• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Chapter 2... Micra Dot Rising To The Top

Or I just get one big washer, make a few splices in it and bend them down so it will clamp on to the rubber on the mount... But then it will be hollow between the bearing up to the bolt, do not sure if that's a good idea

there,s supposed to be an alloy impact pad underneath surely ?

picture419x.jpg

here was mine thats the top of it, and it impacts with that rubber (without that the spring cup will punch though the top !)

SDC12859.JPG

here was mine thats the top of it, and it impacts with that rubber (without that the spring cup will punch though the top !)

View attachment 27528
That rubber attached to your top mount is the rubber locater I was on about.
Seeing it like makes it easier to understand what you mean :)
One of those would definitely be an idea
Mine has the thrust bearing on the top mount directly as its a perfect fit :) so its setup just like the oe micra shock
That's effect I'd be after on these

i guess he could actually use the top spring cup instead, as long as it is suspended about 5mm below the rubber when assembled (he would have a lot of thread sticking out the top tho !)
the bearing fits down into the rubber (that way up in the pic) then the alloy bit goes on next (turned over in the pic) :)

i guess he could actually use the top spring cup instead, as long as it is suspended about 5mm below the rubber when assembled (he would have a lot of thread sticking out the top tho !)
the bearing fits down into the rubber (that way up in the pic) then the alloy bit goes on next (turned over in the pic) :)
I have aeound 15mm poking outthe top of mine
Problem being on the smaller shaft neck before the main shaft

Just been to b&q and I'm gona try this method, got the spring cup with the built in beating sitting on the spring, the bearing sits on a shoulder on the shaft.. Then got the top mount on top of that, got 10 big washers to fill the gap to stop any side to side movement, 1 big thick square washer to sit on top of it all which then the nut will clamp it all down :)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Just realised that that big washer probably won't go through the hole at the top on the car, so il probably have to put that washer and nut on after it's all in?

i haven't tightened the bolts up yet as il probably need to do that once the struts in the car, but the rubber buffer is sitting on the spring cup, its basically sitting around the bearing..

i just noticed that your top mount is slightly different to what i got
SDC12859.JPG

The one i got hasn't got that shoulder to close the gap, mines just the whole width right through

the thrust bearing has to be fitted over the shaft with the small hole at the top, and the spring has to be pushing upwards onto the bottom of that thrust bearing, else you will get heavy steering.
and the bump face under the rubber surround has to have about 5mm clearance, so that it only makes contact when hitting a pothole

praps try it luca :) but if the square washer makes contact with the rubber buffer when you lower tha car down, you will have very heavy steering

Do you have a pic of this 5 mm air gap ? Not quite sure what you mean by it , do you mean when fully tightened there should be about 5mm free play in the mount (up and down)? Or that the mount rubbers shouldn't touch the spring cup with a 5mm gap?

i don't have that bit below where the gap is meant to be.. i just have the top mount and the spring cap... so when i put them together the mount just sits over the bearing, so the weight of the car will be pressing the rubbers onto the spring cap... so the only other way i can see is to make the top mount sit onto that large washer, which then will sit on the bearing.. so the weight of the car will be on the bearing..

Allows it to spin freely, but a big shock could punch through, the plate means that after the first 5mm the plate takes the force and saves the rest of it

WRONG INFO,,,,,,,,,,,,,once their on your stuck with them for a little while:)

but yeh try before you buy

How will I be stuck with them? Il still have the ones I got now as spares intact :).
How freely should the top mount turn when fully assembled and loaded with spring tension? Also roughly how much thread have you all got showing for your set ups? As a base to start off with :)

Back