• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Solarice's Project.

solarice

Ex. Club Member
As the cars getting ever closer to being finished, I figured id give a run down of what I’ve been up to. The car was took off the road earlier this year and has been systematically dismantled over the past few months.

During the dismantling the reason for poor drivability was fairly evident from the oil that had found its way into the gearbox, which wasn’t much of a surprise as at times you could watch it running (not drips, a virtual constant flow) out the bottom as the car was idling.

Since that time it’s had a new front end and sills fitted as well as new fuel lines and brake lines to get it in a high standard condition for the project…with a replacement engine and gearbox available its getting time to put it all back together.

It’ll be good to get the new engine in after all this time, as the rebuild will be truly on…plus on start up I’ll be able to see what difference the new lightweight flywheel actually makes. :)

Ive got more pics of different things (brakes, plus boxes of stuff ;) etc) but i'll drip feed these as the rebuild goes on as id rather show them on the car (even if its a mockup), instead of boxed...

Attachments

• Oil-Gearbox.jpg
    Oil-Gearbox.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 1,387
  • EngineBay1.jpg
    EngineBay1.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 1,481
  • EngineBay2.jpg
    EngineBay2.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 1,230
  • EngineBay3.jpg
    EngineBay3.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 1,264
  • EngineBay4.jpg
    EngineBay4.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 1,280
  • TakingApart.jpg
    TakingApart.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,495
OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Tiny update, just a quick mockup pic of the front lip spoiler ive got :) not the best shot but you should be able to tell what it is (if not please wait until the cars finished :) )...for those that recognise it im gonna be mean and state the following, im not saying how i got it or how much it cost and no copies will be made available...main reason i tracked down the parts to help the car stand out and duplicates would defeat that objective. Hope you understand :)

more important progress should be made shortly...

Attachments

• Solarice-Project-Front-Spoiler.jpg
    Solarice-Project-Front-Spoiler.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 1,652

Antony

Ex. Club Member
no way....if thats what i think it is......im gonna hunt you down and make a copy whilst you sleep......

or just nab it for myself....GRR

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
OMG!!! is that a nismo splitter!!!!!! i want!!!!!

thats not fair :down: you have to tell me where it came from :(

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
nex, i think they are referring to the black march that i believe someone on here now owns...to save all the speculation i didnt get it off ebay ;) ...more goodies coming soon. :D

NeX

Club Member
nex, i think they are referring to the black march that i believe someone on here now owns...to save all the speculation i didnt get it off ebay ;) ...more goodies coming soon. :D

oooh where did you get it ?!?!

i hope you don't pull out some ultra rare convertable march super s....

NeX

Club Member
hmmmm, grr

well I will pull out something to rival all micras in the near future so :p

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Ok so its been awhile since ive posted anything in here...so as i was checking clearances i figured id post up a pic. Now some of you's will know what im up to, some will suspect they know and others wont know a thing :) ...that is until now (see pic).

Can you see what it is yet ?? :D (Hint: bracket kindly supplied by whiteknight ;) )

yup you are correct thats exactly what im planning on running with some extra bits to boot...

will update more as and when it happens.

MODS: guessing this should now be in the k11 blog section, but instead of starting a new thread, i'll let one of you's move this one :)

Attachments

• Solarice-EngineMockUp.jpg
    Solarice-EngineMockUp.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,913

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
fantastic, when is it likly to hit the roads?

what internals have you done if any?

come on give us some juicy specs lol :)

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
no need to worry about completition...this WILL be built as ive got everything i need to finish this :) (unless somthing unforseen happens).

This is gonna be pretty much along the lines of whiteknights (ciscos site) project using the sc12...with some slight differences (think different parts lol).

hitting the road "shortly" lol mainly as ive not got details on delays for paint etc....nothing has been uprated internally, though i do have some cams id like to get put in once i know the engines running fine.

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
what kind of boost are you planning on running? surely it can't be alot with standard internals? or have you used a head spacer plate? is it a brand new charger, or is it off another car?
sorry for all the questions lol:p

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
The sc's from a different car, standard internals for what im planning should be fine...if i get the urge to spend a load more money and up the booost then the internals would get an upgrade, but these are a bit chunk of cash compared to the cost of everything else ive currently sourced. (Intercooler for example cost me £10 delivered)

So its a fine balance, between strong and skint :)

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Been a bit quiet for a few weeks, so bit of an update...had to replace my drivers rear hub as the bearing was on the way out, should of been a quick and simple job to do...turned into a bloody nightmare after snapping one of my socket bars and angle grinding the crap out everything its off...typically fitting the new one took five mins. :)

apart from that ive painted the rear drums black again, fitted all new brake and fuel lines...partially fitted the goodridge hoses (fronts still to do).

also got the new engine and gearbox fitted along with the lightweight flywheel and helix / almera hybrid clutch setup...should find out how the car runs with the new flywheel very shortly (will post a vid for comparison :) )

included some pics for you's :)

next major steps are finishing up the loom (10 min job), final installation of sc / alt, a test run and then a trip for the new manifold and bodywork...getting ever closer to being finshed :D

Attachments

• Solarice-RearHub.jpg
    Solarice-RearHub.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 867
  • Solarice-ClutchFitted2.jpg
    Solarice-ClutchFitted2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 795
  • Solarice-ClutchFitted1.jpg
    Solarice-ClutchFitted1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 868
  • Solarice-FlywheelFitted.jpg
    Solarice-FlywheelFitted.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 880
  • Solarice-Flywheel&Clutch.jpg
    Solarice-Flywheel&Clutch.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 856
  • Solarice-Intercooler.jpg
    Solarice-Intercooler.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 857

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
hehe, i snapped my 24" long 1/2 breaker bar undoing the nut!!!
could i possibly ask how much the clutch setup cost? (and where from?)
also, do you know the actual weight of the lightweight fly.
cheers.

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
IIRC it is about 4.5kgs, I was hopimng to be the 1st to get theirs installed, looks like you beat me to it - good job!

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Blimey! It's about time! I've re-built a whole car in the time it took you to install that lol ;)

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
I think the clutch setup was about £170 (thats a full almera clutch kit and helix plate) the helix being the most expensive part and theres not alot on it :) so hopfully i wont destory it to quickly (more concerned with getting used to it than the power at the moment)

helix plate can either be bought from matthew humphris (if memory serves me correctly) or from a few different sites (rally nuts for example)...almera clutch pretty much any motor factors or nissan

not far off craig :) though i think the flywheel, is about 3.2kg's (thats from memory...its roughly half the weight of the normal 1.3 micra one) i was planning on photographing the true weight differeces...though typically i only remembered that after id installed it :S (a ###### moment, if you will)

Blimey! It's about time! I've re-built a whole car in the time it took you to install that lol ;)

same here, lol thats why its taken so long...

jobs as for today :

got my driveshafts, hubs, sunny calipers/pads/discs/front goodridge hoses, the new engine bay hoses...the sc and alternator temporarily fitted in the bay to sort out wiring, spacing (what space left is now at a premium) and intercooler positioning (which i now fear may be to big to fit, lol).

pretty much everything ive removed from the car (like the first few items above) have either been repainted or replaced...so its got a nice new feel about it.

will get pics up tomorrow as im quite liking my new front brakes :D

funnily enough its gotten to a point where i actually stood back and had a "bloody hell it looks like a car" moment.

just a shame i need to remove the sc to fit the standard mainfold back to start her up...

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
think its gonna have to be a custom jobby...will get a pic of just how much space there is between the sc and engine tomrrow, and you'll see why :)

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
The only pic ive got at the moment is this one...gives you an idea of how little room there is.

Ive roughly got about 6-7cm of space between the sc and engine...and ive got to fit one exhaust manifold branch and the outlet for the sc in virtually the same area, so it should be interesting. :)

Dont think ive mentioned this before, but the engines mounted on nismo bushes and also has some of the sfs hose collection fitted.

Attachments

• Solarice-EngineBay.jpg
    Solarice-EngineBay.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,823

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
this is looking good, loving the hose set.
what kind of setup did whiteknight have with this problem? any pics of his setup?

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Looks good, do you still have the heater matrix then?
It might be worth speaking to ed, if you haven't already, as he knows someone that is doing a SC conversion one day...
Also, maybe look into a cube manifold, they are kined to avoid aircon or something.

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
The car will have all the luxuries as it came out of the factory, which means im currently not stripping out the interior either...mainly so its not too hard core (ironic i know as ive strapped a sc on but anyway :) )

Id actually thought about the cube manifold or even a k11 with aircon performance manifold...but as these would need to be imported it works out about the same cost to get one made up :S ...plus the guy im looking to get mine done by gives lifetime warranties on his exhausts so once id payed for it, its there for as long as i own the car.

kind of 50/50 decision - imported less hassle to get, sit back and wait for delivery...custom made good for ages, plus it definitly fits.

had a quick rummage in my photo collection and whiteknights manifold was like the attached pics...hope he doesnt mind me using his images :)

also tried a few times but cant get a decent pic of my calipers so that'll have to wait for another day.

Attachments

• whiteknight-exhaust1.jpg
    whiteknight-exhaust1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,128
  • whiteknight-exhaust5.jpg
    whiteknight-exhaust5.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,038
OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
gonna do my best :) just heard theres a 4 - 6 week wait for any work from the guy i was thinking about using so thats gonna add a little delay, though i may be able to get the body sorted while im waiting...will have to see.

actually a tiny update, turns out i may get my original intercooler to fit after all...just gonna take a bit of jiggery pokery.

GT88

Ex. Club Member
it will sound lush with the manifold made like that, you’ll get a different note out of each one.

nice work by the way.

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
unfortunatly thats not my manifold (if you were thinking that) its just for reference, but it should go someway to being similar at least :)

OP
OP
solarice

solarice

Ex. Club Member
just a little update (just so you know i am still working on it :) )

intercooler position seems to be sorted (brackets 85% complete) and all clearance issues are resolved (bumper needs a little tweaking to help air flow, will get splitter fitted shortly afterwards)...ive gotten the dizzy and cam cover gasket fitted / tightened down (plus other bits).

Fuel tank will be in early next week, ive sorted the plumbing for sc control (just need to buy the parts). Also i can now get the flanges for the sc made up as ive handmade the gaskets for that so they can be used as templates.

A few other things have been done as well (though i cant remember what lol)

engine start up within next week or so (even if it is only temporarily)