• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

My Micra Dot Rising To The Top! :)

right my gaskets came today (big wow your thinking)

tada
DSC00032.jpg

right with the inlet gasket, there is a raised bit, around the ports, and then flat on the other side... any ideas which way round its ment to be?

raised side....
DSC00035.jpg

flat side
DSC00036.jpg

righto guys not much progess recently still working towards fitting engine....

stuff still to do....
clean engine
make copper ht leads
refit engine
make sure i have everything etc
fit it all

then time for some more modding me thinks :)

so any ideas about the gasket will be amazing, thanks guys

i see didnt think about that! isnt 3 a bit much frank? or does your engine run a bit toasty?

also on the tb gasket there is like a curve taken out the side to go to a hole in the tb which is fine but the opening in the gasket doesnt open the whole hole on the tb shall i cut it away?

it just keeps the intake temps down a bit will, and the cut-out is only for the idle control valve to breathe through and is plenty big enough :grinning:

also im after a power source for my boot release kit, i want it to work only while the key is turned in any position like the radio... but im hoping for something better like within the ignition?

as some of you may have read in pollyp's blog im getting rediculous fuel economy and its getting worse, i tried the old soldering job on the tb but hasnt made a difference made it drive better but hasnt helped my mpg which is a right kick in the bum!, so im not sure what else to check i know theres all the sensors etc but im not sure what im looking for.... might run the obd tomorrow to see my outputs.... as long as it holds out till my engine change which will then renew all the sensors almost

if you can smell petrol out the exhaust
it could be the coolant temp sensor
smelt silentos and it didnt smell of any petrol

Yo Will
I've about the same mileage as you: 400KM with a full tank in my 1.0L ; about 10L / 100KM; I (and my father) are only doing 5 to 10 minutes city driving round trip each day (work the week, and supermarket the weekend). I think it's normal. But when I do very rare longer highway trips, it's more 600KM or more with a tank, a bout 6 or 7L for 100KM.
Cheers
Seb

humm been trying to make my copper core ht leads to no vail it doesnt seem to work very well! its very hard to strip the old ones to the get required components.... and ended up with more cuts than successes!!!!!

lol might go back to drawing board unless anyone has any ideaS?

right in the hunt for my very juicy car i tried to run the OBD at college but didnt have the correct connector doh.... so i decided to run the emissions test which revealed this...

the following image is what auto data says for the car not sure how clear but here goes

1296052722996.jpg

then here are the results from the emissions tester

engine RPM: 668
%vol CO: 0.184
ppm HC: 531
lambda: 1.117
air-fuel ratio: 16.426
%vol co2: 13.50
%vol o2: 1.97
temp: 23 (probe not in the dip stick hole)

so as you can see the hc readings are around 450 above what they are should be! this is very bad so could be over fueling... i told my tutor about the gaped plugs and he told me to put the gap back so i set it to 1.1mm as autodata said so here are the new results

engine RPM: 630
%vol CO: 0.148
ppm HC: 487
lambda: 1.092
air-fuel ratio: 16.056
%vol co2: 13.80
%vol o2: 1.61
temp: 23 (probe not in the dip stick hole)

so they are the new results a bit better after setting the gap but now there still very high... my tutor said to put original air box and new plugs in.... but i feel thats its not only not burning the fuel its possibly over fueling...

any ideas please people i hope it will improve with new engine etc but i cannot afford the amount of fuel its using untill then

according to those readings its running lean will (lambda 1.1 and a/f 16:1) not rich fwn
and i doubt if an idle test will tell you a fat lot

right enough of my failing engine and i am going to concentrate on the new one at hand... as long as this engine can take me to college and brighton and margate before i swap it im happy its served its purpose....

went out tonight and done some cleaning of the gearbox with my gunk and its added secret ingrediant tehe.....

didnt quite finish but heres some half way piccies

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

and heres a couple of afters notice a big difference inside :D

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

DSC00105.jpg

does the prongs for te clutch and the centre bit of which the release bearing sit is it copper grease or high temp as haynes ses high temp.... but i found remains of copper there

and i wish you all good night!

DSC00108.jpg

(in some teletubbies weird way)

when i come off throttle it sits high for a few seconds ast about 1300rpm then its drops slowly down to the 650rpm...... but if you check my blog youll see the gas readings

that sounds like an airleak problem will (gasket ? or vacuum pipe?)

If the release bearing has a plastic bearing housing then it needs no grease, if its a metal housing then use either the red grease usually supplied with a new clutch or a little copper grease, the only gripe with using copper grease is it goes hard after time and can cause the bearing to stick a little, but saying that i have never had a problem with this..and i have fitted hundreds of clutches..!

that sounds like an airleak problem will (gasket ? or vacuum pipe?)

well all ive done to it is remove tb to solder but the problem was there before asnd the exhaust mani but that wasnt too bad i doubt that would cause these problems im getting.... and the breather for the cam cover is kinked a bit but shouldnt make a difference and the other one everyone says they leave loose, ive never really fiddled with it that much to make anything loose.... unless its something from when i went to change engine not done up or something but i am very unsure of what as ive checked it all over....

If the release bearing has a plastic bearing housing then it needs no grease, if its a metal housing then use either the red grease usually supplied with a new clutch or a little copper grease, the only gripe with using copper grease is it goes hard after time and can cause the bearing to stick a little, but saying that i have never had a problem with this..and i have fitted hundreds of clutches..!

its metal housed and i got no grease with it so is it okay to use a bit of high temp grease on the ineer of the bearing and then on the ear bits.... do you over the bearing in grease or not?

righto done some more bits today and made myself ill in the process finished doing the gear box cleaned to my satisfacton.... oil seals all in release bearing fitted and greased and the drain plug fitted tightened and sealed with silicone sealant.

heres the grease i used...

DSC00144.jpg

then here is the release bearing fitted correectly i hope as then you turn the level is comes off but im guessing it wont do that when its fitted ootherwise it a tad design fault haha

closed
DSC00142.jpg

open
DSC00143.jpg

i am pleased it is done and im hoping it all works smoothly and well otherwise all that work for nothing... now i moved onto the engine! covered up all the ports with gaffa tape and them bits of rags inside just to stop any like seapage or whatever covered the dizzy but didnt go too well but i will get the heat gun on it and prop it to try and dry it up... here is the engine before :D suprising how easy it is to lift alone!

1296399021194.jpg

1296399009002.jpg

then here are some afters came up well with 2 goes with the pressure washer and a tone of my mix of gunk then now i shall have to go done some more fiddly bits to make it cleaner and remove the biggest areas of grease etc! pain in the bum getting the paint off after martin went mad with the black lol!

DSC00137.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

then aftrer just to protect it from any sort of rust like the flywheel have it a very good helping of wd40 all over and called it a day!!!

the amazing bit is my missus actually helped me

also confirmation on the release bearing will be greatly appreciated on its orientation!

well all hope is not lost and i highly doubt the fan base maybe when i put my future plans into place people might take me more seriously but i feel like im on my own withone noone to help me haha as ive never done anything like this before its all new to me

yeah some good news really! martin said to go round his on saturday 29th with everything and then he's going to swap his sunday with somone at work :D

so yes i am very please as talking to my boss didnt work

yes indeed he is glad im back on track! and go get a fire extinguisher as i said it wouldnt happen as my boss is a c**t paerdon my word use

whats the best position for the clutch cabel with a new clutch and cabel? is it a case of fiddle untill the pedal feels right?

yes indeed he is glad im back on track! and go get a fire extinguisher as i said it wouldnt happen as my boss is a c**t paerdon my word use

whats the best position for the clutch cabel with a new clutch and cabel? is it a case of fiddle untill the pedal feels right?
I think i remember something in the haynes?

i prefer the bite point fairly low, and if i can just about unhook the cable off the lever without slackening it off, then it spot-on for me :grinning:

had a little time today so i applied my window stickers however one did come without a . between the org and uk :down:

so i t-cutted and used white spirit to remove all dirt etc!

drivers
DSC001452.jpg

passenger
DSC00146.jpg

then i thought humm more time so i thought where to put the bigger one and i didnt want the wiper to hit it etc so i didnt want to do the rear window but it had to stay on the boot so i thought about the boot bit above the number plate

DSC00148.jpg

but from where i had colour coded it it was a bit ripply as it has been painted and put on in a bit of a rush.... so i flatted with 1500 paper a t-cutted and it came out very well :D then i white spirited and applied

DSC00149.jpg

DSC00150.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

well my slow puncher which i kept full of air gave up on me yesterday! so i took it to be repaired and today they said it needs a new tire which im not getting as i was getting a new set anyway when i refurb wheels :D

so atm im running a single steelie and have my new set of toyo's on order should be here in the week then to sum up the money money to get refurb but for the mean whhile im a bit stuck lol just a quick update suprised noone saw my window stickers haha

Engine time soon buddy, ha ha I get to pop your 1.3 cherry ;) (no I'm not gay I have fiancé and children!)

Will can you make sure your bumper can come off easily bid, less time flicking around with getting the other engine out the better

Also made a little list of things you need mate

Engine oil 10w40
Gearbox oil 3L
Coolant
Oil filter
Fuel filter
Bosch super four 4s

Also leave your tank empty as you have to have shell optimum ;)

Just thought it might be worth you doing a service whilst everythings there

Hope your ready big man, it's gonna be a busy one :)

Oh and bring a camera too :)(Y)

Also can you put the frankspeed and the inlet Mani back on please mate with the new gaskets please as it's alot easier whilst it's out the car rather then in

Also what downpipe are we using? Do you still have the nuts or do yours come out?

He needs to go faster and it makes a big difference and since he's going for as much bhp as pos every little helps

Also what time you jumping on the 23 bro? May have a convoy on the way down if we time it right matey ;)

im not sure about the 23 mate im leaving like half 10ish (pending on missus)

and dude i already have all service parts all the belts are one masnifolds are going on in the next few days all i need to buy is coolant and and engine oil... i got a new dizzy cap too might even stretch to some plugs haha my super 4s have nackered themselves due to my poor spacings as i was going to use them.... i might get a new 1st cat while im at it as id use yours but im going for the sportex system soon so ill need that cat and my current one the bolts are pooped haha.....

just to say mate ill be leaving mine about 6 to get to yours on the sat morning and get there about 8 or whatever so i miss the traffic :D

also ill leave the grill at home and maybe make the lights quick release with cabel ties or sommin

Back