what did you do to your micra today ?

WDIDT ? finally found out why my nearside front brake was always a bit warmer than the o/s/f,
the 2 machined faces on the slider pin mount were slightly crooked !
which meant that when i removed the bottom bolt to swing the caliper up to check the 2 sliders and piston were moving freely every thing was A1, but as soon as i tightened that bolt the caliper would bind and not slide freely on the pins (the lower slider has a rubber insert like the righthand pin in this example pic, and the rubber was worn away at a wierd angle)

caliper_pin2.jpg

Hehe, I think I can do about 50mph in 1st in the etype. It's the one thing I love about it at roundabouts, no changing mid way round :)
Nearly bought an E type roadster back some 30 odd years ago..... £500 DOH!!!!:rolleyes: beautiful looking things.
Didn't like the geezer selling it, turned out I was right, he was jailed last month for 9 years

WDIDT ? finally found out why my nearside front brake was always a bit warmer than the o/s/f,
the 2 machined faces on the slider pin mount were slightly crooked !
which meant that when i removed the bottom bolt to swing the caliper up to check the 2 sliders and piston were moving freely every thing was A1, but as soon as i tightened that bolt the caliper would bind and not slide freely on the pins (the lower slider has a rubber insert like the righthand pin in this example pic, and the rubber was worn away at a wierd angle)

View attachment 36341
Bet that felt like a eureka moment, nothing like cracking the code as they say.:)

Quite right Chris, do what you want, but don't kill yourself........ or any-one else please.

@SirChris got some 14x7+8j bandeds

also everyone moaning about my "boy racing" stories, do what i want.
Yeah ur stories are bait.. No doubt some of the people weren't racing, but I was more worried about you not dying. The days when the turbo was very very stiff and low I found that the car would actively lost traction at the worst times. The only saviour was my LSD and torque. I actually took the dive in the end to lose the look of the car to concentrate on its handling at speed. I was just concerned about you hurting urself or someone else. Its not worth dying in a street race, if it was the death race 2000 with great rewards I would allow it... But we will need to equip it car with weapons.

Today I sprayed my rockercover:grinning:
5628477657_c2c9516133.jpg

5628477661_2a80f9eac6.jpg

5628477667_1192ff854e.jpg

But no good as car won't start:down:
Sorry to bring this up after years hehe... just wanted to ask, after spraying your rocket cover did you change the gasket beneath it? Reason for asking is I had sprayed mine too and although removed and put back the screws on top of the head in the specific order they should ..since to my amazement there was a pattern on how they come on and off again...I hadn't changed the gasket beneath it nor have I put it any gasket sealer... Am curious whats the norm when doing the rocker cover?

Cheers ,

ian - Malta

Sorry to bring this up after years hehe... just wanted to ask, after spraying your rocket cover did you change the gasket beneath it? Reason for asking is I had sprayed mine too and although removed and put back the screws on top of the head in the specific order they should ..since to my amazement there was a pattern on how they come on and off again...I hadn't changed the gasket beneath it nor have I put it any gasket sealer... Am curious whats the norm when doing the rocker cover?

Cheers ,

ian - Malta

Hi Ian, It depends on you personally really. Working in a dealership common practice is to replace the gaskets once they are disturbed. However, if the rocker gasket isn't leaking why fix something that isn't broken?
If it was me I'd of changed it for how much it cost but if but if it's rebuilt and doesn't leak I'd leave it alone.
Hope Malta has better weather than us over here
Cheers

Engine bay all cleaned up with a solution of washing machine powder (the good nice smelling stuff lol) vinegar, bleach and fairy liquid . Engine block brush cupped into something a bit shinier. And polished everything. All hoses coated with a spray grease to keep em smart and protected. All connectors and earths cleaned in engine bay. Cleaned inside out certain hoses/tubes. Fitted bolt to lower fan mount thread which seemed to have gone walkabouts at some point the last 13yrs. Fitted new bushes to front sway bay. Fitted new tps sensor. Performed a full service on car. Flushed coolant and hosed out radiotor and accompanying crud and filled with new coolant. Fitted replacement headlight and xenon bulbs on front of car. Cleaned up both rear brake drums inside and out and skimmed the surfaces of the lip fractionally with a grinding wheel while solvent cleaning rear wheel bearings and repacking with grease and adjusting shoes so wheels spin freely. Lastly adjusted the handbrake.and clutch.been busy recently :D
20141022_131803.jpg

20141022_131822.jpg
20141022_131742.jpg

Attachments

• 20141022_131811.jpg
    20141022_131811.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 297
  • 20141015_220316.jpg
    20141015_220316.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 273
  • 20141016_102117.jpg
    20141016_102117.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 306
  • 20141016_102117.jpg
    20141016_102117.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 293
  • 20141015_220316.jpg
    20141015_220316.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 283
Hi Ian, It depends on you personally really. Working in a dealership common practice is to replace the gaskets once they are disturbed. However, if the rocker gasket isn't leaking why fix something that isn't broken?
If it was me I'd of changed it for how much it cost but if but if it's rebuilt and doesn't leak I'd leave it alone.
Cheers
Thanks Barns for replying, to be honest. Ive got a leak amd it seems from around the head but lower than the rocker cover so im not sure if that was the cause when i disturbed it although it was years ago. Would i find one off ebay? And a quick question if i had to replace the gasket woulnd it be risky with the cover off cleaning the old gasket since dirt might fall inside the head? Just a thought

Engine bay all cleaned up with a solution of washing machine powder (the good nice smelling stuff lol) vinegar, bleach and fairy liquid . Engine block brush cupped into something a bit shinier. And polished everything. All hoses coated with a spray grease to keep em smart and protected. All connectors and earths cleaned in engine bay. Cleaned inside out certain hoses/tubes. Fitted bolt to lower fan mount thread which seemed to have gone walkabouts at some point the last 13yrs. Fitted new bushes to front sway bay. Fitted new tps sensor. Performed a full service on car. Flushed coolant and hosed out radiotor and accompanying crud and filled with new coolant. Fitted replacement headlight and xenon bulbs on front of car. Cleaned up both rear brake drums inside and out and skimmed the surfaces of the lip fractionally with a grinding wheel while solvent cleaning rear wheel bearings and repacking with grease and adjusting shoes so wheels spin freely. Lastly adjusted the handbrake.and clutch.been busy recently :DView attachment 36440
View attachment 36444 View attachment 36445
Holy macaroni one hell of a neat engine!!!!!! Can you elaborate more on the cleaning process? Arent you bothered when cleaning the head cover that fluid might seep into the spark plugs? Also i need to change couple of bushed beneath the engine yet i dont know their name and that limits me from finding them off ebay and i dont stock locally since prices here are infernal at many places.

Cheers
Heh the weather here is getting a bit chilly for us locals. But am sure itd be spectacular for yous Brits. Just snapped a pic of the clear sky this morning todays gonna be 24deg.
imagejpg2_zpsbebd06a8.jpg
imagejpg1_zps95802a04.jpg

This from the village called san gwann i.e st john overlooking the touristic town called st julians / paceville where the night clubs are.

Hiya funky2nite, the cleaning process is mostly time consuming and painstaking attention to. detail the bleach, vinegar, washing machine powder & fairy solution took all grease off the engine bay walls no problem. And basically wiped with damp cloth and that solution anything I could see and reach. even unscrewed brackets to take off and clean. All the black plastics got cleaned of all residue and crap then polished vigorously with autoglym super resin (theres better stuff more designed for plastics im just cheap). For the hoses I got em all clean and rubbed a spray grease (silicone based I think) all over them which once seeped in made the hoses look brand new. For the rocker cover I broke out my angle grinder with a wire brush cup attachment and removed all brackets around rocker, so no having to remove it and buy new gasket etc. I spent 3 solid days on that engine bay. Shame I didnt take before pics but im sure you can imagine what 13yrs of crap looks like lol. Only do this if your insane and have too much time haha.

lookin good marc :cool:
WDIDT ?
added some windage around the front discs, as you can see with the skinny 165 tyres and reversed wheels (and no silly splitter) there is plenty of air getting to the caliper, but not much flow around the discs

PA260245.JPG
PA260246.JPG

Hiya funky2nite, the cleaning process is mostly time consuming and painstaking attention to. detail the bleach, vinegar, washing machine powder & fairy solution took all grease off the engine bay walls no problem. And basically wiped with damp cloth and that solution anything I could see and reach. even unscrewed brackets to take off and clean. All the black plastics got cleaned of all residue and crap then polished vigorously with autoglym super resin (theres better stuff more designed for plastics im just cheap). For the hoses I got em all clean and rubbed a spray grease (silicone based I think) all over them which once seeped in made the hoses look brand new. For the rocker cover I broke out my angle grinder with a wire brush cup attachment and removed all brackets around rocker, so no having to remove it and buy new gasket etc. I spent 3 solid days on that engine bay. Shame I didnt take before pics but im sure you can imagine what 13yrs of crap looks like lol. Only do this if your insane and have too much time haha.
So if understood you well.. firstly you bleached the engine body? Then you redone it using vinegar and ultimately redoit again using the fairy and washing machine solution? Or is it a complete solution?

With regards to the bush, I was referring to the lowest engine mount which then attaches to a bar that stretches underneat the engine, and the bar attaches to the body has rubber padding which has brittled out.. dunno what its called thought of using thick rubber washers under the bolt

Might need a winch for that job mate....or if its a 1litre someone strong as feck pmsl. I just mixed it all into one nasty smelling solution...2 cups washing machine powder...half cup vinegar. Some fairy and 5 cups of bleach. Took all the crud oil etc off no problem. Then polished it all for shine, protection and beading effect

Might need a winch for that job mate....or if its a 1litre someone strong as feck pmsl. I just mixed it all into one nasty smelling solution...2 cups washing machine powder...half cup vinegar. Some fairy and 5 cups of bleach. Took all the crud oil etc off no problem. Then polished it all for shine, protection and beading effect
Paraffin will do the same, and evaporate afterwards, especially on a warm engine.
Did it on a Nissan cherry years ago, real easy cleaning method. Clean my car today, nah, not inside, outside or anywhere. I've got the dirtiest car you've ever seen. If I say so myself........its disgusting. My dogs don't care anyway.

you mean cut/drill the bumper matt ? i want to avoid that tbh
No drilling involved, used some bass speaker trumpets from Maplin, tubing i use proper heat resistant stuff, but you could use flexi tubing from the vacuum cleaner and a few zip ties...

put standard springs, shocks etc in the rear and raised front 3 inches then got it really muddy and took it to a car meet and parked like a bellend next to some volkswagens, standard

Ordered the new sill.
Taking it to my friends workshop at the weekend to get that welded in.
Final checks next week for the MOT on the 8th, all should be well

Car has barely moved since last MOT

Back