• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

"Maxi Micra" project....by EBBdude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite but will show you all Frank in not to far future :)

Cant decide what next to show next as i have lots stuff grr

@baguete
Thank you agian :)
The " system " is in testing mode and will be presented a bit later.

ANYONE :

THE MAXI MICRA NEED A SET OF INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WITH RPM COUNTER , DOES ANYONE HAVE ONE FOR SALE ?

On my list over DIY modifications i have done, with this level in the Maxi Micra set up, the inlet manifold and high-compression pistons can be checked out.

Inlet manifold =
more capacity DIY FINISHED

Pistons =
Higher compression / lighter. DIY FINISHED

Camshafts = DIY FINISHED
More lift.

Cylinderhead = DIY
-more capacity
-valvelifte modification , shimless
-valvespring , harder
-valves , bigger

OEM Ex-manifold
-more capacity

4-2-1 Ex-manifold DIY

So the next im going to dig into is a nice cylinderhead for the Maxi Micra.

It will be a long trip but worth every step of the way for both me and possibly for the wiever of the thread.

Any engine that you are trying to increase the performancelevel of will benefit from a complete and thorrow work process regarding the cylinderhead and the accompanying other steps involved.

The amount of details put into it will often dictate the direct result you will get as you in the end hammer down the pedal too the metal.

What each cylinderhead need is a individual thing and so is the need for the Maxi Micra.
tn_flowbenk1.JPG

I have done a full analysis and calculated through my flowbench work and engine analyzer what the necessary steps will be.

But enough talk , lets dig into the practical stuff.

This 1,3 engien will be the donor of a cylinderhead to the project.
tn_donor.JPG

Lots of work will be put into it and I will try to show you some of it.

The head is fully dismantled and put through a machine wash
tn_vask_2.JPG

Then I pull out all the valves and the rest of parts inside it.
tn_ventbue.JPG

( as i didnt have a picture of that i just show a ga14 instead )

More update coming soon….

whats your opinion on the flow values of the stock head EBB ? (and where are the bottlenecks ? )

@Frank
The biggest botleneck is not in the head but in the inlet manifold.
That is why i did the inlet manifold first to get the flow numbers out of that before i started working with the head.

OEM cylinderhead can support quite a punch , even in stock form but i would say that it is as everything else ; whats your preference.

I want to make a hard pulling engine , with as good as NO new parts bought at all for increased performance and that leaves me with no choice.
I have to get many small details to work better and that is also the case with the cylinderhead.

Want the gearchanges in the 8500 rpm range with full power and Nm all the way up toward 7000-7200 rpm. ( yes in the 1,3 engine )

Will show you some more details as i go along :)

@Baguete
Of course i will keep you posted :)

TO ALL :

THE MAXI MICRA IS STILL IN THE NEED FOR A INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WITH RPM COUNTER;;;;;ANYONE THAT CAN GET ME ONE OR HAVE ONE FOR SALE ????

As i want this cylinderhead to be spotless before commencing works on it I will remove the end-plugs in the oil-gallery.

That’s very important as sludge and other stuff is easily left in there and will collect grinding dust etc as I machine the head.

Drilling out the oem oil gallery plugs like this
tn_plugg1.JPG

Then setting some 6x1mm with a tap
tn_plugg2.JPG

Using my DIY built puller
tn_pluggverk.JPG

Pullingo ut the plugs easily
tn_plugg3.JPG

I`ll measure them and store them till i have made some new later on when all work is done
tn_plugger.JPG

Now the head is partially clean
tn_grovvask.JPG

That’s not good enough for me so ill do some more work and now I am satisfied
tn_ferdvask.JPG

Now it is spotless , 100 % clean in all the oil-channels and the critical end aereas of them behind the removed oil-plugs.

Not to shabby i have to say
tn_DSCF7245.JPG

These OEM valves will now be stored for something in the future,,,another project of some sort…you never know !
tn_oemventiler.JPG

Now I am ready to so my work on the “ Evo “ Maxi Micra cylinderhead and there will be lots of details put into it

Who wants to see more ?

me i want to see more, i suspect ga14 valves lol

good work btw, shame you couldnt enlighten us anymore to the custom ground cams,

Although I have no the abilities nor the knowledge to do what you're showing here, I read every post with a great pleasure and interest.
It's fantastic to know there are people as mad as you EBB out there :):):0
Show us moooooore! :)

Woah awesome EBB, you should open like, you know them museums? except museus are often full of boring things, you should do your machine shop like that xD haha.

Excellent clearing the engine, excellent job in general!

Keep it up fella

Thanks for your enthusiasm guys :)

A special THANKS to Frank that got involved and got the Maxi Micra a new instrument cluster with a rev counter !

There will be more , more and even more to come soon...:laugh:

@shaun
Thank you for looking :)

Here is more on the Evo head build :

This cylinderhead will have some differences from a OEM one after i am finished.
All will be done in full DIY style.

Bewfore i start some heavy work i will need to log some valve heights to ease my work later on.

The valvestems height from the springs pedestall area will be of importance
tn_ohvent.JPG

To be able to get a reference measurement i will need to make i little gizmo from Alu-axle.

Run the bolt in my lathe and work it a bit
tn_tool1.JPG

Set my desired inner dia , lenght and dia
tn_tool2.JPG

Looks like this when finished
tn_fintool.JPG

With this little gizmo i can now get a reference height for the protrusion of the valve stems from the base of the valve spring pedestall aerea.
tn_valvhei.JPG

Then i just scribe down the numbers on a A4 sheet of paper and keep it for later.

Finally I can start developing a better and more efficient cylinderhead for tha Maxi project.
Have made a plan of what I want to do to reach my finally target.

First challenge is to create a more efficient combustion chamber to give me more turbulens for more efficiency it higher rpms , higher torque and also giving me a higher compression ratio,,,,all this without any sacrifice of total flow potensial needed.

Easy...?

To be seen...

well i can see blueing on the exhaust ports so guessing there being opened out, will be interesting to see what else you do to the head, as it just so happens i have some re-profiled cams and a spare head at home lol

Here is more of the cylinder head build :

Lay down some machinist blue around the combustion chamber and put the head gasket that i am going to use on top of it.
tn_DSCF7354_1.JPG

Then i scribe the area to get an idea of how the actual chamber where the combustion will find place will look like.
tn_omriss_1.JPG

Testing out different designs in the chamber with modelers clay
tn_fill2.JPG

Running flow-test between in the Flow-bench to find best suited solution.
tn_flowbenk1_1.JPG

I need to get to my desired level without giving away any of the flow potencial for maximum estimated power level.

Have made up my mind and prepare the cylinder head for Tig-welding
tn_readtig.JPG

Running a warm up cycle first and then it is just a matter of welding in material.
tn_chambtig.JPG

To be opdated soon…

Since i forgot to do it when i showed my DIY camgrinding i just throw it in here :

[video=youtube;lZ8m0c339LM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ8m0c339LM[/video]

Enjoy

@alexaki

Thanks,,,,,buy the way , when i saw your snow pictures i feel lucky as hell here in Norway.
NO SNOW AT ALL :)
And i can drive around as a mad man probably some weeks more before it hits us,,,i hope.

Its getting close to Christmas so i have to hurry up a bit on the Maxi Micra project.
Have more projects waiting to work on...

Here is more cylinderhead stuff.

Now the job with machining the cylinderhead starts and they will give me my desired dimensions on the different ports and chambers.

Here the machining of the exhaust ports has started and using the milling machine on a program set up by me.
tn_DSCF7368.JPG

It works in several steps inward the exhaust runners.

Inlet runners being done in same way , step by step
tn_DSCF7371.JPG

Then lots of hand work with different tools follow.

Exhaust
tn_DSCF7400_1.JPG

Inlet
tn_DSCF7409.JPG

Adjusting the inlet manifold gasket here
tn_DSCF7486.JPG

Runners and chambers are now done and i will commence the work on some used , bigger valves , from another jap car that i am going to put in there.

More in a bit…

That looks very good, some very hard work and commitment being put into it. The air flow area is looking good, that is going to be one machine of a head haa

(Y)

Thanks for looking again all :)

@Liio
I belive the right term is ; Blood , sweat & tears... :)
Just kidding. This is actually quite rutine stuff but it might be new for some of the enthusiasts here in the Micra community , i dont know.

But i like to show it so that everyone can see what it takes to go from one level to the next and so on.

Erik you're lucky you have no snow hehe. I froze my ass off while changing the clutch cable 2 days ago as it broke up :wow: At least the car runs now grr

Alex , i feel quite lucky compare to you then :=)
I have had my fair share of working in the snow over here , belive me.
Last year i had to dig my car out at least 5 times just in January....brrrrrr :)

Thanks for looking again all :)

@Liio
I belive the right term is ; Blood , sweat & tears... :)
Just kidding. This is actually quite rutine stuff but it might be new for some of the enthusiasts here in the Micra community , i dont know.

But i like to show it so that everyone can see what it takes to go from one level to the next and so on.

Haa yes i bet there has been hard times. It is very good that you are doing what you are, as you said it gives an insight to others, and for others to know what can be achieved etc. Good on you mate

(Y)

@Liio
I cant garantee pidgeon up my sleeves but some pretty cool metal parts will probably fall down onto the bench on my way to a fisnished state of crazyness :)

Here is more on the valves:

tn_DSCF7257.JPG

The upper ones is the OEM 1,3 engine valves and the lower ones the 1,6 mm bigger valves that I am going to modify to go into the Evo head for the Maxi Micra.

The valves are bigger , longer and will provide more potencial in my complete build.

They are not my perfect choice but as they are free and were laying around in a box in my garage ill use them as best I can.

My new valves will be modified in every direction possible but the first I need to do is to grind the valve seat area in them
tn_DSCF7410_1.JPG

Doing that in my valve grinding machine like this
tn_DSCF7412.JPG

The lot together on the shelf waiting for more work
tn_DSCF7416.JPG

Since these valves are longer I need to adjust the height and set a new position for the valve stem groove for the 2 halves that locks the valves to the retainers.

A dab of machinist blue
tn_DSCF7506.JPG

Then I mark the new valves on the stem for the height of the new groove. The OEM valve to the right has been the model for the new height on the new valves.

tn_DSCF7503.JPG

Transferring height by scribing a line with the diy tool

Turning a new groove in the stem using my lathe
tn_DSCF7508_1.JPG

When I am done I will control the fit of the locks and retainer very thorrow
tn_DSCF7509.JPG

tn_DSCF7510.JPG

it needs to be 100 % perfect to hold the valves at my expected 8500 + rpms without risk of dropping the valves…

Even more update soon…

Thanks again for looking guys :)

@Super ls
The valves are from a Suzuki

@R-reg
At least we are doing major surgery inside the cylinderhead :)

Great work again ebb, i still don't understand how you achieve higher lift on the cams without adding material to the extremes of the cam lobes..? great work, homegrown engineering at its best..:grinning:

i still don't understand how you achieve higher lift on the cams without adding material to the extremes of the cam lobes..?

It's all to do with the difference in height from the base circle of the cam and the peak, because the base circle is now smaller the difference between that and the peak of the lobe is now bigger! hence the greater lift.
and rather than fitting shims to make up for the difference we now know he is going to make up the difference with the longer valves, so what has been taken away from the cam base circle will be added to the length of the valve.

I hear you brother.. now i get it.. simples really.. thanks:p

Great work again ebb, i still don't understand how you achieve higher lift on the cams without adding material to the extremes of the cam lobes..? great work, homegrown engineering at its best..:grinning:

and some secrets i think?

@stani
the inlet valve is not normally able to cope with the heat as often htere arer different materials in the In and Ex valves.
On some engines it can be done thoug.

@blobbltec
Good that you now understand.

@R-reg
Not to many secrets in this i think , just knowledge :)
It is a esy way yeah... :)

I have now my modified cylinderhead , my used and bigger , longer valves form another Jap car and my homegrinded camshafts.

I now need some link between the camshafts and the valves so I will then , in a DIY fashion , modify my old OEM valve lifters that used to have shims , to a shimless type.

Here are my OEM lifters and i have removed all the shims
Shims = dead weight and i dont need that at 8500 + rpms
tn_shimsut.jpg

tn_DSCF7740.JPG

Well , i ll just put the lifter into my lathe and remove this edge and adjust the height as i want it to be.

Almost done here now
tn_DSCF7741.JPG

Grinding a nice radius at the top of the lifter
tn_DSCF7776.JPG

Here is the finished result , LHS is OEM and RHS is mine without shim.
tn_DSCF7739.JPG

Does it work ?,,,,,have a look later and find out.

Ready for action
tn_DSCF7746.JPG

The weight of 1 shim
tn_DSCF7749.JPG

Weight of one lifter before i start working it
tn_DSCF7742.JPG

Weight of modified shimbucket
tn_DSCF7743.JPG

Doesnt look like much but put all the shims at the scale and it is another ballpark
tn_DSCF7748.JPG

Low weight on these parts in the valvetrain is very good and at the same time i dont need to worry about shims coming loose / dropping out at my anticipated 8500+ rpms gearshifts.

Controlling the ” footprint ” of the cam-lobes after process
tn_DSCF7779.JPG

tn_DSCF7780.JPG

DIY lifters , shimless and valves to be used
tn_DSCF7838.JPG

Here are all the DIY details that will help providing more powa` in the future in the Maxi Micra
tn_DSCF7753.JPG

Now there are a bit fewer things remaining in the cylinderhead job so have a look in later dudes !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back