what did you do to your micra today ?

thats for oil catch cans.
the stock carbon canister is for storing petrol vapour from the tank and send it into the engine during vacuum rather than just allowing petrol fumes out the open.
its purely an emissions control system.
Thanks Paul. Will edit my post :)

thats for oil catch cans.
the stock carbon canister is for storing petrol vapour from the tank and send it into the engine during vacuum rather than just allowing petrol fumes out the open.
its purely an emissions control system.
i,ll just add that the purge valve only opens when the engine is warm (ie, during closed loop conditions) and the vent entry hole into the t/b is positioned slightly upstream of the throttleplate, so that it is not under vacuum but it has the greatest draw/suction/venturi effect when the throttle is very slightly open (ie, during closed loop conditions) :)

i,ll just add that the purge valve only opens when the engine is warm (ie, during closed loop conditions) and the vent entry hole into the t/b is positioned slightly upstream of the throttleplate, so that it is not under vacuum but it has the greatest draw/suction/venturi effect when the throttle is very slightly open (ie, during closed loop conditions) :)

yep.
the thermostatic controlled purge valve was featured on some engines. my 98 slx didn't have that feature n the canister just received vacuum feed straight away

My first road rally for a few years and first time driving (Muriel) the Micra on a road rally.

Firstly a MASSIVE thank you to all the marshals and organisers for standing out in some horrific cold, windy and very wet weather - all just for us to have a play - many many thanks :)

All the usual pre event stuff was fine, scrutineering was a nice venue and slick work. Start/finish venue worked well, a decent dinner was nice. Lots of pre event work for Lizzie and maths for me working out OTL and due times. OTL times would be handy as it turned out.....

The first part of the event on the tests :-

Tests 1/3 - Great fun, a proper wake up call and lovely gravel.
Tests 2/4 - I was too cautious and a delay with a PC lost us some time.
Tests 5 - 7 - All great great fun, fast flowing tests, all well set out - felt like a shortened WRGB - proper rallying :) Pleased to be just 5 secs (iirc) off Owen on the long 7 min test.

The two regularity sections all made sense, i suspect if you had done the event before you would have known what to do better from the off. But a good concept to give a different result.

Now on to the road rally...

The first few sections were great, coming in our minute and i was just finding the right pace to ensure getting in on our minute and not being too daft.

Then it all went wrong.... a short LWR on a very muddy section i stopped to read the PC board and that was it we were stuck, i tried all the reversing, lock to lock tricks but nothing. Lizzie got out to push (thanks) and then we finally got moving. After this it took a bit to get back on the map and then we struggled to find a PC board in a maze of junctions and crossroads all around a load of houses. We got it in the end, but combined with getting stuck we lost 10mins....
Combine this with the road rally section starting 9mins late (anyone know why ?) we were now getting close to OTL, which we would be edging closer to all night.

Just after this was the flooded section, luckily i let car 33 past as they were much quicker than us. They slowed down for the water, which allowed us to slow right down. There was already one car drowned out and poor Freddy out here too, it was VERY deep and with the air intake on the front the car i couldn't afford for a bow wave to form. Creeping through we just made it. However then in moments when we stopped to see if Freddy was ok the car steamed up and we lost more time (a good few mins) waiting for the screen to clear enough for me to be able to see out. The carpets are still wet now!

The rest of the road rally section was all very fast paced and relentless with no breaks or rests. The not as map lwr's all worked well, thanks to the large diagrams, i could glance over at them whilst driving just before the junction. Due to be being so close to OTL we couldn't afford to drop any time even at NTC's so thanks to those to moved over to allow us through. Also thanks to the Volvo who let us past towards the end of the second regularity.
We spent a lot of the last section of the night chasing / following the LHD 206 Cup Car which was great fun.

Playing the 'what if' game, that we can all play, if we hadn't lost all the time with getting stuck and struggling to find that PC board we would have been knocking on the door of the top ten which would have been pleasing.

Thanks to Lizzie for a top job of telling me where to go, and for pushing us out of the mud. In the end we finished 27th out of 44 finishers and 53 starters.

BhKWeB_IcAAtzJh.jpg:large

Last edited:
Its from the silicone company, looks like they do some good stuff, certainly would not pay the money K@N ask for.
Sorry, just reread my post and it was a little harsh sounding. I didn't mean to be rude... I was just trying to explain my reasoning for saying you don't need yo oil it. Neither would I mate, a filter is a filter at the end of the day :) same with 'race' oil and fuel filters IMO.

Also fitted my cone filter today. The rag will be replaced with a small cone filter.
I cut the air pipe into the air box, and the small fitting that came with the filter was a perfect fit, so, that's that done :)
Wow, wow, WOW!!!!!!! what a difference, feather light throttle response, and pick-up is instant, much, much smoother drive, and a lot more bottom end torque - bleddy brilliant:D:D:D If you haven't done this - get on with it.
Did notice that on acceleration she was a bit flat at 4,000rpm, like, a little hesitant, then picked up again .....any ideas ????
That flat spot is because you have reduced the length of the intake Davy, I fitted a longer intake to the white car and the deliver was smooth as a button the whole way through the rev range when warm with just a very small flatspot at about 3.2k when cold. Longer intakes helps fill the cylinders because you have more air in the system already moving at the right speed towards the engine if that makes sense.

Sorry, just reread my post and it was a little harsh sounding. I didn't mean to be rude... I was just trying to explain my reasoning for saying you don't need yo oil it. Neither would I mate, a filter is a filter at the end of the day :) same with 'race' oil and fuel filters IMO.
Never took it that way bud :) checked the blurb on the filter ... its cotton gauze, so, no oil yeh ?

That flat spot is because you have reduced the length of the intake Davy, I fitted a longer intake to the white car and the deliver was smooth as a button the whole way through the rev range when warm with just a very small flatspot at about 3.2k when cold. Longer intakes helps fill the cylinders because you have more air in the system already moving at the right speed towards the engine if that makes sense.
Cheers for that enuo, I'll sniff out some pipe.

Drove mine to the Forest of Dean where my friend lives. Got lost, but a really enjoyable drive once I knew where I was going (I was supposed to be heading for Lydbrook but ended up on my way to Lydney instead :rolleyes:)

Had a fail moment when coming out of the supermarket this evening. Drive off with handbrake on AND forgot to turn my lights on towards the start :oops:

I literally walked down stairs after seeing it, completly forgot the colour haha. It was a huge monster sticker which was green so my mind was playing tricks I think. I get the feeling they were orange.. I lie... Damn psychology. I deleted Facebook! I feel alive again.

Sooo they'll be blue then lol.

Thanks enuo, I ordered 60 mm today after measuring the outlet from the airbox, looks a decent fit without struggling.

...on the subject of this ^^

Is there much difference to having filter-pipe-airbox-throttle as opposed to intake pipe-filter-throttle arrangement?

Sent from the Magpie's magical nest using Tapatalk

Did my intake pipe today too, fitted a small filter under the washer bottle behind the headlight on the pipe I took the revurb chamber off of before. Had to tape up a small hole but seems realy good. Looks almost standard unless you know what ya looking for. Pics to come tomoz :)

Fitted my blue/green dials today, look ok, probably should have took a bit more time over them - but I'm happy with them :D
Have found tonight though that with the double layer on the speedo face it does not let much light through to the dash, may have to re-think the fitting, I'll try going back to white led's first. They're blue at the moment, which I really like - pity.

Interesting though, the dials are only plastic covers screwed onto a white plastic backing, you can then peel off the green/blue cover which is totally flexible, and less than 1mm thick. I did try to remove the needles with the old spoon trick, but, found that they are glued onto the spindle, so either the needle comes off, or the needle and spindle come out. I ended up drilling out the spindle holes with a 16 mm wood drill so they just slipped over the existing needles.
Here they are :D the second piccy is the cannibalised SR unit. The fixodent in the picture is what I glued them on with - LOL.
001_zps0666d7ef.jpg

002_zpsa3e24b94.jpg

...on the subject of this ^^

Is there much difference to having filter-pipe-airbox-throttle as opposed to intake pipe-filter-throttle arrangement?

Sent from the Magpie's magical nest using Tapatalk
I personally go with pipe-filter-throttle on the basis you can smooth the airflow into the pipe better with an intake trumpet, but unless you're running F1 engine levels of power you won't notice it.

Fitted my wind deflectors crappy PIC was dark by time I was done/started

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393354025690.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393354025690.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 244
I'm about to put in an order for some wind deflectors. Any recommendations?

Did they slot in ok? I've heard some people have trouble opening and closing their windows when them fitted.

I'm about to put in an order for some wind deflectors. Any recommendations?

Did they slot in ok? I've heard some people have trouble opening and closing their windows when them fitted.
Mine fitted in perfectly and the windows operate fine. They're G3 win deflectors I ordered off micksgarage.ie (Irish online motor factors)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Fitted my second smaller filter today, now she's a bit of a screamer :) took her up-to 6,000 rpm - barp, barp ftw.
That's modern speak :) LOL. Got a metre of silicone pipe that looks like I may not use (That's the red in the piccy)
I'll run that set up and see how it goes, if not, I'll fit the piping. I'm going up-to Wells in Somerset on Friday, that'll be a good test.
001_zps4bc7307e.jpg

Fitted my second smaller filter today, now she's a bit of a screamer :) took her up-to 6,000 rpm - barp, barp ftw.
That's modern speak :) LOL. Got a metre of silicone pipe that looks like I may not use (That's the red in the piccy)
I'll run that set up and see how it goes, if not, I'll fit the piping. I'm going up-to Wells in Somerset on Friday, that'll be a good test.
001_zps4bc7307e.jpg
You should come say hi, am only in bristol and have friday off work :)

6,000rpm? That's cute :p

001_zps4bc7307e.jpg

Am I the only one here that would like to see a third, even smaller filter branching off the little one?

Anyone?

No?

No?

Just me then....

You should come say hi, am only in bristol and have friday off work :)
Love to meet you enuo, where to in Bristol ? anywhere near the M5 ? I'm planning leaving here (end of Cornwall) at 2-ish, should take about 3 hrs to get to Bristol area - so ... five, half five- ish, any good ? Then on to Wells.
Other than that I would come off at junction 22 for Wells, going to a wedding on Saturday, beer on Friday night (slurp)
PM me if you like bud :)

Back