what did you do to your micra today ?

Gravity powered compression testing :) good idea that
heh, you may not believe i bored the block out with this too.....................but i did lol :D

PA010130.JPG

bet that took a while
no hoop, the original CGA block that had 3mm skimmed off was bored out by 10 thou, so that i could hone 15 thou off the corsa pistons, (and gap the rings to suit).
but 15 thou turned out to be waaay too much and the radius/curvature on the rings did,nt match the bore (and it smoked it balls off).
so i got some more pistons and bored another 10 thou out that block (with that drum) so that i only had to hone 5 thou off the pistons for a nice snug fit.
so no more shmokin :D

lookin good joe (and stop biting those nails :p)
WDIDT ? removed a good engine :rolleyes:

View attachment 20939

Cheers, and yeah i really should :p haha
you can see what i mean about the preload in that pic of the shock, the softer coils (space filling ones) on the spring are all 100% compressed and inactive, with the active coils themselves compressed too... What i cant decide is which end to cut!? 1) the active end, lowering it and leaving reasonable spring length when unloaded, but possibly sacrificing the nice firm/graduated springs or 2) the inactive end, which may not lower it much but will keep a firmer ride and should still fill the gap when unloaded, but possibly not giving much more shock clearance than current position... any advice?

also gotta check the fronts to see if/how much i can cut them to match the ride height...

bare respect to the frank hill. when he was looking for me on the roundabout i was shooting up that very hill.(in his sr 20 modded k11 last year)

Cheers, and yeah i really should :p haha
you can see what i mean about the preload in that pic of the shock, the softer coils (space filling ones) on the spring are all 100% compressed and inactive, with the active coils themselves compressed too... What i cant decide is which end to cut!? 1) the active end, lowering it and leaving reasonable spring length when unloaded, but possibly sacrificing the nice firm/graduated springs or 2) the inactive end, which may not lower it much but will keep a firmer ride and should still fill the gap when unloaded, but possibly not giving much more shock clearance than current position... any advice?

also gotta check the fronts to see if/how much i can cut them to match the ride height...

Cut the inactive coils off. They are helper coils to prevent the spring from coming off it's seats at full extension, they won't be doing anything now. If you cut the active coils the ride will get even firmer.

Cut the inactive coils off. They are helper coils to prevent the spring from coming off it's seats at full extension, they won't be doing anything now. If you cut the active coils the ride will get even firmer.

Cheers :) i have been reading up actually and did wonder if that would be the case. Just gotta work out how to safely match the front and rear for settled height, front is still on stock shocks atm so i dont have as much to play with when cutting springs. If i left it as is then the rear would be arches filled/close to tucking a bit (after cutting that is) but the front would still have about 3 inches clearance :confused: what to do....

Also WDID? invented a self filling fuel tank! Touching red line all the way (13 miles) to work as asdas pumps were out of order, drove all the way back to asda at the end of the day and pulled up with the needle a good 1/8 tank higher! :D

Also got my new doorhandle through the post so will be fitting that and fixing my window mechanism in the next couple of days.

WDID? Went to the local scrap yard and found a super s :D. Took the parcel shelf with speakers. Dont know weather to go back and get the front bumper and boot because there a different color to mine?? There both in good condition and he said 40 quid for them. How hard is it to get a good finish with spray cans? Also it had the green rev counter clocks if anyone is interested i could go down and get them.

easy peasy on a sunny day scott :)
Think i might go get them because my boot is a bit tatty and soo is my front bumper and they look better with the wrap around spoiler and front fogs. I will need the stalk and wiring loom for the fogs right?

Is that soo you can fit the lightened rear axle frank?

yes scott, the new axle is a different design, i trial fitted it last week and its going to plan..................so far :)
Good, hope it stays that way frank :). Went back and got the super s bumper probably go back and get the boot tommorow :D.
DSCN0280_zps48b2816c.jpg

The right fog looks like the reflective bit has peeled away :confused:.

yes scott, the new axle is a different design, i trial fitted it last week and its going to plan..................so far :)

Looking forward to seeing it Frank, do you know how much weight you've shed? Is the rear bia's adjuster still going to be in use or is it surplus to requirements ;)

Looking forward to seeing it Frank, do you know how much weight you've shed? Is the rear bia's adjuster still going to be in use or is it surplus to requirements ;)
the axle and trailing arms are 15kg mate, and the stock one was 36 iirc (with the hubs/drums etc tho) but this should be as stiff as a stock one with 2 whiteline a/r/b,s.
and i will try some fixed bias valves from other cars, these load apportioning ones tend to seize up and only work with the nearside suspension eh :rolleyes:

Good, hope it stays that way frank :). Went back and got the super s bumper probably go back and get the boot tommorow :D.
DSCN0280_zps48b2816c.jpg

The right fog looks like the reflective bit has peeled away :confused:.
Guessing at the number plate this isn't shauns old micra by any chance?

Fitted my new doorhandle :) all shiny and black and makes the grey/scratched/faded left side look a bit odd lol
reglued the driver window too, used no more nails, hope it holds up!

Really I'm 5mins from there
Yeah i live on Penwill way up that massive hill! Not too far from it and im going back tommorow to get the stalk and wiring loom for the fogs and the boot off it because mine is tatty!
Not driving my micra yet tho cos i dont have insurance :(.
Where abouts are you?

i used to go that school :p ahah what dials are in the micra in the yard? im looking for a set with rev gauge but without the didgatal screen :)

i used to go that school :p ahah what dials are in the micra in the yard? im looking for a set with rev gauge but without the didgatal screen :)

There the green dials with rev counter. I can get them tommorow if you want Leon as im going down there to get the boot and some other bits.

Back