• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

1987 Be-1 restore project

wouldnt mind you converting my ST box Ed, although as it stands at the moment the auto is working class for this year, still want to get the box for the future though.

I like the BE-1 glad its sorted and hope to see it one day as ive never seen one.

Drove the Bee home this morning.

Good points:
It starts
It drives
It stops

Bad points:
Engine is rattly as hell, really loud when changed gear
Short shifter is a death trap, stuck in 3rd two or 3 times on the way home
Engine is whacking out some major heat! 8 mile journey home, popped bonnet and almost lost my eyebrows!
DID I MENTION ENGINE............IS................NOISY..........AS HELL?

And so it continues

Right, she's still rolling. Will speak to Ed later, still knocking noise from engine and keeps stalling when idling. This is after a 20/30min drive.
Short shift is ok, but might remove as I was expecting it to be like a Japspeed short shifter, smooth action etc, not forcing it into each gear.

Also, separate issue, the steering wheel is now off center by quite a few degrees, when the wheels are straight the steering wheel is pointing at top left bonnet corner.

Wind deflectors off, not in one piece :( but should be carbon fibres by the end of the month. 14" alloys are due to be collected today as well.

Check the plugs to see if they look mega lean. Knocking on a NA MA10 is INCREDIBLY RARE, to the point I have even tried to make it happen and I have never succeeded, so something must be wrong, and the only thing I can think of is very lean fuel mixture. They are incredibly simple so it shouldnt be hard to solve. Perhaps see if you can find another non ECC carb, and swap it over that may cure it completely. Do routine checks too like oil/water to see that that is all ok.

Steering should be the same. It was not necessary to remove anything relating to that? Short shifter is a complete pain I agree with that. When I moved the car for you to collect I was surprised how tight it was.

Split breather pipes mate, ordered some of Boostjunkies which should be here tomorrow, as soon as I sealed the split, Sweet.
Srted the stalling :D Still sunds a bit ropey
Photo1948.jpg

Ok that explains the idle. PLEASE do check the plugs I once killed a test MA10 engine on bike carbs that was running lean, however it still sounded fine. If yours doesn't it does need looking at.

Right, think I've found what the knocking noise was. Huge plastic connector unplugged and dangling down near the gear box. Battered to bits as it stands now but cable tied it up out of the way. Hope it was not meant to be plugged into something since the manual conversion.

Spent 30mins cable tieing up all the other loose disconneted bits and bobs to stop them rattleing around in the engine bay.

Also spent alot longer than 30mins (plus :) )changing most of the pipes over :)

34478_441269763419_564488419_5836020_578695_n.jpg

Oh and this is now on :
34478_441269778419_564488419_5836023_4000934_n.jpg

:blush::blush::blush:

Photo1998.jpg

Worked out what the knocking was, hopefully sorted now. The front radiator, the rubber stop was found in the front grill, so the radiator was knocking against the frame.

Awesome car bud! Sitting here chuckling away over the name on the Dyno printout :laugh:.

Yeah, Charly has a sense of humour, tis ok, I used my knob to rim the dor handles on his Porsche :D

Picked up a cheap set of 14"s to a, preserve the 12's for shows, b, see how multispokes look on it and c, see if 14"'s fill the arches out enough.
34039_444489818419_564488419_5918854_997307_n.jpg

Not in the greatest nick, but for £20.........cant complain ;D

Happy man, I was watching a Nissan Pao on Egay to see what market price was like.

I'll list the specs just to compare:

Nissan PAO Automatic in need of TLC

Bought 2 years ago and used for while , then the head gasket went - doh! I then went about finding a low mileage runing car (55k) with a decent service history and transplanting the 1200cc auto motor from a running car. This made it a bit nippier but still no match for a modern car on the motorways i.e fine for local journeys but don't expect it to cruise at 90 down the M3 all day! That aside the Pao has bags of charm the superlight power steering, small turing circle and panoramic view from the large windows make it a doddle to park. I am loathed to sell it but the reality is I can't spare the time nor funds to run 3 cars, a motorcycle and 2 young boys with ever increasing demands. This will be a great car for an enthisiast who has the time to spend on it. Mechanical parts are from the Mk 1 Micra and are a cheap as chips.

The following is intended to be extensive description of this car and help you make an informed decision as to whether this car is for you not. I don't want to waste my time and yours!

During my 2 year ownership its had new front gas shocks , new nearside handbrake cable, new front wishbones and 3 point rear seatbelts (the original are 2 point and no good for child seats), new cambelt and water pump (for the 1200cc engine) and finally a new tinted screen , the original cracked in the winter , courtesy of my insurance company.

It does not have the retro radio or any other radio fitted.

The aircon does not work. It will need 2 new pipe seals which I lost transferring the engines across. When I first got the car the aircon did work but again is no match for a modern car and I found myself opening the windows instead!

It is rusty? Yes around the o/s rear wheel arch and windscreen - see pics. There is evidence of welding to floor and offside sill , not a neat job and it didn't bother me when I purchased it. On the plus side, last year the MOT tester did't mention any rust issues verbally or in any advisories but COSMETICALLY it is going to need some work to the above.

Paintwork. The car has had a quick blowover a some time (as with 99% of all Paos and Figaros ) and the lacquer on the roof has peeled extensively. Did you know the bonnet and front wings are plastic by the way? They have not been resprayed and still hold the original colour.

The cambelt cover and plastic engine splash guards need re fitting . I have then but again no time to fit. Slight but very irritating screech from alternator belt on start up.

!B)rcHpgB2k~$(KGrHqF,!jUEw5!gEf)oBMOimRy4vQ~~_3.JPG

pao3.png

pao2.png

pao1.png

Well anyway, it had ove 60 viewers and finally went for "£1100" even with the rust.

Nice to know :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Not a happy bunny again, bloody car is broken again.

Gearbox has rattled on low revs since the conversion, short shifter has meant a "rough" change but today on the way back from a day out, the car was having issues finding 1st gear. And reverse. Managed to get it in gear but reverse grinded like a sod.

Well parked up, left the car for 30 mins and now it wont go into 1st at all!! Or revers. I am able to put it into 2nd but 1st is a total no go :(

Could be moving away from Micra's pretty soon

Don't give up matey, proberly something silly and you'll laugh about it once you've figured it out.

Anyway I thought you were putting a larger engine in?

Thought I would update, managed to get the car half way to Fusion before having to stop due to gear change.

Spent 40mins at the side of the road, tinkering. Adjusted the clutch cable, followed the cable back through the engine bay and there is a slot/holder for the cable which keeps it in place. Put the cable back into the slot and hey presto, not only could I change gear, the rough change has almost completely gone, so the short shifter was never the problem it was a simple case of adjusting its bite and hooking it up right.

Ed replaced brake parts, but once again some of my bought parts werent for the Be-1, type 1 and 2 micra etc etc.

Developed a fuel leak on new hoses but Ed sorted that out for me by replacing hoses with thinner ones.

Since then car has been to JDM Wembley and run fine to and from work.
40955_462840638419_564488419_6395902_7995769_n.jpg

Still having issues getting above 70mph even though it sits and 4k revs.

Not much left in the coffers for many mods etc so this will do for this month.
47721_469583723419_564488419_6552401_3736282_n.jpg

Glad to hear the gearbox isn't faulty. It looks well cool in that photo :).

Well, after weeks of trying to get a replacement radiator pipe, I now have one, it wasnt an exact match but a bit of slicing and dicing and it works a treat.
Now I'm having stalling issues, just want keep the revs up, doing my swede in now. Oh and believe I have an issue with my top mount on the os front. More bloody money!!

Talking of more money, just missed out on this, how awesome does this look!!!!
68119_10150106783248420_564488419_7385214_977010_n.jpg

From Japan Auction and it went for £140. :(

Getting to the point that I thinking of selling up. Once again I am having issues with the car starting.
HT leads are coroded so have ordered some replacement ones, if that doesnt work then deffinatly need to get rid.
Its been one thing after the other, its cost me god knows how much money now and that money should have been used for the skyline.

Getting to the point that I thinking of selling up. Once again I am having issues with the car starting.
HT leads are coroded so have ordered some replacement ones, if that doesnt work then deffinatly need to get rid.
Its been one thing after the other, its cost me god knows how much money now and that money should have been used for the skyline.

Pfffttt.... skyline :p
Hopefully you get it sorted buddy! (Y)

Car broken into about a month ago, they stole the stereo and multichanger. Not too fussed as they were cheap, but the bloody double din holder and surround will be a nightmare to source a replacement for!

Booked the car into garage last week. Turns out it had a multitude of problems from wiring, fuel lines to carb.

All now fixed, cost a pretty penny but running very well and no stalling etc. Weber carb is on and manual choke so abit more nippy too.

Alloys arrived from Japan too, cost more than expected and offset is ET45 so some spacers are needed but think they look good.
(Despite appearances there 1" bigger than the alloys on at the moment)
224268_10150236122483420_564488419_8611281_656801_n.jpg

229197_10150236122388420_564488419_8611280_7673200_n.jpg

This was looking good yesterday at Japfest, first time seeing a Be-1 in the metal and probably the first time a lot of the people there yesterday had ever seen one! Are you going to reveal your plans to the MSC? Can't wait to see it :grinning:

Not seen this build thread before, looks good though (Y). Loving the alloys and engine bay, top work :grinning:

380564_10150526299538420_564488419_10615183_23035250_n.jpg

392582_10150526298563420_564488419_10615181_1394112705_n.jpg

392046_10150526297283420_564488419_10615180_4901553_n.jpg

Had the windows tinted which I think set it off really well. Just working on the Carbon wind deflectors and the Fibreglass stereo surround then I think she will be up for sale. :(

Had the windows tinted which I think set it off really well. Just working on the Carbon wind deflectors and the Fibreglass stereo surround then I think she will be up for sale. :(

?????? fwn Don't mate, don't... you'll never find another one...

Back