• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

EBBdude`s : Micro Micra project

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is time to do some more work on the Micro Micra project.

We are now going to look some more at these things
tn_div%201114.jpg

tn_div%201136.jpg

Will show some work on them to see if we can tweek some more out of this little fellow here.

The OEM ex-manifold didnt interest Nissan any much at all.
tn_div%201146.jpg

Rather poorly designed and very small passages internally , specially in the “neck “ area of the manifold.

The cat is also very often showing up to be a pain in the a…
tn_div%201148.jpg

This one also with a not so good bolts in it that I am going to fix.

My goal is just to find out if the manifold , via very simple approach , can be reworked to give us some more ompa ompa.
Nothing professional , just plain and easy understandable stuff.

Oki , lets find some stuff to work with here:
tn_div%201169.jpg

I have some junk pipes laying around and I will find something here to improve the manifold with.

I will try to cut the oem manifold open like this:
tn_div%201157.jpg

A couple of swift cuts with a angle grinder and voila :
tn_div%201155.jpg

Here you can se the internals of the manifold and the small passages inside it.

My approach is quite simple and straight foreward.
Cut , add & weld !

But since i am a workaholic i thought i start doing this :
tn_div%201159.jpg

Strap it onto my milling machine and mill the heck out of it

When it is finished it looks like this:
tn_div%201163.jpg

Some grinding i did too innside.

Cut some pipes and dont know what…
tn_div%201170.jpg

Basically I just swapped the cut out part with these parts:
tn_div%201179.jpg

I pre-heated the hole lot on a cooking plate , Tig-welded the lot in a jig and it was only about 0.3 mm out of shape after it was finished.

That I just shimmed in my surface grinder like this :
tn_div%201176.jpg

Put a couple of layers of some heat paint over it :
tn_div%201191.jpg

Presto !

Now it hopefully will work some better.
Before ;
tn_div%201138.jpg

You can see that i also welded in a new place to put the 02-sensor in.
After ;
tn_div%201187.jpg

The Cat got some bolts repaired and I ripped out the internal web of cat-material that was all melted rock hard
tn_div%201148_1.jpg

Put some paint just for fun on that one as well:
tn_div%201172.jpg

In the car it looks like this :
tn_div%201260.jpg

Have put in a new o2-unit as well.

Jihaaa,,,,now for todays quiz :
WHAT HAPPENED ON THE DYNAPACK NOW THEN ?
Good or bad you think ?

Lets hear it folks !

i really think that manifold(stock) is so restrictive-----maybe 10 bhp hiding in them pipes somewhere
would it have made a difrunce where the sensor was relocated
i seen it on the janspeed were two pipes merge not on the whole gas exit-ing

hasn't frank already done this with a oem mani fwn several times and i'm pretty sure it's been proven to be a worth while mod......?

hasn't frank already done this with a oem mani fwn several times and i'm pretty sure it's been proven to be a worth while mod......?

here,s one of mine eh karl :grinning: showed a 6 hp gain on a modded 1.3 (with a slightly optimistic dyno) so i would guess 3 to 4 hp on a 1.0
attachment.php

Attachments

• PICT0240.JPG
    PICT0240.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 9,939
Well , here are the result of the home “adjusted “ manifold :

RESULT = + 3,5 HK ( @hubs )

So we are now up to:
55,8 HK / 6280 rpm
78,4 Nm / 3520 rpm

In a scale from 1-5 in how this can be felt it must be a 4 points on that.

Now it revs more freely and more easy reaches the top rpms on the Dynapack and on the street.

We are now in a situation where we have got 16 + more HP out of the engine by just easy stuff and that is a tod over 38 % increase in power !

And that without any gizmos or exspensive stuff whatsoever. Add a good decat ex-system and your looking at even more power.
I have done some other modifications to OEM manifolds later but htat just brought more complexitiy into the equation of being a DIY project , even though they added more power.

Oki , now the Micro Micra project is going for this :
tn_div%201262.jpg

I am going to rip some parts out of this donor car that has a 1,3 liter engine.

Will rip something in here and show you afterwards what the results were :
tn_div%201263.jpg

Keep looking and you will find out more…

Been following this blog from the start and got to say there's some very good info here, especially the bits where almost anyone can do to there own micra for some easy gains.
Cannot wait for this 1.3 bit though!:laugh: I'm hoping for a test with just cams first as it's something alot of people have done including me, andthen do crank n rods after(Y)

Euro Micra

Thank you for the kind words and thanks for looking :)

This project is all about that ; easy stuff that anyone can do and what the results will be after doing it.

EBBdude,

Do you do requests?
Id like to see the difference with almera ga14de airbox and cold air feed and a high flow air filter. Cheap easy modification for people if it works. My favourite mods are not free ones but good value ones from the local scrap yard:)

3.5bhp gain.....thats nice :)

Would love to see that done to a 1.3 engine.

- The sparkplug cables
- Bosch Super 4 spark plugs (will order them soon :))
- Maybe GA16 throttle body
- Maybe 1.0 pistons, same thing done to the manifold.....and so on :)

That would be interesting (Y) (Y) My mate from the Slovenian forum said your thread is one of the best ones he is reading at the moment hehe :) Owned a 200sx S13 @Stage 2, and 100NX GTi (SR20DE) with redtop cams (Y) Sold them both and drives a Clio RS 182 o_O :laugh:

@damienga15
I have done that from a dead stock K11 with 1.0 engine and that didnt bring about more then 1,5 Hp increase.
On a 1,3 the box alone with decent "ram-air " filter arrangement line it was worth about 2 Hp.
But these arrangements are almost not measurable on a Dynapack or a rolling road ( i have access to that as well ) when the car i standing still WITHOUT proper and HUGE fans that will simulate the air flow path and strenght of the passing air in a moving vehicle. Then it is measurable at all.

The thing that gives the most positive result is the Air-horn that you can see in my thread earlier up here and that is because the airodynamic characteristics it presents instead of how big the cutout or hole in the air-filter box is og if you have this or that air-filter.

Something like this on top of the throttle body works great :
tn_div%20223_3.jpg

These are actual loudspeaker parts that is easy available , comes in different dia and shapes / lenghts and is well suited to do a better job than any air-box /filter line etc.
Just use a K&N air foam mat on top , strip it on and you are ready to have some fun.

The fact that they will add a wild and furious sound to the engine is also cool... :)

@alexzaki
Thank you for positive feedback on the thread :)

In my " Maxi Micra " project, with a 1,3 liter engine , that im doing as well for the moment , the ex-manifold will also be tested there as a direct bolt on modification with a modified throttle body , a alu.spacer & air-horn.
Read more here if you like :
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/40439-quot-Maxi-Micra-quot-project....by-EBBdude.

No worries , its just fine to let others see more alternatives in how to do things and Franks manifold is excellent :)

I have started the work with making a genuine 4-1 manifold with a laser cut collector and will show that later in another project so people can have a look at that as well.

Will post some more later today...

Thats what it is all about being a Micra enthusiast Superls :)

Dare to try something new and exiting and when we get some results we are even happier.

cheers mate !(Y)

yep thats what its all about, i was going to make another of my hand crafted 4-2-1 manifolds, but i wanted to keep the front cat, (even tho it is knocked out) next up when the weather warms up is to make a front cat back system out of 2 inch pipe and free flowing silences. ready for boosting next year if all goes to plan, i want to do as much ground work before, to try and spread the costs a little bit.

yep thats what its all about, i was going to make another of my hand crafted 4-2-1 manifolds, but i wanted to keep the front cat, (even tho it is knocked out) next up when the weather warms up is to make a front cat back system out of 2 inch pipe and free flowing silences. ready for boosting next year if all goes to plan, i want to do as much ground work before, to try and spread the costs a little bit.
You should also make manifolds for other members..... :blush:

We are going to transplant these to camshafts from the 1.3 engine into the 1.0 engine of our Micro Mica project.

tn_div%201265.jpg

Some measurements shows that this is going to work quite easy without to much fuzz.

And no , there wont be bent valves or anything after we`re finished.

So then , lets go straight to the point :

Changing over the 1,3 camshafts to the 1.0 engine is not that complicated at all and I will show a rough way to how to do it.

( First check all your valve clearanceses before doing anything . Use a Haynes manual or likewise )

First you place your cylinder no 1 in TDC ( top dead center ) and then the camshafts will look like this in the cylinderhead:
tn_kammerk.jpg

Made some reference marks that you can see at the 2 bottom lower circles and note how the camshafts lobes are positioned in the upper 2 blue circles.
In that way you have some additional reference marks when you put them into the 1 liter engine.
You can make similar markings on your 1.0 liter before you rip them out.

Down at the lower crank pulley you will see the corresponding markings for the right position here at the blue circle
tn_veivmrk.jpg

After that you will detach the 2 pc of 12 mm ( head measurement)at the dizzy and just push it out about 10 mm.
tn_fordeler_2.jpg

( blue circle )

You can mark the 2 cam sprockets as i did and you have even more references of how to put stuff back together( red lines )
tn_div%201270.jpg

When that is done , loosen the 2 pc of 22 mm bolt-heads in front of the camshafts at their sprockets
You can hold the camshafts by the 6-points marked with blue circle.
tn_bolthold.jpg

The chain tensioner is next and you can detach that by unscrewing the 10 mm bolts.
You can access it by removing the left front engine mount and removing the front cover of the engine.
tn_strammer.jpg

Just compress it gently together when you take it out.

Now you can remove completely the pair of 22 mm bolts at the sprockets.
tn_div%201272.jpg

Then you detach all of the camshafts carriers
tn_div%201274.jpg

Keep track of them and have them in a orderly manner on your bench.

If we take a closer look you can se the mechanical lifter buckets that transfer the camshafts lift onto the valve stems.
You can also see the lifter bucket shims that takes care of the right valve clearance.
tn_div%201299.jpg

The 2 camshafts of the 1 liter engine is now out and I have just machine washed them nice and clean.
tn_div%201302.jpg

Lets have a look at the 2 pairs of camshafts and compare a little bit just for fun.
tn_div%201306.jpg

Inletcams in compare ; 1.0 to the left and 1,3 to the right.

Bring out a caliper and you will find out that there is difference in lift
tn_div%201307.jpg

1,3 camshaft

tn_div%201309.jpg

1.0 Camshaft
2 mm more lift on the 1,3 then…

Good stuff , more is better , right ?

Ok , then we just put the ripped 1,3 camshafts into the 1 liter then:
tn_div%201310.jpg

Assemble all in reverse with a check of all our previous marked details for control of putting everything back on right.
tn_div%201314.jpg

The tensioner just screws back into its housing so that it will go back into its lowest position so that you can put it in again.
tn_div%201300.jpg

tn_div%201313.jpg

Covers and everything back to where it were before
tn_div%201317.jpg

tn_div%201318.jpg

The valve clearences will need to be checked to 0,40 mm at both sides to make sure everything is ok.

Note ; if everything, regarding clearences is ok with your own 1 liter engine , then it is almost 99 % for certain that the clearences that you had will do for the new 1.3 liter camshafts.
I have done more then 20 changes and NEVER needed to change the shims on any of them so far with this procedure.

Then everything is in place
tn_div%201319.jpg

More runs on the Dynapack will now follow and todays quiz is :

DID THAT HELP OUT ON POWER AND IF IT DID HOW MUCH ?

Back with more soon….

Looking good, I'm wanting to get my 1.3 cams reprofiled

Are the cga 1.4 cams any different to the 1.3?

Cheers

2mm more lift, and more duration too ebb dude :grinning: (1.0,s have 196 deg duration 16/0/0/16, and 1.3,s and 1.4,s have 222 deg duration 42/0/0/42)

Is this 1.0 running derestricted?

I'd say between 5-10 aditional HP from the cams (Y) (Heck the custom mani will help here too i think?)

I'm guessing around 5bhp gain from the cams but hey.....lets see (Y)
Would also love to see 1.0 pistons in the CG13DE engine :grinning:

Good stuff guys !
Thank you for participating with your time...

Nice to see other enthusiasts get involved in guessing ( or calculating ) what the results will be.

Thought I keep you on your toes about the results for the camshafts a little bit longer and see if more people will give some feedback on the camshaft results ?

Meanwhile I show you something that I did , which is the ONLY bling thing I did to the car.

Have my own powder coating equipment so I wanted to bling the valve-cover just for fun.

First I cleaned it properly :
tn_Bilde%20204.jpg

Then i dust on the powder:
tn_Bilde%20205.jpg

“Red metallic stardust” is the colour I chose. Have more than 50 colours somewhere here….

Then it goes into the oven for hardening and when that’s done it looks like this :
tn_Bilde%20212.jpg

Will be assembled in the future sometimes….
tn_Bilde%20215.jpg

All done in best DIY style , just as we like it !
Is that BLING or what ?

Good stuff guys !
Thank you for participating with your time...

Nice to see other enthusiasts get involved in guessing ( or calculating ) what the results will be.

Thought I keep you on your toes about the results for the camshafts a little bit longer and see if more people will give some feedback on the camshaft results ?

Meanwhile I show you something that I did , which is the ONLY bling thing I did to the car.

Have my own powder coating equipment so I wanted to bling the valve-cover just for fun.

First I cleaned it properly :
tn_Bilde%20204.jpg

Then i dust on the powder:
tn_Bilde%20205.jpg

“Red metallic stardust” is the colour I chose. Have more than 50 colours somewhere here….

Then it goes into the oven for hardening and when that’s done it looks like this :
tn_Bilde%20212.jpg

Will be assembled in the future sometimes….
tn_Bilde%20215.jpg

All done in best DIY style , just as we like it !
Is that BLING or what ?

i may have virus and cannot see photos on your post their
maybe replying with quote might help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back