what did you do to your micra today ?

Well she is home :)

Very thankful to Matt Humphris for this help, he got the car running and MOTed, and tidied up a number of little things. Drove her home and i was reminded of what it is like to drive a proper compeition car, oh so much fun. Really wants to rev, though still bedding the engine in, and got at least another 100 gentle miles before i can really start using all the revs.

Lightened flywheel makes a good difference when pushing on, will find out tomorrow when i drive her to work to get more miles on the engine what it is like in traffic etc... pulling away is generally very easy in 1st but then with the 4.92 final drive 1st gear is now a very low ratio.

Only thing i would ideally sort is that the engine is running slightly rich. Matt suggests the AFM is getting ‘tired’ it looks to give ok signals when on diagnostics.

Got a fair list of jobs to do on between now and the end of the weekend, when the car needs to be ready for Rockingham stages.

Drove her in today in heavy traffic at times, and if it was my daily driver with a standard final drive ratio I would not fit a lightened flywheel. It is too much of a pain in the ar$e for daily use. But it does of course depend how much driving you do daily, if it is just a short 5 mile commute it could be liveable with, but for me doing 25-30k miles a year in my road car, i would no way do it.

snowed ,
after yesterdays wasted trip to see a fiat panda that the owner was a **** , i got really fed up as the two front wheels were slightly out of balance (15 grams each side)
and took her out in the snow , shes pretty good and fun :)
also got carboard infront of the radiator and it seems to work to keep the engine warm

Attachments

• P30-11-17_21.30.JPG
    P30-11-17_21.30.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 241
  • P30-11-17_10.36[01].JPG
    P30-11-17_10.36[01].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 213
  • P30-11-17_10.36.JPG
    P30-11-17_10.36.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 231
Well she is home :)

Very thankful to Matt Humphris for this help, he got the car running and MOTed, and tidied up a number of little things. Drove her home and i was reminded of what it is like to drive a proper compeition car, oh so much fun. Really wants to rev, though still bedding the engine in, and got at least another 100 gentle miles before i can really start using all the revs.

Lightened flywheel makes a good difference when pushing on, will find out tomorrow when i drive her to work to get more miles on the engine what it is like in traffic etc... pulling away is generally very easy in 1st but then with the 4.92 final drive 1st gear is now a very low ratio.

Only thing i would ideally sort is that the engine is running slightly rich. Matt suggests the AFM is getting ‘tired’ it looks to give ok signals when on diagnostics.

Got a fair list of jobs to do on between now and the end of the weekend, when the car needs to be ready for Rockingham stages.
I remember I did about 300 miles in one evening bedding in the new head I had...

I'll see you at Rockingham! The uni has a few cars out on the Sunday Stages, so I'm taking my micra out as well

Sent from my LG-H850 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

sorting my silver micra out for my sister, finished at 11.30 cause the n/s handbrake cable broke..... and the sport+ was been a pain,
next cv boot and a final check for its mot

so finally finished the car for my sis, the cv boot turned into replacing it as the cage inside had destroyed its self....
and the shafts i had were 1.4 and were too big so had to strip the sport+ which wasnt the easiest cause its a pain...
but its sorted and the cars next bit is its mot and we're free :)
also 3 hours of using bumblebee as a full sized sound system ;)
but tbh this is last car im doing, only cars will be mine or possibly afew friends cause now im going to try and get into a dealers garages or such and its sad but im glad , cause even know i liked the last two k11s for the amount of work, blood and pain they cause its wasnt worth it specially the sport+ that cause soo much i just want to set fire to it, only micra i want to keep is bumblebee (which i know will need a little overhaul this winter as shes looking alittle rough in a few places)
just want to get on my feet and get somewhere in life and sad as it seems hope theres a yellow k11 driving me there aswell lol
P03-12-17_14.46.JPG

Last edited:
so finally finished the car for my sis, the cv boot turned into replacing it as the cage inside had destroyed its self....
and the shafts i had were 1.4 and were too big so had to strip the sport+ which wasnt the easiest cause its a pain...
but its sorted and the cars next bit is its mot and we're free :)
also 3 hours of using bumblebee as a full sized sound system ;)
but tbh this is last car im doing, only cars will be mine or possibly afew friends cause now im going to try and get into a dealers garages or such and its sad but im glad , cause even know i liked the last two k11s for the amount of work, blood and pain they cause its wasnt worth it specially the sport+ that cause soo much i just want to set fire to it, only micra i want to keep is bumblebee (which i know will need a little overhaul this winter as shes looking alittle rough in a few places)
just want to get on my feet and get somewhere in life and sad as it seems hope theres a yellow k11 driving me there aswell lol
View attachment 56081

Prioritising?

Practice and experience becomes a life skill in itself to call timeout prioritising repairing old bangers comparing the pros and cons on balance with continuing or the advantages getting a better trouble free car and doing something more rationally rewarding and productive with one’s time? :cool:

Prioritising?

Practice and experience becomes a life skill in itself to call timeout prioritising repairing old bangers comparing the pros and cons on balance with continuing or the advantages getting a better trouble free car and doing something more rationally rewarding and productive with one’s time? :cool:
more the case im overhauling my life among other things
and doing micras up ect like i was doing is a dead end, and a pain and need to get a stable job and life tbh
and tbh i love my micra, it does want alittle bit of work, but it is to be expected due to age and how genral wear, but its out lasting most of my mates cars, even my brother in laws 2012 kia (which died) and still works almost perfect
i like to fix cars and play with them but there has to be a limit on it tho, and really the sport+ pushed it (it was a bag of sh@te) and i got 5 years of engineering and 3 year automotive level 3s under my belt aswell as 4 years of repairing car and bikes, i may aswell use it and build a future, not just a few cheap micras

more the case im overhauling my life among other things
and doing micras up ect like i was doing is a dead end, and a pain and need to get a stable job and life tbh
and tbh i love my micra, it does want alittle bit of work, but it is to be expected due to age and how genral wear, but its out lasting most of my mates cars, even my brother in laws 2012 kia (which died) and still works almost perfect
i like to fix cars and play with them but there has to be a limit on it tho, and really the sport+ pushed it (it was a bag of sh@te) and i got 5 years of engineering and 3 year automotive level 3s under my belt aswell as 4 years of repairing car and bikes, i may aswell use it and build a future, not just a few cheap micras

Efficiency

Forward thinking onwards & upwards creating value is the way to go and in the long term future you may not even remember what old bangers you had & the misallocation opportunity cost in your time & resources that could be allocated more productively elsewhere?

Good luck

Done quite a few jobs over the last few days...

- Engine & gearbox oil changes
- Fitted the sump guard, and brake cooling ducting
- Full bolt check, front engine mount was loose which would explain to movement when lifting off!
- Fitted LED light bar and corner lights, and wired these in
- Tidied up all the wiring and pipework, to prevent movement / rubbing etc...
- Cleaned up the door squares for new numbers
- New intercom battery
- Scrutineering & lights check
- Fit new FIA Spec roll cage padding near helmet area
- Bleeding of front brakes with Motul RBF660 brake fluid

Last job to be done is cleaning the air filter, and then refitting the Grp A airbox tomorrow night.

Will be at Rockingham this weekend, where spectators can see the rally.

Fitted the klarius backbox to the micra today. Its so quiet now that I can understand why the nutty neighbour would go to their window when I started the dam thing up and now its got a new silencer, the neighbours have dissapeared. Not bad though 17 years on the original exhaust. :D

well sorted the problem with unable to get the car taxed, (logbook , v62 ect problems) so now she has a 2002 micra s lol
and the past few days washed the salt and crap off the car,(its almost as dirty again lol) and dropping CVs off so i also snapped a pic when i did that with a 2017 k14, still think the k11 is better even with the 18 year difference lol
P05-12-17_15.27.JPG
P05-12-17_15.26[01].JPG
P07-12-17_16.07.JPG

Enjoyed driving my micra through snow past stuck Chelsea tractors and German financemobiles let the air out the front tyres and these things go anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whole lotta this.
Been snowing in oxford today, 3-4 inches. Didn’t stop the little Micra, just kept pulling. Excellent fun. Saw two crashed Audi’s. One an A4 one an A6... both Quattro, how embarrassing!

Bought a Micra, joined this said forum and bought service parts. Seems like a very good active forum then others I'm on. Will definitely be staying on here for a mile. Also just out of curiosity, lowest mileage Micra around these parts?

Bought a Micra, joined this said forum and bought service parts. Seems like a very good active forum then others I'm on. Will definitely be staying on here for a mile. Also just out of curiosity, lowest mileage Micra around these parts?
Welcome along.
Depends what age we're talking, my 63 plate was 12k, and my W reg is 58k!

Welcome along.
Depends what age we're talking, my 63 plate was 12k, and my W reg is 58k!

Meant K11, looking on for sale seems many are low mileage. Dont Really want to make a new thread and theres no general chat ive seen so, Any advise on prefacelift swap like all parts needed? cant find a good sheel prefacelift for sale.

so picked up a icc replica wrap around spoiler with high rise brake light fitted and hit 90k

Attachments

• P12-12-17_14.05.JPG
    P12-12-17_14.05.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 194
  • P12-12-17_21.20.JPG
    P12-12-17_21.20.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 202
  • P12-12-17_21.20.JPG
    P12-12-17_21.20.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 179
  • P12-12-17_14.05.JPG
    P12-12-17_14.05.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 180
Not technically today but last night I picked up the parts car that I had written about in my blog.
b62262d9eb2aadb19d04f703440d3d7b.jpg

We had great fun trying to get it up on the trailer, with completely locked handbrakes both sides. We got there in the end though.

Decided the car could do with more dieting, so treated the car to an FRP tailgate and a full set of Lexan windows. Matt was out of pre-facelift bonnets, so that will have to wait until the new year.

All in should be worth close to another 30kgs out of the car, so will get the dry weight down to somewhere around 670kgs. Well on track for 780kgs wet with driver :)

Decided the car could do with more dieting, so treated the car to an FRP tailgate and a full set of Lexan windows. Matt was out of pre-facelift bonnets, so that will have to wait until the new year.

All in should be worth close to another 30kgs out of the car, so will get the dry weight down to somewhere around 670kgs. Well on track for 780kgs wet with driver :)

Dam, was gunna call this week and get myself a bonnet as a present to me from me

What’s the fitment like on the tail gate?

Dam, was gunna call this week and get myself a bonnet as a present to me from me

I've not fitted it yet, only picked it up this afternoon. The fitment of the panel should be ok but the finish on the panels is a bit rough in places. There are a few areas which require some flatting back as well as a few areas which will need some P38, (mainly where the wiper arm and rear lock holes are). Basically it looks like someone just gobbed a lump of filler in there and didn't smooth it off before making the molds. Similarly you get an impression of the residue of the number plate foam, as they didn't bother to take some alcohol to the tailgate and remove it before molding it.

Despite the above, at £225 for the panel which weights 3.5kgs, it's not bad and it's nothing a bit of elbow grease won't cure. A cosmetically perfect panel would likely cost significantly more, so it's not something which bothered me.

I did have a gander at the face-lift bonnets and they were pretty nice actually, so I would imagine the pre-facelift ones would be similar and would likely require very little prep work prior to paint. I get away with a lot being that I have a white car already and these are done in a white gelcoat.

I've not fitted it yet, only picked it up this afternoon. The fitment of the panel should be ok but the finish on the panels is a bit rough in places. There are a few areas which require some flatting back as well as a few areas which will need some P38, (mainly where the wiper arm and rear lock holes are). Basically it looks like someone just gobbed a lump of filler in there and didn't smooth it off before making the molds. Similarly you get an impression of the residue of the number plate foam, as they didn't bother to take some alcohol to the tailgate and remove it before molding it.

Despite the above, at £225 for the panel which weights 3-3.5kgs, (my luggage scales are cheap), it's not bad and it's nothing a bit of elbow grease won't cure. A cosmetically perfect panel would likely cost significantly more, so it's not something which bothered me.

I did have a gander at the face-lift bonnets and they were pretty nice actually, so I would imagine the pre-facelift ones would be similar and would likely require very little prep work prior to paint. I get away with a lot being that I have a white car already and these are done in a white gelcoat.

Did you get the lexan window bonded to the tailgate too?
If so, did they do that for you?

Did you get the lexan window bonded to the tailgate too?
If so, did they do that for you?

No, I just got a bare tailgate molding. Matt only stocks the basic window kits and I wanted the windows made from Lexan Margard, so I sourced a set from Templar Performance instead.

Fitment is a bit off. So some fettling is needed to get the tailgate to sit fully square. As supplied, it sits a bit too high on the driver's hinge and too far back on the passenger side. Consequently the boot meets the car at a slight angle, so isn't exactly square to the body.

A dremel, file, some more carbide paper and a few shims should dial that out.

Again, it's somewhat down to poor panel prep, so theres an impression of the sealer around the hinge points which needs flatting back. Same with the bonded in fasteners, they're a bit off centre.

Yup, fitment was easily tweaked with a small adjustment to the passenger side hinge to bring it inwards and upwards by about 2mm in each plane.

Any final tweaking with regard to panel clearance to the bumper and lights can be done by finishing work to the panel itself :)

I thought I'd seen you before! I took part in the autotest at Debden in the Micra in October! That MG is very fast, if I recall!!
Oh cool! Yep did ok on that event, the ZR is good. It just needs a working handbrake for autotesting with. Will be getting drum rear beam fitted soon, which should solve that issue.

Oh cool! Yep did ok on that event, the ZR is good. It just needs a working handbrake for autotesting with. Will be getting drum rear beam fitted soon, which should solve that issue.
Will it was definitely sounding powerful!! Haha!! My handbrake struggles to grip, too. Scandi flick is the only answer!! Haha!!

Got her ready for Brands Stages (20th Jan), will be navving on stages this year as had a couple of years of driving with Suze (my wife) navving. Only fair to swap back.

Only had the usual post event jobs to do after Rockingham, apart from dealing with a load of road salt induced surface rust. Have put plenty of coats of paint on the under the car now.

Also done the usual, oil & filter change, full bolt check, tried (but failed) to fix the TB, so running the spare for now, a new TB is on order, bleed the front brakes, and a few other little sorting jobs. Only job left to do is the check the intercom and refit this.

Spec'd up and ordered a custom cam grind for the turbo engine to help promote better flow.

After out last dyno session and some further digging around, it became clear as to why we'd reached a limit. Although dyno's often cause controversy, they prove themselves to be a valuable diagnostic tool.

Fitted a cheap split universal CV boot yesterday. I know its a temporary fix but it seems to be holding up pretty nicely so far. My old CV boot was split completely off in one of the creases and it had been like that for at least 1500 km, but to my surprise, the joint was still full of grease with no contamination inside. Gonna do my brakes in the near future so I'm gonna check up on my new boot and maybe replace the clamps then.

Last edited:
Spec'd up and ordered a custom cam grind for the turbo engine to help promote better flow.

After out last dyno session and some further digging around, it became clear as to why we'd reached a limit. Although dyno's often cause controversy, they prove themselves to be a valuable diagnostic tool.

Cams arrived today :eek:

Wasn't expecting them that quick. Will read the spec sheet when I get home and see how close they are to what I specified...

Took my front spax psx shocks and 60mm hol springs off the parts car
55629e0f264b096860613cbe05b70ec7.jpg

They need a serious clean up, thinking of getting the spring powder coated too

did a oil service and filter replacement, which also then turned into replacing the brake pad slides on both sides, that turned into test fitting one of my 15" momo alloys but couldn't be bothered switching back so put the rest on

Cams arrived today :eek:

Wasn't expecting them that quick. Will read the spec sheet when I get home and see how close they are to what I specified...

Comparing cam grinds shows you get what you pay for when it comes to re-grinds v's cams ground from blanks. Some may raise the 'Captain Obvious' card here but the differences here are very revealing.

Based on advertised duration, (which is what a lot of people tend to go by), the new cam could be considered inferior. However, when you compare things at 1mm lift, (which is closer to what the engine will see in the real world), the difference is significant.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this new cam performs, especially now we're running a much more capable turbo.

62b9799d4a24d8ff6779a1fd7f0ac4c3.jpg

Almost done gathering/making bits for the turbo conversion. Joined Facebook and used the club page on there, not sure what I make of it tbh
Just got to make up a downpipe and it'll be getting fitted. Im welding on a v band flange adaptor to the turbo to simplify lining the downpipe up

Back