• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Solarice's Project.

well its been awhile, but another tiny update...as i was out testing the car making sure it shouldnt have any mot problems and that the clutch was setup correctly, i decided to take some vids so Nex and others can see what the lightweight flywheel does to the running of the car, granted it'll be slightly different when driving but im sure you'll agree its a pretty cool :D... (accel pedal only about 50-75% down if that :eek: (my bro was doing the pedal pushing)

oh the rattle you can hear in the rev video is the intercooler at the front because it hadnt been fully tied down at that point ;)

also for some reason which i cant figure out the exhaust which is totally NA at the moment janspeed manifold etc, doesnt have the same rasp youd associate with the janspeed manifold...a bit of a puzzler, not that im that bothered either way as it just a temp measure. :)

anyways check out the vids more should be on the way soon...

Attachments

• Solarice-Exhaust-NA.mp4
    405.8 KB · Views: 610
  • Solarice-Rev.mp4
    364.3 KB · Views: 770
Looks Good

I was expecting to see the flywheel moving, you know like on mad max when he turns the turbo you see these pulleys strating to operate. Nevermind. It's nice to see that some people have a rev meter.

im baffled as much as you about the janspeed, lol...its the exact same system by bro had on his old micra, and yet it sounds completly different...

im baffled as much as you about the janspeed, lol...its the exact same system by bro had on his old micra, and yet it sounds completly different...

probs because you have a supercharger witch should quiten it down a fair bit...obv the same with a turbo car, exhaust is quiter than an NA.

hows that work then, because the supercharger has nothing whatsoever to do with the exhaust. whereas a turbo baffles the pulses created by the engine.

your logic has confused me.

sc's not connected yet :) ...as i need a new manifold making to allow it to sit in place, so its basically the same NA setup...except that ive got additional items on the fueling side...

yeah it is...though that raises more questions...cos if it didnt on yours...did on his...and now doesnt on mine. :S bah i'll just blame ghosts lol.

if i think on, i'll dig out the vid of his and post it up for comparison...he liked the rasp though so didnt go into to much investigation, plus we'd read it had a rasp so took it as it was meant to be...

i read somewhere that the lager bore, competition janspeed series didnt rasp, maybe its that. if thats true.

Excellent progress tho ;)

hows that work then, because the supercharger has nothing whatsoever to do with the exhaust. whereas a turbo baffles the pulses created by the engine.

your logic has confused me.

i must be thinking of just a turbo car then :doh: dont have much knowalge about super chagers....

i read somewhere that the lager bore, competition janspeed series didnt rasp, maybe its that. if thats true.

Excellent progress tho ;)

nah, its not the competition one, i ordered the normal one, but i wonder if the order got stuffed up and i got a competition one instead?.

tbh though i think its just the normal manifold, still no idea about the selective rasp....

found the clip of the system when it was on matts...it did change alittle bit after this vid (i think :S) but was basically the same.

as you can tell totally different :eek:

oh and if anyones interested i maybe selling my catback powerflow system...had it about 2 and a half years...for the last year and a bit its been in storage. Still undecided but as soon as i make up my mind it'll be put in the buy/sell section, before that if anyones interested let me know.

Attachments

• runaway-robot exhaust.avi.wmv
    696 KB · Views: 707
ok squarepants but is that cos you know the guy ??? not really fair to say that if you do...or is that price based on mild steel?

im open to offers, that why i said "looking for somthing like" i paid more than that (obviously)...... :)

ok squarepants but is that cos you know the guy ??? not really fair to say that if you do...or is that price based on mild steel?

im open to offers, that why i said "looking for somthing like" i paid more than that (obviously)...... :)

no he doesnt know the guy, and its stainless 2'' lol he was telling me about it.

personally im sceptical of that...but maybe thats me, plus it doesnt really have anything to do with what im trying to sell in the other thread, and id rather not clutter up this one either.

i can get a mandrell bend stainless catback system for £150 with a backbox of my wish. in that price above....

really, where from? if you are refering to gary's, then it cost him £34 for backbox and £150 for the 2" mandrel bent catback system with s/s cat flange and sleeved backbox connection, so £184 in total. but the guy said he'd massively underestimated him, and wouldn't do another for that price. it'd be quite a bit more than that.

the place in question is ojz engineering near worksop, give em a call, they do know what they're on about.
www.ojzengineering.co.uk

despite money delaying the project (im willing to accept donations lol) theres been a tiny update...coilovers have arrived and now fitted and the cars looking the part.

new wheels should be sorted soon, something that would have been done by now, but i failed to win a lovely set of wheels on ebay...and hopefully over the next couple of months everything should start speeding backup as theres only about 4 big things left to do and its done.

omg that thing spins up instantly :D how cool is that :D cant wait to get my fly on now :D

just another quick question. how difficult was it to fit the arches.
i have them, lined them up and theres some big gaps on the front bumpers.

did you trip the arches or the bumpers?

Theres alot of modification needed to make them fit (it not easy but not super hard...though depends how comfortable you are at making/modifying things i suppose)

I spent probably over a week slowly trimming them to fit and even then i wasnt going for a super close fit as i was bonding them on...to get the bottoms to fit close to the car you need to trim the front / rear metal parts on the car aswell...which you'll see when offering them upto the car, so have a jigsaw or hacksaw handy.

From looking at all the pics on the net, apart from the mulholland peoples fitment there always seems to be gaps of some sort...which i can only assume is sorted by removing a decent amount of arch.

Be brave and slowly does it, lol :D

dude ive never noticed this blog!!!

class progress and updates!

cant believe ive never heard of it, youre just over the water from me.

Cheers :) tbh apart from on here and a few updates on japnortheast its a fairly quiet project...so unless you found the thread (like you have now :)) theres not much chatter about it.

another update as its been awhile...no BIG announcement just yet unfortunatly though :)

well ive got the oil pressure, temp and boost gauges in...the boost wasnt exactly necessary with it being a sc, but it'll help when its first setup plus keep me informed incase theres any leaks in the future.

Bonnet Pins are now fitted, just to add to some extra support for the latch, as the intercooler mounting position has removed some of the original bracing, and im figuring better safe than sorry.

Pre Intercooler/ SC plumbing is virtually all sorted just need a couple of plates making up and it'll be good to be final welded.

Post Intercooler pipes are all cut to length and are all mocked up awaiting fitment, along with matching silicone hoses.

Wheels are still being figured out, but should be good in the not to distant future.

Finally sorted out the headlight issue thats been bugging me for ages, fusebox had partially died (the usual problem) so rewired and replaced corroded connectors and after a little bit of fiddling with another bad plug connection, the light now works ...so one last thing for the mot guy to mention. :) (plus its always good to have two working headlights)

decided id fit the front upper strutbrace to get it on the car as its been wanting fitting for ages now.

plus probably a load of other little things that i cant remember...

hopefully more exciting news soon :)

woo the plates have arrived from the laser cutters (and match my expectations...good to know my cad designs were accurate :D), so i can now finish the supercharger pre intercooler induction side of things...pics included below (nothing that exciting but gives you an idea and more importantly a decent update :)).

well im off to get this all mocked up for final welding, should be looking at induction finished in next couple of days. :)

Attachments

• Solarice-PostIC-Induction.JPG
    Solarice-PostIC-Induction.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 573
  • Solarice-SCPlates.JPG
    Solarice-SCPlates.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 492
well ive finished up the induction system, so decided to do a quick mockup and take another engine bay pic...which you can see below. Hard to see everything e.g Post SC Piping (tried a few angles but it never looked quite right), hopfully it gives a goodish idea of how crowded the bays becomming...if not, lets just say once the manifolds in then theres no more room lol.

Attachments

• Solarice-EngineBay2.jpg
    Solarice-EngineBay2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 732
yeah, theres no way a "normal" one would fit...should be getting it booked in shortly, cos its something i can let them worry about :laugh:

all the induction (pipework & hoses) excluding the filter, cost me next to nothing aswell...which is one more point to me for cost efficiency :)

im probably 70% pleased with the sc outlet piping, mainly as its more function over form...cos there was pretty much no other way to route it, without blocking one of the exhaust ports off, gotta compromise somewhere i guess :)

very impressive mate! getting there!!!! you seem pleased?
that video of your rev gauge.......your needle moves........insanely quick!!!!

random question: did you trim your rear arches to suit wider wheel setup? i think you did?

pleased its moving on, and i can see what its turning into now :)

yeah i love that rev video lol, now i only need to see it in action on the road.

rear wheel arches were altered yeah, but more for arch fitment than wheel access (if you get what i mean).

glad your pleased mate! so you should be to!!!

yeah understand arch answer!!
thank you!!
well not long then till your booked in at garage for custom manifold :p

not long now!!!

yeah i keep repeating "not long now" in my head, that and looking at the check list that now has lots of crossed lines running though it. :)

just noticed its got an oil filter re-location kit. there a right nightmhare to get to std...i carnt reach it anyways lol. where did you get that from out of intrest?

oh also, where was the nismo replica (iirc) front chin lip/bib from and how much? i know nismo did a diffrent style one for the facelifts, but i like the prefacelift version ive also seen it on a facelift so its got to fit! ive always wanted one....will go well with my custom side skirts that are in my shed.

yeah i hate the standard oil filter access :) the oil relocation kit...is a greddy race one for the micra...but i bought it from yahoo auctions (most of my jdm type items are from there :)) as even with shipping etc it was still way cheaper than the same item in the uk...though you could probs make up the same from bits and save a bit more, but to save hassle i decided to buy it hoses pre cut etc.

only thing is i couldnt get it to fit, the way the diagram suggested, so thats why the carbon canister has now been relocated aswell...but then ive also got the oil pressure sender up in the same place aswell now, so not a big deal really as its all worked out :)

the spoiler was pretty expensive (before shipping) but figured id spend the extra to help it stand out...it was also a pain to get from japan...because apparently its to wide for air freight, so it needed sending by boat.. :)

I have an odd question, with the remote oil filter, what rubber ring did you use as mine leaked all over the gaff?
Craig

it came with the O ring already, so i didnt need to buy one seperate...but id say you might be able to use one from an oil filter...as id guess you can buy those without the need to purchase a filter aswell....that said the greddy one, isnt flat like the oil filter is, its a round rubber ring.

it came with the O ring already, so i didnt need to buy one seperate...but id say you might be able to use one from an oil filter...as id guess you can buy those without the need to purchase a filter aswell....that said the greddy one, isnt flat like the oil filter is, its a round rubber ring.

That is what my one is like - I had a real trouble geting it tight wenough as it slightly fouled part of the block casting, was yours simple enough?
Craig

yeah mine had/has no problems at all...though it would only go on one way (to avoid inlet support bracket etc), but eveything else bolted upto it without any problems...only leaks ive had is when i didnt tighten up the hose clamp properly apart from that no issues what so ever.

Back