• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Getawaycar's Black Super R (and others!)

Getawaycar's Black Super S (and others!)

Spec so far...
Engine: Nissan CG13, 75bhp when new!
Custom 4" induction kit with HKS filter
Transmission: Nissan 5 speed manual gearbox, Standard clutch, Standard squeeky clutch pedal.
Body: 3 door K11 Super S
Standard black bumpers, front modified to fit air filter.
Wheels:6"x15" SSR (32mm offset) white 16 spoke alloy wheels with Yokohama 15/45R15 tyres.
Suspension: Standard rusty rear beam axle and front wishbones with standard tired rubber bushes.
Whiteline adjustable panhard rod (Cheers Glen!)
10mm spacers all round
+20mm wheel studs all round
Standard springs with standard shock absorbers.
Interior: Standard Super S bucket seats finished in geography teacher grey and rainy day blue.
I.C.E.: All over the windows roof and front bumper! LOL! Standard Super S set up with Ripspeed head unit that doesn't work

Plenty do do then!:(

picture.php

I felt guilty being on this website and only owning Micras I was selling so I bought myself one to do up!
It’s an M reg K11 Super S. It needs a bit of work as you can see from the pics below so this blog will be an ideal place to show what I’ve done!
The plan is to strip the car out and use it at Knock hill ‘Hot hatch’ days and Crail ‘Thrash and dash’ as well as the odd club night if I get the chance to go to one! If I do this I can justify buying it as a promotional vehicle to the Mrs. LOL! To meet entry regulations (and because I don’t have a trailer) the car will be MOT’d and taxed.

I had a look through quite a few blogs before starting this one. Frank, you’re my hero!
Anyone who wants to see elaborate body kits, massive I.C.E installs is probably going to be disappointed. Its unlikely my Micra will be given a nickname as I’m an old git and I just don’t roll that way! I’ve also been inspired by these pics that were posted on http://retrorides.proboards.com/
picture.php

I have plenty work to do to get the car MOTable and then make it go faster so providing I remember to take my camera I will be able to show what I’ve done. I don’t have a big budget so there could be a bit of ‘Home made’ stuff going on too! I intend putting the car on a diet to lose any un-necessary weight, I don’t like the wheels, or the fat bumpers and it sits quite high. The lighter I can make it the less work (less money) I need to do!

Hi there Getaway', sounds like an excellent plan. I suspect it may have been me that posted that one over on RR. It later went bright yellow, have a hunt through cisco's micra files (Aus micra site) and you'll find some more of it. Who are you on RR?

Pt. 1 Get the car!

First job was to get the car and check it over. This involved driving down to Newcastle on the 3rd of January. Only a few days after New Year so we were all just about sober enough and all the apologies had been made! LOL!

Thanks to Adele who looked after the car before us. (Thanks for the tea too!(Y))

picture.php

On the way home, at Gretna services. The Blue K11 is the Mrs. one!

The MOT failure for the car consisted of…

1.Parking brake no reserve travel (Its got drums on the back so that’s not too bad)

2.N/S/R stop lamp not working (Bulb or bulb holder, easy! The car came with a spare set of rear lights.)

3.O/S/R fog lamp not working (See above)

4.N/S/R outer and inner sill has a projection caused by corrosion (I assume the tester meant protrusion rather than projection!)

picture.php

picture.php

5. O/S/R outer and inner sill has a projection caused by corrosion

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

6.Front valance marked has a projection caused by corrosion (He has used the wrong reason for rejection here but I get the point, the cross member is rotten!)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

7.Front to rear brake pipes corroded

picture.php

8.Both rear outer brake pipes corroded

picture.php

9.N/S/R inner brake pipe corroded (Best get the flaring tool cranked up then!)

It’s not really that bad considering it is a 15 year old K11. It just shows though that many MOT testers still don’t know how to select the correct reasons for rejection.
The tester failed to notice the front brake pads were below 1.5mm (which is a fail)

picture.php

or that the front discs are warped (I'd say a fail too, would have to put it on the rollers to confirm)

picture.php

The ministry would go through this guy like all bran for some of this stuff. This is why, if your car fails it’s Mot and the failure doesn’t really make sense you should ask the guy what it means!

So anyway, Time to get stuck in and do the repairs it needs for its MOT before anything else.

picture.php

picture.php

Hi Mark. It may well have been you, there are a few retro rides folks on here too from what I can see.
Have to confess to having saved most of the pics from retro rides 'unloved K11' thread on my hard drive! LOL!

Hi Mark. It may well have been you, there are a few retro rides folks on here too from what I can see.
Have to confess to having saved most of the pics from retro rides 'unloved K11' thread on my hard drive! LOL!

Yeah matey, Bias is over in the K10 section along with RTLKyubxyz returning after offloading the Viva.

I've just worked out who ya are too, unless there is more than member from Strathaven building a promo car :grinning:

Love for the unloved <-Clicky

Mark! Its Dtuning! Probably worked it out.

Frank! It will be all the more awesome after reading your blog! Already found myself searching ebay for Wagon R springs and cheap 14" steelies to cut up! LOL!

Thought I better give an update!
So far nothing has really happened! Been too busy with broken springs, bent steering arms and head gaskets on customers cars!:laugh:

I've bought loads of stuff though so there will be a decent update with pics and parts for sale soon. (Y)

Good luck with the project, most of the mot faults on yours are normal tbh (excluding warped / bent stuff)

Be interesting to see how this turns out...

AN UPDATE! WAHEY! (Y)

As you can see from the Pics above, replacing the crossmember is pretty high up on the 'to do' list.

So....

picture.php

Picked up a replacement crossmember section from ebay. On some cars in the past I've just welded a few patches on but this one was pretty bad and I figured sticking a new one on would be far neater and easier.

picture.php

picture.php

Always looks worse when you have it all to do!

picture.php

Full frontal nudity! I prefer to drill out the spot welds rather than cut or grind the old one off.

picture.php

Oh dear!

picture.php

The new one was a bit puny and I think the guy who welded the captive nuts in had his mind elsewhere so a bit of 'realigning' was needed.

picture.php

I done a bit of seam welding to beef it up a bit.

picture.php

Fitted!

picture.php

Painted!

picture.php

Even had time left over to give the rocker cover a lick of paint!

picture.php

Stuck on the new bumper too! You can kinda see my 'induction kit' behind it. More of that next time!

picture.php

picture.php

More about these next time too, along with the brakes and suspension, hopefully! :laugh:

If I'm honest, no!
I'd be happy to pop along but the only K11s I'll have on the road then will be a purple 5 door auto (yes, with petrol in it) or Mrs. Getaways 3 door inspiration.
Don't want to be the 'Johnny no mods'! LOL!

First guy ive seen to bin the super s bumpers. lol.

Either way, good luck with it mate. :D Another scottish micra, were cumin back strong! :D

'This week on American Hotrod...'
Had bought some nice SSR 15" alloy wheels from the Suzuki rally team. Treated them to some super sticky Yokohamas. Even bought some cool wheelnuts
Got them back, jacked the car up and...
discovered the centre hole was too small! It was only slightly smaller. I didn't want to 'modify' it myself so I opted for some 10mm spacers and longer studs. Didn't take too long to fit and 10mm isn't going to upset the geometry too much.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Looks much better but the wheels seem to highlight the standard ride height. Need to sort out some lowering springs.

picture.php

Spacers put the micra into 'Barely legal' category!

Anyway, onto the next job! Rather than do something useful the car actually needed, like replace the brake pipes or replace the sills I decided to make a monster induction kit!
Done a bit of research on the internet. What I needed was an induction kit offering to get the cold air to the throttle body through the most direct route avoiding heating the air as much as possible.
Turning the engine round like in the touring cars would have been a bit of a squeeze time wise so I decided to use the airflow from the grille section on the bumper and duct it over the engine.
Next thing to consider was the volume of air I could get into the induction kit. The more air about the better the throttle response. As the air is forced in through the bumper it will cause a ram effect causing the air to rush in faster giving it less chance to heat up.
I had a rake about the workshop and found an HKS mushroom type air filter off a Mitsubishi FTO, some alloy piping and a roll of foil heat insulating tape.
Once I had worked out the route, the first problem was pipe size. The top of the throttle body is about 3" but the air filter I found was 4". I didn't want a 4" pipe running to the throttle body then into a reducer ontop of the throttle as this would cause too much turbulence. Instead I fitted a 90 degree silicone pipe out the throttle body into a 3" diameter pipe. Then I stuck a reducer in so I make the rest of the pipe 4".

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

After mixing for a few minutes, add a garnish of heat resstant foil wrap!

picture.php

picture.php

Had to 'modify' the front bumper to fit the air filter in but I discovered you can hack a good amount of meat out of the back of the bumper without making it look drastically different!

I'll probably have to chuck the lot out and start again when I get my Janspeed manifold but, hey thats life!

It looks a bit excessive but I have had look at whats on offer and they all looked a bit naff or pointless. Mine at least does what its supposed to, cost nothing and it sounds fantastic!(Y)

Last jobs were to relocate the horn, made up a small bracket and mounted it in front of the radiator.

After all this I decided some mischeif would be a good idea!
I intend removing the rear wiper when the cars diet starts so I relocated the rear washer jet to the front bumper (Think I saw a similar idea in another blog! Credit to the author!)

picture.php

so when people come over to point and laugh at my super induction kit I can soak their shoes! :laugh:

Quality! :D I think it was either modded or NeX had their rear wiper jet on the bottom of their rear bumper! Very inventive! :D Its looking good anyway.

You have great work ahead to do the restoration.
I like a lot of white rims contrast with the black is very good.
You're not going to the bumpers of the Super S?

Just a quick note for anyone who asked about the bumpers or wheels I removed, I forgot who asked for what and who could collect them so I'm gonna stick them on ebay at the end of the month. That way everyone gets a shot at them.

Back