• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

"Maxi Micra" project....by EBBdude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the pictures were just out for a while as my mate "adjusted " his server for an hour.

Thanks for enjoyable feedback everybody :)

My laughter in 2nd attempt R-REG_SR was a result of my surprise of how fast this little Micra was able to thread itself around the course with such ease and just crushing some of the other competitors mega-buck cars easily.

Stani , i have a rather cool film project of the Micra doing something sleek in a parking house over here.
The video will be posted when done(Y)

Well i cant wait to see it! The car looks like it handles real good, im the guy who's spent £1000+ on suspension parts and i bet there isnt alot of difference around a track :)

The project will jump back and forth on several aereas of interest and now for some more engine stuff :

On the _Micro Micra project and other Micras i have played with i have used a spacer between the inlet plenum and the throttle body.
tn_div%20220_1.jpg

It serves as a flow enhancer and increased inlet plenum volume hat helps out a bit and on this project it will have several other functions as well.

On the MAxi Micra i will make on in aluminium just for the fun of it and here is how i do that:

First i find some ALu-junk pieces from a container of the local workshop and put it in a wice and mark up the lower part of the spacer
tn_DSCF6667.JPG

I just use a gasket as a guide and a marker pen onto the piece of metal
tn_DSCF6668.JPG

Cut of the piece that I need with my mill
tn_DSCF6670.JPG

Then ill go ahead to mill out the piece as needed:
tn_DSCF6675.JPG

Do it manually without any complication even if my mill is a cnc version.

Next step is to drill the hole-pattern of the mounting plate against the inlet plenum
tn_DSCF6676.JPG

Now the lower part of the spacer is finished with its corresponding holes drilled :
tn_DSCF6677.JPG

Now for the upper part of the spacer , where the throttle body is fixed onto .

That is done in the same manner.
tn_DSCF6799.JPG

This part will have a round hole for the throttle blade aera and then I measure the dia of how big it has to be.
I am going to use both the oem 1,3 dia body and the larger Almera ga16 later so i choose the later`s dia when i make this plate.
tn_DSCF6800_1.JPG

To centre the workpiece I use this simple indicator
Accurate within a couple of hundres of a millimiter , good enough for an amateur like me.

As i mentioned my mill has cnc capacities so i just pop in a circle-mill program that give me the diameter i want it to mill
tn_DSCF6804.JPG

This can of course also be done in a lathe or a mill with a roundtable if you like.

tn_DSCF6805.JPG

There we have it , our finished hole.

Then I mill a groove for the idle-regulator to work through under the throttle-body.
tn_DSCF6807.JPG

I have used also here the gasket as a quick reference.

Here we are , the end product
tn_DSCF6808.JPG

More of the spacer build to come soon…

Then i have worked some more on my spacer :

Found a small tube aluminum piece that i will use as the spacers center part.
Cutting it to desired length in my lathe :
tn_DSCF6810.JPG

The height is a bit different than the edition used in the Micro Micra project.
tn_DSCF6813.JPG

A little control to se that others details will fit
tn_DSCF6812.JPG

The spacer will fulfill several needs and it shall also be the place to put the N20 nozzle(s).

Since it will have several purposes I need to tur in the lathe another small thingy , like this
tn_DSCF6816.JPG

After that will Tig-weld it onto the centre section
tn_DSCF6817.JPG

Like this:
tn_DSCF6818_1.JPG

Drilling a hole into it
tn_DSCF6820.JPG

And setting some 1/8 “ NPT threads in it:
tn_DSCF6821.JPG

Drilling the hole where i want the nozzle for the N2o system
tn_DSCF6822.JPG

Setting it with some NPT threads :
tn_DSCF6823.JPG

And this is how it looks when the N20 Nozzle is seated in the spacer
tn_DSCF6824.JPG

Time to Tig-weld the 3 parts of the spacer together and before I can do that I have to preheat the parts for a good weld and I just use on of these cooking thingys:
tn_DSCF6825.JPG

The Tig is running and zapp it goes along
tn_DSCF6827.JPG

Almost done , on one side at least
tn_DSCF6829.JPG

Spacer finished welded and doesn’t look to bad ?
tn_DSCF6831.JPG

As i preheated the parts the spacer came out with no warpage at all.

Here you can see the N20 nozzles position and the future Alcohol injection`s nozzle placement.
tn_DSCF6834.JPG

The spacer goes in between the inlet and the throttle body as here
tn_DSCF6840.JPG

Voila , a diy spacer made out of waste material and proud to say ; recycled into something useful.

Next on the project is some testing on the Dynapack of 3 new modifications,,,,

This is one QUALITY PROJECT, it is great, can't wait to see the results.

You have done a Fantastic job so far and have some strapping good ideas, lol.(Y)

Great stuff! craftsmanship is excellent. one thing though, i would have made the NO2 direct injection as the stock micra inlet manifold isnt very good for spreading it equally between the cylinders. how i wish i had a tig welder :doh:

Looking forward to these results & videos..
Be funny to take the former keeper for a spin in their old car :laugh:

Thanks for looking. :)

Just trying the make the best out of the little i got.
This might look impressive but is actually quite straight forward machining and mechanics.

Have always enjoyed making my own parts and trying out new tecniques on all forms off aereas as a enthusiast with cars.

The N20 nozzle is placed in the spacer just because the oem inlet`s lack of possibillitie to distribute in a good way.
DI ( direct port ) N20 system will be way to complicated to sort out in a easy manner in this project.
The N20 setup on this project will be as straight forward as possible to show how it is done and the results of it. Will show more in the future.

Here is a short clip of the MAxi Micra`s first Autoslalom attempt where you can see the car from both outside & inside :

[video=youtube;H4OPekdkP7E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4OPekdkP7E[/video]

Enjoy :)

Now it is time for some more digging into the engine room.

I wanted to try something from the Micro Micra project together with the newly made Aluminum spacer.
Many has asked me how much the ex-manifold , spacer and modified thriottle would add to the 1,3 liter engine as compared to what it did in the Micro Micras 1.0 liter engine.
So I thought I show you that now :

I have my spacer:
tn_DSCF6834.JPG

My home modified oem exhaust manifold :
tn_div%201191.jpg

And my modified throttle body (same in 1.0 and 1,3 engines )
tn_div%201051.jpg

These three I am going to bolt onto the totally stock and untouched 1,3 liter in the Maxi project and run the Dynapack.

Will not change anything else than bolting them up to the engine and see what happens.

For those of you who seen the start of the Maxi Micra project , here are the stock power / Nm numbers :
51,1 Hp & 79,4 Nm

So I leave you again with a little quiz :

WHAT WILL THE NUMBERS ON POWER & NM BE NOW THEN ?

Great stuff guys !
Always fun to see participation from other Micra fans.

The results will be posted a little bit later today if i just have a moment of time :)

Running the diy spacer , ex-manifold and modified throttle body on the Dynapack is finished.

Here is the numbers before these “ add-ons “ :
51, 1 Hp / 5370 rpm ( hub )
79,4 Nm / 2850 rpm ( at flywheel)

Here is what it was after :
tn_DSCF6325.JPG

60,9 Hp / 5737 rpm ( hub )
98.1 Nm / 3559 rpm ( at flywheel)

A net result of :

+9,8 Hp
+18,7 Nm

That is realy big bang for the low bucks , or not ?

All this going on when the o2 censor still governing the action like this regarding AFR
tn_afr609.jpg

Remember , these are all just add ons or bolt on modifications easily done by anyone.
Nice to se that the OEM exhaust system , fuel pressure and the rest easily supports this power increase without any issues at all.

Here is a video of a 0-100 km/t run in this power level:
[video=youtube;i02E6E-qwAg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i02E6E-qwAg[/video]

Not to shabby or what ?

Hats off for EBBdude everybody!!!

Jeez, you're doing something absolutely fantastic!!!

Just....
(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)

Not bad mate (for just some bolt-ons). :grinning:

Here is my SR (bad tires with loads of wheel spin):

[video=youtube;vM0-lYOMcuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM0-lYOMcuc[/video]

Frank :
The midrange increase is due to the spacer and the conservative position on the oem camgears as is + the ex-manifold working with the std ex-system.
I have managed at this level to squezze 105 Nm ( at flywheel ) out of it by fiddling with FP
( fuel pressure ) and ignition.

Thaks Peposhi. Nice to get people involved :)

Baguete
You have got a real flyer there indeed. Impressive work you do with modest resources.
i feel that as long as i got the normal summer tires on and the chewing gum engine mounts there is little chance of getting mine any much lower at the moment.
I did manage to pull a 8.7 sec with R-tyres and some diy modification to 2 engine mounts but feel like using R-tyres and comparing to normal summer tyres is wrong so doesnt count.
Have a couple of questions for you by the way , can you pm me a mail adr ?

Thanks for looking in everybody and hopefully i will bring on some more soon :)

I was close hehe :grinning:

Good work, impressive results (Y)
Would love to see if there would be any gain using the GA16 TB....maybe test it next time?
- Oh by the way, hope you didn't forget about the flange measurements, just reminding you because im sure your busy :laugh:

Keep up the good work,

Greetings,
Alex

Out of interest, what method are you guys using to time your 0-60 sprints?

Baguete
You have got a real flyer there indeed. Impressive work you do with modest resources.
i feel that as long as i got the normal summer tires on and the chewing gum engine mounts there is little chance of getting mine any much lower at the moment.
I did manage to pull a 8.7 sec with R-tyres and some diy modification to 2 engine mounts but feel like using R-tyres and comparing to normal summer tyres is wrong so doesnt count.
Have a couple of questions for you by the way , can you pm me a mail adr ?

PM sent

Just been reading through this blog........

In terms of power figures comparing to the Nissan published figures, although there are some gains, there is still some discrapancy between what is measured and what Nissan publish. If the dyno is accurate in terms of flywheel figures, add 21hp on for transmission losses, (this is a safe estimate which has plenty of dyno backing).

Initial Figures
51.1 bhp @ 5370 rpm (hubs) (72.1bhp flywheel est)
79.4Nm @ 2850 rpm (flywheel)

Minor Tweeks
51.1 bhp @ 5370 rpm ( hubs) (72.1bhp flywheel est)
79.4 Nm @ 2850 rpm (flywheel)

After manifold and spacer plate
60.9bhp @ 5737 rpm (hub) (81.9bhp flywheel est)
98.1 Nm @ 3559 rpm (flywheel)

Nissan published figures for the CG13DE are;
Power - 75bhp @ 6000rpm
Torque - 106Nm @ 4000rpm

So, today's quiz question:

WHY ARE THE FIGURES SO DIFFERENT? Hint: It's a simple secret ;)

i had mine dyno,d a few years back and it was 91 hp @6510 and 85 lbft (115 nm) @ 4800
i would guess that the torque figure suffers with the milage of the engine personally (and less so the hp)

Low rider :

After having worked with and have had exsperience with multiple measuring devices ( read ; Dynos ) i know one thing for sure :

There is not one Dyno like another and there never will be !

Use a dyno , whatever your preference , as a reference for your working progress , and stay with that dyno ( measuring device ) and you will live longer and happier :)
Try reasoning , comparing or calculating differences and you will shorten you lifes exspectancy considerable :)

I never indulge myself into ANY discussions regarding this matter at all so i leave it at that and all my presented material will be as a result of using a DYNAPACK and thats my choice of poison.

http://www.raceinfo.no/temp/tn_DSCN0565.JPG

http://www.raceinfo.no/temp/tn_DSCN0564.JPG

My Micra 1.3 GX 99 model 83k miles ( EBBdude`s engine has covered a lot less miles than this one) .
Only small mods :
Platinum Bosch spark plugs modified larger gap
advanced ignition
airfilter and box removed

Measured on the exact same Dynapack dyno as EBBdude measures on .

I was hoping for a few more hp , but the Dynapack doen t give anyone bragging numbers .That s for shure !

There is a rumour that Scandinavian Micras have less hp than some other countries versions , but never got this verified anywhere .

Next up is probably a intake plenum spacer and I will port my throttle body .

@Turbokonge

Welcome to MSC !

Nice to see another Micra enthusiast from my region :)

Yours Micra is very close to other 1,3`s measued on Dynapacks regarding power numbers.
They all range from poor 47-48 to some 52-54 Hp on the hubs.

Nice thing is that one will quite easy climb higher with even smallest effort.

Then a little bit more has happened to the Maxi Micra project.

Some more details for the engine division :

On the Micro Micra project we got rid of the OEM , non adjustable , fuel pressure regulator and replaced it with this little hose adapter :
tn_DSCF6855.JPG

Have done the same to the Maxi Micra now.
Instead we are going to use this adjustable fuel regulator :
tn_DSCF6856.JPG

With the new adjustable fuel-regulator we will be able to control the desired fuel pressure at all time.
We can also montitor / adjust the pressure with a gauge like this when we play with it to get some more power out of it :
tn_div%201064.jpg

The 02 censor will now be disconnected at the fuel pressure adjusted a little bit here and there….
tn_div%201088.jpg

Time will tell what happens then.

With this little collection of stuff going in it will be quite handy to control the fuel pressure:
tn_noskit.JPG

More on the N20 system later on.

More 2 come soon…..

Cant wait to see the nitrous in action, this is something I want to do in the future.

There is no sponsors on the N20 system , its all me and myself in a wet dream :)

N20 is a wonderful way of having fun as long as you know the consequences if you play to loud---ha-ha.

Will show you all the details of a complete set up AND the results of using it.

Have got some luck on the fuel pressure testing and will post some more about that in not too long.

It took me some time with other N20 systems i had on other cars & Mc `s to sort out all the bugs that you can encounter using the laughtergas :)

Once i managed to split both a gearbox and a engine block in half on an old Sunbeam Avenger that got shock treatment from N20 many many years ago.
On my Kawasaki H2 with N20 i almost found out what the old Kawasaki saying ment;
"There is only two types of Kawasaki riders ; the quick and the dead.....lol

Hopefully neither the MAxi Micra or its driver will exsperience the last option using N20(Y)

Now i have played with the adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Went from the iron-fist controlled o2 censor area of 15,5 :1 to aboutly 13,5-14 :1 just by a twist of the fuel pressure regulator screw.

This is what I ended up with as a nice compromise of power / Nm without any drawbacks
tn_63.2.JPG

( upper BLUE graphs is final result compared to what i had before )

A small increase of :
4,4 Nm
2,3 Hp

Not to bad at all :)

Using this pressure gauge to keep track of the different fuel pressures :
tn_div%201086_2.jpg

Then I just play with the pressure up and down till I find via the Dynapack the sweet spot of today.
If you are patient a nice combination of Hp / Nm will turn up as a result
You will also quite easy find the not so sweet spots with overfueling low rpm or high rpm lean out pressures.

So then , i have now reached the 100 + Nm level and thats is nice to see.

RESULT SO FAR :

63,2 Hp @ hubs
102,5 Nm @ flywheel

Next item on the menu ; more , more , more…

Edit ; put in correct ; @ , in sentence.

With the modified manifold and the TB modification you came to 60,9 Hp / 5737 rpm ( hub ) 98.1 Nm / 3559 rpm ( at flywheel) with avg. AFR 16+

By playing with the fuel pressure regulator and increasing the psi the AFR ratio should drop down, which means less bhp and nm using same modifications as those you had when you achieved a gain of +9,8 Hp and +18,7 Nm.......am i right? Because me and a friend were talking about your thread yesterday and he explained to me the meaning of AFR, how it works, whats the best value for AFR, how to change it and so on. He said if you'd dyno the car with higher fuel pressure the AFR should drop, and you'd lose some of the gained +9,8 Hp and +18,7 Nm. Now the interesting part is that you gained power. Why? and whats the AFR at the moment?

He told me that the ideal AFR is like 14.7 and running a higher AFR can melt pistons (more air, less fuel) while running lower AFR means over fueling (less air, more fuel). He said the most simple way to gain bhp is by increasing AFR but its not safe if you dont know what your doing.......yeeeey i know something new hehe :laugh:

With the modified manifold and the TB modification you came to 60,9 Hp / 5737 rpm ( hub ) 98.1 Nm / 3559 rpm ( at flywheel) with avg. AFR 16+

By playing with the fuel pressure regulator and increasing the psi the AFR ratio should drop down, which means less bhp and nm using same modifications as those you had when you achieved a gain of +9,8 Hp and +18,7 Nm.......am i right? Because me and a friend were talking about your thread yesterday and he explained to me the meaning of AFR, how it works, whats the best value for AFR, how to change it and so on. He said if you'd dyno the car with higher fuel pressure the AFR should drop, and you'd lose some of the gained +9,8 Hp and +18,7 Nm. Now the interesting part is that you gained power. Why? and whats the AFR at the moment?

He told me that the ideal AFR is like 14.7 and running a higher AFR can melt pistons (more air, less fuel) while running lower AFR means over fueling (less air, more fuel). He said the most simple way to gain bhp is by increasing AFR but its not safe if you dont know what your doing.......yeeeey i know something new hehe :laugh:
14.7 is best in that it means that all the fuel is burnt with all the air but doesn't necessarily mean that its the best for power. i think slightly richer (maybe 13.5) is better for power but your emitions will suffer and fuel economy will also suffer slightly. Stock cars are mapped for fuel economy and emitions so there are gains to be had for just a remap (with power in mind).

By playing with the fuel pressure regulator and increasing the psi the AFR ratio should drop down, which means less bhp and nm using same modifications as those you had when you achieved a gain of +9,8 Hp and +18,7 Nm.......am i right?
well, maybe the AFR got better for power cos the stock ECU runs lean and get very lean with some breathing mods as it was pointed out to me by martboy21.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back