• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

EBBdude`s : Micro Micra project

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pictures are ok now , was just my pals server that had minor changes done to.

Anyways you can now see my blingy valve cover :)

Definatelly subscribed...

I believe that without a remap so to have the correct timing there will be no significant gains. Maybe 5ps+

Then we have the results of the camshaft changes in the Micro Micra project.

Hk :
tn_div%201385.jpg

Nm :
tn_div%201386.jpg

That means that just by adding the 1.3 camshafts directly bolt on we went from :

55,8 hp to 62,3 Hp = + 6,5 Hp !!

Nm from 78,4 Nm to 81,8 Nm = + 3,4 Nm

Now it is time for me to close this project by showing what the total result was after our little journey with the Micro Micra project :

tn_div%201393.jpg

TOTAL RESULTS MICRO MICRA PROJECT :
+22,7 Hp
+19,6 Nm

:)

SUMMARY ( short version ):
The Micro Micra project was done completely during a period of 30 days in November 2009 as a project just to show what can be done in an easy and non-sofisticated way.

More then 100 000 viewings on several forums worldwide during the last year shows that it has cought some peoples attention and i appreciate all the comments that has been given.

tn_div%20732.jpg

The Micro Micra has now rolled many thousands Km on the street without a single fault after it was finished as a project.

It has participated in several events as Autoslalom , track and street events and there has only been positive feedback everywhere it showed up the last year.

The proud new owner with a fresh drivers license will hopefully enjoy this little car even more than we did working on it.

Thank you for looking at the Micra Micra project !:grinning:

Aha awesome ebb, was dam sure it'd be more then 5 HP in gain because of the other modification contributing (Y).

I think you should try this with a Micra over 100k miles now and over 11 years, i think it'd prove to be a challange with many different problems that could go wrong (Siezing screws, sludgy engines, dodgey jumpy throttlebodys ftw) and trying to restore the HP and torques xD, look forward to watching the 1.3 model grow and grow, great job man.

Thank you for your information, all bar the ex manifold is easily done by most of us and with little cost too. Could you post a final view of the engine performance as a graph for power and torque? The cams would be expected to give an increase higher up the rev range and a decrease in power or perhaps a decrease in response lower down the rev range. The bare figures quoted do not suggest this, but a little more final info would be welcome

You also now have a velocity stack fitted, but the power gains are not quantified, could you throw some more light on the gains for one seperately. You stated that the N15 airbox did not give an increase in itself, but for most of us an open inlet is not a good idea with dust grinding away our engine. You also knocked out the centre of the 1st cat. Did this have much effect on the emmissions and how much in relation to your equivelent to our yearly MOT test.

Aditionally what is your view on the cool air supply that is constatly sought. I can see the potential improvement in a very warm climate, but here in the uk and with yourself during the winter is a warmish air supply not a good idea to ensure a good air/fuel - vapourisation/mix. During the 70's and 80's many cars had a duel air intake route. One for summer and a heated supply over the ex manifold for the winter. Was this only because of the non-adjustability of a carbs mixture and invalid with the auto adjusting of mixture by a injection system? You have given up on this Holy Grail by fitting the velocity stack, so in your experience is a less restrictive air supply better than a cool one.

Finally, what happened to the fuel consumption. Most of the engines design parameters were left well alone, this suggests that if the extra performance is not used it does not suffer. What have you found?

Thank you again, I salute you and look forward to your improvements with the Maxi 1.3L.

Nigel

Thank you all again for viewing and the ” thanks ”.

The Micro Micra project was only ment to be a easy and straight forward way to show some DIY approach to get some more power out of it.

Each step and level of modification will have multiple questions / answers and a full range of variables to question / discuss etc. This leaves plenty of room for spending more time in front the pc then the complete time spent at the project.

As I mentioned , the project was framed into a 30 days span , almost just for fun to get some numbers out of it and let people see for themselves what is and what is not.

During this period we pulled over 350 dynoruns on the DYNAPACK and gathered HUGE amounts of info as we went along. All this info would take logistics as the London subway to present in its minute form / content and that is not within reach of the frames of such a project.

It will be in the hands of the reader to absorb , read , understand , misunderstand or just simply do as they please with the presented material .

My intention was just to let other enthusiasts participate in the process at a “light “ level.

Some brief feedback on questions :
-The torque / power curves will be a variable at any of the levels touched in the project.
At any level / step there will also be many different ways of either enhancing / dumping the positive or negative trends that shows up .

Do one thing and you get payback because of doing it , do another and you get punished at that point of the process.
That’s is why I havent emphasized on each levels micro-details regarding either torque , Hp or for that sake any other area of involved parameters.

-Using a “air-horn “ is just one way of getting the job done. It is being used daily as a to-from-school car WITH a foam filter on top of the horn just as any other conventional air-filter element would do the job at cleaning the air before it enters the engine.

Make a cold-air inlet with tubes or whatever in addition and you will again have another scenario of details to look at and so on……see what I mean with multiple solutions / questions / answers ?

Edit ; the Micro just passed it "mot " over her not long ago , just as it did last year in a routine control and it even ran cleaner with the ripped cat as it was completely burnt down as many of them are and they do a terrible job in helping the enviroment as a piece of burnt charcoal...

Regarding fuel consumption the Micro Micra just came back after more than a 700 Km roundtrip to the most southern part of Norway where a identical 1.0 Micra joined us on the journey.

Here is by the way a nice picture from the trip in beautiful Norwegian scenery:
tn_PA090001.JPG

The Micro Micra did it by having a nearly 12 % better mileage during the trip.
Shows to go that you can easily have it both. More power and good mileage.
It will also at any time leave the other Micra in the dust if needed :)

I know that such a project will bring about many unanswered questions and that is just the way it is.

Hopefully each and every reader has got something out of it or if nothing else you might just have got inspired to join the Micra community by reading it !
(Y)

Would like to thank you for all the time and effort you put into this thread!!

I will definently attemp all the mods i can, when i have the money.

Any chance of a in car acceleration video, showing the tacho??

(Y) Following you new thread now:grinning:

On behalf of the project i say thank YOU all for looking and comments.
Makes it even more enjoyable to be a enthusiast.

there is no tacho by the way in the car so have no vids of that im afraid :)

On behalf of the project i say thank YOU all for looking and comments.
Makes it even more enjoyable to be a enthusiast.

there is no tacho by the way in the car so have no vids of that im afraid :)

Not even a mph speed guage?? Wanted to see how it picked up:grinning:

EBBdude, do you think I could copy-paste all mods you have done and turn my 1.0L automatic into a monster? :)

All of the changes done to the Micro Micra can be done to an automatic car.
There wouldnt be to many reasons not to be able to :)

Following on from the air intake trumpet I thought I'd share my set-up (hope you don't mind EBB) it just seems like a good place to show it.
The trumpet is almost a perfect match for the T/B, if you had the T/B out a tiny bit of blending would give the perfect transition form the trumpet to the T/B and the outer is an interference fit into the lip as well. It just needs a small shave off the airbox top cover to clear the trumpet.

Picture068.jpg

I've just tried it to see what she does, normally I don't go much above 50. Amazingly she has just pulled 6500 revs in fourth! on a slight downhill stretch. I'll let you do the maths on that, and that's the only mod I've done to the engine, which by the way is a stock 1275.
I'm pretty amazed I have to say. I'd not tried a run before the mod so can't really say how much faster it is, although it really does feel much perkier.

Aye, the 1.3 or 1.275 haha certainly has a beaut amount of grunt, with decent air flow (and that lovely clean filter) CG engines appreciate good clean air!,

I went and chopped the stock induction piping on my 1.0 and boy does the airflow help at low revs, i'm normally used to going up hills in 3rd (as a general rule for all hills) but i tackle hills in 4th now (some not all) and you can actually hear the sound of air being sucked in (along with available power being quite nice) i can pull full revs in 3rd, i think it'l do 4th happily too, but i've my eyes set on a nice 1.3 which hopefully i will have veerrry soon, muahaha.

So you've removed the mesh and fitted the trumped hey, im guessing engines air is slightly cooler as it passes through that point (Y).

tn_div%20732.jpg

I was re-reading the topic, and I just noticed that you had wipers on the headlights :D Classy dude !

ive seen them type of spacers used with carbs. not entirely sure why tho.

its quite simple. a longer inlet tube promotes low down torque, whereas a shorter inlet trumpet promotes higher end power. obviously power and torque are linked. the most basic way of explaining it is this. power is equal to angular velocity (torque) multiplied by revs, multiplied by another factor (cant remember). if you've got a diesel, or an 8V engine, yo're probably best off having a longer inlet, to promote the low down torque, giving you that lovely push feeling as you set off. if however, you've got a high revving 4V per cylinder or more engine, a shorter inlet should be better. i read about a guy who put jenvey ITBs on his mk4 fiesta. he had to put 60mm inlet spacers on once he'd put a front upper strut brace on (because it fouled) and he lost 25bhp peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back