what did you do to your micra today ?

I see your point Ed but where's the scrapheap challenge fun of spending a fortune on it? Frank reminds of the dudes in Cuba I saw on a documentary once who can cut a square section out of an old 55 gallon chemical drum and beat it into a perfect new wing for an old Americal classic in an afternoon. As an aside, in Cuba they make brake fluid by mixing alcohol, shampoo and sugar because they can't import the proper stuff :confused:.

I don't see the logic on a daily driver.

Guy
I see your point Ed but where's the scrapheap challenge fun of spending a fortune on it?

What fortune? That example I posted up was cheaper than franks, because the engine was untouched and only had a more suitable intercooler and mapped ecu. Who wants a car that blows up all the time. There is no fun in that regardless as to what people say. Also this level of fudging implied that micra engines are a weak unreliable mess under boost, which when setup is NOT THE CASE.

Frank reminds of the dudes in Cuba I saw on a documentary once who can cut a square section out of an old 55 gallon chemical drum and beat it into a perfect new wing for an old Americal classic in an afternoon.

The difference there is that worked.

WDID? gave it wash and Peanut Butter rub down, and stuck on my MSC sticker at last, came a week ago and due to weather only just got it fitted.

IMG_20120708_173153.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20120708_173227.jpg
    IMG_20120708_173227.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 231
i,ll post the printouts when i get the chance
here,s the other 2 :)

P7080007.JPG

P7080009.JPG

it just goes to show that the stock injector durations and stock fuelpump are capable of fueling @ 10:1 + a/f/r,s and 130hp eh :cool:
i might have overdone the enrichment with the 35mm restrictor plate under the t/b (which gives the wot tps signal when effectively only at half throttle)

P7020259.JPG

some of us on here post up all our findings, for the benefit of the micra community (warts and all) ;)

Wasnt Kristians wald one a 1.4 ? or am i mixing up cars and owners.

His was a CG13DE, (was squarepants' old rattle-can matt black K11). So far the only 2 people to turbo the CGA3 have been JimGR and Nis.

some of us on here post up all our findings, for the benefit of the micra community (warts and all) ;)

Maybe one day I will do the same, when the general attitude to money changes, (pigs will probably fly first though eh) :p

His was a CG13DE, (was squarepants' old rattle-can matt black K11). So far the only 2 people to turbo the CGA3 have been JimGR and Nis.

Ah ok...

Maybe one day I will do the same, when the general attitude to money changes, (pigs will probably fly first though eh) :p

Shouldnt matter imo, just because you've done X vs Y the procedure / results will still be useful...if only to allow those who want but cant afford to, to find a route where costs can be saved. :)

Sharing is caring, as they say lol.

Ed you've done your fair share of "R&D" throughout the years aswell...with similar results to micra engines. ;)

Shouldnt matter imo, just because you've done X vs Y the procedure / results will still be useful...if only to allow those who want but cant afford to, to find a route where costs can be saved. :) Sharing is caring, as they say lol. ;)
I hear what your saying and in an ideal world yes. However, experience and forum searches say otherwise.

Well what we do know is:

High comp + Turbo = Fail
Twin head gaskets = Fail
Running mega rich = Fail
Running a restrictor (why???) = Fail

etc etc...

Well what we do know is:

High comp + Turbo = Fail
Twin head gaskets = Fail
Running mega rich = Fail
Running a restrictor (why???) = Fail

etc etc...

common ed for once in your life you have to say that 130bhp at 0.5 is not bad at all. considering its all DIY too its prety good effort.
the headgasket blown only because its cheap ebay one anyway. we all know that you are full of wisdom by now, but its clear all that "fail" seems to deliver decent power.

Is there a modestly sized market for a bolt-on Turbo kit package using a combination of bespoke parts, exchange parts and secondhand sourced parts?

Running a restrictor (why???)
so that i could get full throttle t/p/s signal while not actually having throttlebody full flow ed, i wanted to err on the side of rich not lean (overdid it a tad eh:))
you know why i,m trying to avoid mapping costs, load tables and voltage correction programming etc are way over my head, and the day i pay for someone else to tune my engine is the day i hang my spanners up for good :)
those gaskets would have let go whatever, the headbolts did,nt undo with the usual "crack" , so in hindsight they compressed a fair bit, and i should have re-torqued them after a few days of running.
gonna go back to 1.0 piston 11.5:1 c/r (single H/G, re-torqued) and 1/3rd bar boost, and i,ll just be happy with 120hp *famous last words* :D

common ed for once in your life you have to say that 130bhp at 0.5 is not bad at all. considering its all DIY too its prety good effort.
the headgasket blown only because its cheap ebay one anyway. we all know that you are full of wisdom by now, but its clear all that "fail" seems to deliver decent power.

130hp @ 0.5 bar is not great. You can get 110HP N/A with bolt on mods. It didn't even last the dyno so how can I say its providing decent power when right now its producing zero? You could put a 100 shot of nitrous on the K11 and it would make more and be more reliable... Why put a restrictor on a car when your turboing it? None of this makes any sense. As it happens the restrictor does nothing anyway as shown by the boost curve, it gets higher as RPM rise, if it was falling then that would be showing a restriction. But again it appears to show a lack of understanding in what is really going on.

Of course I have a few engines fail before, how do you think I learnt? I had a standard 930cc engine making 200hp and then put nitrous on it too. That was too much for the standard headgasket - no surprise really. It ran a 14.0 @ 99mph at the pod and did tonnes of other runs all with no problems.

If someone here built a turbo K11 with the KISS principle and didn't touch the engine, just bolted stuff on used an intercooler and paid attention to the little details THEN got it setup it would be reliable. You could drive it as a normal car and provided you didn't trash it to the edge of its life It would live a long and happy existence.

so that i could get full throttle t/p/s signal while not actually having throttlebody full flow ed, i wanted to err on the side of rich not lean (overdid it a tad eh:))
you know why i,m trying to avoid mapping costs, load tables and voltage correction programming etc are way over my head, and the day i pay for someone else to tune my engine is the day i hang my spanners up for good :)
those gaskets would have let go whatever, the headbolts did,nt undo with the usual "crack" , so in hindsight they compressed a fair bit, and i should have re-torqued them after a few days of running.
gonna go back to 1.0 piston 11.5:1 c/r (single H/G, re-torqued) and 1/3rd bar boost, and i,ll just be happy with 120hp *famous last words* :D

Frank, I can even supply you an ECU with a turbo map on it. All you have to do is plug it in, and make sure you have the right injectors and MAF....

Also just so you know, TPS doesn't affect fuelling except for accel enrichment. Engine load is dictated only by the air flow voltage. It would actually be interesting to datalog from your car and see what your bodges ;) modifications have done to the poor stock setup :)

Please PLEASE don't take what I'm saying personally. (Or anyone else for that matter) It frustrates me when I see projects go wrong. The WHOLE purpose of why I created the MSC in the first place was to share information and AVOID such mistakes.

Frank, I can even supply you an ECU with a turbo map on it. All you have to do is plug it in, and make sure you have the right injectors and MAF....
thanks ed :) i like to tinker tho eh (testing stuff)
sure, i could have saved myself a load of grief by using a stock 1.3 engine, but thats all been done before

Did i miss something? I thought he blew a headgasket not kill someone lol

I have 'twin headgaskets' we'll see if mines ends up the same at what hp and boost

Code read my k11 due to the management. Light being on on the way home from japfest came up with p0302 cyl 2 misfire detected checked it against autodata records came back with fuel system, ignition system, MAF,IAT, or mechanical problem the light went off itself does anyone have any ideas on the problem its a 2000 1.0l coilpack k11

Belly, most likely a coilpack or an injector. Start by swapping two coilpacks ans see if it changes to P301 or P303 etc :).

Also just so you know, TPS doesn't affect fuelling except for accel enrichment. Engine load is dictated only by the air flow voltage. It would actually be interesting to datalog from your car and see what your bodges ;) modifications have done to the poor stock setup :).
i appreciate the info ed (if only for its rarity value ;) ) the only time my car is @ WOT is during acceleration tho.
does the high comp + boost = fail , apply to the 13:1 C/R supercharged K13 engine too ? :)

i want to turbo :) but to turbo the current 1.0 or get the 1.4 sport + im unsure and unsure weather or not to go forged internals :/ opinions please people?

Pollyp has gone forged and had a LOT of trouble if you read his blog you'll see, but it depends what kinda power youre looking to get anyway, he had something on the mark of 160 brake with a stock engine iirc.

also is there much point to turbo the 1L? Im thinking of doing a 1.3 convert and building on that instead.

Heres the only option that works, give ed your car and pay the bill at the end.
i know it will be well worth it but does anyone know a rough price of a turbo conversion? i can fit the 1.4 sport _+ lump myself at work its the turboing im unsure on

Pollyp has gone forged and had a LOT of trouble if you read his blog you'll see, but it depends what kinda power youre looking to get anyway, he had something on the mark of 160 brake with a stock engine iirc.

also is there much point to turbo the 1L? Im thinking of doing a 1.3 convert and building on that instead.
ive been thinking of ddoing a convert but iif the manifolds and that are the same and i can make a bolt on turbo kit id just swap when i changed lump

Pretty much, also depends on how much you diy, source second hand, buy brand new and then theres the mapping which is around £600

does the high comp + boost = fail , apply to the 13:1 C/R supercharged K13 engine too ? :)

No, its a direct injection lean burn engine. Its combustion chamber will be designed to localise the fuel and burn in a controlled way without the risks associated with pre ignition due to the fuel being injected at the point its required, rather than injected when the valves open and then sitting there and ignited when required. That's one of the big advantages of direct injection.

i want to turbo :) but to turbo the current 1.0 or get the 1.4 sport + im unsure and unsure weather or not to go forged internals :/ opinions please people?

I can now provided remapped ECUS for the K11 with coil packs for running turbo conversions, although I have not yet tried one.

If going for sensible power increases NO engine modifications are necessary.

im not wanting to go stupid as im a new driver im just after that little bit oomph :), i do drive turbo diesel cars at work so its not like i would be going straight fron a 1.0lkl na to a 1.4 turbo :) and ill have a think and see about cash then if i needs an ecu you shal be the one i ask :), thanks for the help people :)

Heres the only option that works, give ed your car and pay the bill at the end.

If you spent a single day at my workshop you would see how entirely incorrect you are. I'd guess around 70% of my business is doing the final setup for people who have built their own projects.

But you know what? So what if people do decide to get me/Fusion/others to do their entire conversion. Some people prefer to do this. others resent those that do this. I cannot see any logical reason why this would be the case. It also seems only to be in the car world. I mean where else would you get slated for going to the supplier for a complete product rather than making it yourself, it's complete nonsense.

Back