• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Rat

Got a scrap 1.0 Vibe in this week,damaged front,rotten sills & 112K on the clock so going to rob the ECU & key to get the Rat going again.Keep having to use the Scooby to run around in & I'm fed up with putting petrol in so looking forward to getting back in the rat...
Oh & exhaust manifold is promised this week & I stumbled across the Janspeed back box I got from Martyboy last year...
Update..Robbed ECU,shroud & key,fitted it all this morning & it still won't go!!Still has NATs drama.Been a long time since I've thought about this so must have a search on here to remind me what I need to do.Rat back in the garage,I was looking forward to a blast across the dual carriagway :(

ECU donor.
victim.jpg

Out of hibernation & Darcy.
ratdarcy.jpg
[/IMG]

Another victim
scrap1.jpg

Yard Skylkine
skylinegrey.jpg

Loved driving this to the MOT station,some very strange looks from men in vans :)
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

Learnt that I needed to change the immobiliser control unit so stripped that from the donor & fitted it to Rat.Still don't go,management light still flashing away.Happy days it even rained for me while I was fitting it.
Dash was pretty much hanging out on Rat anyway so I dropped the steering column down (easy,4 bolts) to remove it altogether & it won't be going back in anyway but I might adapt the heather air channels if it gets steamed up.(presuming the car ever goes again)

Here's the NATS donor minus the dash & heater box/fan unit you need to remove to get to the Immobiliser control unit on the nearside..
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-6.jpg

This is where it's bolted,behind passenger side heater blower box.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-8.jpg

The unit
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-9.jpg

This is where the heater control card is hidden.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-12.jpg

Finished changing the NATS system today.Started first time when I changed the ignition barrel.
Cleared all the parts stored in the back out,tie wrapped the heater motor in place (No dash & liking it that way)Fitted new Jap plate on the rear & went for a blast.Must fit a rev counter,the limiter has been removed so need to be careful (not that I'm that bothered about this engine)Had the management light flickering after thrashing the nuts off it.
Tomorrow I'm going to raise the rear of the Primera drivers seat up 40 or 50mm & have a tidy up inside & I want to get the 16" rims prepared & painted soon so when it's back on the road I can get it across the parking post in our drive,no clearance with the 13"s.

This arrived with a noisy gearbox & jumps out of 3rd.The old dear owner has probably been driving it around at 5000RPM in third..Got a box & new clutch ready...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-4.jpg

This ugly car belongs to the yard nutter.It's a stripped out 1.3 Kia Pride with the handling of a shopping trolley,very alarming indeed on bends.He wants to put it up against the Rat,I'll report results in due course...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-5.jpg

''This ugly car belongs to the yard nutter.It's a stripped out 1.3 Kia Pride with the handling of a shopping trolley,very alarming indeed on bends.He wants to put it up against the Rat,I'll report results in due course...''

lol

Haha did Darcey tell you he weighed the passenger seat in?He thought a Micra or Sunny seat would bolt right in...Good bit of entertainment :)

He does need his own blog really but I might just put his progress on mine..He was pulling more bits off it tonight while I was adjusting the Primera seat,headlining & door cards & lots of plastic bits are now gone from the Pride.The way he's talking no dash & clingfilm windows are imminent bless him :)
Took him for a blast across the flyover & some roundabout action below,he's feeling it...He said the Pride was faster & I must take that for a spin (by myself due to lack of passenger seat lol)I think it may actually be faster in a straight line but I bottled out of any speed as it felt like it was going to fall over.Anyway he's been badgering Darcey to chop his springs so the pressures on ;)
I can feel the exhaust holding Rat back,looking forward to getting the manifold on when it comes,I might chop the backbox open & pull the contents out tomorrow & see if that helps until then...I've got Marts old Janspeed box here but the exhaust fitter he used chopped a lump off the pipe,nice one.

Micra Vs. Pride
micra.jpg

Adjusted seat,back was too low so robbed a gearbox mount bolt from Micra victim & used a double socket as a packer on door side,made a bracket on other side where it bolts to the tunnel.Perfect driving position now,holds you in nice & good headrest.Might get a harness but I'm lazy when it comes to belts..
micraseat2.jpg

New dash layout :)
micra4.jpg

superlight tie-wraps ;)
micra5.jpg

New plate.
micra10.jpg

Need to black stonechip under the arches..
micra12.jpg

micra14.jpg

Sunday...

Got a few minor jobs done today.
Nicked door locks from NATS donor so car is now on 1 key.Didn't bother with the tailgate lock as it's not connected & I'm going to remove lock & fill hole when I get stuck into the tailgate.
Fitted the Sparco aluminium pedal covers,the platic accelerator bit unclips real easy,needed to remove it as I had to slice the plastic fins from the back so bolts would fit securely.Brake & clutch pedals are small,got 2 fixings in brake pedal,1 on the clutch but it aint going anywhere.
Getting too much reflection on the screen at night from the naked instrument pod so fitted the cover on with strategic use of tiewraps.Put some blue bulbs in I robbed from a scrapper,must be cheap ones as it's really dim now & not blue at all.Got a March pod to fit with a rev counter so I'll deal with it then.
Fitted a cheapo air filter robbed from another scrapper that looks as though it may supply more air than the dirty K&N I've been using.Bit shorter too so I'm going to see if I can secure the relay box in a better position.
Had a hoover/tidy out then went for a blast.I love driving this car!Met the Kia Pride bloke at our local private road for some trials.He's always got a reason why he couldn't beat me,power abducted by aliens,car slowed down by war memorial in respect for the fallen etc.Invited me to his private road & I piseed all over him again.Think we need witness's,may be a while while he finds a passenger seat ;)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-32.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-30.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-18.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-19.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-22.jpg

very very sad car
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-27.jpg

Bizzare accident(not me)
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-28.jpg

Oh & lost a bit of weight too,some unnesessary bits of steel from the doors & various nuts & bolts from behind missing dash :)
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-21.jpg

coming along nicely mate, still looking for a decent one, let me know if you get a 1.3 pre facelift in mate, i may have it off you if its a good one, cheers buddy

Weight watchers :)

Had another go at losing weight today.The Vibe I stripped the NATS from is the same colour as Rat so I removed the passenger door & set to work...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-34.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-35.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-49.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-51.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-50.jpg

Also put the lambda sensor on a switch (Cheers Frank)When the car is idling it did not make any differece to its running.Took the car for a blast with the sensor switched off,bad move!Drove very badly then the anger management light came on & car stopped & would not start.Isolated the battery for a few mins then car started again.Ran lumpy for a while then cleared itself & was back to normal.Back to the drawing board...
Kia Pride bloke was there pulling bits from his car.We where discussing the possibilities of clingfilm/shrink wrap windows lol
He's re-written history about getting beat last night,apparently his car is still quicker.Even if it was it's still a very sad vehicle.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-37.jpg

scrappers ready for tomorrow ;) We kill loads of Renaults,nearly as sad as Kia's.This Megane has a strut brace on it which I'm going to chop off for the Rat.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-33.jpg

if you wanted to lose more weight cut the rest out of the door panel out and use string to operate the handle like i have ;)
Alright Stani,you're right,the grinder needs to come out again.Got a few other bits inside to go,carpet,headlining,support bars in roof & bonnet,attack tailgate.Wanted to do more today but was getting crusty looks from residents affter dealing with the door in the workshop with the door down..Interested in any weight saving teqniques you've used..Just been rummaging through Franks blog again,impressed with the tailgate glass.Going to rob the alternator bracket from the breaker as well & get stuck into that...Bring it on :)

ive not went too far yet as im still not sure if im wanting to put it back on the road but ive basically took everything out including sunroof, perspex windows all round. if it comes to it id mould my own bonnet/boot from fibreglass and cut out the doors/strengthening bars like youve done :) and possibly bin the anti roll bars as my cars solid enough the way it sits.

Sounds like you guys have the weight loss pretty covered. There might be some more ideas for ya here.

I particuarly like the re-wiring using only the smallest gauge wire for the current flow.

I also seem to remember that March's have plastic headlight lenses, must be a weight saving of the glass uk spec. Or get rid completely, and make some flush panels retro JDM circuit racer style, maybe an intake in one side. Daylight MOT FTW!
Sack off the door mirrors for some diddy litle motor bike ones too.

Tuesday...

Good link Mark,rear floor really needs to be chopped out & replaced with ally plate.I'm going to get in the back with the grinder one day this week.Must attack passenger door again,loads more could come off..
Stani,if the car has no roll then I guess you don't need bars?
Pulled a few more bits of tonight,40 fixings,overflow bottle,cable brackets from engine,plate beside radiator..

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-59.jpg

Robbed strut brace from the French dustbin.Lighter than a Sparco with the added benefit of being free :)
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-52.jpg

Will fit nice on Rat with a bit of grinding.When the next stricken Megane comes in (won't be long)I'll rob one for the rear.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-55.jpg

Why does a Megane need a strut brace as standard anyway??We have the pleasure of destroying loads of Reanaults,been making cars for a century & still have not sussed making a water pump or auto box that lasts longer than 40K
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-53.jpg

Removed the alternator bracket from a victim.This is actually heavier than the engine ;) and needs some serious attention.Thanks to Frank for pointing this out.Wondered about the aluminium replacement you made...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-56.jpg

Part ex vehicle,has tax & petrol so a good ride while I get the Rat sorted out.Seriously need to stop commuting in the Legacy,done £60 in fuel in a week.Needs stripping out lol maybe next year when it's got a few more dents...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-54.jpg

Prepped engine bay & bonnet underside ready for paint.Looks even nastier now it's clean,must deal with that soon.Removed bonnet ready for some grinder attention tomorrow hopefully.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-58.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-61.jpg

also if i really am serious about weight loss ill be losing door locks/handles/catches, wing mirrors, spoiler, boot handle, reg plates, make the rear bumper support smalller, door rubbers and side exit exhaust

btw you could remove mudflaps and 3rd brake light to lose a bit more

and dont forget those hubs and the cast ring around the drums, and the towing eyes/brackets guys :grinning:
attachment.php

Attachments

• SDC10421.JPG
    SDC10421.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 2,071
Hey there Sleeper_ss didnt realise you were so close by to me. Correct me if I'm wrong but are those garages the one behind the shops on stafford road right? Only I was working there last week and saw the scrap micra etc. Maybe meet up sometime if you want?

Night shift...

Liking the hubs & drums idea Frank,I'm stripping a victims engine & trans tomorrow so that others may live,I'll make the time to rob the drums while I'm there.And what did happen to the aluminium alternator bracket you made?Very saleable product I expect...
GA16Seeper..yeah come down be good to see you,we get time to play with our toys after 6.30..I'll PM you..
Ferrit & Martboy have been down today,Marts going to be dealing with the red 95 that's been useful & now needs a new home so happy ending & looking forward to the blog..
Had a play tonight.Angry resident goes to pick his Mrs up around 7pm so attacked the bonnet with the grinder.Impressed with the loss,going to chop more away and remove the hinges from shell soon as I get some ally pins.Wonder if 1 either side would suffice...Added benefit of being able to remove the catch & support bar beside rad...
If you're planning this bit of weight watching you'll find that the support bars are glued on the skin with seam sealer.Get a hot air gun & the big snap off blade knife & slice through after you've warmed the sealer.Not too hot or you'll scorch the paint on the other side.Not a problem in my case as I managed to slice into the skin with the grinder...oops Black bonnet is imminent :)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-68.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-65.jpg

Scrap :)
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-66.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-76.jpg

Seats out & removed the carpet.Sound deading pads are heavy & must be destoyed.Hot air gun, scraper & patience.Set my thumb on fire which was nice.Lots of grooves specially the front floorpans.Residue comes off real easy with thinners but expect petrol would do the same thing.Drivers side is finished :)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-69.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-70.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-73.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-75.jpg

Stripped a bit more over-engineering out.Bits came from around where the radio probably once lived.Not like you'd be able to hear it over the road/engine noise & areas to fit speakers are getting scarce :) Heavy bit of plate & half dozen 14MM nuts??Thought planet earth was meant to be saving fuel lol
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-72.jpg

That's gotta go from the tunnel,more grinder action very soon
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-71.jpg

Pleased with the progress & lost a load of weight in the last few days,gimme another week & I'll get down the weighbidge.Looking forward to removing more..
Realized the error of my ways regarding the seat/seats.The Primera seat is heavy.Looks & feels nice,but too heavy for a 1.0 litre.Heavier than a Micra seat which are comfortable & light-ish so put a chintzy Vibe seat from a donor back in...
Kia man is still convinced he's lighter/faster than me & no progress to report on the Pride tonight but last night he managed to pull 1 roof bar off & removed a plate from floor that hides petrol pipes,(weighed in lol)now he's moaning about draft coming up & feeling the cold.Like I said,very sad car.Will point out to him tomorrow that not only is his engine nasty,it's hard to get into 3rd and it handles like a wendy house and... block is made from iron :)
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-77.jpg

Still waiting for the exhaust manifold to arrive

looking good clive, fair play to you mate, getting stuck in at all hours, commitment at its finest here folks

Cheers for the heads up on the a bonnet skin,i thought it was spot welded,looking forward to doing that,looks fun!keep it coming!

This is one MAD blog. You should have done a 0-60 time and compare after you've finished. You're definately committed I give you that.

Are you painting the floor red or just putting mats onto of the whiteness?

Manny u should give it ago mate, its addictive!. After having a very @nal chat yesterday with Sleeper_ss and reading the update this morning i 2 have started to pull off unessary bits and pieces including the sound proffing in the rear!
I rekon this car will weigh in at 580kg when done, Frank's k11 weighs 760kg but he hasn't attacked his as much.....
Anyone else wanna guess the weight of the RaT when stripped finally and weighed?????? Winner(s) gets a pair of Sleeper_ss pants!!!!

lol, taking weight shedding to a new level eh guys :grinning:
i wager a minimum weight of 666kgs :p (580 would require some drastic measures)

Manny u should give it ago mate, its addictive!. After having a very @nal chat yesterday with Sleeper_ss and reading the update this morning i 2 have started to pull off unessary bits and pieces including the sound proffing in the rear!
I rekon this car will weigh in at 580kg when done, Frank's k11 weighs 760kg but he hasn't attacked his as much.....
Anyone else wanna guess the weight of the RaT when stripped finally and weighed?????? Winner(s) gets a pair of Sleeper_ss pants!!!!

i wish i could ferrit but i cant my family use the car if you know what i mean. they gonna sit on the roof if i remove the back seats? lol

lol, taking weight shedding to a new level eh guys :grinning:
i wager a minimum weight of 666kgs :p (580 would require some drastic measures)

hmm knowing sleeper ss "drastic measures" are not far off!! honestly if its not needed he will take it off,

THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND, I BRING TO YOU............

....GRINDERMAN...!!!

infact you even have a website

http://www.grinderman.com

i estimated 610kg lol, i think hes going perspex all round and cutting the boot floor bulk out!:suspect:

winner gets as ferrit suggested a signed pair of his finest oil covered pants :p

oh and just for ferrit

found him in 50 years

88626990.jpg

" just got to take this cat off!! ":p:p

This is one MAD blog. You should have done a 0-60 time and compare after you've finished. You're definately committed I give you that.

Are you painting the floor red or just putting mats onto of the whiteness?
I'm going to do it all black,I've got some basecoat I got my 87 Civic GTi with flecks of orange green gold etc. so think I'll use that.Got more stripping & cutting to do before the grinding starts in earnest :)

@ Martboy...
I'm sure you'll find it aVery addictive pastime.Just the interior has kept me going for days & I'm still finding fixings to remove.Now checking around at what can be ground in there.Pedals I noted are a heavy looking affair..Wanted to do the boot floor today but couldn't get duct plate big enough.
I'll sort out me best undies closer to weigh in day :)

overtime

B]
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-4.jpg

And did a late one Weds night,started on the alternator bracket..
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-11.jpg

Removed the headlining & support bars.Need hot air gun again for this
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-9.jpg

Pulled a load more stuff out.While I'm rooting about under the dash for more debris I'm noticing things that need a trim with the grinder.Pedals need some attention..
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-10.jpg

Kia bloke was pulling bits from the Pride & removed a window & replaced with ducters plate.Stuck in with tape,a true craftsman.:)
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-5.jpg

Here's the horrible engine made from Iron.Mid mounted Cosworth conversion is still dreamed about with or without his medication.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-6.jpg

The Evil Genius at work
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-1.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-3.jpg

This was not planned.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-2.jpg

Oh 1 more thing I'd not driven the car since removing a lot of stuff,had a cheeky go today & it feels luvverly & responsive(and loud lol).Really wants to spin away..
Remember,stripped is the new luxury.Think of it as Feng Shui for cars.ie.move all that stuff over there through the door will bring you good luck like being able to go really fast in an empty biscuit tin with no passenger seat

thats the place i got my perspex windows from, a little over £400 mines cost as i got sliders on both fronts, black edge on the back 3 and a tube of sticky stuff :)

Plastic Fantastic

Had a crafty half hour with the grinder & snips on the tailgate today.You don't get a lot from it TBH.Maybe one to do when you've nothing else to remove or lighten but then it's all accumlative I guess...Got a bit carried away and can see light around the rear lights.Got some expanding foam somewhere..I've stuck the catch section of tailgate left attached to rear of the skin with seam sealer & shut the tailgate for the night so it sets in the right position to lock.Just thought,catch section is very flimsy,a bit of foam behind it would sort that problem too.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-18.jpg

Catch section.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-23.jpg

see the light
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-22.jpg

Got perspex from B & Q.Kicked the back windows out & used glass as a template.Need to draw round with a marker pen & cut on the outside of the line for a tight enough fit.I used the 3MM stuff which is cheap,£54 does whole car but hard to work with & too flimsy.I shattered the corner of my first attempt being hasty with a hacksaw.Had wrong blades for the jigsaw so used a few new medium hacksaw blades.Going to use thicker guage for the fronts but the flexiness of this cheap stuff may be useful for the tailgate glass..Going to get some tint film tomorrow & stick them in the hole with seam sealer.Added benefit of losing the heavy rubbers :)
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-17.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-15.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-20.jpg

So lost quite a bit more weight tonight,looking forward to getting the fronts in.Windows have made up for the disapointing reward from the tailgate.Have to have a go at it with the drill next I'm not leaving it at that ;)

Bag of evicted sound deadener.No scales but this is heavy,heavy like bag and a half of sugar heavy
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-24.jpg

Headlining has come in useful as a protective vinyl roof used to display the days/nights trophys plundered from the car
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-26.jpg

Manifold is promised early next week so hopefully the car will be able to breath properly soon..

Kia Bloke update....

The stupid TW@T decided to rip out his dash board sunday to gain an extra 40bhp, well decide for yourself. Notice the CD player and speakers just magnetically stuck infront of steering wheel and in the passengers foot well. Sorry for the picture I had to take them through the windows as he locked it and put the alarm on- just incase someone got really jelous and decided to steel it!
utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzYtMjAxMDA0MTItMTQzN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzctMjAxMDA0MTItMTQzN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzgtMjAxMDA0MTItMTQzN.jpg

Back