• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

1987 Be-1 restore project

Sorry if this is abit too much info, but want to get as many details down as possible.

Where to start.

Well for one, this won't be a modify fest, I am looking to restore this to 101% A1 show condition. I do have an idea of some "theme" additions.

Got it home last night, some minor engine issues but hopefully read up on them after this weekend.

Home from work early so got to cleaning and giving her the once over looking for bad bits.

So here are some exterior/interior shots:

Photo0994.jpg

Photo0995.jpg

Photo0997.jpg

Photo0998.jpg

Photo1000.jpg

Photo1001.jpg

Photo1003.jpg

Photo1005.jpg

Photo1012.jpg

I was very suprised to see how clean (after some intitial dust removal) the engine was, 22years old and looks 3/4 at a push IMO.

I have to check up on Micra's as never had one before but I am hoping the engine is easy to run with.

Can someone confirm how this compares to the K10 engine? Any obvious add ins, missing bits?

Can we see something that looks like its on its way out etc etc

Photo1006.jpg

Photo1007.jpg

Photo1008.jpg

The added bonus of this version of the Be-1 is a, its a 3 speed automatic, so my cripple box is ticked. I have a gammy leg and suffer from Lupus. Oh and also its the rag top aswell so at least its good for the summer.......which has now gone :( . Nice electric sunroof:

Photo1034.jpg

Photo1036.jpg

Photo1037.jpg

And now for the dreaded bad bits, yes there are some, and to be honest I might have to delay in repairing them properly as the R34 needs some TLC too.
This is on the bottom right of the drivers door. Pretty deep.
Photo1026.jpg

This is the boot, where it has been slammed it looks like its cracked the paint allowing water in. Its worse on the inside, about 1 to 2 inches long by half an inch high.

Photo1027.jpg

Passenger drivers door frame, looks like the rubber sills are not the best build quality, allowing water to sit.

Photo1028.jpg

The interior is ok, but needs the front seats steam cleaning and have some major sun fade on the interior plastics, especially stalks.
Photo1031.jpg

Double din tape deck works fine, but a. Its a tape deck!!, b. its a tape deck , c. its a Toyota tape deck

Photo1033.jpg

The rag top has one tear in it, nothing too serious and should be able to fix to a good standard.

Photo1035.jpg

Now this is the big one for me
The bottom right light stays on, anyone still reading this far in, I'm sure its a common sense one but can you give me a clue???

Photo1038.jpg

Thats excellent. Any Idea how many of them there are in the UK?

Oh and are you sure you dont want to do this?

P1.jpg

Engine is absolutely identical to a K10 one. That lights looks like an exhaust temp warning light

Cheers Olly, that is good news.....I think. K10 parts on here seem pretty sparce compared to the 11. And anyone know why this light would kick off straight away from cold and last a 40 min journey?

thats a crackin wee Be1 you got there wouldnt mind one myself!! lucky you ;) engine is exact same a a micra k10 only the gearbox is different and if i remember correctly theres a couple of minor parts that are different with the auto's and the manuels but nothing too hard to find!

I think it's just to warn you not to park over dry grass or touch the exhaust etc. Someone else may know better though

I'd suspect the sensor is maybe bad?...especially as its on from cold.

To answer your k11 vs k10 parts query...theres just more k11's on here :) though ive got some k10 parts knocking about.

My k11 still has a tape deck (just thought youd like to know lol) :D

Dude!!!

totally uplifted by your post (A.C.E)

Ill try to comment /answer to some: (others will jump in too) theres loads of superheroes lurking on here.....

Boot and door corrosion:
patching is easy.....colour match for show standard is not so easy....neither is 'restoring' teh door and boot to guard against teh hidded (lurking) rust patches that are about to erupt...:-(

K10 engines:
These are MA09, MA10 and MA12 (930cc, 988cc & 1235cc <ish>). On K10 autos I think thay're all MA12's (1.2 litres)..SURELY (?) they are identical since teh BE-1 is an astheticly focused varient?????...PS beware the 930cc is the most bonkers....supercharged and turbocharged...lol

window seals:
yes:-( mine too ). I think teh sitting water is not from te surface seal....but is from the window-to fur seal....seeping in through capillary action and then sitting on teh INSIDE of teh door where you see it. The fur gets very brittle over the years maybe remove and clean/soften them will help with prevention.

Rag top:
Sorry I have no experience nor idea :-(

Warning light:
The 930 ST has this light for sure and may be some of teh last 1l or 1.2l models before the K11.....I also vaguely recall some specific threads on this warning light ..-> in the K10 super-turbo section IIR?...I have a hunch that it was a low cost fix compare4d with the likes of bodywork fixes!:)

Radiator top hose:
I know you didnt mention it...but yours looks KINKED fairly much!....do you know if this is an OEM hose or a closest fit?...I would swap it for an oem if its a 'closest fit'...

AN AMAIZING PROJECT MATE...

Rich

PS: a fair (?) ammount of K10 spares in my garage.. at your disposal here too :)

Rich,

Your a star mate. More than enough info to start planning.

I'm about to put my skyline into respray shop, 2-5 months (soonish) and will prob get this touched up then. Rust, I might treat it for now and seal. Nissan Pumpkin yellow is a pretty simple colour to match so not too worried about that. . Handily it came with a can of mixed paint too so will tackle the rims soon.

Noticed the hose on cleaning, thought might be causing red light. Its very flimsy and no substance to it. No idea if its aftermarket but ( ok its a mod ) might be getting some yellow hoses this week.

Hmm thought this was a 1.0........back to do some research again me thinks!

Well I am chuffed to bits, passed the MOT!

Stalled on me twice enroute, but think that its overheating(?)

Only 3 advisories:
Offside steering rack gaitor deteriorated
Slight bind o/s/r wheel
o/s/r handbrake low effort.

So my questions are, where can I get gaitor from, how to unbind the wheel and what do I need to do to the handbrake?

I will change, trim the radiator hose to see if it helps with fitting.

quick pic of the underside from up on ramp.
Photo1039.jpg

Photo1040.jpg

the sticking/low effort r/brake should be a siezed cable or linkage (just free it off)
and most steering gaitors are a universal size :)

Thanks Frank, Gary.

Found this on the Figaro sight:
D – CATALYTIC CONVERTOR - if the light remains illuminated then this indicates that unburnt fuel has passed into the cat as a result of an engine malfunction.

So I also need to know how this can be sorted and what kind of engine problem would cause it??

More googling ahead I guess. :(

Id consider tracking down the sender first, which id assume will be attached to the cat somewhere incase its developed a fault / died.

Then if its ok go into the possibility of it overfueling etc...dont suppose you know if its within emission tolerances.? (ive no idea what a normal k10 emission level should be)

Hi again mate,

I've never had a CAT on any of mine, so I cant say for sure where the CAT is normally located, but on the pics of the underside that you have posted, I cant see anything that resembles a CAT nor any wiring for a sensor...(i would have guessed that the CAT would have been in the position where the first 'fat cylinder' /'swelling' is: after the down-pipe but before the first (middle) silencer?

I wonder if the previous owner has fitted a super-budget non CAT exhaust sections (they look identical to the K10 shape sections to me......and may be the sensors that would have normally been connected, have been tucked away somewhere or maybe have been removed??

I'm not sure about this but was my first thought after seeing the pix?

Rich

<EDIT>:

If this IS the case, theres no chance or any overheated catalytic converter....lol just the chance of some questionable emissions?

is there anything under teh BE-1 passenger seat? either a small silver box of electronix (may be 8x5x2cm ish) or is there something larger or nothing at all?

Rich

Great little project you've got there, car is in excellent condition as well.

I reckon you could swap that head unit for one from a Fiesta or focus as the size looks similar.

Photo1033.jpg

Right, back from the track day with the Skyline. Awesome weekend and looking forward to organising next April's one. Passenger ride in R33 with 480bhp and 530 torque was immense.

Now to Ze Micra. Off out to play around with it, try some of the above suggestions.

is there anything under teh BE-1 passenger seat? either a small silver box of electronix (may be 8x5x2cm ish) or is there something larger or nothing at all?

Rich

Yes mate, taken some pics today, but cant upload at work, seemes to have 2 wires unplugged from it. What be it?

Need to find a Haynes manual :)

its a control box for a solenoid on on the carb to speed the idle up. It works when the lights, heater or the window de-mister is switched on.

Nice little bonus found last night, went out to see if it would run during my night shift and found this little bit of pimpage? Is this standard for them I wonder:

Photo1076.jpg

Photo1077.jpg

seemes to have 2 wires unplugged from it. What be it?

Need to find a Haynes manual :)

2 wires UN-plugged?

OK, so it sounds like we need an ECC owner and expert to step in here...

for the regular carb owners among us , we have a small silver box that "ups the idle" when a high electric load is switched in.....this has only one single connector plugged in

since yours has 2 connections unplugged you must have an ECC controler here instead of teh "idle" box

....I'm wondering about the reason why they're unplugged?

In the first instance I would contact the previous owner and ask about the history of teh unplugged connections...

may be someone with ECC experience can help here.

Sammo, cheers for the input, hope this helps:
Photo1060.jpg

Oh and as for duct taping the speakers, it's parked either at work in secure parking, or next to the 34. :)

Sammo, found this little gem on an Aussie site:
Unusual catalyctic converter positioned as part of the exhaust manifold and strange electronic carburettor
So thats probably why I can't find the cat!

Only just saw this or I would have answered ages ago.

Same control systems as a K10 1.2 ECC. The light is a cat light. Basically the sensor either failed or it over heated at some point. Cut the wires and join them. The light will go out. A new sensor is in the region of £140 or something stupid.

The box under the chair controls the idle up functions and also the ignition and fuelling - yes even though it is a carb it has an injector for establishing closed loop fuel control for emissions reasons.

:)

Ed

Most likely just after the cat on the manifold before the downpipe. It may be braided or something like that.

Just completed my first journey, 18 mile round trip and didnt miss a beat :)

Over the moon.

Working on the interior tonight/tomorrow and sort out the Cat hopefuly this sunday.

Also tape deck needs to go (Y)

Just completed my first journey, 18 mile round trip and didnt miss a beat :)

Over the moon.

Working on the interior tonight/tomorrow and sort out the Cat hopefuly this sunday.

Also tape deck needs to go (Y)

Thats So Good To Hear Am Liking This Car Loads As It Progresses So Much So That I Have Done You An HDR Style Photoshop Keep Up The Good Work:

bac0u3xy.jpg

Suppose to be taking part in the Skyline National day on Saturday, might be tempted to take this instead, cat amongst the pidgeons etc. (Y)

Thanks for the photo, that bad boy is going on my fridge :laugh:

Suppose to be taking part in the Skyline National day on Saturday, might be tempted to take this instead, cat amongst the pidgeons etc. (Y)

Thanks for the photo, that bad boy is going on my fridge :laugh:

lol excellent! looking forward to seeing progress (Y)

Car looks fantastic mate, really good to see it's getting there!
Cat among the pigeons sounds fantastic fun (Y) Don't forget to promote the MSC! Get some club stickers on that bad-boy!

Day from hell, up since 6am and the bloody skyline has been an arse all day!! It's possessed I tell you, posessed.

Anyway, the Be-1 made me smile on the way into work, engine was doing well.

Decided to take the shatnav in with me, found out why it was taking so long to get to work. My conversions from kph to mph were obviously out, when I thought I was doing 60mph I was doing 45mph!

Now getting upto 60 on the shatnav there is a nice audible beep coming from the car. Def the car no the nav. Dead on 60mph? Is this normal.

Oh and the interior respray is going well. Hood liner is also looking to be replaced before xmas now. :)

Day from hell, up since 6am and the bloody skyline has been an arse all day!! It's possessed I tell you, posessed.

Anyway, the Be-1 made me smile on the way into work, engine was doing well.

Decided to take the shatnav in with me, found out why it was taking so long to get to work. My conversions from kph to mph were obviously out, when I thought I was doing 60mph I was doing 45mph!

Now getting upto 60 on the shatnav there is a nice audible beep coming from the car. Def the car no the nav. Dead on 60mph? Is this normal.

Oh and the interior respray is going well. Hood liner is also looking to be replaced before xmas now. :)

sounds good apart from the beep :eek: and the skyline is possesed? that reminds of that living car movie now :p "the Car", well good luck looking forward to seeing things falling into place (Y)

Behind the speedo there is beep unit thing. They have them from japan. Just cut the wire. My ST had one too.

Skyline wouldnt start this morning, despite battery being in the garage on trickle flow charge for 12 hours, got it started at 7am, then down to fuel garage, then the bloody thing wouldnt turn off! Disconnected "everything" and still ticking. Managed to kink the fuel pipe to stall it.

Then would start so needed another jump. 30mins towards swindon the bloody alarm starts going off!.

So do I keep going with it going off and risk getting harrassed by every cop in Chrisingdom or pull over.

Pulled over, car would turn off, stalled it again, still with the alarm.

Disconnected battery...........still with the alarm.

Disconnected turbo timer, stereo, sub, amp, and still going off.

Decided to used wire cutters on the bloody horn.

Silence..... :)

And that was the morning out of the way.

Skyline wouldnt start this morning, despite battery being in the garage on trickle flow charge for 12 hours, got it started at 7am, then down to fuel garage, then the bloody thing wouldnt turn off! Disconnected "everything" and still ticking. Managed to kink the fuel pipe to stall it.

Then would start so needed another jump. 30mins towards swindon the bloody alarm starts going off!.

So do I keep going with it going off and risk getting harrassed by every cop in Chrisingdom or pull over.

Pulled over, car would turn off, stalled it again, still with the alarm.

Disconnected battery...........still with the alarm.

Disconnected turbo timer, stereo, sub, amp, and still going off.

Decided to used wire cutters on the bloody horn.

Silence..... :)

And that was the morning out of the way.

its sounds comical but i bet it wasnt fun it coulda been worse like rain etc. :blush:

I got a little bored this afternoon so did this:
Before
Photo1031.jpg

After
Photo1137.jpg

When I can find someone to supply "Nissan Pumpkin Yellow" in a can I will crack on with the rest of the dash. :)

Back