Stupidist things you've done on your micra..??

cisco

» CMF Member
Be honest and tell us what the silliest most embarrassing things were that you have done on your car that you thought at the time that it was cool or the best thing to do.

I'll start:

You know that big side plate on the gearbox that has about 8 bolts holding it on? The first time I changed my gearbox oil, I removed all 8 bolts and the entire plate to use it as an oil filler hole. This plate thing I think is like a cap for the back side of a main bearing, so its servicable etc. But there's not much room to poke anything through, so a fair bit of oil spilt out, and I thought I was doing the right thing using the "filler hole". To make matters worse, I had bought a $99 gear oil pump to specially pump my gearbox oil up into this bearing plate access hole.

Ridiculous! Now I have a $1 piece of clear plastic tube and I know to syphon it into the real gearbox filler hole and it takes 2 seconds!

Allright, own up..

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Was being followed by my mates GTI Corolla from work,and pulled up next to some new ugly 4wd,when the light went green i gunned it to merge in front of him and got beaten,was very pissed,so now i saving up for turbo/parts

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
"Maybe get tailgated by a landcruiser up a mountain range?"

yeh, thats was funny :D

unlike the slow landrovers i seem to always encounter.

stoopidest thing i have done is try to adjust my new cd player on the hwy at 100km/h two weeks after i bought the car, drifted off the highway, slammed the brakes in panic and almost croosed over to the other side and t-bone some other cars.

oh no, thats not it. Leaving out the sheet metal dust plate between the gearbox and engine, and having to remove gearbox and refit it twice for one clutch change, haha. good ole gearbox stories,

Alex

Attachments

• 14572.jpg
    14572.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 34

cisco

» CMF Member
These are getting pretty good.

* I have been in car modifier's rage panicking about rego inspections and because of a simple outburst, I have jacked the car up completely and re-installed the whiteline and koni suspension. Then figure out the next day that my coil overs can be engineered and pass, so the very next day, pull all the whiteline gear out again and re-install the coil overs. MAJOR waste of time!

* Somehow let Jake's Performance have my car for a full 12 months - looking back I don't know how I could have let someone be that slack and keep leading me on. In future, for an engine rebuild, if 2 months had elapsed, I would go back straight in there and then and collect all the pieces and take it away without paying.

* Let an exhaust guy design and build my old exhaust manifold and dump pipe without the radiator being in the car. So then after all that work and expensive money, the radiator doesn't go back in afterwards because the exhaust parts are in the way, so now I need to hack the radiator to pieces. Bad project management!

* When I heard my gearbox ticking badly that sounded like it was on its last legs, deliberately boosted it in 2nd gear and it shattered and completely locked up and was very scary. Only lucky I was literally up on a hill right above my mate's place and could simply roll down with enough momentum and park out the front of his place and had a bbq there that night! I was also in Newcastle and now needed a new gearbox. So towed the car to my parent's place. Got a lift with another Newcastle mate back to Sydney where he was luckily going. Then borrowed a Sydney mate's car and drove it to Canberra. Then dropped that car back up to Sydney the next weekend and followed it in the white micra and drove back to Canberra - made another bbq/party of that Sydney visit also. Wah!

* Cancelled my registration based on advice from the government shop front. Then went back to renew it 6 months later being told I have to go over the pits for a full inspection which meant undoing lots of mods and getting another $$$ engineer's certficiate.

* Accidentally kicked a spanner that I needed underneath the car while I had my hands busily holding things in the engine bay, but I needed that spanner. Walked out half dazed trying to find it and accidentally walked into the driver's side mirror not knowing what it was and belted it out of the way realising it was the mirror and then the glass panel smashed all over the floor. Had a shocker. Now I need that glass panel in the mirror to pass rego.

Hmm I'm thinking of more..

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
"Was being followed by my mates GTI Corolla from work,and pulled up next to some new ugly 4wd,when the light went green i gunned it to merge in front of him and got beaten,was very pissed,so now i saving up for turbo/parts"

I've had that happen TWICE now. I'm getting ever so slightly sick of it. :p

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
I think Alex's should have been during the Canberra meet...

Around the roundabout coming back from the snow..

You know what I mean!

The stupidest thing I ever did to my old Micra was suspensionise it, brake upsize it, stereoise it and turbocharge it then sell it...

Sean

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I think i speak for the forum when I say that Sell was the silliest thing you did.

Everything else is just normal car stuff which wastes one's money.

Attachments

• 14597.gif
    14597.gif
    50.4 KB · Views: 35

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
"Hey Tom your post message is the same as mine?
Don't tell me it happened to oyu as well?"

Yeh I just "quoted" you. I should bother to do it in html but meh... :p

I've been put to shame by many a family sedan and 4x4. :(

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
when i finished working underneath the car inside the dark garage one night with a garage lamp, jacked it up, moved the axle stand away to one side but totally forgot to notice in the dark garage that the stand was actually right under the door sill.

slowly lowered the car, noticed a creaking sound and thought it was just the chassis being unstressed off the jack.

stood back and almost pissed as i found the axle stand halfway into the door sill :eek:oo so stupid of me

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
did full service on the car twice. once forgot to put the oil drain plug back in and spilt 3 ltr of oil on the driveway before i saw it. LOL

second time all good put the drain plug back in and all was sweet. Lowered the car back down and hear this loud crack. Look underneath and oh **** i forgot to pull the oil pan out. Again oil all over the driveway.

Oh and changing cv joints. Pull the joint out.... Oh crap forgot to drain the gear oil first LOL.... oil everywhere.

CMF_Pietervdb88

» CMF Member
Bought a $15 window washer squirter kit, bolted it onto the power steering holes, and ran the hoses to the nozzles fixed in my mudguard pointed at the tyres. The reservoir was full of a strong mix of detergent and water... ;) ran off a switch on the dash... Did wicked skiddies, if your so inclined. Hahaha. One of a few stupid yet epic stories of the micra, lol

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Changed a CV while the gearbox was full too... my father was not happy with me.

removed an old stereo and being lazy I decided to cut the entice wiring harness with my cable cutters before disconnecting the battery.. then replacing blown fuses while the battery and old harness were still connected blowing a few more fuses.

drove on cheap $30 tyres that hav zero braking once they lock up an rear ending a ute first then a few months after I repaired it a 4wd. And after the 4wd rear end driving at 70km/h with a bonnet I had to stand on to latch down... which came open at 70km/h in busy traffic.

Back