• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

A new beginning......

Hi everyone, as you know I have been asking for assistance on here for my best-friend's 1998 K11 1.3 16V Micra (which was my Mum's, who passed away in January R.I.P. :()

Some of you may also know, that my Sister took an exception to my mate having the car, so she "keyed" it! The first "port-of-call" is to sort the damage out, then start fixing the various small problems the car has.

Here's some pictures:

My Sister's "handy-work" :mad:

IMG_20120303_131306.jpg

The car today before the bodywork was started (Ignore my mate's Son in the car!):

IMG_20120328_133634.jpg

The prepping is done on the RHS wing:

IMG_20120328_151400.jpg

Now with primer (A few "high-spots" - please feel free to offer advice)

IMG_20120328_160452.jpg

The LHS wing completed (This one came out better than the first one!):

IMG_20120328_173108.jpg

What I'm going to do now, is try and find a "flat" green that almost matches the Apple Green (JT0) paint that was on the car when it was new, so it will be easier to spray with cans - although the roof and bonnet are being done in black (Can't decide on matte or gloss, though)

Things to do:
Remove mudflaps (All removed)
Remove "rubbing strips" and clean off all residue
Spray interior to match new paint job
Finish paint job.
Spray all the badges/grille in black (DONE!)
Tint rear lights/side repeaters
Locate rattle at idle (Loose exhaust cowling/heat shield?) (Removed, but there's still rattling!)
Fit new front brake discs and pads (Hard job? - Discs and pads have been bought) (DONE)
Fit new brake lines
Fit NSF CV gaiter (Again, hard job?)
Find some alloy wheels (Hopefully to use with the four new 165/60/14 tyres that are on the car already - any donations are welcome!)

I'm having a bit of a problem finding a "non-metallic" green to use on the Micra, to replace the Apple Green (JT0) that is on there, now. I have bought some Meadow Green paint (Peugeot color) but I think it's a bit "off" I have been looking at Signal Green (an old Ford colour - very 70s!) as well Here's some pictures of the various colors:

The original "Apple Green"

7640befcnissan-micra-automatic-002-jpg.jpg

Meadow Green:

116740622.jpg

Signal Green:

123455.jpg

So, what do you guys (and girls!) think? Which one is the nearest match? Cheers : )

EDIT: After looking at those pictures, I'd say I've bought the wrong paint! Signal Green's closer, right?

After a lot of digging, I have found some info about the "Meadow Green" paint I have bought to respray the Micra in. It turns out, that it's an old Talbot color (Used in 1977-1978 on various models - Avenger, Alpine and Sunbeam) I've found some pictures of what I think is the correct color (Still not sure, though)

ChryslerAvenger13GLrear.jpg

The original color:

IMG_20120328_133634.jpg

The color sprayed on some cardboard:

IMG_20120331_105436.jpg

So, do you think this is a good match? (Can you imagine this color on a Micra, with a satin black roof and bonnet, with black badges and alloys - mental!)

I'm sure you can get custom rattle cans to match a proper paint code? Good progress by the way :).

I'm sure you can get custom rattle cans to match a proper paint code? Good progress by the way :).

Sadly, it would cost too much to get the color custom made. It's also a pearlescent/metallic so it would be nigh-on impossible to match up............

Well, we've had a productive day, today. Me and my mate have managed to; Remove the RHS rear badge glue:

RearBadgeRemoved.jpg

Flatten both wings down for the top coat (Sadly, didn't manage to get any spraying done, as the weather was shocking)

RHSWingReadyForPaint.jpg

Painted grille:

GrillePainted.jpg

And then fitted it (Sorry for the missing nut, Brother - insiders joke!)

GrilleOnCar.jpg

I even painted the metal "studs" that hold the rear windows in black. as they had no paint left on them, and I didn't want them to rust (a small job, but made me happy!)

We've also removed the top heat shield from the exhaust, as we thought this would stop the annoying buzzing from the car on idle, but it seems to be coming from the centre of the exhaust now. Back to the drawing board, methinks...........

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/vibrating-exhaust-heat-cover.50561/

They look awesome, would love to see how they look against the apple green. Good work

Well, if you look at the grille that I have painted black in the same paint, a bit further up the page, you will see. Cheers for the kudos : )

EDIT: The paint that I used to do the grille and badges is this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hycote-Bumper-Vinyl-Paint-Black/dp/B005NGZYJI

I just washed everything in soapy water, then "keyed" the surfaces in the soapy water with 1000 grit wet and dry, then popped the paint on. Job done!

Well, if you look at the grille that I have painted black in the same paint, a bit further up the page, you will see. Cheers for the kudos : )

EDIT: The paint that I used to do the grille and badges is this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hycote-Bumper-Vinyl-Paint-Black/dp/B005NGZYJI

I just washed everything in soapy water, then "keyed" the surfaces in the soapy water with 1000 grit wet and dry, then popped the paint on. Job done!

Excellent. Any pics of the badges on the car? In my head it looks awesome lol.

Oops. I knew I should have gone for Ford "Signal Green" It looks like a better match in this picture.......

3.jpg

RearBadgeRemoved.jpg

Or should I stay with Talbot "Meadow Green" for the respray?

ChryslerAvenger13GLrear.jpg

Yeah, we're going to be using cans for the respray (Unless someone has a gun and compressor we could borrow? ;))

What area do you live in? I have a mini compressor & a gun you could use.If you're miles away ring round some hire shops,you may be surprised how cheap for a couple of days use.not sure if they hire guns out but worth an ask.If not el cheapo gravityy fed gun from Machine Mart..

I'm in Cambridge, mate. How much would the paint cost, if we used your setup? (And thank you so much for even offering, I'm a bit choked - Mum must be smiling down on me, as I've managed to find you helpful lot!)

Not a problem,happy to help.I know the frustration when you're trying to get on with a project...
From my latest receipt...
1 litre basecoat £30 (Same for solid colours)
Half litre hardener £9
5 litre standard thinners £11
If you use base & clear you'll obviously need 5 litres of lacquer too,price wise it'll probably work out the same.
All plus the robbery VAT sadly :(
Also rubber airline & fittings- machine mart
After paint...1500 wet/dry paper & compound

Keeping the car a similar colour will keep the cost down as you will not have to blind out the original colour as much and you may get away without doing the door/boot shuts.
The job is going to come to a few quid but you'll be no worse off by the time you buy 100 aerosols & you'll have some depth of paint that you can flat & polish without burning through & having to paint again buying more aerosols.
I was looking through some catalogs in the suppliers,mini compressors that you can get by with were under £100 so on E Bay I expect less than £50 ditto gravity fed paint gun.Added benefit you can paint more stuff after Micra project..
Not expecting you to do this with your car but you can spray cars using gloss paint and petrol as the thinners :)
Or have a drive to south London,how far is that anyway?

Not a problem,happy to help.I know the frustration when you're trying to get on with a project...
From my latest receipt...
1 litre basecoat £30 (Same for solid colours)
Half litre hardener £9
5 litre standard thinners £11
If you use base & clear you'll obviously need 5 litres of lacquer too,price wise it'll probably work out the same.
All plus the robbery VAT sadly :(
Also rubber airline & fittings- machine mart
After paint...1500 wet/dry paper & compound

Keeping the car a similar colour will keep the cost down as you will not have to blind out the original colour as much and you may get away without doing the door/boot shuts.
The job is going to come to a few quid but you'll be no worse off by the time you buy 100 aerosols & you'll have some depth of paint that you can flat & polish without burning through & having to paint again buying more aerosols.
I was looking through some catalogs in the suppliers,mini compressors that you can get by with were under £100 so on E Bay I expect less than £50 ditto gravity fed paint gun.Added benefit you can paint more stuff after Micra project..
Not expecting you to do this with your car but you can spray cars using gloss paint and petrol as the thinners :)
Or have a drive to south London,how far is that anyway?

Cheers again, mate. So, if I drive the car to you, You'll paint it for me? (Only joking ;))

Right, here's the progress for today:

First one's for SuluR (As he asked for the black badge to be "snapped")

IMG_20120417_170019.jpg

And we've managed to get a wing done! (Sorry for the bad picture)

IMG_20120417_170042.jpg

And there's now another rattle coming from the timing chain. Does this mean the tensioner gone? (It's like the chain is slack?)

Cheers : )

Hmm, rattle when starting? Or continuous?

Got a video or recording?

I have rattle issues and want to see if it's similar to yours

The rattle is at idle/low revs, mostly. I'll try and get a video of it ASAP, so we can compare.

P.S. What do you think of the new colour, mate?

Signal Green:

123455.jpg

quote]
Bit late to say now but I like the signal green! Also, just a thought but if you,re painting the bonnet and roof black, then the black badge and grilles you've done aren't going to be seen are they? Maybe you could spray them the same green as the body work... that's be pretty awesome...

@ odd_ball: We had thought that the grille and badge won't be seen, so we're going to re-do them in green (Cheers for the input)

@ sleeper_ss: Glad you like the colour, mate. We're going to be doing a satin black bonnet and roof. Now, if we could just sort out the mechanical problems, so the car doesn't die before we finish it, we'll be ok!

@ odd_ball: We had thought that the grille and badge won't be seen, so we're going to re-do them in green (Cheers for the input)

@ sleeper_ss: Glad you like the colour, mate. We're going to be doing a satin black bonnet and roof. Now, if we could just sort out the mechanical problems, so the car doesn't die before we finish it, we'll be ok!
It's coming along nicely though, making some good progress mate! Can't wait to see how this looks finished! Terrible shame what your sister did, especially to something that obviouslt meant somethingto you, but it's kinda nice that something good is gonna come from it!

I know this little green hornet is gonna look amazing when it's finished, can't wait to see the black bonnet/green grilles... gonna be epic and one of a kind!

Hope you're making good progress anyway fella, keep us updated!...

It's coming along nicely though, making some good progress mate! Can't wait to see how this looks finished! Terrible shame what your sister did, especially to something that obviouslt meant somethingto you, but it's kinda nice that something good is gonna come from it!

I know this little green hornet is gonna look amazing when it's finished, can't wait to see the black bonnet/green grilles... gonna be epic and one of a kind!

Hope you're making good progress anyway fella, keep us updated!...

Thanks OB. I'm feeling a little low about losing Mum today, so your kind comments have been most timely in picking me up a bit. Cheers : )

Sorry to hear you're feeling down Templar and so sorry for lateness of reply only I can't get on-line everyday. I can only imagine how hard it must be for you at these times, especially when faced with trying to do justice to your mother's vehicle which was so brainlessly defaced, she must be on your mind a lot at these times. It's easy to say I know but I'm sure that during these down times she would want you to remember happier times, rather than feel down at her loss and the damage to the car. I'm sure she's watching over you and proud that your turning what was a senselessly damaged car into something new and unique. Use happy memories and thoughts of her while your working on the car, think about how happy she would be at all the skills you're using and learning, all the hard work you're putting into this project, and how you're giving that car a new lease of life... In this way all those positive thoughts and memories will inspire and work themselves into the car and in that way, you're mum's memory can live on in the car as well as in you!

Hope you're feeling better buddy!?

Thanks for the "pep-talk" OB (It means a lot to me that you would take the time to write that) I hope Mum will be proud of what we're trying to do with her car. After all, she's the one who taught me all I know about car bodywork repairs! (She was ace with a spray can!)

Lookin good! Have to say I'm liking the colour more now then when it first went on! Can't wait to see the progress!

Good to have you back mate, thought we'd lost you!...

Lookin good! Have to say I'm liking the colour more now then when it first went on! Can't wait to see the progress!

Good to have you back mate, thought we'd lost you!...

And it's nice to be back! On the car front, what does everyone think to "blacking-up" the steel wheels that are currently on the car? (As we have found out that the spare has a good tyre on it, and will be a cheap way of swapping out the kerbed NS front wheel - which can be seen in the newer photos)

I will be using the same Hammerite paint that is going to be used on the roof and bonnet. Should look pretty tricky (And it's cheap too!)

The steels will look ace with a couple of fresh coats of black on them! Mine came up great, really makes all the difference and so easy to do provided you give them a good clean before hand, no need to strip/prime...

For extra win factor, have you considered spraying the outer rim the same green as the body work? Really gives it that extra something y'know? Check mine out:
DSC_1215.jpg

A nice new shiney set of wheel nuts really cap it off...
DSC_1222.jpg

The steels will look ace with a couple of fresh coats of black on them! Mine came up great, really makes all the difference and so easy to do provided you give them a good clean before hand, no need to strip/prime...

For extra win factor, have you considered spraying the outer rim the same green as the body work? Really gives it that extra something y'know? Check mine out:
DSC_1215.jpg

A nice new shiney set of wheel nuts really cap it off...

Even painted the wheel weight ;)

Thanks! It's only a little change but one that makes a big change imo...

Thanks again to everyone for their input (And especially to odd_ball)

As the weather is turning nasty, I don't know how much of the car we can finish this year, but I'll try and get the wheels and bonnet done next week : )

EDIT: odd-ball, what paint did you use to spray the black part of your wheels? Was it Hammerite metal paint, by any chance? Thanks : )

Thanks again to everyone for their input (And especially to odd_ball)

As the weather is turning nasty, I don't know how much of the car we can finish this year, but I'll try and get the wheels and bonnet done next week : )

EDIT: odd-ball, what paint did you use to spray the black part of your wheels? Was it Hammerite metal paint, by any chance? Thanks : )

No problem mate, anything I can do to help! No, not Hammerite, it was from my local motor factors a brand called Simoniz, which I think is by Holts?

To be fair though, I think from what other people have said you'll get a good effect from whatever you use really, so can always buy from Halfords/Wilkinson's... or if you already have the Hammerite use that. I was gonna buy from Wilko's but the stuff I used was cheaper and bigger cans too...

I didn't bother to prime them, just gave them a good wash and a light scrub with a scouring pad and some very fine wire wool to get the rust off, then another wash then masked them off. Couple of coats of gloss black, couple of coats of blue, then a couple of coats of clear lacquer... Did it all in a day, 2 wheels at a time... took one off, replaced with spare, took another one off and left on jack... not best practice but it worked... then same again the other side...

I'm sure you're a dab hand at painting by now so can't wait to see how yours come out!

Right, I've had another go at the Micra today, and managed to paint two wheels, a brake drum, lacquer the badges (after spraying them black) and remove both rear mud flaps (As they were on the advisory sheet from the last MOT) Here's some pics:

Painted wheels first:

NSWheelsPainted.jpg

NS brake drum:

NSBrakeDrumPainted.jpg

I hope that painting it with Hammerite paint is OK? (#worried)

The badges after lacquering:

BadgesLaqcuered.jpg

Now, the next picture might not help much, but I found a lovely hole in the bottom of the NS wheel arch, as I was spraying the brake drum:

ItsaHole.jpg

Ah bugger, I think I got in the way! Any ideas on how to treat it? Also, I've swapped one of the front wheels, for the spare (As the NS front wheel had a kerbing dent in it) When my mate drove the car off to turn it round, the tyre was making a squeaking noise. Is that just due to the tyre sitting in the boot for a long time (so the rubber has gone "shiny") or has the rubber gone "off"?

Cheers people : )

Back