Bike carbs

Hi,
just having taughts of going down the bike carbs route as i think sr20 is too much work and also i think it would look well to still have a little 1.3 or so under the bonnet.

my plans would be cbr 600/900 bike carbs, 4-2-1 manifold, ecu remap, high lift cams etc..

could anyone point me in the right direction for the right carbs to buy ,intake mainfold to mod, what to do with injectors and basic tips on what i would need, thanks

this is an owners forum to ask questions on topics which you are not sure on or if you have a problem with your micra , on this occasion i am asking a question on a topic i am not sure of and shouldnt be pointed away from the site from a `Club Member` so could you please leave your sly comments to yourself and let me ask my questions, thank you

It wasn't a sly comment, if you can't be bothered to do some basic research why should anyone help you? This has been covered many times over the years on various formats. If you'd bothered to do your research you'd know that there are at least 2 members on here running bike carbs, but no you want spoon feeding like the rest of the general populas

if i had found them whilst searching there would have been no need for this topic, didnt find them so posted . does it really effect you if i post this like?

If you'd searched there would have been no need for this thread

No doesn't really effect, though you seem to be getting upset because you're not being told how to do it

i taught this website was for owners and enthusiasts to helps others and show off there handy work, not to bicker and say oh were not going to tell you how to do it because you didnt research it

It is but like I said previously if you can't be bothered to help yourself why should anyone help you?

I could answer your origional questions but I shouldn't need to

Tbh, i rarely get what i want from searching this site, if anything, and was looking forwards to listening in on what might have been said about running bike carbs. others run them, but never really go into any depth on how they set up fueling and so on which would be the most difficult for me, being potentially the most expensive or fiddly part of such a build. just my 2 pence lol.

Skinners bike carbed micra is awesome, so is ijonez's micra powered mini

Both somewhere in the k11 blogs.

I'm using cbr600 carbs and a bogg bros made manifold, about £180 for that

You will need a wideband 02 sensor to get the jets right,

Skinners bike carbed micra is awesome, so is ijonez's micra powered mini

Both somewhere in the k11 blogs.

I'm using cbr600 carbs and a bogg bros made manifold, about £180 for that

You will need a wideband 02 sensor to get the jets right,
Or a rolling road session (dyno plot as addes bonus)

I'd like to stick mine on dyno, see what this turbo/carb gubbins had squeezed out

Never been on a dyno, would they be able to tune my setup do you reckon?

Every road is different, not that many these days will tune carbs though I found. Don't think Surrey Rolling Road could for example... I'd still ask though.

i wanted to just chop up the standard mani to use the standard fuel rail with some big injectors/ fpr, use the bike carbs for the 'bodys, mated to a custom plenum with a MAF sensor fitted to its intake. anyone know if you could run the standard ecu with that sort of set up?

How about bike itb's?
yer, id go for whatever fitted teh standard intake best. i thought carbs and itbs were basically the same one you pull all the fuelling gubbins out of bike carbs? im just planning, i went down the turbo route on a different car as my ol micra was rusty beond repair, never got to have fun with itbs.

Take the cbr as example, carbs and itb will have the same port fitting as they were both fitted to the cbr engine,
So as long as the intake mani is made right both will fit, it's the ecu you will have trouble with

I_jonez has carbs , and now firing itb's, check his mini build out

i wanted to just chop up the standard mani to use the standard fuel rail with some big injectors/ fpr, use the bike carbs for the 'bodys, mated to a custom plenum with a MAF sensor fitted to its intake. anyone know if you could run the standard ecu with that sort of set up?
you would need a plenum and maf ideally, to run the stock ecu, and you could use carbs as t/b,s, but proper bike t/b,s would be better tho

you would need a plenum and maf ideally, to run the stock ecu, and you could use carbs as t/b,s, but proper bike t/b,s would be better tho
so, with bike itbs with a custom plenum and a MAF in its inlet (i/d matching the combined i/d of the itbs) would run on standard ecu? might have to go for that. anyone know what the standard map does with that sort of air intake/ high rpm? i suppose an afr sensor/gauge and an fpr would be needed?

It would run but you'd want a standalone ecu to gain any benefits
surely with the added air intake alongside a raised comp ratio/ max rpm you would gain benefits from running itbs on the standard ecu. my goal is to make a super cheap track slag, and spend next to nothing on it lol, aftermarket ecus are 'spensive!

Finto, stop QQ. There's more than enough info on this forum, ciscos forum and the net as a whole.

Enuo is right too, there's loads of people doing bike carb setups on their blogs. Just have a trawl through and you'll find what you looking for. No need to get pissed off at Carl. If you were asking for directions; yet you had a sat nav, a road map and GPS at hand to find out where you were, would you really be that bothered if someone told you to use the tools you've already got? - in essence that what @Karlj

I'm no genius but ill do my best to find the info before posting a thread or post about it. No point in filling up the forum with duplicates, as it makes this very issue(finding info)ultimately worse.

My 2 cents.

just noticed ive bulldozed this thread completly, sorry about that :confused: though i recon my questions are on topic. i searched for I_jonez's build thread earlier, got diddly bawls from the search engine on this site.

surely with the added air intake alongside a raised comp ratio/ max rpm you would gain benefits from running itbs on the standard ecu. my goal is to make a super cheap track slag, and spend next to nothing on it lol, aftermarket ecus are 'spensive!

Ok yes you would see the benefits straight away but you could also run into all sorts of problems e.g running to lean/rich, ecu may not read the maf or tps.

The biggest problem with going n/a is it isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination

The biggest problem with going n/a is it isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination
the thing is, i have a spare ct9 from my starlet that i could set up onto a cg with no problem, but the same problem is that aftermarket ecus are more moolah than i want to spend on something that will probable endup on its roof in a gravel trap :L

Ghetto n/a is a lot less risky than ghetto forced tho, and a lot of fun too :)

True but when you really get into it, it costs more

the thing is, i have a spare ct9 from my starlet that i could set up onto a cg with no problem, but the same problem is that aftermarket ecus are more moolah than i want to spend on something that will probable endup on its roof in a gravel trap :L

No different to any other track car though, I thought the same with the egg after adding up the cost of conversions

after searching online, and being pointed out here, the main issue with the carbs is fuelling and ecu, i will look into standalone ecu , injectors, regulators etc.. also k10 distributor cap :)

after searching online, and being pointed out here, the main issue with the carbs is fuelling and ecu, i will look into standalone ecu , injectors, regulators etc.. also k10 distributor cap :)
Only need electronic ignition, fueling doesn't require an ecu eith carbs...

So what issue is there with the fueling and ecu?

Why do you need injectors?

You need a step down regulator, due to the carbs needing a lower pressure.

Why do you need a k10 dizzy cap?

Hi Finto, have a good read of these PDF's, they have everything you need as an overall guide.

http://www.totalvauxhall.co.uk/files/legacy/TOV64.tech60697.pdf
http://www.classicfordmag.co.uk/files/2011/07/CLF166.bike_.pdf

Micra wise you can run carbs VERY simply as a start point. Basically unplug all the injectors / MAF / TPS, so long as the carbs are set up ok the car will run.

If you are going to the trouble of running an aftermarket ECU (ignition only for carbs) Megajolt is a popular option, but as Frank has said why not look into ITB's if you wish to run aftermarket ECU . Are you getting throttle bodies & carbs a little confused?

A few things to think about if you wish to run bike carbs on a Micra......

You will need step down fuel pressure regulators from the factory injection pressure to around 2-3psi to run the carbs.
Consider if you want to keep the brake servo, if you do the carbs will need to be offset to the nearside of the car (if right hand drive)
You will need a bracket to hold the throttle cable
Id recommend a wideband lambda to fine tune the jet size of the carbs. 1.35mm is a good starting point.

So what issue is there with the fueling and ecu?

Why do you need injectors?

You need a step down regulator, due to the carbs needing a lower pressure.

Why do you need a k10 dizzy cap?

this is why ive put up this post karl after all your pointing out of go searching, nothing is clear and is all confusing, thats why i still donbt know what to do

Hi Finto, have a good read of these PDF's, they have everything you need as an overall guide.

http://www.totalvauxhall.co.uk/files/legacy/TOV64.tech60697.pdf
http://www.classicfordmag.co.uk/files/2011/07/CLF166.bike_.pdf

Micra wise you can run carbs VERY simply as a start point. Basically unplug all the injectors / MAF / TPS, so long as the carbs are set up ok the car will run.

If you are going to the trouble of running an aftermarket ECU (ignition only for carbs) Megajolt is a popular option, but as Frank has said why not look into ITB's if you wish to run aftermarket ECU . Are you getting throttle bodies & carbs a little confused?

A few things to think about if you wish to run bike carbs on a Micra......

You will need step down fuel pressure regulators from the factory injection pressure to around 2-3psi to run the carbs.
Consider if you want to keep the brake servo, if you do the carbs will need to be offset to the nearside of the car (if right hand drive)
You will need a bracket to hold the throttle cable
Id recommend a wideband lambda to fine tune the jet size of the carbs. 1.35mm is a good starting point.

i will give them a read now thanks,
yeah ive seen a few pictures of intake manifolds offset to a degree to avoid the brake servo and its been noted, ill have a read of them links and post back what i under stand and dont understand

ok so basically to get a micra to run on carbs i need;
bike carbs ( cbr600 route)
make inlet manifold( offset to avoid brake servo)
adjustable fuel pressure regulator ( max to 3psi)
drill out jets to desired size (1.35mm good starting point)
wire in tps on carbs into existing tps loom
make bracket for throttle cable
make throttle cable

any other tips of things i should account for ?

ok so basically to get a micra to run on carbs i need;
bike carbs ( cbr600 route)
make inlet manifold( offset to avoid brake servo)
adjustable fuel pressure regulator ( max to 3psi)
drill out jets to desired size (1.35mm good starting point)
wire in tps on carbs into existing tps loom
make bracket for throttle cable
make throttle cable

any other tips of things i should account for ?

Throttle cable just used the micras standard cable

When making the manifold make sure the float bowls on the carbs are at the right level

Back