• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

RIP 2011-2014 Skymera's K11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not overly keen on the white centre caps, so a few coats of gloss black and here's how they look
r7bZR.jpg

ZfWFp.jpg

Do you like my professional setup? :p

Sure is! Just fitted them, not a bad finish. Though very dirty wheels!
ZJmnL.jpg

Can't wait to have these wheels sand blasted and painted in a high gloss black!

Real nice mate! would be cool if you had like a blue outer lip or something simple

where did you get these from if you dont mind me asking?
Just someone local selling them. They are Volkswagen Polo steels which have been banded very wide with a crazy negative offset. I just stuck my Nissan centre caps in the middle.

So unfortunately they're not a cool set of alloys :(

Having to put most things on hold for a little while. New job n all' means I wont be paid a dime until the end of September and not a full month pay packet until end of OCTOBER! Insurance to pay, money owed to people and the MOT in October also, combine that with a 30mile round trip to work each day means I'm skint for a while.

Exhaust should be done early October and most other things will need to wait until the new year *sads*

However, removed the old Zafira splitter and fitted this new one given to me. Either from a BMW or... I'm not sure actually.
2r7n7nn.jpg

On a side note, some of the more tech savvy people would have noticed the pink spot in this photo and indeed most of my other photos. This is due to the cheap camera CMOS sensor Samsung fitted in the i9100 and also the lousy camera firmware coupled with it. #blamesamsung

Little bit of an update of small bits I've got in the post and ready to do and going to do:

• Almera airbox to replace standard airbox, cheers Karl! should be here Monday.
  • New centre pipe, gaskets, backbox. No more cherrybomb or side exit, yay. Slight delay due to retards on eBay.
  • Fit a new thermostat since mine is absent..
Long term:
  • Smooth, fill and paint arches
  • Sand blast steels, paint in a deep gloss black
  • Who knows what will come up! :)
I haven't got any real in-depth posts as such so hoping to get some more of those with plenty of pictures, may help some people out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, was looking to remove my carbon canister the other day, seems requested quite a bit yet I found lots of info but no real pictures. So here's what I did to remove mine.
1. Remove top 3 hoses and the bottom hoses.
2. Loosen the bracket
3. Remove carbon canister
4. Remove the two 10mm bolts holding the bracket in.
5. You need to block one of the pipes going towards the TB, you can see here V
30iue4w.jpg

The others can be cut back if I remember rightly.
But I much rather suggest rotating it or relocating it seeing as it doesn't actually weigh much at all and it's far easier.

So Almera airbox arrived today, good condition though the box looked as if it had been used as a football!

Airbox quite a bit larger than the standard Micra airbox, this meant moving the carbon canister previously.
28i248w.jpg

Intake hole much larger, my induction pipe fit snugly over the hole, used a bit of tape to seal any gaps.
1037cwz.jpg

Much larger air filter, little dirty but still good to use :) A gauze type filter already included so I removed the one on my throttle body, didn't see the point in having two.
2z4z5nc.jpg

Fits well :) You can see my 90degree pipe and a bit of silicone hose :p Might play around with the CAI location.
2rel2fq.jpg

you took him for a spin and it felt,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

Not sure if it's noticeable or not as I've been running such rubbish fuel recently.

Filled up £20 Shell Unleaded today and took it for a spin, feels a little less restrictive mid-high revs.

Overall good buy I'd say :)

Been out today to get some bits to cut the centre pipe down.

My weapons of choice, 3 junior hacksaws and 1 half rounded file. I bought 3 saws because they were £1 each and expected them to be rubbish, but it cut pretty clean and still very sharp!
JbBKp.jpg

The ring piece :p I chopped off
ty5mN.jpg

And finally the tiny bit of pipe I have left
hBuF6.jpg

Tested fit against the back box, slots together nice and ends up flush.

Not bad for my first time cutting metal with a hacksaw :D

It only took 5 mins :) Felt I had to be quite precise, didn't want to cut too much or to little or for it to be uneven.

Plus at £1 it's much cheaper than a grinder :D

tru tue ,once them thin cutting disc get in its straight cut all the way.always use protective eyewear always

pics of finished job ?

tru tue ,once them thin cutting disc get in its straight cut all the way.always use protective eyewear always

pics of finished job ?

Not fitting till this weekend when I have a couple days free, i'll get some pics up then ;)

Decided to fit today, sun was out and I was in a good mood for a change! I have some more pics, but they need to be resized.

Done in the wee hours of the morning, took me just over two hours by myself.

Backbox, centre pipe, gasket and gun gum.
Za0HZ.jpg

Old system removed, didn't take too long but it's totally wrecked and needing replacing regardless.
1JfHq.jpg

Had to grind away the bolt holes so I could get the studs out and replace with new nuts and bolts. This was done when decat-ing.
maiE6.jpg

Ouch
OZvyO.jpg

Cherrybomb has taken a beating over the past few months!
REM9i.jpg

This ideally was a two man job, was difficult holding the pipe flat so I could get the bolts in through the 4-2-1 flange, through the gasket and then through the centre pipe. I ended up using 3 jacks, each holding up part of the exhaust.
In the end, it fit!
SJ4Te.jpg

Backbox fit together okay, bit fiddly. I coated up the pipe with gun gum like I was laying bricks. Some excess splooged out so I just wiped it round the outside
M4WT0.jpg

Repping my new pea shooter.
N0kOh.jpg

It's SO nice to have some quiet again, no loudness or horrible vibrating. I can finally open my windows without being overcome with fumes :eek:
The quiet also makes other noises stand out, gearbox.............:rolleyes:

Done about 40miles today. Gun gum is rock solid.

Checked for blows...not a single blow to be heard!

Full decat and 4-2-1 means it's blowing hard out that little back box, don't give it long before the baffle's blown out :eek:

Little bit of maintenance today.

The chain has been rattling when starting for quite a while now. It stopped when I replaced the tensioner from Frank, but after speaking to him I realised I did it wrong :oops: and it soon started rattling again.

So did a quick remove and reseat, everything looked nice and clean so not concerned about that. But what I did notice was my lower chain tensioner totally worn to bare metal. That'd explain the rough sound when engine is running.

Tensioner removed:
wbZj2.jpg

Tensioner twisted till it clicked and put back in place:
993Ox.jpg

You can just see the bare tensioner on the lower chain :(
Fj7Yn.jpg

Trusty sealant ready to be bolted back together.
tIxU2.jpg

So I guess the good news is that the engine isn't knackered. The chains all seemed fine and in good condition, will need to get round to doing that other lower tensioner next year, ahem Chris ;)

thats only a guide in the pic skymera, the tensioner is below that eh :) did you release the rachet mech ?

frank said:
thats only a guide in the pic skymera, the tensioner is below that eh :) did you release the rachet mech ?

I imagine it's all done okay, started engine handful of times and no rattle.

First time rattled then quietened after about 10secs

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

sounds ok eh, when the ratchet is released you wont be able to push the tensioner back in, the lower one has no ratchet mech because the oil is held down there (filter, galeries etc) and you can push the plunger back on those, but the upper tensioner oil drains out overnight (hence the ratchet fitted)

Well the MOT passed a little while back, got another year at least with this K11 :)

Did the fuel filter yesterday, not much to show just old vs new. I think the old one was from factory!
LFq9U.jpg

And currently in the process of doing my thermostat.

Here's the new stat and a selection of gaskets
MyYK0.jpg

And the old stat. As soon as I pulled the housing away coolant started gushing past so this one has definitely seen it's day!
X4Xms.jpg

where is this thing located? I have never seen it. I have stripped an engine and it don't look like anything like this. am I being silly

Well none of the supplied gaskets for "Nissan" fitted so I had to use some sealant. It has 6hours to go reasonably solid. Just hope the silicone doesnt block up the stat itself!

where is this thing located? I have never seen it. I have stripped an engine and it don't look like anything like this. am I being silly

Front of the engine bay just after the top hose from the rad.
Ffyvn.jpg

Also noticed my drivers side headlight is shining very low, visibility is a few feet. Going to raise it up slightly, just enough to get a bit more distance without blinding opposing traffic!

Little slotted screws behind the headlight itself, yes?

Winter is approaching fast.

My bad weather is already affecting my poor steelies. So today I got some sand paper, 2 cans of primer and 4 gloss black.
A couple hours in very cold weather and the paint finish resembles that of a toasted bagel. But it should hold up for a couple weeks or a month or so until I swap to my winter wheels.

One coat on one wheels and another primered (very poorly I admit)
Ljjsb.jpg

Pretty flat, but all one colour
kbKWI.jpg

No more primer overspray rim
cBlWd.jpg

Camber y0
Nxsnl.jpg

Finish looks a lot like this

6a00d8341c536e53ef00e554198b0d8833-800wi

Winter is approaching fast.

My bad weather is already affecting my poor steelies. So today I got some sand paper, 2 cans of primer and 4 gloss black.
A couple hours in very cold weather and the paint finish resembles that of a toasted bagel. But it should hold up for a couple weeks or a month or so until I swap to my winter wheels.

One coat on one wheels and another primered (very poorly I admit)
Ljjsb.jpg

Pretty flat, but all one colour
kbKWI.jpg

No more primer overspray rim
cBlWd.jpg

Camber y0
Nxsnl.jpg

Finish looks a lot like this

6a00d8341c536e53ef00e554198b0d8833-800wi
What's your method for painting etc mate? I'll be changing mine this week so just wondering some methods with masking and.that

What's your method for painting etc mate? I'll be changing mine this week so just wondering some methods with masking and.that

No method as such, I'm a very amateur painter.

I use sandpaper designed for wood :oops: (25 sheets for £1). Works very well however you're left with a TON of sand afterwards! I tend to just key up the surface.
I usually mask up with newspaper or as you can see just mask with tape where I'd expect overspray.
and I spray with cans in a smooth back and forth motion being careful not to spray too much in one place and get orange peel effect or any runs.
Tend to do 3-4 coats since the paint is so cheap it'd be rude not to!

Not a professional finish but fairly even and this paint quality is fairly average so the outcome can vary wildly! But for the price (£8 for 25 sheets of sandpaper, 2 cans of primer, 4 cans of gloss black and 4 rolls of tape) I don't think it can be done any better.

Haha true! I'll be re doing mine totally, black centres with a white rim, and using my white centre caps still, just wanted to know as Im quite armature to it also lol, still unsure how I'm gonna mask the rim with having to do the centres.. hmm

No method as such, I'm a very amateur painter.

I use sandpaper designed for wood :oops: (25 sheets for £1). Works very well however you're left with a TON of sand afterwards! I tend to just key up the surface.
I usually mask up with newspaper or as you can see just mask with tape where I'd expect overspray.
and I spray with cans in a smooth back and forth motion being careful not to spray too much in one place and get orange peel effect or any runs.
Tend to do 3-4 coats since the paint is so cheap it'd be rude not to!

Not a professional finish but fairly even and this paint quality is fairly average so the outcome can vary wildly! But for the price (£8 for 25 sheets of sandpaper, 2 cans of primer, 4 cans of gloss black and 4 rolls of tape) I don't think it can be done any better.

£8 for all? that is bargain mate. normally, i buy paint spray for £6 each. please can you tell me where do you get these stuff from? btw i need to refurb on my wheels in soon (its got rusty layers)

Yayy, some goodies arrived in the post today.

Two pieces of card and a brown packet :D
9eBqG.jpg

2 new Aeroflat style wipers
06j9G.jpg

And an LED interior light WHICH DOESN'T EVEN FIT!!!!
E9eVg.jpg

I've never fitted wipers (or removed) so I was stood there for a few mins like a monkey scratching his head. Drivers wiper came of easy, but the passenger one was different. After a few minutes, I finally won the battle
FqAFf.jpg

I think they look much nicer. Check Piglet out just chillin' :)
Nt4Pa.jpg

No streaks but they do squeak a tiny bit, but so did my others.

Led light to small? Mine was i just bent one of tge terminals to make it fit i can get a pic later if you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back