• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

My Micra Dot Rising To The Top! :)

yeah there is a plastic bearing there all in one piece and still moves nicely!

one thing i noticed though is the original top spring cup doent sit square on top of the corsa top section! if that makes sense?

Well i had a read through and got lost and didnt help! But maybe its the metal too soft and no lube! Ill see how it goes though for now! And the top mount nut has come kinda loose! I was hoping for a straight swap! Lol

The micra top spring mount ill shave it right down to a small cup! I can replace the tube bit but its damaged the larger alloy block! Does the sleve need to be a tight fit at all?

Well i had a read through and got lost and didnt help! But maybe its the metal too soft and no lube! Ill see how it goes though for now! And the top mount nut has come kinda loose! I was hoping for a straight swap! Lol

The micra top spring mount ill shave it right down to a small cup! I can replace the tube bit but its damaged the larger alloy block! Does the sleve need to be a tight fit at all?

that bush is just a spacer will, and should,nt come into contact with anything fwn
the nut, the bush, the washer embedded in the rubber mount, and shaft should all 4 be solidly fixed together, and the only movement should be in the thrust washer

I didnt get a look at that if im honest but it didnt look too bad! But how on earth do you tighten the top nut though! Theres no room!

I mean the metal sleve which i pictured! The bit thats worn away! However that top nut had come loose i noticed!

yeh the bush/spacer/sleeve, if your shaft is actually turning when you turn the steering there is something definitely wrong :eek:

dunno z, thats breast implant stuff innit ? :eek:

come now you'l get will exited
one things for sure the grease is very very slippy allowing smooth movement like a swiss watch :grinning:
but well i put teflon crap in mine works ok but would like the slimey stuff back again

i used copper slick as stated!

however when i turn the wheel the nut doesnt turn and all you can just see the lot move as in the bush is doing its job!

but it honestly looks like it was loose and been bashing up the sleeve!

so the sleeve isnt ment to come in contact with the corsa spring top like it has? which could be a result of the nut being loose?

is the sleeve ment to be longer too? ill get more pics on wednesday when i get a chance to pull it apart again and ill inspect the other side too!

and zed once the socket on on the top nut with a ratchet theres no acces for an allen key!

i used copper slick as stated!

however when i turn the wheel the nut doesnt turn and all you can just see the lot move as in the bush is doing its job!

but it honestly looks like it was loose and been bashing up the sleeve!

so the sleeve isnt ment to come in contact with the corsa spring top like it has? which could be a result of the nut being loose?

is the sleeve ment to be longer too? ill get more pics on wednesday when i get a chance to pull it apart again and ill inspect the other side too!

and zed once the socket on on the top nut with a ratchet theres no acces for an allen key!

mate :grinning: dont grease anything that aint sposed to be,,,like my palm
the socket has got to be held with them their good old moley grippers , so tighten using allen key only

ah true i didnt think of that! i wedged in a screw driver! i think stock is the best for me!

nothing ever works out argh!

what if i can machine up the sleve and corsa spring top as one?

yeh mate on the nippy thread its got all that info so all is center'd and not touching any where
screwdriver? :laugh:
once alls done its totally silent over bumps like mine and the others

well must have been the top nut then ffs! where did you get the tubing from to make the new sleve? im going to have to bash this off on wednesday morning!

an ill try get hold of some m12 nylocs on the top nut to make it stronger when doing it back up! and ill also adjust the micra spring top to allow it to sit flat

well if you think bout it over tightening that nut may stop the bearing working ?
and others have done away with the old micra top spring seat, and machin'd the corsa top sring seat to let the bearing sit their instead all nice straight and true

true but i dont have time to do that faff id rather just mod the micra spring cup to suit better! but if it comes to it ill mod the corsa one...

as i asked whered you get the pipe for the sleve?

true but i dont have time to do that faff id rather just mod the micra spring cup to suit better! but if it comes to it ill mod the corsa one...

as i asked whered you get the pipe for the sleve?

you are the top nut:laugh:
i would get that piece from any where i possibly could,cut 2 sizes for when your up or down

got my steering rack done today... took a while but i got there... took my time and alot of swearing and annoyance but it was all off eventually and didnt have to drop the zorst off or drop the gearbox down!

holding the track rod end while undoing the nut
1317046407950.jpg

the other side was shot and wouldnt undo so i simply chopped nut and end of the rod off! simples

car in the garage just enough room down the sides to walk along and work along the sides! so thats all good at the end of the day!
1317054600146.jpg

with room for the generator and tools etc down the back

and last but not least the old rack
1317052564543.jpg

i managed to get it out relatively easily with fiddling it about and removing the drivers track rod end completely and dropping the suspension down the the drivers side and it slid right out! (Y)

and the new one went in fine too with brand new track rod ends

although it still needs to be tracked but i done the best i can by eye! and that slight knock is still there when wiggling the wheel while not moving so maybe the universal joint at the bottom of the steering collum is worn out? as this noise has been there since i got the car... suspension noise is still there too which is really baffling! but ill check that out more on wednesday an ill get a new bit of pipe measured out correctly...

also raise the car 10mm or so just because the wheel is still rubbing on the arch slightly while flying round corners!

and the new rack feels nice and firm so the car doesnt jitter about anymore

corsa spring top not round anymore, doesnt fit well on the thicker tube
1317205718110.jpg

all clean and everything removed... lets start building it up
1317205788622.jpg

alloy sleve... there were two parts but i removed the shorter one to show the thread more
1317205851263.jpg

corsa spring top fitted
1317205867967.jpg

micra spring top fitted
1317205915765.jpg

thrust bearing fitted all smooth and works fine
1317205955443.jpg

top mount on
1317205981997.jpg

all the correct order

again showing the drivers side isnt round either
1317206449063.jpg

alloy sleve even more worn than the other side
1317209759902.jpg

metal filings all around the bottom of the spring
1317209770954.jpg

to do up the top mount now there was more thread showing i had to adjust a socket which requiered these
1317214840430.jpg

1317218233940.jpg

then the chopped, socket done by my dremel
1317216015116.jpg

drove to b&q to get fresh alloy tube for new sleves
and it still made the same noises and bangs...
new tube cut and fitted
1317216556495.jpg

went to do the drivers side and found the thread has split meaning i cant undo it again as it wont hold the allen key
1317217972441.jpg

basically plan is to get martins coilovers and fit them with the corsa top mounts...

still got the banging from the steering... must be the UJ between the collum and rack....

and i went to a garage about my tracking and they cant do it cos of the lows because the machiene wont hang over the wheels

deffinate rethink needed here imo, there,s something not right about assembling the topmounts like that eh will :eek: its obviously chafing the bush (metal against metal) due to the flexing of the rubber mount fwn

well i think these were the most used coilovers here using the original method... so maybe over time its a fail etc....

and that was copper grease from the other day!

deffinate rethink needed here imo, there,s something not right about assembling the topmounts like that eh will :eek: its obviously chafing the bush (metal against metal) due to the flexing of the rubber mount fwn

turning the coilie spring seat upside down then adding the thin helper spring seat under that keeps all my stuff center'd for now any way
the micra top spring seat isnt straight -for this set up = problem,, cutting it down how mark said would centre things up, or what others have done away with it, machining the corsa top spring seat for the bearing,,,,,,,,that might help will'

but i cant get to that stuff easily.... im just gnna slot the bolt holes and use the corsa top mounts

hope its not too much hassle though

turning the coilie spring seat upside down then adding the thin helper spring seat under that keeps all my stuff center'd for now any way
the micra top spring seat isnt straight -for this set up = problem,, cutting it down how mark said would centre things up, or what others have done away with it, machining the corsa top spring seat for the bearing,,,,,,,,that might help will'

no z, thats not the problem, the problem is that the 2 top cups are fixed/imovable, but the shaft and bush are flexing up and down inside the rubber bush (you go and bounce on your wing and watch the shaft move up and down inside the rubber :eek:)
its ok for it to flex when you use the corsa mount because the whole assembly flexes together (thus no metal to metal chafing)

your top corsa seat is difrent to mine look
DSC02418.jpg

it allow'd me to turn the cone shape down, then it aint touching the sleeve/shock part where they meet = no more snowing on coilies:laugh: stop'd my clanging to

Back