• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Andy_S Micra SR20 - Done Properly

Adjustable dampening is an advantage. But can be a major disadvantage/borderline dangerous if incorrectly adjusted.

What I've learnt about coilovers over the years is they're all equally useful on track but selling them as "track" coilovers allows them to charge more :)

Well demon tweeks are enquiring about the spring rate and other things as I told them about the car having the almera gti engine in it so that extra weight needs to be taken into consideration.

I'm pretty sure a big company like demon tweeks know what they are doing because I don't lol. It will all be fitted by a mechanic.

That's good of em to look into it. Aye you'll need the extra strength in those springs. If not the roundabout cost for a standard 2 1/4 coilover spring is £20 if not :)

I'm hoping AVO know what they're doing... because demon tweeks don't :p

For what it's worth ive only ever had good end results on the cars ive fitted Avo coilovers too :)

The other options were buy shockers separate and springs. However I bet it wouldn't do much difference

Apparently they said they are very popular for the rally cars j1000 championships etc.
Does not surprise me whatsoever :) they make good coilovers
Simple corner weighting and possibly different rated springs for the front and you'll be well on your way

Got a call from demon tweeks and they put me onto avo themselves and I told them my situation with the engine weight and they have recommended higher poundage springs so I'm getting 300 LB rated springs to hopefully counter the extra weight of the engine.

Should be here in about 10 days however they won't be fitted till everything is in and ready to go back on the road! :)

I'm waiting for the cams to arrive with them so I can fit them before engine gets painted and goes in.

Got a call from demon tweeks and they put me onto avo themselves and I told them my situation with the engine weight and they have recommended higher poundage springs so I'm getting 300 LB rated springs to hopefully counter the extra weight of the engine.
Sounds like you've got it sussed :)
300lb was a surprising figure though to me I was expecting a tad more. Difference of opinion eh :)
I wish you well with the build

Well I asked avo about the next size 350ib and they said that that would be a hard spring and that it could cause more problems than good with under steering issues. So wouldn't recommend it. Apparently the micra setups for rallying on Tarmac/gravel is 250ib springs on those coilovers.

Well I asked avo about the next size 350ib and they said that that would be a hard spring and that it could cause more problems than good with under steering issues. So wouldn't recommend it. Apparently the micra setups for rallying on Tarmac/gravel is 250ib springs on those coilovers.
250 for Gravel/tarmac I can understand but that'll be with the lighter cg engine...
However you set it you'll get understeer because of the engine weight.. that's something that won't change
I'd be inclined to use a slightly stiffer spring and run less compression on the shocks?

You're not the only one having to grapple with spring rates Andy. I am lost in this too and will probably end up taking several steps back before making any forward on this next setup, especially since we have a huge ARBs, (Nismo front and Whiteline rear).

Been reading up on things a lot and my brain hurts right now lol ;)

It's alright lol! I know minimum about suspension. I'm learning from you guys and also what avo tell me.

The avo coilovers have adjustable dampeners whatever that means lol

Shame I can't adjust camber though! Although I've seen "camber" bolts for sale on eBay from eibach I believe.

You can adjust camber on front easy, just slacken hub bolts off, push in at top and put at bottom, retighten.

It's alright lol! I know minimum about suspension. I'm learning from you guys and also what avo tell me.

The avo coilovers have adjustable dampeners whatever that means lol
At least us ranting on is educational :p

Adjustable damper if its one way adjustable is 99 times out of 100 the rebound setting.
Compression in a damper has the aid of the spring... rebound has to fight the extension of a spring... adjusting this in general will affect how you exit a corner.
Too little you'll understeer and Too much you'll understeer and oversteer.. its a very fine line and one many choose to leave be :)

I'll stop waffling now :p

Oversteer is better isn't it? I'm sure I won't be drifting the rear end lol
In a rear or 4 wheel drive car where its controllable yes. A fwd car can't control the back. They tend to self correct and snap back into place themselves but its never fun
Oversteer in conjunction with understeer is very lary and hard to control

In a rear or 4 wheel drive car where its controllable yes. A fwd car can't control the back. They tend to self correct and snap back into place themselves but its never fun
I found the oversteer on my car VERY controllable It's the understeer you need to watch put for!

I found the oversteer on my car VERY controllable It's the understeer you need to watch put for!
Lift off oversteer I take it? Totally different story

Understeer is alot more controllable than oversteer hence why every production car is built to understeer as its safer.. to stop undetsteer... let off the throttle.
Oversteer Is throttle control and steering angle... something not every driver can or wants to deal with

Indeed. Cams will be fitted once rocker cover painted and ready to go back on. Suspension will be last thing to be put on.

unanynej.jpg

Found this in my room from when I had my first micra. A artist drew my car for me :)

eqy9asym.jpg

Before

3a8ahemu.jpg

Half done grinded off the lettering and give it a polish. Hopefully have it done in a few weeks (spending about 2 hours per week on it) the colour scheme of the rocker will be green with polished metal on top and black were spark plugs area is. Pics to follow.

uzutatu3.jpg

Rocker cover primer'd in grey and we sanded down the top to a smooth stainless finish. Need to g3 polish it to make it shine!

On another note what do we reckon? Yellow indicator surround or tint?
jy3u7eny.jpg

swap motor polarity :) ?
With the blades angled like that you'll be WAY down on efficiency, as the air will be slowing down as it passes over the blades. To the point it's probably doing more harm than good as its gunna give very little cooling when stationary and is blocking radiator area at speed.

With the blades angled like that you'll be WAY down on efficiency, as the air will be slowing down as it passes over the blades. To the point it's probably doing more harm than good as its gunna give very little cooling when stationary and is blocking radiator area at speed.

Not sure I understand.
The blade angle of attack is standard no? All thats been done is the fan switched to the other side of the rad.

Looks to me that he has used standard fan but put it the wrong way round and therefore making the motor spin the other way would solve the problem?

Last edited:
Not sure I understand.
The blade angle of attack is standard no? All thats been done is the fan switched to the other side of the rad.

Looks to me that he has used standard fan but put it the wrong way round and therefore making the motor spin the other way would solve the problem?
Look at how the blades are curved. The curve is there to increase efficiency in the correct direction of rotation, but this reduces efficiency in the opposite direction. For it to work as efficiently either way it would have to have flat blades.

Look at how the blades are curved. The curve is there to increase efficiency in the correct direction of rotation, but this reduces efficiency in the opposite direction. For it to work as efficiently either way it would have to have flat blades.
gotcha! :)
didnt notice that

gotcha! :)
didnt notice that
That said, running backwards slows the air as it passes over, so it has a higher hydraulic efficiency (good for displacing incompressible fluids). Sadly, air is elastic so the pneumatic efficiency is more important eh :)

Back