what did you do to your micra today ?

Turbo was damaged also but im getting a slightly bigger one now, weld the wastegate shut with external wastegate and screamer pipe ;) piston rings are worn or ringlands are broken i think

Tapes, love it! Reminds me of recording Bruno Brooks doing the top 40 on radio 1....

In other news - rather than 'what did you do to your Micra today' I did something to somebody else's Micra.

hn5qxfg01mmvzfd6g.jpg

I met up with MarkBognor and a few other nutters at 4am (yup, 4am) this morning for a through London cruise thanks to Seth from over on Retro Rides. Anyway, after a fun drive through the Olympic Village, Docklands and then into central London, we stopped in sight of St Pauls Cathedral. Never mind the culture, I wanted a pork pie, but not before placing it carefully in the dish of Bognor!
Another strange day in car land. There are more pictures, but I need to convert them all from raw format. Stay tuned.

PS - nice to meet you MrB!

Looks like a good meet :) some Gorgeous cars!! Maybe i should have a better look round that forum and make some friends :) not that my car is very retro lol :p seems to be a bit of everything there though

could you do one for a k10 Ed?
Dont see why not :) would need a k10 to make it on though (not sure if the k11 one would fit).

Where did you get the plates from, that sit on the strut tops?
the plates i just cut myself out of 2mm steel, it was only a mock up so the real one will be made from more sturdy metal :)

WDID ?
maybe sussed how to get these head gaskets to withstand more boost :) using these modern crimped steel gasket technique (here,s one of our later type kart ones, a fire ring and 2 oil/crankcase ports, perfect seal without the use of compound or sealer)

and here,s the cut-out fire-rings from a CR gasket, on a CG gasket

when torqued down the crimping has flattened out in the high clamping area,s (near the bolts) but has,nt flattened in the low clamping area,s (between the bores where they blow first)

Will it still seal then between the cylenders do you think even if the gasket is not fully compressed? some sealing compound around the galleries though still?

Dont see why not :) would need a k10 to make it on though (not sure if the k11 one would fit).

the plates i just cut myself out of 2mm steel, it was only a mock up so the real one will be made from more sturdy metal :)

Will it still seal then between the cylenders do you think even if the gasket is not fully compressed? some sealing compound around the galleries though still?
i could get measurements if you need

thats the purpose of the pressed steel (mls) ones eh ed, they compensate for any difference in pressure or flatness, and the most pressure is concentrated near the headbolts, so the crimped area near the headbolts is flattened out, so as to even out the pressure.
my ebay gasket lasted 8 months, but it started to leak gasses into the water jacket at anything over half a bar (and was probably leaking gasses from cylinder to cylinder for months)
and yes, the silicon sealer was squashed to a thin film :)

P5191044.JPG

thats the purpose of the pressed steel (mls) ones eh ed, they compensate for any difference in pressure or flatness, and the most pressure is concentrated near the headbolts, so the crimped area near the headbolts is flattened out, so as to even out the pressure.
my ebay gasket lasted 8 months, but it started to leak gasses into the water jacket at anything over half a bar (and was probably leaking gasses from cylinder to cylinder for months)
and yes, the silicon sealer was squashed to a thin film :)

View attachment 23074
Sounds like the mls one is the way to go for boost then! (or in my case high comp(when its finished)) Is it possible to mod the gasket/use sealant around the oil passages instead of attacking the head to make it work? I dont have that many spare engines to try with lol

Sounds like the mls one is the way to go for boost then! (or in my case high comp(when its finished)) Is it possible to mod the gasket/use sealant around the oil passages instead of attacking the head to make it work? I dont have that many spare engines to try with lol
yes the CR gasket would be ideal if it was,nt for that damn offset oil feed gallery eh joe :( i,ll see how this fire-ring option fare,s first.
and you,re ok with N/A, its only the boostage that gives the head lifting problems mate :)

Wdid? Oil and filter change (bout time :rolleyes:) and cancelled all ads so my car is NO LONGER FOR SALE!! :D Suppose I'd better refit the front fogs now that I'd removed for the sale ;)
No longer for sale :) wooo! does this mean you now have a job? Or have you started whoring yourself out? :p

[Technically yesterday]

Fitted my spare freshly painted cam cover and set out on a 100 mile @60mph trip to a show, when i got there i took off the bonnet to show the engine and found a engine bay covered in oil :(

Turns out one of the cam cover seals for the spark plug tubes did not seal and the crank case pressure forced out a lot of oil

[Technically yesterday]

Fitted my spare freshly painted cam cover and set out on a 100 mile @60mph trip to a show, when i got there i took off the bonnet to show the engine and found a engine bay covered in oil :(

Turns out one of the cam cover seals for the spark plug tubes did not seal and the crank case pressure forced out a lot of oil

Sad times. Did it turn out ok in the end?

Wdid? Separated the mani and cat i got the other day, ended up cutting 2 bolts which rounded off, i'll battle with them later. Also cut off one of the cat to downpipe bolts which rounded and had pretty much fused to the cat. Drilling time i think, small bit, leave the sides intact and then pry out the remains hopefully leaving the thread intact-ish. Now just to decide what to do with the cat and which of my many silly exhaust ideas to try out! How much does a micra cat sell/scrap for? anyone know?

Wdid? Separated the mani and cat i got the other day, ended up cutting 2 bolts which rounded off, i'll battle with them later. Also cut off one of the cat to downpipe bolts which rounded and had pretty much fused to the cat. Drilling time i think, small bit, leave the sides intact and then pry out the remains hopefully leaving the thread intact-ish. Now just to decide what to do with the cat and which of my many silly exhaust ideas to try out! How much does a micra cat sell/scrap for? anyone know?
the cat core,s fetch about £15 joe (reclaim)

Prepped my alloys for paint, but I forgot my camera so no photos until tomorrow. Then again, I might wait until they're painted and the tyres are fitted, which I still have to order.

Worked out a plan for building the new cga engine build..... Question time. Which is the best head gasket kit? And do you need to replace head bolts?

Also can you remove the dowels from the cam sprockets? And if so what is best advice for this i.e. what way to move things.

Expect more questions to come on this build, and yes i will post up pics during the build ;)

Also can you remove the dowels from the cam sprockets? And if so what is best advice for this i.e. what way to move things.

Expect more questions to come on this build, and yes i will post up pics during the build ;)
filing the dowels is a safer way of adjustment matt :)

Forgive me if I sound daft. I remember stripping mine down and saw the dowels. But mine is a GA but they're not that different
Is filing them down the same as your adjustments on vernier pulleys?

Forgive me if I sound daft. I remember stripping mine down and saw the dowels. But mine is a GA but they're not that different
Is filing them down the same as your adjustments on vernier pulleys?
i think cov on the almera owners club adjusted his GA16 valve timing (maybe with drilled holes ?)

i think cov on the almera owners club adjusted his GA16 valve timing (maybe with drilled holes ?)

They have the variable timing don't they. Hmm could be an investigative job then.
One thing I did think (if manufacturing the pulleys wasn't an issue) what about converting to a cambelt?
It'd be pulley sizing that'd be the issue. 2 cam rotations to 1 crank?

Bought the headlamp connectors today, be good to actually be able to drive at night soon! Even though sunset's been kind to me recently. My local Spar garage sells the right bulbs for £2.60, took my Halfords one back that I paid £8 for.

Back