangs clear with 2-3 cm from the the panhardrod.
It sounds realy deep , with a tendense of the car sounding like a much bigger engine on stereoids---ha-ha

@Mr Migs08
Thank you for your guess , will reveal results in the not to far future so keep looking.

@R-REG_SR
The welds are actually all Mig-welding,,,,not TIG :)
it is not to practical to use a TIG under the car when you go along as you have to hold the parts and tack-weld them as you go along and with a TIG you need normally both hands free for welding while MIG style requires just one on the button and one holding the parts that you want to tack.

@Eire
Thank you for comment.
I just wanted to make a system as easy as possible for people to see how it could be done.

@Baguete
The only thing i think could be more proffessional with the looks would be the way i just smacked up the rear silencer but i like quick and functional solutions :)

Ok gys , lets have some more guessing on the outcome of the exhaust system on Hp & Nm,,,,throw out your best numbers here,,,jihaaagrr

Lets go for 10hp!
if mightycarmods has taught me anything it's that red calipers equals 25kw of power so the exhaust must be 10hp! :p

LOL Shaun :D

EBB: Thanks for taking time to take pictures, it's not easy to do and to think about when you're working on a car, with dirty hands. By the way are you working alone of with the help of someone ?

Cheers

@Seb
Thank you for comment :)
Taking pictures if fun and when you share your work with other enthusiasts we all benefit from it. There is always a friend or another car maniac droppping by and lending a hand when the can.

It seem like many now have made a guess of what the results could be with this fantastic new exhaust system :)

Thak you all for participating and being enthusiastic.

Will now have to sit down and formulate some genious written words on the fantastic results of the exhaust modificationgrr

Coming later on today....

For all of You who had some positive numbers on your guess of numbers on the exhaust system build ,you were all wrong :)

Well , I have then tried to finds a smart high-tech way of stating the fabulous results from the work but all I realy needed to do was this :

tn_DSCF7941.JPG

Yes ; NO measurable difference from the OEM exhaust system !
( absolutely through the complete rpm range )

Tested for more than 15 runs , looked for errors , double checked everything but nada and nothing gained at all.
Did a follow up testing series a few days later with the excact same results..

Strangely enough the engine pumped out almost identical Hp & Nm graphs as before.
AFR and Ign was same as before and the AFR graphs were also as good as copy of earlier.

Quite odd , but frankly not to odd , more inspirational and confirming at the same time.

What is crystal clear is that the engine is now allowed to breathe easier at the very last rpm of the operational range ( and beyond todays level ) and it is obvious that other issues as Ex-manifold , inlet manifold , valve / port aereas etc is to be worked at for more power.

Now , even if it is way after its power peaking rpm point , the engine will easily kick up to 7600 rpm+ and it now seem like there is a built in fuel-cut executing some work in there in that high rpm aerea.

When it reaches that high rpm the AFR sky rockets up to 17:1 + range and it almost halts at a total stop immediately. It did not behave like that with the OEM exhaust system at all.
Then it would pull strong all the way up to around 7000-7200 rpm and the AFR would be the same all to the end of the chosen rpm at the tests.

To me , this fact it the true gain with the work of the new exhaust system. It just confirms my path for the rest of the evolution of the Maxi Micra engine room.

The new exhaust system is of course also included in the plan for the coming work with the engines power.

Some refinement of one of these has started :
tn_DSCF6312.JPG

And a total new DIY 4-2-1 tubular manifold is in progress….
And ,,,,and,,,,and,,,,,,,lots more !

Stay tuned to the Maxi Micra channel :)

thats a surprise ebb :eek: it just goes to show that you do need "some" backpressure and is shows that you need to keep a high airspeed flowing through the exhaust system (wherein you can go too big, and cause stalling/turbulence)
the stock system is probably perfectly adequate for upto about 80hp (hence basicly the same system factory fitted to the CGA 1.4 as the 1.0) but your new system will no doubt show gains after you have fitted some decent cams and done some porting and added the nos eh :grinning:

Indeed suprising, but yeah as frank says, there will definately be a point when the available freedom will be notable taken to (Y).

As always, keep it going buddy :).

Well that is a surprise :eek: but good for us who like a nice quiet car, I hardly ever get above 3000 revs these days, but am still really interested in seeing all your results.

I was one of those who removed the T/B mesh a felt a bit improvement in the way the car went with only small throttle movements, it was around 5 mph faster everywhere on the same throttle position :eek: so I shall be leaving mine out.

Looking forwards to seeing the exhaust manifold :)

Well, when i installed the Janspeed system on my 1.0, i didnt felt any gains, maybe little gains on the lower rpm range, but not what i was expecting, only after i installed the 1.3 cams and pod filter it felt like some more power was released. Every mod i've done was always increasing the power on the "butt dyno", but eventualy went to a dyno and it got 80,7hp @ fly. But the exhaust mod by itself doesnt give that much power. I think im not wrong on saying that you must do the mods on this way, first breath mods (air filter), then cams, then exhaust, some bigger injectors to give more fuel and a remap (to squeeze some more rpm's in order to a fully use of the cams). If you want to go further, compression ratio increase...

But almost every japanese car has a small bore exhaust, look at Honda Civic 1.6 160hp, i doesnt have a big bore exhaust for those 160hp, but it works, and even if you want to fit a pod filter, it will have a smaller diameter then a Micra filter. What im trying to say is that you dont need some "stupid" big bore exhaust/intake for getting power...

Exhaust a wasted effort?

There is an interesting consideration to the Dudes findings. An engine very similar to the Micra's was used by the BMW K100 (16v)motorbike in the 80's. It gave 100bhp(we wont get into the breeding of these horses and the dyno's used) It was a very well developed engine and when some tried to race it struggled to increase power by more than 10% which was obtained mostly by a change to the exhaust to a race(noisey) system. Other tweaks gave marginal improvements, but none came onto the market as the cost/benifit numbers did not stack up as the only way it was going to be tuned was via a total rework as a race engine. This was never going to happen to an engine so obviously unsuitable as a bike race engine. That engine has stood the test of time and is still today a wonderfull road engine when low end power, part throttle operation and fuel consumption are important. Unlike the micra where some parts look to be from the 50's(ex manifold, Inlet trunking etc) it was fully optimised in most areas......it had an oversize air filter, an ex manifold which the car world might consider a race item. Cams that enabled the engine to rev 20% higher and an injector system for each cylinder. Without the compromises that Nissan had to consider in a car, BMW took their engine to give another 80% more power. This gives an indication of what a Micra might produce when fully optimised to fast street criteria. These engines are so good, there is a small industry fitting them(and 8V versions) to A series Mini crankcases

Some previous trials in the thread have given no improvement and have been disregarded as of no use. If there are severe restrictions elsewhere in the system, a potential improvement will not show up at all, or be marginal. So discounting tuned pipe lengths which have not been discussed, this has led some to assume that the new exhaust is indeed "no better" than a std set up. This may well be so, but as it appears that the part of the injection system is limiting power by reaching a maximum fuel flow which does not increase with rpm hence the weak mixture which risks overheating. It is the whole "package" that is important so this mod together with all the others can only be considered fully if all other areas are optimised as part that precise package.

All the above is a bit long winded, but shows just how the Dude is trying to take us along a simple path which trys to avoid the complications of engine tuning and educate us all along the way.

Keep it up my man!

Thanks again all for looking :)

@Frank
The oem system is a gret thing for lower levels of power ( at least in terms of Hp / liter.)
If we looke at the limitations we are just about there now.

@baguete
Put in perspective the single modification of onle a ex-manifold is never able to fullfill the desires of a enthusiast , that is why we make small step adjustments to all minute details and try to set which thing to do first and last.
Do it right and you will normally get positive results. Do it wrong and you will definitely need more time and effort to get i right :)

@Knobbly69
Indeed so:)
Many rights and wrongs appear as you go along any given engines development path.
Being a avid engine man myself i have found so many ways of getting power out of them that i belive that there are no given set of " rules " that sticks to all engines.

Work with one oldtimer like a Sunbeam Avenger 1,6 , 8v engine and you will find its limitation based upon the complete structural design of that engine.

Digging into a 20 v Audi 1,8 T and the rules have change completely and you are at a new ballgame at once.

Or for thats sake edge out 750 Hp , with turbo , out of a Cosworth 2,0 l and you will quick see what goes or doesnt.

Take it from there and then do it easy peasy becomes just wrong as highly developed engines never do come easy and never will.

The Maxi Micra project can be easy and quite understandable or it can get overly complicated giving people the sense of getting nowhere in understanding how they can easily get some gains.

My intention is to show some of the easy stuff and just touch , in a easy way , some of the more,,,lets say time consuming but understandable stuff involved.

As you say , it is the whole " package " that matters and as they say over here in Norway when you want to go to a longer mountain trip on : plan ahead and all will be fine :)

That is the essence in the Maxi Micra project , small plans and steps for development and hopefully the trips comes along great.

More 2 come on the MAxi Micra project :)

@alexzaki
There will be some more testing with the modified oem manifold before the diy 4-2-1 enters the scene :)
How is the flanges coming along ?

I gave everything to the guy who's doing it for me. Guess he will take it at the end of the week to get it laser cut (Y) Slowly we are moving :laugh: No hurry hehe

The results up til now in the ” Maxi Micra ” project has been good and in full DIY style without going to the step of buying exspesive stuff or unneccesary parts that doesnt give us any gains.

Most of the steps can also easily be done by most enthusiasts.

The time has now come to exsplore some more into the little engines performance.

The N20 system is ready for action but i want to look some more at the OEM engine components and see if i can get some more power out of it.

I will now do some more DIY digging in the engines secrets, working with mostly the standard parts and modify them and see of i can squeeze out more

Will try to show some work on the following stuff , nothing fancy or high tech , just a little bit of enthusiasm intp details…

These are the things i will look into :

Inlet manifold = make more efficient / increase capacity

Pistons = make a high compr version out of the stock 1,3 pistons

Cylinderhead = increase capacity , increase compression
Valve lifters = modify to lighter and “shimless”
Valvesprings = harder
Valves = marginally larger

Camshafts = DIY regrind for more lift

Exhaust manifold = modify for more capacity,,worj with the old one.

After having worked some bit in my Flow-bench :
tn_flowfør.JPG

With the cylinderhead ,intake and exhaust I have calculated some numbers and found out that they will be able to support my next level of evolution in theis monster of an engine.
I want to push some more air into the cylinders , fix a higher compression ratio and get some better working details in there.

My only demand is ;
USING AS MANY STOCK OEM PARTS AS I POSSIBLE CAN IN THE PROCESS !

Will show quite a lot of stuff and it will all lead to a conclusion in the end.

Enough babble , lets dig into the practical stuff , with the first work :
tn_oeminl.JPG

The OEM inlet has worked fine up till now and I have decided to work some more with this.

It has got tremendous small intake-runners and exits and I will do something about it
tn_oeminl2.JPG

Look at the plenum and it’s a sad picture that the luch-ingenieurs at Nissan made on a late Frdiay afternoon.
tn_oemplen.JPG

I need dimensions like these in my manifold :
tn_gasketcomp.JPG

throughout the full length of the intake runners but I will need to use quite a weird modification method to get to that goal.

Enough said , first I will strip the inlet manifold for all loose parts.
tn_varme.JPG

Stripping away
tn_varm2.JPG

After that is done here is what I will start with :
tn_inklar.JPG

Next is to chop up the manifold into several pieces
tn_sag1.JPG

Chop , Chop , Chop
tn_SAG2.JPG

tn_SAG3.JPG

My chopping is now complete and here you can see what the fuzz is all about
tn_split1.JPG

Now I can get to all of the internal runners and work on their dimensions.

tn_split2.JPG

Increasing the capacity is my first mission with this manifold

More to come on the inlet soon….

The "Dudes" pics not loading!

Am I alone in not being able to load the Dudes pics in his last entry? I am only getting red x's in a small box. Is this because I have a pop up or similar filter preventing it, or perhaps its the file size as they are slow loading, so I presume they must be big. Its so frustrating as this thread has been so good.

What do I need to do to see these pics?

Thank you

Ebb, you are a true credit to the Micra community!

honestly i've never read such a thorough and well thought out guide!

Looking forward to see how you will open up the inlet, will you also be getting rid of the flanges seem to be present on the inside of the "plenum chamber"?

I really have enjoyed reading, and i have to say im quite upset i can't read more! haha but in a good way obviously!
What do you do by the way? it's just that you seem to own pretty much every machine you could possibly need lol!
Keep up the good work dude!
Matt(Y)(Y)(Y)

I bow into the dust and thank you all for comments :)

It gives me great pleasure to contribute to the Micra scenes and sharing the material i gather as i happily join a learnful ride myself with these small cool cars :)

All this was never intended , it just is a natural result of me being curious of all technical stuff with cars.

You could say that this is my pms period before working with my other projects.--ha-ha-ha !

Will add some more material of the inlet work later on today....

That's gonna be interesting. Great work as usually Erik (Y) Can't wait to see how you'll correct Nissan's laziness :laugh:

Greetings,
Alex

Oki lads , here are more of the ” Evo ” inlet build for the Maxi Micra.

Have now chopped up the manifold and shall start machining throughout the intake manifolds runners and plenum.

I have marked up my new dimensions with a marking pen and commence with the work.

As i go along I check all progress with some simple tools like this one innside the runners
tn_mål1.JPG

Using several types of grinder heads like this one for Aluminium
tn_slip1.JPG

Now we are closing in on the work being done to the side head side of the intake runner part
tn_mål3.JPG

Afterwards , the other side will be machined
tn_intrac.JPG

The plenum itself will get its desired dimensions and profiles
tn_plen1.JPG

One side finished and one can have a look to compare before and after
tn_plencomp.JPG

When the silence has reached the workplace once again after lots of grinding / machining it looks like this
tn_slipferd.JPG

Can you see the difference from before ?
tn_plenferd.JPG

More of the inlet build soon…
:blues:

Last part of the Maxi Micras inlet build :

Now I will Tig-weld together all the modified parts and I use a piece of aluminium bolted onto the flange of the manifold that will hold the 2 parts together correctly.
tn_platfest.JPG

Cranking up the Tig-machine and lay down some melted aluminium , first at the plenum
tn_tig1.JPG

The at the runners themselves from plenum to flange at cylinderhead
tn_tog2.JPG

Finished welding and i will now powder-coat the inlet manifold with , what the producers of the powder says is , a heat refelective layer of a powder that also gives a nice finish.

Here I have blasted on the powder with the equipment I have
tn_pulvlak.JPG

The finished and cured inlet manifold together with a spacer that another avid Micra fans wanted me to build
tn_herd.JPG

Closeup of the manifold with the powder coat
tn_ferdlakk.JPG

Before and after
tn_DSCF7849.JPG

Here is another before and after picture
tn_forett1.JPG

Thats about it for the inlet manifold and i have made a small cool vidoe of the process to look at :

[video=youtube;u49W8VnVOVY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u49W8VnVOVY[/video]

Is that cool or what ?

Later dudes :)

I am seriously considering buying a decent mig/tig welder. really really nice work EBB, but what stopped you making a complete new inlet manifold? that looked like alot of work, might it not have been easier to just make one out of a plenum chamber and pipes? Where do you think the restrictions in the new in/manifold are or do you think its pretty much perfect now?

This is just great work, the stuff dreams are made of and your actually doing it for real, i would love to have the time to play with stuff like this, but sadly i dont at the moment, looking forward to seeing the results of your fine work..keep it up..(Y)

@Frank
Thanks man :)

@Noddie
If you read further up in my posts you will find this that i wrote :

"My only demand is ;
USING AS MANY STOCK OEM PARTS AS I POSSIBLE CAN IN THE PROCESS "

That is the only reason for using the OEM manifold.
And having done many such projects like this it is actually not THAT much work when you know what to do and when to do :)

@blobbltec
Time is relevant or ?
Someone watches the telly , someone goes to the pub,,,i grind metal:laugh:
Seriously , thanks for looking and do buy a Tig welder and you will blossom in your eager to learn more...

That's going to make a hell of a difference, judging by what I have seen other alternative intake modifications do.

First , thanks again for all the positive comments , appreciate it:grinning:

This manifold will indeed not bring out miracle numbers at this stage.
It is rather built for the future of the Maxi Micra and whats coming later on this mad trip on steroids :)

It is integrateed with what i wrote earlier :

Quote :

"These are the things i will look into :

DONE: Inlet manifold = make more efficient / increase capacity

Pistons =
-DIY make a high compr version out of the stock 1,3 pistons

Camshafts =
-DIY regrind for more lift

Cylinderhead =
-DIY increase capacity , increase compression
-DIY Valve lifters = modify to lighter and “shimless”
-DIY Valvesprings = harder
-DIY Valves = marginally larger

Exhaust manifold =
- DIY modify for more capacity,,worj with the old one. "

My next mission now will be to do some high compression pistons,,,,,DIY way :)

Keep looking.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back