germank11's micra-project

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Hey folks!

Just want to start to tell you from my little micra-project. Perhaps someone has some advices, or is just in the mood to talk about.

A few weeks ago i searched this community for my micra, and someone recommended me to contact matthew humphris. 2 weeks and very much nice emails later, here we go, my "new" engine arrived yesterday.

The Spec's:

-1275cc
-Nismo pistons
-lighten and balanced bottom end
-helix paddle type centre plate and uprated pressure plate
-Peter vaughen head and cams
-Nismo head gasket
-4Branch manifold and maniflow exhaustsystem
-Nismo engine mountings
-competition radiator and competition hoses
-group a air intake

It was used in a group A micra. As far as i know it comes out at 7400rpm with 118bhp.

These are the parts which arrived yesterday.

I have also ordered at rallynuts the whiteline panhard-rod and spitfire ignition leads.

The plans for the next two months (when the money is available):
-BuddyClub P1 Racing QF 15x7 4,6kg
-Nankang 185/45/15 tires
-D2-Racing coilovers
-D2-Racing brake kit (this one because it is easier to pass the german "Tüv" in comparison with nissan "xyz" brakes like gti or something)
-selfmade shortshifter
-rear strut brace

What i have done yet:
-lightened the car (spare wheel, back seats)
-racing seatbelt "schroth"
-selfmade exhaust system
-35mm lowering with H&R springs and koni dampers "yellow"
-front strut brace and lower sturtbrace "Wiechers"

My base of operations is a Micra Super S build 1995, black, 1.3. I try to keep it black/blue. Mostly black, but blue valvecover, ignition leads, brake kit, hoses and seatbelt.

I try to fit my selfmade exhaust system to the 4branch manifold, cause there will be a problem to run the maniflow system in germany, it will be too loud, no catalystic converter, no papers for the german "Tüv" etc. So i will try to fit my system with a 200cpsi cat.
In fact of that, i think the rear exhaust could be sold to someone, anyone interested?
One question, any ideas to keep the exhaust system as much quite as possible? Because with the manifold the first cat will be removed, and the second cat will be a highflow cat, and i think the system is getting too loud... advices? I have tought about welding some sheet into the tubes to reduce the sound.

I have found this one, a silencer of a gun...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...waffe_mit_Schalldaempfer_Heckler_und_Koch.png

The problem will be the backlog (i think it is the right word), i'm trying to keep the system highflow... but quite..

Also the actual suspension setup will be needless when the coilovers are build in, again, if someone is interested, please talk to me!

The first work will be to change the engine. Probably this will be done in the time from 18.12.08 until 12.01.09.
I will try to record every step, and post some picture in this thread!

So far, kind regards!

Christian

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
christian

it sounds very impressive, bring on the pics! (especially the group A intake)
i doubt it will be too loud, but you might need some thermal wrap around that big cat, to keep it hot and pass the tuv
mine is just a cut down shifter, but these pulsar ones are cheap

frank

Attachments

• 41672.jpg
    41672.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 49

CMF_Red Menace

» CMF Member
Christian, I'm sure you're on top of the job, but for goodness' sake make sure your engine management is up to the task! Would be a shame to lean out and damage such a nice engine.

Incidentally, any photos of that rear exhaust?

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Red Menace WROTE:

"Christian, I'm sure you're on top of the job, but for goodness' sake make sure your engine management is up to the task! Would be a shame to lean out and damage such a nice engine.

Incidentally, any photos of that rear exhaust?

Hey!

It is already mapped, because the engine was in use before, so don't worry! Don't know the exact name, but it is a piggyback desk set or something, wil post the datas the next days. But i am going for a new mapping after e few modifications to be on the safe side!

I will be able to make photos the next week i hope!

@turbo-march-rollingshell, what do you mean with mad? Me english is not the best. There are no other tyres in these dimension, and i want to go for 185/45 compared with the diameter of 195/45 one's.

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
A few minutes ago i found this one in the web, i think it could be interesting for someone else:

http://www.shortec.de

I think the price is good compared to the work to do a selfmade shortshifter. I have orderd one piece a few minutes ago, when it arrives i will post some pictures.

have a nice weekend @ all!

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Hey Folks!

I have just searched a little bit the web, and finally there is a shop in germany selling gti-r brakes.
Now i am trying to get some, because they will cost just about the half of the d2-racing brake kit.
But one question, i can't find any brakepads separate from the stock one's. Do you got any shops or addresses to get some?
...forgot to ask: is there a need to change something else like mastercylinder? Or just bolt on the caliper?

regards,
christian

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
chrisrian

stock pads will be more than adequate imo, and i think everybody uses the stock master cylinder (you,ll just get a bit more pedal travel)
you might want to adjust the rear load apportioning valve tho.
and you,ll probably need some washers between the caliper and hub

frank

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Thank you frank. This weekend i will start to fit the engine. My mother is going to buy a new digi-cam, so i will be able to make some (i hope) high quality pictures! I keep you up to date!

regards!

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
fred WROTE:

(maybe I should use them more?)

Haha... perhaps you are rolling around like a grandma ;-) ? No just joking, thanks for your advices!
I will have a look for stock pads, but there are different types, original, replacmentpads... one shop offered me some ferrodo-pads, that should by nice.

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Today i started thinkig about the manifold.

The problem will be, to drive it legal, i will need a cat, and here in germany the law is ****ed up, so i think it will be problematicly with just an 200cpsi. So i got an idea, listen, perhaps someone can tell me something needful about it:

Would it be a problem to fit 2 cats to the manifold? I was thinking about the tube which connects the last part of the manifold (2 into 1).

I think like these:
If you use 1 cat (200cpsi) per 2 cylinders, you reduce the back pressure compared to the 1-cat-construction to 50% , or am i going wrong?
Cause the full exhausts must not stream against 200cpsi at one time, the half of the exhaust volume streams against 200cpsi.

I don't wanted to start a new thread, hope there might be some advices.
The reason why i start thinking is the law at one site, i have to create a exhaust-certificate together with the technical control board (tüv in germany) to drive the manifold legal, and at the other site, would i drive it "hidden", there would be to much polution cause i am driving mostly short distances and the cat won't work before he reached the right temperature( in the normal way of construction). <- i am not 100% sure about that, but many people here told me the first cat is supposed for the "cold-running-time" (excuse, i don'T know the english word).

I have added an picture, to show what i mean.

regards,
christian

Attachments

• 41840.jpg
    41840.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 33

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Damn... can't fit the engine in, this morning i woked up with a damned conjunctivitis... horrible, hope to start at the middle of the week...

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Hey folks!

Today i have started on the engine. We worked for 3 hours, tomorrow we will remove the engine, and than the things will go one. But we also have to replace some stock parts ( driveshaft-sleeve (don't know the english word) and some gums on the anti roll bar). Damn the stock-cat have been a whole piece of rust, fortunately i am going for a highflow stainless steel cat. Here are some pictures of the "new" engine, the parts, and my "flying" little micramachine.

At this point, merry christmas and have a nice festive season!

Kind regards,
Christian

Attachments

• 41962.jpg
    41962.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 45

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
...still waiting to take its first breath and spit the first fire on german ground...

Attachments

• 41963.jpg
    41963.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 39

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
The red cylinder head cover will be for sale, because i am going for a blue setup, and the second cover is on the way...

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Hohoho... *santavoice* ...just joking....

The engine includes the gearbox has been removed today. It think i will get back on the car at friday. At the moment there will be some family-days i have to be present... argh.
Total time of work till now: 7 hours. I think it is a good time, cause it is the first time for me changing an engine and i am trying to do it "safe" and don't getting into haste.
Next step will be to clean all parts, bolt the gearbox on the "new" engine, changing the cable harness, and bring it back to the engine bay.

So far... kind regards!

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Hey!

I am just back from my micra, with some questions... i hope you could help me, have a look at the picture:

On the left side the old bushing, on the right the new nismo one... Whats about the position? With the new bushings the engine will hang down 1 cm more, or am i thinking wrong?

The second question: Where do i get the chronology/order for the connectors of the injectors ? I hope you know what i mean... because every connector looks like the same, no difference... but i have to change the cable harness.

Attachments

• 41994.jpg
    41994.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 32

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
...and the last question for today, could you say me where to fit the fuel-pressure-regulator? I have marked the both srews i don't know where to fit...

Thanks a lot, i hope you can help me...

regards,
Christian

Attachments

• 41995.jpg
    41995.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 47
germank11 WROTE:

"Hey!<BR><BR>I am just back from my micra, with some questions... i hope you could help me, have a look at the picture:<BR><BR>On the left side the old bushing, on the right the new nismo one... Whats about the position? With the new bushings the engine will hang down 1 cm more, or am i thinking wrong?<BR><BR><BR>The second question: Where do i get the chronology/order for the connectors of the injectors ? I hope you know what i mean... because every connector looks like the same, no difference... but i have to change the cable harness.

their is a mark on the old rubber bush in the stock micra mount... mark where that mark is before you pull the old rubber out and align the nismo one with its mark on the stock micra mount if that makes sense.. but yes you are correct, if not installed correctly the mount won't sit the engine in the appropriate place. not really to sure what your on about with the injectors, but they do have to be wired in a certain order.. can you put up a picture of your new wiring harness? fuel reg can be mounted anywhere you want. you'll have to make your own bracket.. i'd just mount it from the fire wall.

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Ok thank you, ihave thought every connector would be different, like a key for a key hole. The stock harness is wired decent, but the "modified" one looks a little bit like me when i stick two fingers into a power point... I will take a picture tomorrow, today it's too late ( 03:12 / 3:12am in germany)

So far, thank you.

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Ok, today i have checked the bush's again, also the marks. Here is a picture, and in my opinion, there is a difference in the position. with the new bush's the engine will hang ~1cm higher. The other 2 bush's below the engine on the "brace" fits 100%.

Attachments

• 42003.jpg
    42003.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 35

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
And here is a picture of the harness, and i think it is wired in the right chrnology liek turbo has said. BUT, will there be a difference between LHD and RHD ? Because in Germany the steeringwheel is on the left side, and in UK on the right side, Just thinking about because there is a differnce at the silicone hoses from LHD to RHD.

Attachments

• 42004.jpg
    42004.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 37

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Do you have any suggestions reffering to the bush's frank? I have wrote an email to matthew, and he said he had never been in "trouble" with the nismo bush's..

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
christian

the top one should be ok, and i dont think it will hurt if the back of the g/box is 10mm lower, if the gearchange and exhaust brackets are pulling, you could turn the bush a little eh ?

frank

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
To me it looks like that the original engine mount bush has worn out and looks torn in the bit under where the bolt goes through - or is that just me? If it is torn I would expect it'd have been at the same position as the nismo one when it was new.

---dens

deNs WROTE:

"To me it looks like that the original engine mount bush has worn out and looks torn in the bit under where the bolt goes through - or is that just me? If it is torn I would expect it'd have been at the same position as the nismo one when it was new.<BR><BR>---dens

nah, its just you ;P their like that stocko.

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Once again i have a question, today i have checked the harness again, and there are some connectors left, i have marked them. Could someone tell me something about? I guess it is for temperature-sensor or something, but i am not sure.

Attachments

• 42019.jpg
    42019.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 35

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
If you could give a closeup of all the plugs in question I might be able to help - I've just gone and removed all the standard plugs off a loom and marked them for what they're for - if you can get a closer picture of them all I may be able to identify what they're for :) That is, as long as they're still the same plugs used on the original loom.

If I were to guess any of them now I'd say that #5 is AFM or something around that area - most of the connectors around that area on the car are different and can only plug into one place. I found that the coolant temp sensor plug was the same as an injector plug and was close-ish to the end of the wiring where the injectors are, but that may have either been relocated on yours or a different plug might've been used.

Sorry I can't help more than that without a closer look at it :p

---dens

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Before i removed every connector in the !whole! engine bay i have marked them with some tape and numberd them, also the harness. And the connectors on the big picture marked with numbers left... Also i don't know where to fit the brown connector on the last picture, i have had a short look to the engine, near the injectors and throttle body (that must be the area, the onnector is wired extremely short) but there is nothing it could fit in... It seems there is more to fit compared to the sock harness.

ok, had a quick squiz for you. number 5 plug is the idle control valve.. which by the look of your loom it has been cable tied off and wasn't used.. i'd be ringing up the place you got the engine/loom from and asking them whether or not to plug it in... but it isn't really needed imo. number 4 plug is for your wiper motor on the fire wall.. you would of had to unplug this to get the old loom out. wire numbers 1,2, and 3 are all unknown's... no one on this site will be able to help you with these and you need to contact the place you got it from as its some custom gear. looks like your running some kinda piggy back ecu, so it could possibly have something to do with that. as dens said the brown 3 wire is your tps and the grey 3 wire next to it is your afm if you still use one.. the injector plugs will only reach certain injectors.. start with the plug that is near the tps/afm plugs.. plug this into the first injector closest to the oil cap and work your way back along the injectors.. plugging in the next plug as you go down the loom. as for the nismo engine mounts your picture above is correct. there is a small raised mark in the cast alluminium mount.. the mark that is painted white on the nismo mount must line up with this., i know it will look like the engine will sit 10mm higher but that's just how their made i guess.. make sure you line up the other mounts correctly also.. they will have the same kind of marks (just line them up). have fun.

CMF_germank11

» CMF Member
Thank's guys! I have removed the old bush's today and installed the new one... damn work to remove the old one without special tools, but nothing is impossible. I have asked matthew via email at the same time i have asked here, hope for an answer today at midday.
Yes i am using a piggy back, it is a Dastek Unichip. I will keep you up to date, i hope for the first enginestart at monday...

so far, thanks a lot,

regards,
christian

Back