• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Pulsar SR20DET 4WD conversion Blog

I'm seeing the car on Sunday. Kristian's currently in the middle of getting a workshop type place where the rest of the work will be done. I believe he's moving into the place Saturday. I'm told it will have the 2.0 in and on a rolling road, on the 8th december, which i'm going up to see.

Didn't get to go up north but still going up on the 8th December.

Eyed up some nice Corbeau seats & 4 point harnesses so will be getting those soon. Also chucking some ideas together on changing the look of the rear end, which should be pretty cool! All will be revealed at some point lol

cant wait!

GET IT ON THE ROAD!

lol

my mega squirt just arrived for the turbo aswell. well excited. get building. lol

just need the intercooler to arrive from japan now :(

hate christmas deliveries lol. everything just slows down stupid amounts!

I REALLY hope this is at the shows next year arnold. make me wanna finish mine, but i also dont want to rush it now after planning bits for so long. i want the turbo setup to be done right first time.

Good luck, i might be going to eyeball this soon aswell ;) depends if i go pick the exhaust up from kristian. hehe

Yeah i really hope it's at shows too! The deadline is Feb, and i don't realistically believe i'l get it back before then. I'd love to have it N/A for Donny, and see about turboing it up for JAE.

Even when the SR20 engine is fitted, it's having a rear brake conversion, roll cage, bodywork & spraying all needing to be done - which is where the extra time is needed!

Well im actually in middle of finishing my rollcage if you want the drafts for it fella!

Mates dad (now that im living darn sarf!) is close to me and he does off road landrover stuff, has all the gear. for bending etc.

what you doing for rear brakes?

I'm not sure. Kristian's looking at the options and sizing things up, so it's in his capable hands.

Just found out the seats i like are side mounted so may need to look at alternatives or different mounting options. I ideally wanted something on subframes

hmmmm

im using RX7 rears if thats any help!

although i SERIOUSLY wanna look into fitting an almera rear axle. but ive also contemplated the idea of the k11, not sized it up etc though

The K11 axle was an idea considered, but anyway, it's in his hands. I'l leave him with the tricky bits whilst i deal with my seat dilemma!

The K11 axle was an idea considered, but anyway, it's in his hands. I'l leave him with the tricky bits whilst i deal with my seat dilemma!

with side mount seats, you normally get, or can get brackets that bolt to the sides. raceworx has side mounts on his carbon border seats and the brackets to his custom sub frames.

Yeah that's the sort of thing i was after. I wouldn't mind side mounted seats but only if they were movable. I'l see if i can get hold of raceworx and see where he got his made up. I've been asked to go down to the Corbeau workshop where they're made. I know ideally i need to get the fixed ones.

Going to see the car on the 8th. Was originally meant to have the 2.0 in for a rolling road but Kristian's having a few issues up there, so not quite sure what the latest is. Hopefully all good! Will be good to see anyway, it's been gone about 7 weeks now.

ooohhh. cant wait, trust memate,ivebeen like that giddy nessof wanting it on the road too!

But i resist fromrushing it.lol.the worse part for me is everything is there to drive the car about. but because i wantit perfect beforei do, i know ifi do i wont spend the time on the body work . plus going turbo now:p whoop!
#
bit earlier than planned hahaha

Dont worry Aronld.. its still making progress!! lol

Been crazy busy at the moment.. and to add to it, I Can't find my digi cam..

So its mobile phone picture time..!

Ive had to make a decision regarding the work on the car..

Basically, Ive just got a New Workshop as Arnold Knows and ive had a few issues with getting fully in.. the last Tenent has REMOVED things he should't have done and hes LEFT some crap he sholdn't have done..

Meanwhile ive been putting off the car to a degree as I didn't want to start the big work incase i could get in before xmas and therefore get the job done much much quicker..

But due to not knowing EXACTLY when I can get in now.. Ive just started the major work at home..

Ive brought most of the parts needed for the conversion to my house and have started.. So, the sooner its moving, the sooner I can get it into the unit !

EeeNnnnEeeeWWWAAAYYY!!..

Ive prepped the block for fitting. Which consists of removing A/C - P/S pumps.. and changing Engine side mounts with N15 GTI ones ( Slightly smaller and AS NEW condition ), quick examination and labeling certain things, trimming electrics and some minor stripping..

Ive removed the rest of what needs to be removed for the time being from the engine bay, plastics and wiring.. some will be going back in, most wont..

This gives me as much manouverability as possible for sighting in the shafts and linkages.. etc

Engine Bay Plastics will be going back in and trimmed up to suit nearer the end of the engine work..

Ive sourced an N15 GTI Radiator with dual Electric fans as I think this is Probably as good a fit as Im going to get, makes plumbing 'upfront' easier. also its a Rad made for the SR20

Plan now is to situate the engine in the ideal position..

Allowing Bush movement ( ;p )
Reasonable Access to most of engine once its in
Shaft and CV Joint Cleareance
Neat electrics and plumbing..
Usable Exhaust Route

dsc00002of6.jpg

dsc00009tg1.jpg

dsc00008fg5.jpg

Ive tried it, in what I think is the ideal place in it fits quite nicely, but ive got to pick up an N15 Underbrace and mount 1st thing before I can situate properly..

dsc00012nm2.jpg

( ^^the front of the car is elevated and the engine is actually sat on the floor here ^^ )

Il find out tomorrow morning if im in work or not.. and If im not then It should be mounted and running tomorrow night..

Woo!

Either way its going to be running and drivable by the end of the week..

Looking great mate! Just had to remove a couple of posts, as that side of the car won't be revealed until the end! I'l drop you a PM :)

To the people who got a sneek preview - Shhhhhhhhh!! :p

The car's been stripped pretty much and loads of it's been sold. I've bought myself some Corbeau seats & Sparco 4 point harnesses, which will be on Kristian's long list of things to fit lol.

Have the exhaust coming straight out the front bumper, then you don't have to worry about getting it to the back lol.

Na, i'm not doing that! I'm trying to keep it looking relativly normal.. well, i say normal, it's having loads of body work done!

Yeah, finish the exhaust off somewhere under the car, and fit a tiny fake peashooter exhaust on the back, say 2cm wide!
:)

No the stickers are going. They were good for the show, and bought my website thousands more hits (surprisingly) but they've got to go lol.

The car is in a mess. I only took one as the ones posted above are pretty much how it stands now.

Starting off with ~150bhp NA I guess? That'll run pretty nicely! Is the car being totally stripped out, or will you still have an interior?

If you turbo it then I'm going to want a ride in it once its done...!

Guess you are also having the Primera gearbox put into your car?

Nice!

The rear seats have gone, and won't be coming back. The rest of the interior will remain in place, with the inclusion of a roll cage, harnesses and Corbeau seats. I'll be leaving the dashboard, door cards etc and other plastics there, so it'l still feel pretty normal inside.

The rear seats have gone, and won't be coming back. The rest of the interior will remain in place, with the inclusion of a roll cage, harnesses and Corbeau seats. I'll be leaving the dashboard, door cards etc and other plastics there, so it'l still feel pretty normal inside.

good idea mate the door cards and platics weigh hardly anything and when your running an sr20 it will make no difference at all, driving my k10 back from yours with rear seats and 2 sets of front seats made no difference to the performance, maybe it it was a standard ma10 it would slow her down but not anymore ;)

Little bit of a pre-update.. ( expect pics and hopefully a video within next couple of days )

Well ive been busy busy busy with work for the car..

..with the weather being SO SO SO cold recently.. Ive cracked on with the routine engine service.. ( oil, filter, plugs, Dizzycap & arm cleaning )

Ive got the Complete engine loom pretty much how I want it .. This is a time consuming process as its Serious amounts of stripping and crimping and taping up and zip-tieing and taping up... you get the idea..

The body mods have been started and some have been completed, however Im not allowed to post images of these..

Ive briefly had the engine hoisted in the bay and ticking over ( running ) with the custom loom to make sure its ok.. and I just need a good day to finish the mounts now and I can crack on with the exhaust and engine plumbing and Washer bottle Plumbing..

The Cage needs to be addressed now.. as there will be lots of welding going on after the engine is situated, and then removed.. and I want this in sooner rather than later..

looking good !

Little bit of a pre-update.. ( expect pics and hopefully a video within next couple of days )

Well ive been busy busy busy with work for the car..

..with the weather being SO SO SO cold recently.. Ive cracked on with the routine engine service.. ( oil, filter, plugs, Dizzycap & arm cleaning )

Ive got the Complete engine loom pretty much how I want it .. This is a time consuming process as its Serious amounts of stripping and crimping and taping up and zip-tieing and taping up... you get the idea..

The body mods have been started and some have been completed, however Im not allowed to post images of these..

Ive briefly had the engine hoisted in the bay and ticking over ( running ) with the custom loom to make sure its ok.. and I just need a good day to finish the mounts now and I can crack on with the exhaust and engine plumbing and Washer bottle Plumbing..

The Cage needs to be addressed now.. as there will be lots of welding going on after the engine is situated, and then removed.. and I want this in sooner rather than later..

looking good !

Feel free to email the images to me mate! trance_dj @ hotmail.com - I'l give you a ring tomorrow.

Ok, well a large part of the drivetrain has finally been sorted..

Ive fitted:

PolyBushed K11 Wishbones, with Whiteline straps..
N14 GTIR Calipers
N14 GTIR Vented discs
N14 GTIR Brake Pads
K11 Hubs
K10 Shocks and uprated springs.. ( Only temp - Will be changed for k11 ones.. coils Im thinking.. )

Due to a design decision, Ive got a problem now.. One of the shafts is too long.. and the feed and return for the internal heating are in the way..

With the Layout of the K10 engine bay and the position of the hubs in relation to the main body of the block..

Ive decided to move the engine further back than originally Thought..

This is down to the fact that ive trial fitted the brakes, shafts, Radiator, alternator etc.. and there is now ideal place for it..

This is normal practice and will save stress in the long run..

With the shortening of the passenger side shaft about 2'' this has positioned the engine & Box with Dead Straight Shafts.. and Plenty of room up front now for the Radiator and possible future intercooler..

This is all in addition to the better weight distribution..

So all in all im very very pleased with the results..

Everything is much easier from here.. Ive just got to shorten the shaft and get it back in.. fabricate some plumbing to re-route the fed and return.. then fabricate the final mounts..

Images of some of the changes:

Big brakes anyone?

cimg2569cs3.jpg

A nice snug fit..

cimg2572kx7.jpg

Radiator fits nicely..

cimg2576lo6.jpg

Kinda hard to make out but the shafts are sweetly situated now..

cimg2573qg2.jpg

I think a good week should see the mechanics finished...

Ill Pm you now about other things Arnold..

It would probably be a good idea to put the break calipers on the right way up before you try to fill with oil ;) Otherwise looking like things are happening now. Good stuff.

It would probably be a good idea to put the break calipers on the right way up before you try to fill with oil ;) Otherwise looking like things are happening now. Good stuff.

lol, i never noticed untill i saw your post. :s

Only situated for spacing/cleareance purposes.. Was the nearest caliper to hand..

still..

Glad to know your paying attention!

Progress is looking great mate! Seems to be quite a bit of work since i came up.

Will read & reply to your PM in a minute.

Back