Top Gear!

Robb

Site Supporter
I know this has been covered, but does it not just irritate you how the show has become silly (very entertaining yes) but in a way which just ruins the challenges and dumbs everything down?

I am refering in particular to the Avantime they tried to make faster than an Evo X. I know its nerdy but they could have done such a cool job of it and still made it just as fun! but instead they farted around with excessive brake dilemmas and such. :glare: They didnt even mention the exhaust that magically appeared halfway through the challenge!

Considering the brilliant episode with the Le Mans BMW challenge i was left feeling a little deflated, especially when they came to the conclusion you couldnt do anything with a modding budget of 9K! :suspect:

Rant over lol.

Makrakin08

Ex. Club Member
They failed the challenge and said they continued to do it after hours so you wouldnt have seen them puttin the other stuff on it but yea i think they should have just nos'd it instead of £3000 brakes etc

micra_tom

MICRA FTW!
I know exactly what you mean! i thought to myself with a 9k budget surley they could get it closer to the evos time...i mean 3k just on BREAKS? wtf? and they didnt say you couldnt do an engine swap? lol...i dont know, like you said, after watching the brit car lemans episode, i do think they could of done better...

still good viewing though lol

micra_tom

MICRA FTW!
Same here, jsut the kind of genius you expect from jezza lool..i think they should do it again, but seriously this time...with a k11 maybe? lol
I mean i saw a clip the other day of an old top gear where clarkson moddified a rover, and vicky butler-hendison (if thats her name) done the Nova?
Something like that would be goooood!

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
It was amusing to watch, but as modders we would have done it differently. The general public probably wouldn't know any different. You know most of that was done out of pure entertainment though, like the wheels not fitting over the brakes etc.

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
I laughed at their efforts but couldnt understand why they didnt just put a newer/bigger engine in and turbo it! The do the brakes/suspension after that.

I agree that the exhaust suddenly appeared,but as Makrakin said they were gonna continue it after hours

Rob..

Ex. Club Member
To be fair theres alot you can do with a 9k budget, in terms of bolt on kits, im sure if they picked a lighter and smaller car that is commonly modded they could find allsorts of bits going cheap for it.

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
But i think thats why they chose the Avantime to make it more of a challenge to do it. Rather than having something more common as parts are more accessable for it.

Rob..

Ex. Club Member
Oh yeah i know it was a challenge, i'm just making the point that it can be done with a 9k budget when they made out modding cars isn't all it's cracked up to be. lol

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
I thought it was amazing, the increase they got off the ijectors, manifold and filterchange. They did well considering the car they were working with was so heavy, to get within 10 seconds of an evo.
If you want a serious car show look elsewhere, personally I prefer the entertainment as I know all the serious stuff already

OP
OP
Robb

Robb

Site Supporter
Same here, jsut the kind of genius you expect from jezza lool..i think they should do it again, but seriously this time...with a k11 maybe? lol
I mean i saw a clip the other day of an old top gear where clarkson moddified a rover, and vicky butler-hendison (if thats her name) done the Nova?
Something like that would be goooood!

That was an awesome Rover!

solarice

Ex. Club Member
personally id have ignored the brake upgrade and the wheels, and used that money for engine work...plus bought the correct tyres to start with, again saving money :D

Those things alone would have greatly improved the end result.

However i also agree that they included the "oh ######" moments to make it more entertaining.

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
i actually thought that renualt avantime looked awsome! did anyone notice the sence after they put the bucket seats in the stig was running it around the track and the seats changed to standard back to buckets agian :S

richj

Deactivated Account
lol yeah i noticed that too. I felt a little let down by their lack of effort. As said before, they could have made an interesting program.

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
it annoyed me when they said modifying isnt what its cracked up to be, it makes it slower.... ok so a standard fiat 500 is faster than a abarth version fwn

how can they say that? i mean the new brakes on that avantime must be heavy! and the prorace wheels where bigger thus making it abit slower over standard? they only thing they did to make it go faster was a service and strip the rear out and put some lighter seats in... if they had justs stripped it and serviced it and put some lighter seats in it wouldve been faster over the first run!

i dont think they did a fair test tbh.

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
How was it unfair? It showed that there are things you can do to make a car faster (lighter, amazing suspension, headwork etc) and things that slow it down (silly wing, big wheels, overkill brakes).

The conclusion that it as pointless to spend money was wrong, but it was decent entertainment nonetheless - did you see how flat that thing cornered???