what bike carbs should i install on k11 facelift and how ?

L.Williams

soundcloud.com/lwilliamsmusic
i need a tutoprial thread / blog BIGGG HELPPPPP on how ? and what type of performance gains would i be looking at? and is it easy to fit ?

i need a tutoprial thread / blog BIGGG HELPPPPP on how ? and what type of performance gains would i be looking at? and is it easy to fit ?

Its easy to fit the main parts getting the manifold made up:

Manifold
Must hold the carbs at an angle that the float bowls are as level as possible
If you want to keep your brake servo you will need to angle the tubes over to the nearside
Also you'll need a vacuum takeoff for the servo from one or all of the inlet pipes

Fuel
You'll need a step down fuel pressure regulator with a return to the tank (normally steps the pressure down to 5Psi)
A further step down regulator to take the pressure from 5 to 1 - 0.5psi

Carbs
I use CBR900R but 600cc work just as well, jets re drilled per spec of the car (i've not fine tuned mine yet) Best to strip them down & clean them out, then set the idle screws tight & back them out 2 1/2 or 3 turns.

Ignition
Easiest (by no means best for performance) is to unplug the MAF / TPS / Injectors out of the way. The car will run on the base map of the ecu but you wont have advanced timing or a 3D map. You main option then is to advance & retard the timing as best suits the car

Coolant
Coolant pipes that used to run into the throttlebodie waxstat are now redundant, Connect them to eachother with a small length of suitable pipe.

Throttle
You will need to make up a bracket to hold the throttle cable, this will also allow your fine adjustment for the throttle.
As well the throttle pedal will only take aroun 1 1/2 to be at WOT. I made a bump stop for the throttle pedal to save bending any brakets

As for gains i have no proof of figures, throttle response is very good, maybe 5-10bhp gain?

This is by no means the best way its just how i've set mine up to date, hope it helps :)

I'm running 4psi on my carbs now without any flooding issues

And yrs, defiantly strip and clean before fitting, :D

pretty much every thing skinner said. I fitted a facet fuel pump which provides 3.5-4psi and I have no problems with flooding carbs. The carbs I use are off a zxr750 but pretty much any carbs from a 600cc or larger will be fine.

as for gains I could not tell you as I have had bike carbs from the start but the engine picks up very quickly and sounds great.

I wonder if I need to up my fuel pressure I'm only on half a psi! Seems to run ok, I'm with you l_jonez nothing beats the noise!

bike pumps provide around 2-2.5psi and from reading forums etc people claim if the pressure is any thing under 1.2psi the pump needs replacement

bike pumps provide around 2-2.5psi and from reading forums etc people claim if the pressure is any thing under 1.2psi the pump needs replacement

riteo il look into this then might be holding it back at the top end if its starving it of fuel, sooner i get the wideband in the better eh!

riteo il look into this then might be holding it back at the top end if its starving it of fuel, sooner i get the wideband in the better eh!

I've only been able to get my pressure higher with these new set of carbs, as old set couldn't handle any pressure at all, all the seals/seatings for seals were fooked! You tried the 'turn upside down and blow into fuel pipe' trick, should seal and doesn't allow you to blow any air into it. :)

I've only been able to get my pressure higher with these new set of carbs, as old set couldn't handle any pressure at all, all the seals/seatings for seals were fooked! You tried the 'turn upside down and blow into fuel pipe' trick, should seal and doesn't allow you to blow any air into it. :)

Il have to give that a try Pork, they should take more pressure iv just never turned it up that high to be honest, everything should be good as they were stripped cleaned and balance when they first went on :) so il crank the fuel up tomorrow and see how she runs

Just to point out my pump is under the boot floor so has to pump the length of car plus the height of the engine, so it's probably got around 2.5-3psi at the carbs.

Back