what did you do to your micra today ?

Was bored and had been watching too many car vid's on Youtube so went to Halfords, bought a tyre colour pen and did the letters on my tyres:

10.png

it looks SO NAKED without the Japanese flag decal on the filler flap :(. The new one's on the way though :):

11.png

Washed each wheel in the bath first (one advantage of being single...), made an awesome mess of the bathroom :D.

Hmm well i got recommended to this garage by someone from RetroRides. Thing is he said it'll probably be around £200/300 cause when you take all that apart you might as well replace the clutch. Erm what?! My clutch is fine!
Really? Mine only cost a little more than that for clutch change MOT and a full service. And why replace a clutch just for fun? Thats just silly! Hope it gets u sorted though

Really? Mine only cost a little more than that for clutch change MOT and a full service. And why replace a clutch just for fun? Thats just silly! Hope it gets u sorted though

God knows mate im gonna swat up on some mechanical knowledge before i take it back so i sort of know what im talking about, wheres frank when you need him!!

I guess that they mean that so long as the gearbox has to come off anyway, which is a time consuming and expensive job, they may as well fit a new clutch as the cost of a clutch plate is relatively cheap?

Wells eeing as he mentioned the price range 200-300 smackeroonies it's not exactly cheap! My clutch is great anyway no problems. The idle is creeping up though now idles at 1500 even though it was mild today so not due to cold weather. Just annoying all holding me back from modding it.

Also tyres look good Guy but also make it look like its got huge lump under the hood! (bonnet)

Wells eeing as he mentioned the price range 200-300 smackeroonies it's not exactly cheap! My clutch is great anyway no problems. The idle is creeping up though now idles at 1500 even though it was mild today so not due to cold weather. Just annoying all holding me back from modding it.

Also tyres look good Guy but also make it look like its got huge lump under the hood! (bonnet)

Probably also incase the oil leak has contaminated the clutch...depending on where its coming from. Expect it to be either the crank oil seal (flywheel will deflect the oil to some extent) or input oil seal (gotta take apart gearbox to replace it and it can ruin the clutch).

Probably also incase the oil leak has contaminated the clutch...depending on where its coming from. Expect it to be either the crank oil seal (flywheel will deflect the oil to some extent) or input oil seal (gotta take apart gearbox to replace it and it can ruin the clutch).

Well it hasn't at all the clutch is absolutely spot on, and he hasn't taken it apart yet to look, think he's just trying to squeeze more money out of me. He said it needs sealent around the crank case (or something like that). Surely that means if the leak is still going on inside but its been seald up it will just fill up in the clutch/flywheel area?

Well it hasn't at all the clutch is absolutely spot on, and he hasn't taken it apart yet to look, think he's just trying to squeeze more money out of me. He said it needs sealent around the crank case (or something like that). Surely that means if the leak is still going on inside but its been seald up it will just fill up in the clutch/flywheel area?

Had to say where hes suggesting its leaking (granted hes guessing at the moment). As far as i know theres the two o-ring seals ive mentioned that can wear out and let oil through. The clutch housing to engine contact surface has a small notch out of the underside, where any oil leaking will eventually come out.

Have you worked out if its gearbox or engine oil ?

Is there a way to determine it? Its very dark and the dipstick doesnt give a good reading when i check it

Edit: However the oil pressure light is never on, but it's a pretty slow leak.

If its a really slow leak it might be harder to say 100%. I'd double check over the whole engine / gearbox just to make sure its not something obvious. :)

Well i had a look underneath, its deffo not the head gasket, sump plug or oil filter. Also the bloke said he doesnt reckon its the sump gasket.

If i change into 5th and floor it at low revs and get very faint squealing is that my clutch slipping?

Well i had a look underneath, its deffo not the head gasket, sump plug or oil filter. Also the bloke said he doesnt reckon its the sump gasket.

If i change into 5th and floor it at low revs and get very faint squealing is that my clutch slipping?

I've only had a clutch slip once and that was because of high oil contamination, so all i got was the revs shooting up and no real drive. So thats my only experience im afraid.

If it is it might just need adjusting slightly...before i'd say otherwise. :)

Today i;
Learned how to get to the dial cluster in prep for an LED color change. Cleaned all that up too as the amount of crap i found in the joins was insane.
Found + Hooked up the cigarette lighter, as the plug was hiding below the driver side carpet.
Found out my car may be drinking anti-freeze.

Productive day all in :p
Tommorow; DE-BUMP STRIP! Muahahahaha.

Today i;
Learned how to get to the dial cluster in prep for an LED color change. Cleaned all that up too as the amount of crap i found in the joins was insane.
Found + Hooked up the cigarette lighter, as the plug was hiding below the driver side carpet.
Found out my car may be drinking anti-freeze.

Productive day all in :p
Tommorow; DE-BUMP STRIP! Muahahahaha.

Whats the best thing to get the glue stuff off with after de bump stripping? I dont wanna peel my paint off!

Couldnt tell ya at the mo as i've not yet done it, but from reading other posts Petrol or some sort of rubbing compound should do the trick. I personally will be using white spirit as its what got the sticky crap the previous owner had left in the drivers sill off.

Whats the best thing to get the glue stuff off with after de bump stripping? I dont wanna peel my paint off!

check ebay for a tool called a toffee wheel, or fudge wheel, awesome for getting glue off without marking the paint. or you could ghetto one with a tyre valve, threaded end in a drill and use the big rubber end to get the glue off

Thanks for the comment Mark, I'm well pleased with them :). Hoopdub, does that really not affect the paint, it looks fairly brutal?!

Tested the fuel consumption, 6L/100km (47mpg) at constant speed between 100kmh and 120kmh, not bad for a 1.3 with Janspeed exhaust, Almera Airbox and some secret stuff... lol

Thanks for the comment Mark, I'm well pleased with them :). Hoopdub, does that really not affect the paint, it looks fairly brutal?!

as long as you dont push to hard and to long in one spot you will be fine with them, used them many times on many cars, just watch you dont slip with the drill and end up doing a Garth waynes word stylee :D

Cheers Frank :), it's actually running like million dollars as well - for a change! 'Monthly engine change' :D.

Finally got her sober as she was steering like she's been on the piss, £20.00 for alignment and balance now she's back to normal :)
77ab27f9.jpg
and the final edit of my hoodie design :)
hoodiedesign2.png

Today i ; Started removing bumstrips.. and was then side-tracked by mates wanting to go a scrappy visit :p
Came back empty handed but going to look into getting some gas bonnet lifters! Also purchased the micra dials with a tacho, so will hopefully get that at the end of the week.

Woop :)

Hi Frank,
How long does an engine change take you?? how long should i allow if doing one myself bearing in mind its a first time?
about 1 hr to remove, 1/2 hr swapping stuff over, then another couple hrs to refit and test usually mate (but i have a few quickfit mods tho)
a 1st timer will probably take most of a weekend i guess :)

I usually take one day because i have all the stock stuff, PAS, etc... My grey Micra took me 2 days because i installed PAS and swapped Primera GT master cylinder for a stock one (bleeding is such a pain :eek:).

Spent 4 hours stripping interior trim and shampooing it all in the bath amazing how much crap came outa the 11 year old carpet, now she's looking and smelling clean :)

Back