• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Tom's Mauritius Blog (attempt 2!)

I still have the 10mm ones. Where would I get extended studs and what's involved in fitting them?

Do they just unscrew?

Tom

tom

you just clout them inwards with a copper hammer (there,s a short spline that grips the hub).
napster posted some extended ones up (on his blog)

Thanks Frank. If I can get some longer ones I'll give it a go.

Cheers MM. By the way, where did you get the grommit you used to cover the wiper hole in your boot? I can't find one bigger than 25mm and it looks like I need a 30mm :s Visited the motor factors, halfords, and a local shop that only had the smaller ones.

Tom

Whippiiiit....:blush: Where'd ya get it? lol

Lost my number plate somewhere on the A12 coming home from work this evening, so no doubt I'll have shiny new ones tomorrow. Should make it look a bit smarter, although I really didn't need that extra expense at the minute!

Tom

Just bought the March number plate "nipples" off of NeX, so will hopefully have those colour coded and fitted next Friday/Saturday. Will likely also go to the scrappy and see whats about.

Got a new number plate in the end too, just a standard one - nothing fancy. Also got a better fitting gromit, slightly small but nicely bodged from inside :D All that's left is to colour code it which will be done at the same time as the nipples :D

Tom

Just playing with ideas on how to place the nipples. I'm definitely leaning towards the first option as it saves my current numberplate and there is less work involved! I also don't really like the standard march layout in option 2

(ignore the de-badging, that's just photoshop!)

Right then...

Option 1
nipples1.jpg

Option 2
nipples2.jpg

Tom

Thanks for the input haha

I decided to go ahead with it anyways, and went up to the local bodyshop as I was feeling a bit nervous about drilling big holes in my boot! He said as it was only a "tin can" I was drilling in to, he would lend me a hole cutter drill bit and I was better off doing it myself... so I have done :D

1-11.jpg

2-10.jpg

3-8.jpg

The rough hole edges still need a bit of smoothing off and I will go over them with touch up paint to stop the rust as well.

Tom

Side view - Even though I already have 35mm springs on, I'm tempted to try 50mm springs and new dampers or whatever at some point...

nipples3.jpg

My nipples! For some reason they've stopped working - they lit up earlier :S

nipples2-1.jpg

Again...
nipples1-1.jpg

and one from aaages ago I just found...
oldstock.jpg

Tom

why dont you just wire the nipples up and not use the standard plate lights? i.e use the same plug in so the normal ones dont work and just the nipples do?

Just bought myself a new JVC headunit with 2 outputs + sub output, a Fli Loaded 900 4 channel amp, and a Fli wiring kit! Hopefully my mum is going to buy my old head unit off me so I can still get my open mouth grill!

Well excited :D It says next day delivery, but of course it's still near Xmas so I don't know...

Also got me a TomTom One satnav for xmas so hopefully I won't get lost as much any more. Could have used that on Xmas eve to find the hospital my brother was taken in to over Xmas :s

Tom

The amp is in now, and sounds good. I was a bit worried when I put the new headunit in as I didn't like the sound it gave out, no matter what I did with the equalizer thingamy. It just didn't sound as good as my old Kenwood. Now I've got the amp in it's not all that important any more and it sounds much better. Only thing is, the wiring kit barely had enough cable for two speakers, let alone 4. Also need another cable to run from the headunit to the amp to power the rear two speakers, as I didn't realise they were separate.

Tom

I've now made a Plywood floor for the boot and a mount for the amp, both carpeted. Just need to find a way of securing the sub in place now. I thought about getting two of the seat belt holder thingamys bolted to the floor and using those to strap it down somehow. Will go to the scrappy for that at some point. Would have gone today but it's raining :(

I have a bit of spare carpet left, and I want to use it to cover over the metal around the edge of the boot as it's all scratched and not nice to look at.

Anyway, the pics:
Resize-Wizard-2-13.jpg

Resize-Wizard-1-23.jpg

Tom

looking good, i used velcro strips with self adhesive on, work a treat no sliding whatsoever, and still leave the boot looking clean and tidy, and the sub removable.

Bought myself some Vibe QB69's (the kick ass square ones) today from Halfords for £60 - not bad at all. Also got some new Diamond 6.5" for the doors coming on monday. Well excited lol. Now I'm skint for another month :(

Tom

Yeah, mine are only running at 100w RMS until I get them their own amp, but they sound OK. Both of mine are in the standard parcel shelf until I can get the wood to make a decent one.

Had a bit of trouble getting them though. Got the new 3-way version this morning for £73, but the woofer on one of them constantly rattled so I took them back so they could have a listen. They didn't have another set to exchange them with, so I've got a slightly older 2-way model and some money back which is always nice :) Not really sure on the difference between models sound wise but they said it was minimal.

Tom

to get the nipples to work correctly, remove the old handle and put some white leds in them.
they will light up anything...

Cheers Anthony and MM. Nipples work now :) Just a bad connection

Just trying a new layout here with the QB69s. I've put my old Alpine's back in too, just running off the head unit until I can get a seperate amp for the QB69s. I was out when my new Diamond front door speakers arrived this morning so a bit gutted, but hopefully I'll get them tomorrow.

IMG_4435.jpg

Now the plan is to make an MDF shelf to hold all 4 speakers that will sit below a carpeted standard parcel shelf with loads of holes in it. That way it will all be hidden, but on show when the boot lifts up :D

One more thing... I'm trying to come up with a way of stopping the boot vibrating. I'm thinking about a wooden panel in place of where the metal one is now, but it's just how to secure it in place...

Tom

OK now I've got my wooden shelf in place :D

Nice much tidier wiring! I'm pleased I did that
Resize-Wizard-3-8.jpg

From the top...
Resize-Wizard-1-24.jpg

In the car - when the boot is shut all you can see is parcel shelf
Resize-Wizard-2-14.jpg

Had a bit of a disaster doing this though. I put my screwdriver through one of my QB69s, in the rubber bit surrounding the cone. I've sealed it best I can using rubber glue, but am just going to have to see how it is tomorrow once the glue's dried properly :(

Fitted my new Diamonds this morning too. Much better than what I had before, although my door cards are rattling again :S
Resize-Wizard-4-4.jpg

Tom

Fitted a Clio front splitter today I got from the scrapyard. All that needed doing was trimming an inch off of each end. Might go back and get another one and do the rear :)

OOh a clio one fits? Just read through your blog matey was a really good read...like what your doing to the car, cant wait to see the piccys

OK I went back and got another Clio one this morning for the rear. They're now both on, so here's the pics.

IMG_4484.jpg

IMG_4493.jpg

IMG_4480.jpg

Also a quick one of my Diamonds :)
IMG_4487.jpg

Next thing should be the open mouth grill if Kristian ever sends it to me.

Tom

looks better blends in well with the rear bumper as well :D

think you should chop bottom of bumper out as well next :D

yeah once its done you only end up having to fill two holes

see micra toms blog he is in process off doing it

forgot to ask where you get the diamonds and how much ?

Yeah I saw that on his blog. I am tempted. Then I might use body filler to smooth the splitters on and paint them. But thats another story and another month!

Cheers MM :)

I think I'm gonna try to book in for a new clutch next week as it seems to be really slipping at the moment. Was talking to the guy at the garage we use and he says it's going to be around £250 :S Nice way to spend all my spare money :(

I would rather have them like they would sit on a March, but that would mean a lot of work smoothing the boot after I remove the handle etc. Will get there eventually!

I got my new longer wheel studs this morning, so will be spacing the rear wheels 10mm each on Friday :)

Cheers Frank.

I've actually spaced both sides 20mm now, and there isn't a *noticable* shift, so I think I will leave it like that. Looks sooo much better from behind now. Pictures tomorrow.

Tom

Back