• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Solarice's Project.

Interesting, I will haveto get teh vice grip on it and see how I go then :)

Any E.T.A. for this being on the road?
Craig

im trying to avoid anymore E.T.A's :laugh: but its so very close...

if you want me to try and get you a pic of how mine sits at the back of the engine give me a shout...the only other thing i did with mine was to oil the seal, both in the groove and on the contact surfaces :)

Here you go :) took some getting the angle right...dunno if yours is the same one or not, but lets you see how it sits.

Attachments

• Solarice-OilRelo-BackEngine.JPG
    Solarice-OilRelo-BackEngine.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 594
No, mine is very diffferent, it is a lot fatter in the middle - do you have any pics off the car as it looks tear-drop shaped to me.
Craig

nah i havent unfortunatly..but yeah it is a tear-drop shape.

actually just did a quick search and this is what they look like : Clicky-Clicky :)

--------------------

also i know ive mentioned about the engine bay filling up before...but more proof is available, as if it was needed. Ive upgraded the horns on the car, because as we all know the original ones...well, suck.

So my new shiny ones arrived this morning and they dont fit in the space they are meant to. Slightly gutted as i was hoping it to be a 5min job, lol. But where theres a will theres a way, so some tinkering is needed but they are indeed going in, possibly now on the passenger side of the bay.

nah, its actually mostly tucked up behind the number plate mount...so shouldnt get much rain being sent into it (will be monitoring it though), i may put one small piece to deflect a little rain away from it (its visible in about a 1/4 to a 1/2 of the square cutout in the bumper)...but really the most it'll probably get is something to redirect more air into it. :)

Not from the elements - I meant from heat as it looks like it'll be sat right next to the exhaust!
Craig

ah right nah, its clear of that aswell...the filters floating above the cross member, on the far left...whereas the new manifold will mostly be over the far right...so shouldnt have any heatsoak problems...im actually more concerned about the sc outlet piping for that, so they'll probably be being heat wrapped to help avoid it...same with manifold. :)

well today i got the stainless steel induction pipes back all welded up (quicker than me trying to do it), and they now just need a little persuasion to get them to fit the supercharger...apart from that jobs a goodun. :D (included a few pics below).

Im actually quite pleased with them now, as they look alot better then when i was measuring, cutting and temp fitting them all together with sticky tape :laugh:

Three big jobs left to do - Manifold, Paint and Mapping...MOT and stuff like that is now good as done. :)

i can almost hear the sc whine...lol

Attachments

• Solarice-OutletFinalWelded01.JPG
    Solarice-OutletFinalWelded01.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 438
  • Solarice-OutletFinalWelded02.JPG
    Solarice-OutletFinalWelded02.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 404
  • Solarice-OutletFinalWelded03.JPG
    Solarice-OutletFinalWelded03.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 385
well the induction pipes now fit (minus a little gap -- as the gasket paper ive got is a little to thin, so i need to remake the gaskets) and as i was busy i decided to polish up the sc a bit...so its a bit more shiny than it was before. :)

and seeing as they dont seem to produce one for the micra ive been toying with the idea of making a slam cooling panel to help redirect more air into the radiator...ive already worked out the template, so just need to decide if i should convert it into aluminium.

what do you's reckon?, think its worth it or do you think the bonnet does its job good enough already...

Awesome mate! jobs a "good'n" hey lol :) ?
thats some lovely pipe work! very smart!
slam panel....your choice! would be a good idea. as as you already have the template!!!! time??

Wow solarice this has to be one of my favourite MSC blogs. I've often thought about supercharging my SR20. Was just wondering what are you using to control fuelling?
Thanks
Corbs

cheers naps :) the pipes look very nice on the sc but i cant find the camera :( or id lets yous see...

slam radiator cooling panel wise probs a couple of hours and it would be made (after i buy some aluminium) as its only a few bends and a couple of holes :D

...downside to it, is that from looking at the front into the engine bay the sc, ic and some induction pipework would be hidden...but then im not going show car, im going performance so maybe its a decent enough compromise.

will see how cheap i can get the aluminium as i was thinking about getting some anyway to make a air filter shroud...so it may be worth the experiment.

Corbs ive an emanage blue lined up for management (im hoping it'll do the trick), but also bigger injectors, upgraded fuel pump the usual stuff to help it out. :)

oh and while im typing, phoned an insurance company today after giving them the list of modifications :eek: they said theyd have to phone me back as it had to be sent to the underwriters which i was advised would take ages because of the car in question...lol (not suprising really)...currently hoping for a cheap quote. :laugh:

ok well ive found the camera, so figured id let you's see what these pipes look like on the sc... :) This may not be the most ideal route (have yet to see) but it does its job...i.e gets the air to the intercooler, while keeping pipework to the absolute minimum...so i like them...

for anyone whos seen the early mockup pics, you can probably now tell its a little more polished than before (not gonna attempt polishing the indents as i like the contrast...convenient eh :laugh:), but i ended up using a wire wheel to remove most the corrosion as not even autosol could get rid of it :)

Attachments

• Solarice-SCwithPipes1.JPG
    Solarice-SCwithPipes1.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 633
  • Solarice-SCwithPipes2.JPG
    Solarice-SCwithPipes2.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 572
cheers frank :D

Retepetsir...theres always the talk of smooth or angled...i suppose smooth would be better, cos its well...smooth :) but i dont think my design will cause any serious problems (its not as angular inside as it is outside - if that makes sense).

The second pic (in my previous post) shows the outlet pipework and as its all getting ran through the intercooler (air will be backed up slightly), it should even out any issues as everything after the IC is all smooth curves.

ive seen pics of high boost japanese cars (and turbod micras) that are all angles and they dont seem to have an probs :)

...plus with the cut angles i was able to mockup / make all the pipework myself, so saved some money aswell...

little bit of news, its now insured...so im good to go now :)

also the oil pressure problem (and i may be being premature here, but bah!) seems to be fixed...gave it a bit of a warm up, a little blast and after ticking over it settled out at 20-30psi (oil temp 80c) will give it a look at tomorrow to double check, but fingers crossed.

for anyone wondering how i fixed it...its either the little blast i gave it has dislodged / freeded something thats settled while the engines been standing.

or and possibly more likely...i was just being overly nervous and shutting the new engine off for fear of doing it some damage...

got a few pics of it, outside with virtually everything on it...looks pretty cool, even if it is still patched with primer.

CONGRATULATIONS MATE! THATS FANTASTIC NEWS! IM SO PLEASED ITS INSURED AND ALL BITS ARE FINALLY WORKING!!!!

i wish you where now selling your lovely k11 to me ;) lol!!!! or you fancy another project ;) lol!!!

SC looking very shiney and tidy!!!

get LOADS of pics up please!!
naps

nope nope, not just yet... ;) cars not totally finished (unfortunatly)...body still needs paint, but yeah mostly everything (i can do) is indeed sorted.

one stubborn gearbox oil drip remains...which looks like i'll have to drain the oil to fix :( ...so will just monitor it (we're only talking one or two drips a week at the moment) until i change the oil...which wont to be that far away, as im switching both engine and gearbox oil out after its had a bit of a run.

sorry for getting you's excited :D ...but yeah, videos and close up pics will be getting made soon.

oh and if any on the NE lot see (probs hear first), a roughly primed wide micra knocking about...good chances are its me, heading for paint prices...lol.

can we get some pics/videos power feedback etc etc???

Can't wait till this is fully finished and full review given :)

once its all been checked/setup etc yeah (its bascially a NA engine at the moment)...and theres no new images/videos being put up until everythings all squared away (just to be annoying lol) then there will be a full run down.

If you's like though, give me a list of what you want to know/see and i'll do my best to provide the info. :)

Now MOT'd, passed no probs with a Janspeed Manifold & Stainless system fitted :eek: ...oh and as it was its first proper run, ive got to admit... its damn quick lol (no speed limits broken in the process of the test)...i can only imagine the fun the sc's gonna add. :D

Actually quite amused as it seemed to get some interest (not sure if good or bad) as its looking horrible at the moment, but either way :D

...the mot guy, when asked by one lad what it was replyed "a micra on steroids" lol... :) hopefully it'll match that quote, once everythings finished.

im sure its catching everyones attention for crazy / impressive reasons as it looks awesome, wide, smooth and unique mate ;)

please get some pics up!!!

Well i know at least one person took a snap shot of it, so theres bootleg images about somewhere lol... :S

to everyone whos thinking of modifying their cars engine (even if its just a exhaust system i.e. the Janspeed manifold etc)...get a lightweight flywheel, yes they arent cheap but you wont regret it...i promise :)

fair point Ivan...i will admit even at the moment (NA'd on skinny wheels) i think i could it to lightup in third if i really tried...second not a problem (though i avoid doing so cos you dont go anywhere when it does)...but then i guess you's dont really need the extra power it'll release either. :)

Just a little post to say The 14th ;)

no its not a completion date, but its another much needed item underway... :) will have some pics after then...

nah thats already sorted and fitted.. :) its even more important than that...but to avoid a guessing game lol i'll just get pics as and when its complete (cos theres nothing to show at the moment). :D

now that would be to easy / sensible... lol.

Its actually the final piece in the engine configuration...short of final mapping. :)

bit of a delayed reply :D but nope engine management already sorted...

well i was going to have some pics today (maybe even a vid) of the part in question, but it was always going to be close due to the amount of work involved...

so what i'll have by early tomorrow is...a full stainless steel custom exhaust manifold to cat front, meaning i'll now be able to install everything in the engine bay for possibly the last time! (even test the sc -- so long as i dont pipe it into the inlet)...so engine bay / performance wise it'll be pretty much done.

Well here it is, very pleased with it...but its now damn tight in the engine bay, ended up going 4-1 as theres no room to allow for the -2- lol...(no big suprise there i guess :D)

just need to sort the bay out now, and get everything final fitted :)

Attachments

• Solarice-NewManifold1.jpg
    Solarice-NewManifold1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 572
  • Solarice-NewManifold2.JPG
    Solarice-NewManifold2.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 585
Back