what did you do to your micra today ?

rod gets pushed out (extended) from actuator which opens the waste gate.
boost pressure inside the actuator pushes a diaphragm which pushes the rod out (once pressure rises enough to overcome the spring tension inside the actuator).
the action of the rod opening the waste gate allows more exhaust to bypass the turbo which means less boost is created.

not written for anyone in particular:)

So looking at your spring setup frank, no wonder your making big boost :D ;)

well, i assume thats how they all work, thats how mine works:) maybe some actuators pull the rod back in by applying to boost pressure to the other side of the diaphragm.

on this one the rod pushes the w/g shut tho ed, i can rev it up and feel the rubbers pressurise but the rod stays out.
the rod retracts then the w/g opens fwn
maybe its because its a diesel tubby ? (no intake vacuum on a diesel eh)

eh thats a wierd WG port config, got a pic of inside the WG?.

so does the WG shut clockwise or anticlock?

normally the actuator pulls on the WG arm to keep it shut with abit of preload and pushes it open as it reaches max actuator boost.

if ur WG shuts by pushing instead, you'll need to reverse the mechanism by welding a new arm or cut n reposition the WG arm on the opposite side of the pivot.

its a poppet valve paul, i,ve got a feeling this w/g is vacuum controlled ? maybe preturbo vacuum ?

come along now frank youse yer loaf,,,,:grinning:
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fuel pump and fuel tank gauge sender unit swap'd out,,,,dam wrong gauge sender warning light unit dead
5 mm tread on tyre small screw in tyre ,slow puncture . remove wheel remove screw from tire inject instant gasket,after making hole slightly bigger. have hole facing down when doing this, let gravity have the instant gasket cover the hole from inside.
remove syringe whilst injecting, couple hours drying. works good, my other tyre has been rolling since mid summer.

come along now frank youse yer loaf,,,,:grinning:

sorted Z :)
removed the spring (showed resting ontop there) and fitted a faaaar softer one............now the w/g opens @ 10psi ish and holds there as long as its only 1/2 throttle.
but........if i go WOT tho it shoots past 20 psi and blows a pipe off still :eek:

Attachments

• SDC13223.JPG
    SDC13223.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 589
frank i'm alittle confused bout the operation of the actuator & wastegate u have there.

did the actuator come with the turbo? was it from a TDI or petrol?

i'm looking at vids of TDI actuators and they normally control VNT and work completely opposite to a normal petrol WG actuator.

the VNT actuator is naturally sprung to PUSH the rod out. when u apply inlet vacuum to the actuator it sucks on the piston moving the rod BACK.

now a turbo wastegate actuator is naturally sprung to PULL the rod back (to shut the WG). when u apply +ve boost pressure to the actuator it pushes the piston OUT to open the WG, till they equalize at the determined pressure.

a WG is normally pulled by the actuator to seal shut and pushed to open.

it sounds like ur using a vacuum operated VNT actuator on a petrol turbo wastegate.

which side of the diaphram does the line feed into? towards the rod or the actuator face? is it possible to locate the spring on the other side of the diaphram so that the rod is pulling on the WG arm?
if not i'd advise fitting a correct +ve boost triggered pushing actuator.

Got insureance renued, orders my sportex exhaust, got tyres on my rims for this awful wether and decided not to get paint work done till new year :D
!

frank i'm alittle confused bout the operation of the actuator & wastegate u have there.

did the actuator come with the turbo? was it from a TDI or petrol?

i'm looking at vids of TDI actuators and they normally control VNT and work completely opposite to a normal petrol WG actuator.

the VNT actuator is naturally sprung to PUSH the rod out. when u apply inlet vacuum to the actuator it sucks on the piston moving the rod BACK.

now a turbo wastegate actuator is naturally sprung to PULL the rod back (to shut the WG). when u apply +ve boost pressure to the actuator it pushes the piston OUT to open the WG, till they equalize at the determined pressure.

a WG is normally pulled by the actuator to seal shut and pushed to open.

it sounds like ur using a vacuum operated VNT actuator on a petrol turbo wastegate.

which side of the diaphram does the line feed into? towards the rod or the actuator face? is it possible to locate the spring on the other side of the diaphram so that the rod is pulling on the WG arm?
if not i'd advise fitting a correct +ve boost triggered pushing actuator.

yes the tubby was from an astra 1.7 tdi paul (02 i believe) and appears to be vacuum actuated (via the diaphram pipe on the opposite end to the rod, its quite controllable now @ 1/2 throttle, nice a/f/r,s @ idle and in 1st 2nd and 3rd, leaning out/closed looping in 4th and 5th tho atm fwn

yes the tubby was from an astra 1.7 tdi paul (02 i believe) and appears to be vacuum actuated (via the diaphram pipe on the opposite end to the rod, its quite controllable now @ 1/2 throttle, nice a/f/r,s @ idle and in 1st 2nd and 3rd, leaning out/closed looping in 4th and 5th tho atm fwn

ah that explains it then. ok least the feed pipe is on the correct side.
k what u could do before considering a proper actuator:

with no spring, adjust the rod length so that the WG is fully closed when the actuator rod has moved all the way back (so that it seals when closed but have full actuator & WG travel).

if you can't fit the spring on the rod side of the casing, fit that tension spring u had on before to pull the WG shut.
preferably with the same spring rate as the actuators spring.
preferably mounted between the actuator and the threaded rod section so u can dial the end bit to finetune the preload, otherwise the previous mount between the actuator body and the WG arm will do. or alternatively build a manual boost controller

ohh and to fix the 4th-5th gear lean out, try disconnecting the speed sensor wire from the dash to the ecu, yellow/blue wire

Frank just go and get a proper wastegate actuator :)

shudda listened to you kev lol :grinning:
WDID ?
busted a ringland or two :eek:
so we,re back to N/A for the time being lol, but its been a facinating/steep learning curve i know what the limits are now :)
so the fueling measures were pretty much sorted, the 10.5:1 compression ratio is fine, the boost needs to be kept below 25 ish psi lol :wasntme:, and that little hybrid clutch and 1.0 g/box have gobsmacked me :cool:

Attachments

• SDC13233.JPG
    SDC13233.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 550
shudda listened to you kev lol :grinning:
WDID ?
busted a ringland or two :eek:
so we,re back to N/A for the time being lol, but its been a facinating/steep learning curve i know what the limits are now :)
so the fueling measures were pretty much sorted, the 10.5:1 compression ratio is fine, the boost needs to be kept below 25 ish psi lol :wasntme:, and that little hybrid clutch and 1.0 g/box have gobsmacked me :cool:

were you running this on a 1.3 with 1l box or on a 1l? i cant remember...

twas only a matter of time eh LR :grinning:
i just cant believe how det resistant these CG,s are tho, the only time i heard it det was then the ringlands let go on the way to work yesterday (crankcase backpressure and smoke)
you cant say it was,nt tested tho lol, got through 50 quids petrol in a week :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5OrAb88b9c&feature=player_detailpage&list=UUShAHt9QG4e1Znr-pxWt7UQ

and yes joe :)
and i found out why cyl #1 had no compression from day 1 too fwn

Attachments

• SDC13239.JPG
    SDC13239.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 564
woopsey. so 25psi is the maximum for a stock block eh?

time for a proper actuator:p

aye paul :grinning: the 2 secondhand factory headgaskets survived tho eh :cool:
and the rings and bores are fine still :eek:
fire another set of 1.0 pistons back in eh :)

oh noes...keep it under 25psi then eh. hehehe. You'll have it back up and running in no time ;)

heh, it still drove ok kris, but at about 4k the crankcase breather had a jet of oilspray shooting out, and at 6k it was like a spraygun at full chat lol

heh, it still drove ok kris, but at about 4k the crankcase breather had a jet of oilspray shooting out, and at 6k it was like a spraygun at full chat lol

6k with a shagged engine, mental

and i give it till the weekend before your back up and boosting lol

You should get an external wastegate off of ebay for 50pounds

nah, this is a £100 ghetto build dont forget kev :)
piston swap sorted now, and here,s me grinding that duff valveseat :grinning:
look at the size of the valvesprings from that lpg head ! :eek:

Attachments

• SDC13244.JPG
    SDC13244.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 575
took it for VIC today, passed, never a doubt realy, damn easy money for vosa. wobble bolts also turned up :D insurance is only £370, its a good day :D

Too much boost hey Frank... :laugh:

You will get it boosting soon again. (Y)

WDID? Micra Dorifto...

[video=youtube;uCnWSy_zbCs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCnWSy_zbCs[/video]

Too much boost hey Frank... :laugh:

You will get it boosting soon again. (Y)

WDID? Micra Dorifto...

lookin good my mate (Y) and yes an excess of boost lol :wasntme:
WDID ? ran the 292cc topfeed SR20 injectors @ 2 bar of fuel pressure, and the car behaved impeccably as usual (closed looping idle and cruise, and off the scale rich @ wot) so just need to up the pressure to about stock when boostin.
and pretty much guaranteed emissions pass, and stock fuel consumption too (Y)
vid shows 20 psi with the vacuum pipe connected, and 30psi when disconnected http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=23w9zrc&s=5

If enough people want one, I stll have the design. I'll see what discount volumes they do :).

with what goes on here with the k11 and the FRANKSHNITZ line production,,,,i''m all choking ,,sniffle ,,,,sniffle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
dam gotta slow down on the big fat ones ,big pull,,,,, it choked me out right their cough cough :grinning:

make seperate thread for the t shirt!

got some more for my AP0, tailgate, pair of front doors, CG13, central locking, 4x 165/55/13s, standard A pillar trim with tweeter grills in them, standard parcel shelf with speakers in, leather steering wheel from a primera just incase mk K12 one dont fit.
Looking forward to me 2 weeks off now so i can fit everything ive got stored up ready for my insurance to swap from my polo to the micra in january. woop woop

So frank whats your plan with the turbo engine? Mines is a twin gasket on a stock engine with maybe 14psi through my TD04. If it fails im going all out forged engine hehe!!(Y)

So frank whats your plan with the turbo engine? Mines is a twin gasket on a stock engine with maybe 14psi through my TD04. If it fails im going all out forged engine hehe!!(Y)

that 10.5:1 engine is rebuilt stani, and will go back in once i iron out the little fueling anomalies (Y)
tinkering with an austin mini vacuum advance mech atm, so that i run the SR injectors @2 bar fuel pressure until any boost kicks in, where the fuel pressure will crank up to 3bar plus :cool: (ie, a proper rising rate f/p/r)

Haha cheers, its been a long time since ive drove a turbo micra :( when my daughters born in february ive nearly a month off so thats when im doing it unless the weather is ridiculous ill need to delay it lol low 14's will be good its all i want or a cheeky 13.999 :grinning:

Back