• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Tom's Mauritius Blog (attempt 2!)

Tom Messy

Ex. Club Member
Since the last blog was more or less all mashed by the hack, here we go again!

Standard car, back in March:
micra3.jpg

Good old reflector!!
micra.jpg

De-bumpstripped and mudflaps added
side-for-web.jpg

Sub and rear 6.5" speakers installed. Front door speakers replaced to match rear.
Sub-for-web.jpg

Colour coded door handles, mirrors and boot handle
colour1web.jpg

Resize-Wizard-1-8.jpg

colour2web.jpg

Reflector removed (accidentally!) and mudflaps trimmed!
Resize-Wizard-2-6.jpg

Stickers removed
Resize-Wizard-4-2.jpg

Dash centre sprayed Ford Paris Blue, as well as inside door handles and bits in footwells.
Resize-Wizard-1-12.jpg

Made speaker boxes for rear speakers, which increased sound quality tenfold! Went to the scrappy and stripped carpet off of the rear seats of 2 micras to make them match! :D There's still space for a pair of 6x9s and 2 amps if needed.
DSC00065.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

Resize-Wizard-3-5.jpg

Resize-Wizard-2-9.jpg

And thats the story so far!

Next job is to convert parcel shelf to stealth shelf! :D

Cheers :D Took me all day to make those speaker boxes. The only thoughts about it (probably it's positioning) is that when you stand directly behind it with the boot open, the small speakers sound really tinny. If you stand just to one side however it sounds pretty nicely balanced. Is that just the way I've positioned them, as they're kind of aiming up? I put them like that so it sounds better in the car, rather than listening to them with the boot open.

Also, any pointers where to get some cheapish acoustic carpet? Halfords looked fairly expensive, although I'm not shocked.

Cheers,

Tom

any more updates pal,come in on really well ! putting any splitters on front or back ?
i think the open mouth grill makes a big difference from the front and looks smart too

I have an open mouth grill?? lol :p

I'll answer some of my own questions... the tinny sound I think was because of the sound bouncing off of the rear window. I put the parcel shelf in and it made a big difference!

Also, found some cheaper acoustic carpet on eBay, 7.30 inc postage for 1.5mx95cm - perfect for my parcel shelf :D Might need a new shelf though, as it split in a couple of places while I was making holes in it :(

Tom

My acoustic carpet came today, so now I have a parcel shelf again! I was nervous parking the car in town without a shelf, but all is well now :D

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

I've covered the front speaker grills on the inside too.

Tom

Not really, apart from covering the rear speakers with some leftover acoustic carpet. Lack of funds really at the moment - trying to start my own business, and not going to have a lot of money until I can get a few customers together.

I think an amp will have to be my next buy, as it is driving me mad at the moment! But after that, it'll be the open mouth I reckon.

Oh and I've removed the rear flaps! Tried to trim one of them a bit more, just to make it slightly more discreet, but messed it up so ripped the other one off as well!

With those speaker boxes I have made, would I get a better sound if they were totally enclosed, or is it OK that the underside is open and sitting on the boot floor? At the moment there's just the four sides and the top with the speaker sitting in, bottom is open.

Tom

Minor update, again spending no money! :D

Ive now made the speaker boxes into actual boxes now instead of just "stands". :)

Used up some leftover carpet and plywood and made a couple of new panels to make the boot area look a bit neater. IMO it looks a lot tidier and hides me bad upholstering on the speaker boxes! I plan to do the sides at some point, and also make a mount for the amp when I get it. Also want to re-cover the speakerboxes in the acoustic carpet I used for the shelf and panels, so it looks like a solid box, not showing the speaker hole.

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

(edit: looking at those pictures its a bit wonky on the right! won't take much to straighten that side out. )

Tom

Finally I think I've worked out why my speakers were being so temperamental and distorting. I was re-wiring the rear speakers today, and suddenly I was able to put it up to maximum without any distortion! Had a massive adrenaline rush, how sad! lol

Aaaanyway, I think the problem was where I had connected the Nissan rear speaker wiring to my new speakers. I had put both positive and both negative wires together in 2 little connector boxes and then split each of them again to go to the speakers. Now what I've done is run each wire through it's own connector box and to the speakers. If that's an obvious mistake I'm sorry!

You've no idea how much that had been bugging me!!

:grinning:

Tom

OK I've managed to nick my mum's wheels at last! lol They're 10mm fatter, and much better quality tyres than I had before, as I went and bought economy. Is nice to have proper Nissan trims too, rather than Halfords
DSC00117.jpg

boot install look good is that it now for the boot ? you planning on getting any alloys.
n im still going to recommend u the open mouth grill i love it i think it makes the front end look sooo much better

Still need to board the sides of the boot, possibly the bottom too, not sure yet. You can count on mods like alloys and grills by may next year when the insurance drops!! LOL. Maybe sooner though, as the insurance went down by £20 per month since im no longer a student.

Tom

Had a go at the engine bay today. Not quite finished cleaning it, but nearly there. It was filthy before.

DSC00136.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

Also started to clean up the rocker cover. I'm fed up of it being all nasty. If I remove it from the car to do, will I need to get a new gasket before I put it back, or can I get away with the one I have already?

DSC00135.jpg

I'm also thinking I might remove the rear seats and board out the back of the car. My business I'm starting would require me to be moving fish tanks, wood, rocks and equipment, and so it would be nice to have that extra bit of space. But If I ever need to transport 2 extra people I'd be a bit stuffed really :S. Also there's how to hide the sub etc..

Tom

Loving what you've done with the car, Engine bay wow wee that's clean I have been put to shame, lol.

The boot install is looking good, I don't plan to do anything like that to mine just yet as I'm starting from the front and working my way back.

Ah yeah, great mud flaps, I was thinking of getting a pair, makes the micra look rallylike.

Top Job there matey! ! !

get the windows tinted then you wouldnt have to worry about your sub or anything valuable you take. and having no back seats is handy as you dont get treated as a taxi service!

nah you dont need to replace the rocker gasket..its advised you do everytime you take the cover off, but its not needed unless the old one is snapped or leaks already.

Thanks for the replys.

The tints are a good idea. I have a guy who is willing to make me some graphics for my business (logo etc) so that would look good on tinted rear side windows. And then I can remove the seats and board one side up for carrying fish tanks, and the other side for the equipment, wood and rocks. Would have to be fairly smart mind you, none of this plumber's van appearance! ;)

I'll have to take the rocker cover off when I get back from Spain (week tues) and finish the job :)

Cheers,

Tom

My Rock Cover has been off 1001 times as you can imagine lolol!! and I have never replaced the gasket, the oil there is no pressured, only splash so as long as there are no nicks I would keep the old one. Just Remeber to check round the gasket after a week's worth of driving to make sure its not weaping.

James.

I haven't done any more to the rocker cover yet - I'm scared to at the moment 'cause I need the car running and if it needs a new gasket I'm stuffed. :glance:

This isn't really an update, just another picture of the car as it stands at the moment. I have sprayed a few more bits inside though, but don't have pictures as yet

ResizeWizard-1-49.jpg

I start my new job on Saturday in an Aquatics shop to back up my business I'm setting up (I did fish at college) so it should soon be time to start up some half-decent mods. On the list of things to do is an open-mouth (hopefully Xmas-time), Lowering 35mm, Wheel spacers, Splitters, Removing rear seats, Tints (to hide audio and aquarium equipment), false floor (to stand aquariums on while transporting), and possibly my business logo on the rear side windows.

I'd like silver bumpers too, but don't feel confident enough to do it myself yet

That's plenty to keep me busy and skint for a few years :D

Tom

Bought some 10mm spacers today, and just fitted them on the rear wheels.

Before:
DSC00166.jpg

After: (on other side obviously)
DSC00165.jpg

I know this isn't a very good picture, but it's only my phone!
DSC00168.jpg

One question I have though is are these safe if the knuts are like this:
DSC00164.jpg

They have plenty of grip on the threads, but they look a bit short to me now. Any thoughts? Also, are these MOT-safe?

Cheers,

Tom

Damn lol. OK thanks. Anyone want to swap some 10mm for some 5mm? fwn

New Side Repeaters today as well :D Only just cover the old hole though. I might put a line of clear silicone around the edge of them at some point just to seal them better and hide the edges of the hole.

DSC00171.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

Tom

Thanks Optispart.

I've removed the spacers now. I took it for a test drive down the road with them on and the brakes sounded funny for some reason. May well just sell them on eBay if I don't swap for 5mm's.

Got some -35mm springs coming next week, but I might have to wait a month before I can fit them due to extra insurance costs. I highly doubt I will be able to wait that long though!

Should be getting an open mouth around Christmas time too or just after :D And I will start working on spraying my steelies black and chrome like Robb has done.

Tom

Got my new/old springs off Robert this morning, so will probably have a go on my day off (Saturday). Need to get some compressors off my uncle first though.

Tom

Yes they are!

How did you do yours? New water container and motors or just used the existing ones?

I bought a new water container and the two motors but can't find a suitable place to mount it yet.

Tom

i just used the washer motor for the rear, check your current washer bottle cause on some they used 1 motor that went 1 way for front and 1 way for the back so you can just fit a motor in the blank.

Ooh I didn't know that. I just assumed I had 2 as thats like the one I got from scrap today. Will have to check that. If there are 2 I will switch it so I am using the rear one for the new jets as that would make more sense as I can still use the old front jets on the window!

Removed the rear wiper this evening. I bought a set of grommets, all of which were too small. I've just reversed the standard rubber seal and put a smaller grommet in there for now, but will get a bigger one and colour code it on saturday or monday.

Sorry about the picture, it was dark!

IMG_4023.jpg

Tom

so does anyone know much about the mauritius like whats the deal i thought it onley came in the greenish colour like mines :D

You never seem to see any Mauritiuses do you? Well at least I don't. I've only ever seen one other on the roads, and it didn't have the big reflector that mine had at the time.

Tom

haha i know what you mean, my first car was a green mauritius and it was a brilliant car. Never seen a grey one though. Kind of like it's uniqueness. good work mate!! :D

i just passed my driving test yesterday (Y) and bought mines off my sister :D
and it has a cowprint interior :p
its a diffrent colour and i think it only relly suits the micra as i tryed to paint some things the same colour ant it looked like crap and it wasnt just from my rattle can skills :p

Right I've put the new springs on. Really wasn't all that hard, the worst bit is getting the old bolts undone that have 13 years of rust sealing them together!

Not noticed a massive difference visually, but they seem a bit stiffer when driving.

Also, the side I did first is maybe 1cm lower than the later side. Is that just the springs adjusting? I've heard they take time to settle, but wondered if it was still the same with second hand springs?

I've also switched the water squirter to work off the rear jet as it won't be needed now, and now just need to re-plumb the front ones in so I can have a clean window again :D

May get pics up later and see if I can see how much it's dropped from an earlier pic. Should have done a before and after really.

Tom

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4025.jpg

Back