• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Solarice's Project.

yeah frank got pipes going all over the place now lol....think im gonna need some kind of heatshield setup, as im kinda reluctant to heatwrap the manifold.

Craig its not cheap but wasnt a bad price (compared to ready made items)...just under £400 (second most expensive part on the car :eek:) thats to the cat front and in stainless, plus i dont mind spending money on something i know is made properly and more importantly i know it fits :D

only took them just over a day to make aswell...

i was planning on trying to make one myself, but with the time saved etc i couldnt be more pleased, ive got some sc oil aswell as it turned out he had some from a previous project, that he wasnt needing anymore so i got that cheaper than the dealer would have been...so everythings good to be setup. :)

paint, mapping...oh and wheels (cos the temp 6j steelies on the front cant quite cut it) lol

all except mapping is virtually sorted.

yeah frank got pipes going all over the place now lol....think im gonna need some kind of heatshield setup, as im kinda reluctant to heatwrap the manifold.

Craig its not cheap but wasnt a bad price (compared to ready made items)...just under £400 (second most expensive part on the car :eek:) thats to the cat front and in stainless, plus i dont mind spending money on something i know is made properly and more importantly i know it fits :D

only took them just over a day to make aswell...

i was planning on trying to make one myself, but with the time saved etc i couldnt be more pleased, ive got some sc oil aswell as it turned out he had some from a previous project, that he wasnt needing anymore so i got that cheaper than the dealer would have been...so everythings good to be setup. :)

That is a very reasonable price indeed for stainless - workmanship looks good to, although if it's only the second most expensive thing then you've not been treating your car enough :p

yeah they do good work (can do them in titanium aswell -- no i never asked the price)...ive seen some of the other manifolds theyve made and they look insane no doubt very expensive, mine looks very normal in comparison :)

Craig i fear ive been treating it to much lol...though ive hunted out secondhand / cheap bits or made it myself, taken more time but ive saved alot of money. :)

Mmmm titanium....

Just done a quick add up of what my car owes me (it's not a good idea:confused:)

Nice one Solarice. Where did your manifold? As we're gonna need one for the turbo eventually as that will be a limiting factor on our engine.

Ivan

Just done a quick add up of what my car owes me (it's not a good idea:confused:)

lol tell me about it...deffo not a wise idea...ive actually mentally blocked that out for awhile now :D

Nice one Solarice. Where did your manifold? As we're gonna need one for the turbo eventually as that will be a limiting factor on our engine.

Ivan

A.A.S (Advanced Automotive Systems LTD) in Newcastle Upon Tyne…they're quite a small company, there was a two week wait for mine to get booked in and that was because they were quiet :D .

probably a canny drive for you?

SANTA POD? ;) :D

Kev :)

If only :D …will have to see, though it deffo wouldn’t be running boost by then…it would at least look the part lol.

Mmmm titanium....

No deffo not. Here is what I reckon my breakdown is:-

My 300zx - Approx 18k
James's 200sx - Approx 10k
James's Micra - Aprox 30k> and still no engine!

Ivan

well my arms look like i self harm, but everythings fitted in the engine bay...theres absolutly no space (I kid you not), so i hope i dont have to remove the sc anytime soon lol :D

will get some pics for comparison shortly and after i finish sorting out the wiring i may also give you's a quick vid of it running...possibly even do a sc turned on and off (vented to atmosphere, so i dont kill the car) -- just for fun :)

lol. where all these pictures mate, still being transfered ;) lol.......think we have all been waiting long enough!!!!! *cough*

any problems with "no more room"? or your happy with fit? heat wrapped manifold?

havent took the pics yet :D (will go now ;) )

manifold isnt wrapped at the moment, i'll probably work on shielding the other pipes instead...the fits pretty good to be honest (if i do say so myself lol), ive had to alter the sc dipstick (read as make my own) but apart from that no real issues.

Edit: Pics now up...theres only two but you get the idea, quite hard to photograph without it looking wierd (guess its one of those must see to believe/understand dealies)...plus i cant get the camera in lol.

Attachments

• Solarice-SCFinalFit01.JPG
    Solarice-SCFinalFit01.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 571
  • Solarice-SCFinalFit02.JPG
    Solarice-SCFinalFit02.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 589
well it runs!! :D hardwired the sc and it turns and produces a good bit of boost, concerned it may be more than the roughly estimated 5psi (though shouldn’t be way more)...but I’ve got the fuelling to back it up so shouldn’t be a problem.

only thing was I wasn’t sure was the sound the sc made but after a few days of additional research (searching vids and asking on other forums) I’m led to believe it actually sounds like it should, which I’m relieved about...

it still sounds a little off from my initial thoughts of what it would sound like, but I’m guessing that’s mainly because its venting.

Think I’m gonna put an additional pulley on the belt just to assist it, but apart from that everything so far seems fine. (Y)

well it runs!! :D hardwired the sc and it turns and produces a good bit of boost, concerned it may be more than the roughly estimated 5psi (though shouldn’t be way more)...but I’ve got the fuelling to back it up so shouldn’t be a problem.

only thing was I wasn’t sure was the sound the sc made but after a few days of additional research (searching vids and asking on other forums) I’m led to believe it actually sounds like it should, which I’m relieved about...

it still sounds a little off from my initial thoughts of what it would sound like, but I’m guessing that’s mainly because its venting.

Think I’m gonna put an additional pulley on the belt just to assist it, but apart from that everything so far seems fine. (Y)

not put any of the boost into the engine just yet (had to check the sc wasnt gonna destoy itself when i first heard it running -- plus didnt want to do the engine any harm)...ive got one audio file, sc currently sounds a bit kazooish (sc was totally open at that time) lol...something im hoping will sort itself out once its all plumbed in.

gotta tension the belt properly as its a bit hit and miss at the moment...then the car will be being painted before its all finally setup.

solarice

ahh, i see, you are a tease :laugh:
if the belt is slipping on open ports, maybe you,ll need bigger pulleys once under pressure ?
what is it, 40mm polyvee ?

lol...the belts actually not to bad, ive got some adjustment yet...so will see how it goes (will depend mostly on how it stretches), i do know whiteknights had belt slip eventually which he fixed with an additional pulley and a stickier belt iirc...though the outside temps are slightly different between here and australia, so may not be so bad. :D

Though i will possibly take that as research and stick an idler pulley in, just to add that bit extra.

The sc belts somewhere between 15mm and 20mm wide. (was able to use the original oem sized sc belt -- though replaced with a new one :)) it works out one rib less than the normal micra alternator belt.

yup, but its just aswell it is to be honest...cos theres very little room to fit it anyway :D

Theres a replacement belt, that was mentioned on cisco's not long ago...thats supposed to be a better replacement to the standard (cross cut or softer or something lol), so can always go down that route if need be.

i,m following your thread with great interest ;)

should i read into that, that youre tempted... :D

ive uploaded the soundfile, if anyone wants a listen (can see what i mean :) )...sounds alot quieter than it is. :eek:

Attachments

• Solarice-SC12-Sound.mp3
    251.9 KB · Views: 498
ah right cheers :)

Think im gonna have to get something around abouts the size of a skateboard wheel...just been looking for wheels around the 30mm wide with a 10-12mm bore mark...havent yet done the maths on its diameter. :)

well i pinched an idler from frank and the belts now pretty tight (not overly just about right) no slip or anything at the moment.

Had the whole intake system fitted, and with the sc disconnected the engine is able to breath fine through the sc just fine (so i dont need to start working out an air bypass system) ...the engine causes the blades to rotate slowly but no problem with that.

So far so good :)

spent the last few days, working on the bodywork...trying to get as much of it sorted or close to sorted so when i finally decide on getting it painted theres less for them to do.

Ive also been giving mapping alot of thought (who and where), and after seeing what people seem to charge for a dyno or just a road map (and recovering from the shock :D )...im very tempted to give this a shot myself, ive got all the software and leads anyway, all id need is a suitable wideband setup (not hard to source one with a datalog feature).

Will see how it goes... :)

Im keeping the style secret until i get them and see for myself (lets hope they look/fit ok :eek:)...but i will say they're a 3 piece race wheel...just dont ask the cost. :laugh:

what did i say ;)
you can at least tell us then mate when the "re-spray" date is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
please please please, upload a pic of the front of car.......to include: bumper, splitter and arches.................please!!!!!!!!!???

right now naps, the front end is in bits...busy fighting the bonnet as its refusing to sit correctly grr ...will see what i can sort out but its not looking pretty.

with regards the paint it'd be better if you told me, as there'd be more chance of you being correct :laugh: soon...i hope.

spent my paint money on my new shiny wheels :)

Naps this pic was taken about 5 mins ago...dunno if it'll give you the angle you need, but hope it does :) as you can see its still a few different colours :D

oh and its not that low normally...well it is nearly, but the tyre has gone down on the drivers side so its giving a false height at the moment. :)

Attachments

• Solarice-FrontBuilt.JPG
    Solarice-FrontBuilt.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 635
Naps this pic was taken about 5 mins ago...dunno if it'll give you the angle you need, but hope it does :) as you can see its still a few different colours :D

oh and its not that low normally...well it is nearly, but the tyre has gone down on the drivers side so its giving a false height at the moment. :)

Oh Yeah!!!!!! Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice one

Back