• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Pulsar SR20DET 4WD conversion Blog

bloody hell this is cracking on nicely! ill be fitting some pulsar calipers this year god knows i need it had a few interesting moments when taking people out in it, curtis did know at the time then i took him out but at one put i was unsure the car would stop :p

and that rad looks perfect too may have to get myself one :p

Yeah the pictures only show part of the transformation! There's so much going on, it's going to be quite a lot of fun to drive. Kristian's away now for the next 10 days or so, so wont be much happening in the meantime.

Decided to inject a bit more money into it (!) and convert it to 4wd. Should make handling, grip etc considerably better, and prevent / reduce understeer.

Kristian will do another update when further progress has been made.

Yeah pretty much! I'd be quite disapointed if the project was completed as a fwd, and i'd be unable to keep the power down or drive round corners. Work was due to be done on the rear axle anyway, but it just means getting it right the first time round. It also means i can go a little crazier on the turbo side of things lol.

not to put a downer on things but i have serious doubts about this getting finished now.

would be awesome if it did like.

That's all in Kristian's capable hands. I don't recall this ever being done to a K10, so i imagine some research and sizing up will be required.

Yeah that's why I mentioned the Alto, it's the only small car I've heard of that's 4wd.
You're going to need a lot of custom parts lol. Good luck anyway, can't wait to see it finished.

how come you think that fella? Do you know something i don't? lol

no no mate just i would say compared to doing the engine conversion, to making it 4wd would be a hell of alot more involved, and for 1 person to do it, with no prior experience would be even harder.

good luck with it like, how much time are you adding onto the build now? id say at least a year or two lol.

i've already said to K that if he isn't able to do any aspect of the project then it shouldn't be done, but im quite optimistic and confident in his capabiliities. If he couldn't do it, i'm sure he wouldn't have said yes :) If it takes longer, it takes longer. I'm fortunate enough to not need a car on a day to day basis!

well arnold i must say!

good luck!

you seem like me about a year and ahalf ago when i had the oppertunty to get hold of a tranbox so was gonna drop an engine in the back of a micra! lol

all i can say is good luck!

that will take SOME work!

gonna have to make a tranny tunnel etc!

Well there's no seats, interior, anything, so perfect opportunity to do further chassis work, and with the engine out, some work can be done to the bulkhead. If K can't do it then i'l stick with Fwd, still not going to complain about having the 2.0 in there! but extra handling and power potential would be rather nice! :D

Kristian's able to answer the chassis questions mate, i'm leaving that in his capable hands.

Haven't looked into LSD just yet, not sure if this is necessary or the costs. I believe he's been looking into a 4wd option for his K11, so will know a bit more about what's involved, required etc.

I wouldn't put myself in a position where there was a possibility to NOT finish a project under ANY circumstances..

This car is having MUCH MUCH more work than most people think..

People on this forum think that Micras are all that I do.. they only see a fraction of my mechanical work.. Only the Micra Body mods are really shown..

Anyway.. small update

Some Body mods are totally finished.. some more have been started.

Sourced the extra parts needed.. Picking them up on Wednesday hopefully...

..and the cage has been ordered..

Big changes now in the next two weeks..

QUICKY: Theres conciderable seam and stitch welding being done.. not just the engine bay..

..The lsd is somthing thats not needed but if Arnold wants one at a later date, this can all be added... Its basically going to be a Plusar GTIR drivetrain.

Alan's not revealing what other work is being done until the car is complete and unveiled. It might even be, if you want to see it, be at JAE this year. LOL

Arnold I would really re-consider the 4x4 aspect on this. I know the pulsar VERY VERY well its simply not realistic to do this without pratically rebuilding the whole underside of the K10. I now fear I must admit that this project may have suddenly got much bigger than you may imagine. There are so many pitfalls I see in this, its foolish to complicate something so much when its not even worked yet in the first place.

Unfortunately Alan knows i agree with that one!! The way i see it now is that it'll never get finished. Not because K isn't capable, but because it's pointless work on such a flimsy shell. And of course i'm getting more worried now about him driving it!

It'll be amazing! lol, but I also share these concerns, mostly because it's my car and this has never been done before, but just think how amazing it'l be once it's complete! As she stands, i can't drive it anyway - so i haven't got much to lose, apart from a bit more money.

Kristian hasn't yet started the rear conversion, and i'm sure will inspect the car and what's required before any work for this is under taken. If it's too much, or too difficult, then i'm quite happy to leave it Fwd, it'l still be amazing, but i trust Kristian with his decisions, and only he knows what he's capable of doing.

Converting it to 4wd will make it safer to drive Ems. It'l be alot more predictable anyway! With fwd, you could never really predict the amount of understeer on a bend. I've also got the rollcage coming and the harnesses / seats have arrived. You've got alot more chance of injury on those bikes than i have in this car.

Not very!! but i'd rather improve the handling with the extra power than to take my chances.

Arnold, ive talked to you regarding this on msn etc!

But, and this is my HONEST HONEST opinion LEAVE the rwd alone!

Since this started i must have had at least a douzen people telling me yours is gonna be road worthy before mine!

But just as i told Batch im not fussed about which one is road worthy first etc!

But i really do think that if you go ahead with it! you will be left ALONG time without the car.

Just like any conversion i personally believe you should get the 2ltr in, make sure it runs well, then turbo it. once that is stable and running well you can look into th erwd thing. but it just seems to be biting off more than you can chew type thing!

Again K! only knows what he capable of, but it not a matter of that, i think it just lots of work all in one go, if somthing goes wroing the lot will be failure and i DESPERATELY wanna see another k10 2ltr on the road!

id rather see yours on the road

(but i just had a big fat commision cheque come in too so my money is sorted, just need time to work now :p)

This is getting a little out of hand now...

Can we leave this alone please and let the finished article do the talking..

Theres a lot of wrong information flying about here..

People think I am unfamilier with the Pulsar, and with drastic changes to a micra chassis. People also think im a one man operation.. Im not.

This Is NOT going to take much longer than expected to be finished..

This going to prove a lot of people wrong when its finished..

IM NOT going to get into this any further..

If you have doubts, please voice them in 2 months time which is when this will be nearing completion..

No offence Kristian, but we have yet to see a completed conversion in any shape or form from you. I personally think its now totally unrealistic given the two month time scale you have given. Its already been two months and it seems basic stuff has still yet to be done.

You say it will prove a lot of people wrong, however you do now have a lot to prove, and I think you need to as well or you may end up with a reputation you don't need/want.

Even then I don't believe there is the budget there (Ok I am guessing) to do the job properly.

I am simply stating an observation from this thread. But perhaps this thread should be moved until its done if you don't want others opinions etc.

i keep hearing people say that this has never been done befor but i definatly remember a 4wd 2ltr conversion from malaysia so it has been done before so is possible.

Edit- Found the thread

http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=17691&highlight=malaysia

is this not proof that this is an achievable project? maybe not within the given time scales and budget but if Kristian has a reputation to think of then i doubt he's going to jump into this without putting alot of thought and research into it. thats just my opinion.

but if Kristian has a reputation to think of then i doubt he's going to jump into this without putting alot of thought and research into it. thats just my opinion.

I totally agree, which is why i'm putting my money / car on this, and trust in him to complete the project as planned. I'm not sure why budget is coming into question here, i've already stated this is not a bodge conversion. This isn't all being done for a crate of beers and a few quid! Also, the project has always had a proposed deadline for completion, but with the addition of things i've requested here and there since the beginning, is not surprisingly going to extend the deadline. If it doesn't make the first show, then it doesn't make it. It's unfortunate, but i'd rather the additional time was put in to ensure the job is done correctly first time round, and i'm assured this is going to happen.

Remember, not all the current progress has been posted on the MSC - there's stuff being hidden until the end.

this may sound silly to some but i've had no experiance with 4wd conversions (well any conversion) so why would it be far more difficult to convert to 4wd using the pulsar running gear?

good luck with the project guys sounds awesome, if you pull it off its gonna be one HELL of a machine.

One thing i would say tho is try to stick to your deadlines, projects can easily run over and then you may loose interest. I would advise getting the car back on the road within a couple of months to avoid any chance of loosing interest in it otherwise it will be a waste ;)

best of luck to you. if its at JAE i am totally being taken out for a spin in it and taking the camera with me ;) hope you dont mind arnold lol

best of luck to you. if its at JAE i am totally being taken out for a spin in it and taking the camera with me ;) hope you dont mind arnold lol

Yeah mate no worries! I imagine you won't be the only one wanting a spin!

this may sound silly to some but i've had no experiance with 4wd conversions (well any conversion) so why would it be far more difficult to convert to 4wd using the pulsar running gear?

The rear of a GTi-R is different to that of a standard N14. Instead of having what is essentially a girder for a rear axle, it has a subframe that the transmission (Diff, Driveshafts etc) and suspension mount onto. Therefore the back of the K10 will have to be redesigned to account for this otherwise it will handle like an absolute pig. Custom subframe I guess?

Custom Subframe: no..

Custom Floorpan: yes..

The only things that a prolonging the date of completion, are the Raft of body mods, some additional parts decided upon, and the delivery of items..

..due to the bad weather before xmas and the problems with my unit, ive been getting on with bodywork earlier than thought.. no time lost overall..

how long left now till done.....
i need to see it!!!!

how much of the outside have you done. come on you can tell us:wasntme:

Back