• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Rat

Car looks great, i'm soo tempted to buy a cube (gf dont like em tho) and that picture aint helpin..!

what happend here? looks a tidy seamless weld on the seal
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz2527.jpg
[/QUOTE]
getting comftable with the super s and takin your time with the rat?

Looks like someone had hit a roundabout in the red victim,all the suspension was damaged & a lump out of the wheel.
& the Super S has come in handy,just had no time for the red car but still been nosing around seeing what everyone else is up to...
what happend here? looks a tidy seamless weld on the seal
]
getting comftable with the super s and takin your time with the rat?[/QUOTE]

Hi! How do you painted the interior? And it's very difficult to remove the door "protecters"? Is there any hole or only glue?

The interior was prepared with a scotchpad (abrasive side of a dishwashing sponge will do) & washing up liquid to get rid of any sillicones/polishes that would make the paint react, then covered with satin black paint.
The bump strips have 2 rows of adhesive foam so no screw holes.I used petrol & a credit card to scrape off but thinners/white spirit etc. does the same job.Easy but long & boring job,I still have the passenger door to do..:wasntme:
Hi! How do you painted the interior? And it's very difficult to remove the door "protecters"? Is there any hole or only glue?

Hi all...Mini update...my blog had gone AWOL till I logged in again :eek:
The car has been sat around for ages,moved workshops twice,it's been sitting with a cover over since September & had become a dumping ground for old tyres/parts etc.Looked very sad...
Last time I used it was funny for about 10 minutes.Over fueling badly so kept cutting out,exhaust hits the body & the suspension is stupidly hard.So I changed the throttle body last night & now at least runs fine.
I robbed a Matiz of its front suspension a while ago so will get them fitted & get the car on the road again...
Looking forward to checking some blogs later...Good to be back :)

Great work! So are the bonnet and roof on your Micra, in matt or satin black, sleeper? I was thinking about doing same thing with my mate's Micra, but can't decided on a matt or satin finish. What would be easier to wash with a "standard" top coat? As I understand that you can't use any waxes on a matt finish........

Cheers guys,time goes so quickly,14 months since my last visit..As you can see by my last rubbish post I've forgotten how to post pictures,I'll work on it.Also can not edit the said post?It's all changed :eek:
Ah sussed it I think...Here we go.The scene since September.

201203293106.jpg

Picked up a few minor scratches & a scrape on rear arch which may compound out,but will then make the satin laquer shiny.The other side is still in filler,may take this oppurtunity to do the whole car in satin black.I know it's been done to death but I just like it & never liked this colour much anyway...

201203293107.jpg

Plush interior.Airbag light is flashing for some reason
201203293112.jpg

My current ride,now condemned due to tax expiring.Never driven such a smelly car,tin of cat food exploded in the hatch a few weeks ago.I've kinda grown to like its distinctive aroma but was slightly embarresed when I had to collect a potential car sale victim & his totty girlfriend up from the station..:oops:

201203303125.jpg

So now need another small easy to park works vehicle a bit urgent so I'm hoping to get the Rat in the workshop this weekend & get things moving again.Sadly not great for collecting people due to the meagre seating arrangements ;)
Hopefully have an update in less than a year this time...

Great work! So are the bonnet and roof on your Micra, in matt or satin black, sleeper? I was thinking about doing same thing with my mate's Micra, but can't decided on a matt or satin finish. What would be easier to wash with a "standard" top coat? As I understand that you can't use any waxes on a matt finish........

I used a solid satin black for those panels which is easy to clean.You can get a more matt finish by using black basecoat & covering with satin lacquer like the sides of this car but it still has a slight "glow" to it.Long time ago now but I did ask the paint supplier man if he did a lacquer that would come out like the finish on cars that have been vinyled & it was either very expensive or not available,forget now.I'll be getting some materials soon so I'll see what they can do...

I used a solid satin black for those panels which is easy to clean.You can get a more matt finish by using black basecoat & covering with satin lacquer like the sides of this car but it still has a slight "glow" to it.Long time ago now but I did ask the paint supplier man if he did a lacquer that would come out like the finish on cars that have been vinyled & it was either very expensive or not available,forget now.I'll be getting some materials soon so I'll see what they can do...

Thanks for the excellent reply, sleeper. Which one would you suggest to be easier to spray, if using "rattle cans"? (Doing the bonnet will be a nightmare, I know......) And does satin black need to be primered or lacquered?

No problem :)
If pushed I would use satin from a can as matt shows the lines more and will be very rough so the sponge will stick to it when you try to clean it.
Another option is to beg/borrow/steal a small compressor.I painted a Transit chassis cab with a compressor made to pump up tyres,it got hot and cut out plenty,I had someone spraying water on it as I painted but it did the job.Get a cheap or secondhand paint gun,I buy the cheapo jobs from Machine Mart,about £25 last time.Short bit of airline & some clips & you're away...
Probably work out the same money wise with the price of the aerosols & you'll get a much better job..
I remember seeing an attachment in the paint suppliers that fits on the top of aerosols that throws the paint out faster to avoid the "streaking" effect.I'll ask when I go there for supplies...
Also helps to lob the aerosols in a bucket of hot water before use,makes them flow better..

Thanks for the excellent reply, sleeper. Which one would you suggest to be easier to spray, if using "rattle cans"? (Doing the bonnet will be a nightmare, I know......) And does stain black need to be primered or lacquered?

Oh & no primer needed unless you have bare metal of filler to cover.And no lacquer needed or it will go glossy..

Oh & no primer needed unless you have bare metal of filler to cover.And no lacquer needed or it will go glossy..

So, you're saying if I used satin black, all I'd have to do, is prep, and spray? If there is no lacquer on the paint, won't it suffer badly from stone chips? And can you "key it" satin black with some 1200 wet and dry after you've sprayed it? (Just to take the rough patches out of it?) And would i still be able to wax the car, after I put it on?

What type of satin black should I use? I bought some of the Hammerite "canned" stuff a while back, to refurb some old VW steel wheels. It went on a treat! Would that do the job? Cheers, mate (And thanks for the tips on using cans as well)

EDIT: And would it be worth taking the bonnet off the spray it? Could I do the underneath of the bonnet as well, to add some protection? (Or would it get too hot?)

EDIT EDIT: Sorry for all the questions!!!!!!!

@templar2K5...With the depth of paint you will get with cans you'll get chips even if you used lacquer as well,and that's provided you can get cans of satin lacquer.
And that's part of the fun using satin or matt,it's got to be gun finish.If you touch it with any wet and dry paper after it's likely to scratch it up which is fine with gloss finish as you machine compound it after to make it shiny which removes the scratches.
Make sure before painting you remove ALL traces of wax as this will react causing "fish eyes" which you cannot cover & get bigger the more paint you throw at them.Good to have a hot air gun ready if you notice this happening & heat the infected area & very slowly puff the paint on drying as you go...Sometimes you can get away with painting them out.
As you say hanging the bonnet up or standing it up will prevent a lot of debris falling on the surface.You can warm the bonnet up by running the car with the hinge bolts out ready to remove quickly...& get someone with the hot air gun/sisters hairdrier warming panel as you paint from the other side if its easier.
You can do the underside too..and you can wax panel like normal paint finishes.
Sounds expensive using Hammerite & it takes 20 years to cure so if you cock it up you'll have to thin it all off,I would stick with normal cellulose aerosols.You can get said cans from automotive paint suppliers at half the price of Halfords...
Prep the panel with washing up liquid & scotch pad or worn out pan scourer & make sure all traces of wax are gone or it'll be a drama before you even get going!!
Also...I've learnt to my cost as did Martboy with his red car that all these different paints react with each other.ie.I tried putting 2k paint over aerosol on a Mondeo rear quarter & chased it up the whole panel...& ended up thinning the whole lot of & started again.Mart tried putting aerosol over an enamel based paint (like Hammerite) & it all went crinkly....
Have fun :)
ps. Thinking about it with all the drama & expense it's got to be easier just to get the bonnet vinyled...Should of thought of that before writing an essay :rolleyes:

@templar2K5...With the depth of paint you will get with cans you'll get chips even if you used lacquer as well,and that's provided you can get cans of satin lacquer.
And that's part of the fun using satin or matt,it's got to be gun finish.If you touch it with any wet and dry paper after it's likely to scratch it up which is fine with gloss finish as you machine compound it after to make it shiny which removes the scratches.
Make sure before painting you remove ALL traces of wax as this will react causing "fish eyes" which you cannot cover & get bigger the more paint you throw at them.Good to have a hot air gun ready if you notice this happening & heat the infected area & very slowly puff the paint on drying as you go...Sometimes you can get away with painting them out.
As you say hanging the bonnet up or standing it up will prevent a lot of debris falling on the surface.You can warm the bonnet up by running the car with the hinge bolts out ready to remove quickly...& get someone with the hot air gun/sisters hairdrier warming panel as you paint from the other side if its easier.
You can do the underside too..and you can wax panel like normal paint finishes.
Sounds expensive using Hammerite & it takes 20 years to cure so if you cock it up you'll have to thin it all off,I would stick with normal cellulose aerosols.You can get said cans from automotive paint suppliers at half the price of Halfords...
Prep the panel with washing up liquid & scotch pad or worn out pan scourer & make sure all traces of wax are gone or it'll be a drama before you even get going!!
Also...I've learnt to my cost as did Martboy with his red car that all these different paints react with each other.ie.I tried putting 2k paint over aerosol on a Mondeo rear quarter & chased it up the whole panel...& ended up thinning the whole lot of & started again.Mart tried putting aerosol over an enamel based paint (like Hammerite) & it all went crinkly....
Have fun :)
ps. Thinking about it with all the drama & expense it's got to be easier just to get the bonnet vinyled...Should of thought of that before writing an essay :rolleyes:

Cheers again, matey. How much would it cost to get the bonnet vinyl'd? If it's a small fortune, this will be the paint I will be using (Used it before, very good stuff)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammerite-5084778-Metal-Paint-Aerosol/dp/B0041WHCLI

And here's a link to my "handy work" so far:

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/a-new-beginning.50737/#post-515951

@templar2k5... Like the green you are planning,much better than the Nissan pearl.
I've never enquired about vinyl prices,might be worth a few phone calls.Bonnet & roof are easy panels to do I would have thought...The plastic divider on the roof gutter picks out easily...

Got a couple of jobs done outside today,fitted the clocks from the engine donor car so now showing correct engine mileage (31k Grandad miles)Then found the March auto clocks with rev counter that I altered the mileage on back then so I'll put them in some time.
Also fitted a Super S steering wheel doing away with the heavy airbag system.Big difference in weight,must get some bathroom scales!
Had to put the horn on a redundant switch from a failed lambda sensor project due to lack of steering wheel centre bit & horn assembly :eek:
We had a shuffle around in the yard so the Micra has now made it inside.Flatted the stonechip on the nearside rear quarter & sill & finished prepping the panels & door shut.Ready for primer now..
Removed the front wing to paint off the car,will help to have it out the way to swap the front legs & springs as soon as I can find the spring compressors..
Also took rear window out & had a think about the best way to make template for perspex replacement.On the other side I have done away with the rubber but it was a bad fit so I had to dodge it up with a load of seam sealer.Not happy with it so I'll replace it as soon as I get the fit right on the nearside.
I made a template for the tailgate glass at the last workshop,having a lot of trouble finding stuff after moving.The search continues...

201203313136.jpg

201203313131.jpg

201203313130.jpg

Lovely old Beemer,done 40000 miles.Had a few bits of paint
201203313127.jpg

My mates Corvette.Being fitted up after paint.

201203313134.jpg

201203313133.jpg

@templar2k5... Like the green you are planning,much better than the Nissan pearl.
I've never enquired about vinyl prices,might be worth a few phone calls.Bonnet & roof are easy panels to do I would have thought...The plastic divider on the roof gutter picks out easily...

Glad you like the color "Jedi Master" ;)

I've just had a look on Ebay, and the vinyl I found, is coming out at £15 a metre! Looks like I'll be using the Hammerite route, after all! Just wondering how to get a good finish on the roof? Stand on a step ladder, I suppose? And was it worth my putting primer on top of a green top coat, if I'm spraying the car another green, anyway? (Including that it will be laquered as well........)

@templar2k5...£15 a metre what a liberty.Try some local vinyl fitting companies.I would not use the Hammerite on the car but your call...
No you don't need to primer the car,only where there is repairs or bare metal.Wet flat the panels with soapy water & fine wet and dry.The green underneath will be a good base & save you paint.
Get a little compressor from somewhere,have a practice.You'll save a lot of money & get a better job!!

@templar2k5...£15 a metre what a liberty.Try some local vinyl fitting companies.I would not use the Hammerite on the car but your call...
No you don't need to primer the car,only where there is repairs or bare metal.Wet flat the panels with soapy water & fine wet and dry.The green underneath will be a good base & save you paint.
Get a little compressor from somewhere,have a practice.You'll save a lot of money & get a better job!!

I'll tell my mate, to stop buying the cans of primer, then! So as long as I get the all laqcuer off, job's a 'un, right?

Did not go as planned today but found other stuff to do...Found the spring compressors,but I've only got Matiz front legs.Must have sold the rears so no suspension alterations but I have removed both wings & bumper.Going to scrap the white car tomorrow now the tax is out so I'll salvage the legs from that & butcher the springs.Got to be more comfortable than the cut spax on there at the moment.
Was also planning to get the rear quarter in primer but sneaky yard paint bloke has robbed my filler,thinners,primer & most of the masking tape.So I got stuck into the plastic windows.Cut both fronts & made a paper template then copied to plasterboard.Ideal material for fine adjustments.. Need more perspex sheets now.Off to raid neighbours greenhouse as soon as they go to bed :eek: Had to keep the noise down anyway,was after 7 when I finished..Noise abatement bloke from previous yard was bad,he's got nothing on the old bag next door to us now :mad:
Also tidied out the clutter that had accumulated inside the car,getting ready to paint it all black & get rid of the nasty reddy pink.

201204013140.jpg

The weapon of choice for the perspex.I hate cutting this stuff,you end up melting your way through it.Much faster than a jigsaw.Sanded all the edges with some course paper...

201204013141.jpg

We have lightweight front windows.Passenger side is held up with a piece of wood after the sad demise of most of the inner door & regulator assembly.I might add a shorter piece of wood as added comfort to any passengers requiring air.If they could suffer the heat I could lose the rubber the window slides into,seam sealer it in and lose a few kilograms.Rubber is heavy...
I have the plastic clips that glue to the window to attach it to the regulator lurking somewhere for the drivers side.Must be able to shave a few lumps of that side despite it having opening window...

201204013142.jpg

Template 1.

201204013145.jpg

Template 2. I now have Mercury grey fingernails.Nice
201204013146.jpg

Plasterboard window.Kia bloke would be proud.
201204013148.jpg

My mates new Caddy truck.Was trying to coax him to paint it a lary colour.Keep you posted
201204013139.jpg

Took this K11 1996 3 dr 1.0 Vibe in part ex a while ago,I used it as a runabout in standard form for a while & kinda got attached to it then started fiddling..
16sbest.jpg

As it arrived after a wash.
bumpstripsremoved.jpg

Running on standard Super S alloys in satin black with 185 60 13's.The 16"s in top picture are being restored,painted & need 2 tyres.Should be back on soon..

86093.jpg

Stripped out the interior & finished in black.Battery & cut-out switch fitted to rear.
batteryrear.jpg

Far too much red,bring on the darkness.
interiorstrip.jpg

Induction kit fitted kindly donated & adapted from a poorly Pug 206.De-catted the Micra too.Still using the standard back box,got to sort this soon as the wasp noise which was funny at first is now driving me mad.
inductionjustfitted.jpg

86095.jpg
Took this K11 1996 3 dr 1.0 Vibe in part ex a while ago,I used it as a runabout in standard form for a while & kinda got attached to it then started fiddling..
16sbest.jpg
[/IMG]

As it arrived after a wash.
bumpstripsremoved.jpg

Running on standard Super S alloys in satin black with 185 60 13's.The 16"s in top picture are being restored,painted & need 2 tyres.Should be back on soon..

86093.jpg

Stripped out the interior & finished in black.Battery & cut-out switch fitted to rear.
batteryrear.jpg

Far too much red,bring on the darkness.
interiorstrip.jpg

Induction kit fitted kindly donated & adapted from a poorly Pug 206.De-catted the Micra too.Still using the standard back box,got to sort this soon as the wasp noise which was funny at first is now driving me mad.
inductionjustfitted.jpg

86095.jpg

@templar2k5..You only need to knock the shine off the lacquer,not remove it all :)

A great help. as usual, Sleeper. Now, just how am I going to spray the roof, without standing on the bonnet?! :D

EDIT: As you're a goldmine of info Sleeper, what's the best thing to use to remove the glue that's leftover from taking the rubbing strips off a K11?

nice one setting the nail trend :) ,opening driver side window gets the air flying around to the passenger side quicker than passenger side windhole.
whats this every thursday croydon meet about ?

@templar2k5...Take the wheels off & sit it on bricks to get the jack out,or let the air out of the tyres.No loose clothing & stand on the door shuts..
Petrol is what I use..slap it on with a paint brush to soak it off attacking with a credit card or filler spreader as you go removing the foam to get to the nasty glue :)
Went on a materials run today & found this on their shelf ...

201204023150.jpg

201204023149.jpg

Found it,the paint I used on the roof & bonnet.Need more,bonnet had bird poo left on there that has eaten in & some muppet put a wheel & tyre on top of the protective cover that has left a print :(

201204023152.jpg

nice one setting the nail trend :) ,opening driver side window gets the air flying around to the passenger side quicker than passenger side windhole.
whats this every thursday croydon meet about ?

Alright Reg,just a bit worried in case any passengers feel the need to throw up what with the horrible ride quality,speed humps & noise.Just about to dump a stinking Micra,don't want this ending up the same :) Mind you by the time they fanny around with the assorted lengths of wood & manage to slide the plastic down it would probably be too late anyway :eek:
Yeah there is a meet in Croydon.We did all threaten to hook up a couple of years ago didn't we..See what we can do aye?

Did a late one & finally managed to prime the nearside(3 years later)I've been thinking about putting a racing tank behind the drivers seat so I could do away with the petrol tank & filler assembly & weld a plate in the hole but that will have to wait for another day.(Another 3 years)Big tank tempts me to cart too much fuel around...
Did a few repairs on the rear bumper,more yard damage :( So the preparation is nearly done.This week I want to get the interior & under the bonnet blacked out before I finish the shell..
Long weekend ahead innit...

201204023153.jpg

201204033154.jpg

Tired...Was naughty & got involved in some primer flatting when I eventually rocked into work...which put me under pressure work wise for the rest of the day.Did what I had to do,then finished flatting,prepped tailgate (Inside is dangerous job,many sharp edges.Grinder action required) Removed tailgate,passenger seat,tidied out more clutter & cleaned car/work area.
Pondered on possibilities of making a lightweight stable door type tailgate like Land Rover Freelanders have what with summer on the horizon..Not secure,but nothing in the car anyway.Have not come across the tailgate glass template yet.
Here's the progress pics,and goodnight o_O

201204043185.jpg

201204043181.jpg

201204033179.jpg

201204033178.jpg

@templar2k5...Take the wheels off & sit it on bricks to get the jack out,or let the air out of the tyres.No loose clothing & stand on the door shuts..
Petrol is what I use..slap it on with a paint brush to soak it off attacking with a credit card or filler spreader as you go removing the foam to get to the nasty glue :)
Went on a materials run today & found this on their shelf ...

201204023150.jpg

201204023149.jpg

Found it,the paint I used on the roof & bonnet.Need more,bonnet had bird poo left on there that has eaten in & some muppet put a wheel & tyre on top of the protective cover that has left a print :(

201204023152.jpg

Cheers for the quick reply, Sleeper. Is that device on top of the spray can in that picture, what you were telling me about? I think my local Poundland does them!

Got the inside painted with a mixture of blacks I had,Jaguar Anthracite & BMW Swartz no less. Left the floor which scratched up quickly last time so I'll do that in stone chip..Was still earlyish & I'm inpatient so I painted the side without cleaning the floor properly & got a few lumps which will brush off when It's dry but then the lid on the gun was not on properly so got a lovely drip on the rear post :( so was a waste of lacquer basically @ £40 a litre!
I'm going to experiment & see whether you can do the first sticky coat with cheap laquer..
Anyway I like the finish better than the satin gloss but I'll have to do the rear quarter again...
201204053187.jpg

201204053191.jpg

Back