• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Pulsar SR20DET 4WD conversion Blog

Yeah i'm looking forward to taking it round a couple of tracks. That Pistonheads event at Brands Hatch later in the year looks perfect! Although Donny would be fun too.

Yeah i'm looking forward to taking it round a couple of tracks. That Pistonheads event at Brands Hatch later in the year looks perfect! Although Donny would be fun too.
If you do, get some training days sorted or at the very least take it easy, track driving is VERY different to bombing along country lanes. My mate does it and told me theres a LOT of things to learn!

yeah sounds ideal. I don't think i'm Schumacher by any means, and I don't want mine to do a Little Bandit style finish at a race track either!

personally I think this may class as a kit car now with the amount of modifications and changes made.

usually with an engine swap, you just inform the DVLA of it's capacity etc,

Kev

It's hardly a kit car, however a Q plate would be quite cool. The DVLA only needs to be made aware of the engine change. It's possible the car will need an inspection by VOSA before it's MOT'd or Insured, to show it's safe :)

Insurance estimate received, thank god for nearly 5 years no claims and being 25 next month!

Alan will be getting some track training soon anyway. His crimbo prezzie from me was a rally course. So hopefully that'll teach him a thing or two.

It's hardly a kit car, however a Q plate would be quite cool. The DVLA only needs to be made aware of the engine change.

Why just the engine change and not the transformation to 4wd? as it will currently show up as 2wd on your V5 document.

The V5 doesn't mention anything about 2 or 4wd. Only Axles, which will remain the same

Apparently the roll cage has arrived, and the Pulsar fuel tank is on, but I'll ask K to do another update :)

I haven't spoken to Kristian since i spoke to you, so I don't know what the latest is :p

I know Im letting everybody down at the moment with the lack of an update..

I cannot stress this enough..

There is an Awesome amount of fabrication ( cutting, trimming, grinding, welding ) involved in this project, at this point in time.. which is Very, Very labourous and time consuming .. but worth it in the long run im sure you will agree..

Theres DEFINATLY a huge update this Coming week..

The rollcage is at least on standby until the rear suspension turrets are finished..

This is a BRAND New OMP 10x point RollCage with door bars, these are not Yet fitted untill the cage is in..

There is then further fabrication with this to stiffen up the car right up..

cimg2625ev2.jpg

cimg2623rn7.jpg

Im going to be weighing this before its fitted..

( please ignore the randomly placed SR20's ( theres more than one in the pics ) lol )

..And this is inside my new workshop too..! Woop!

As said in PM, glad the cage has arrived! will look forward to seeing some of the metal modifying you have carried out!

Been hella busy recently..

..but made a tonne of progress also. So, SORRY for the late update. Im sure ill make it up with this one..

Theres been a crazy amount of cutting and shaping done.. but everything is going to plan..

I'll let the pictures do 'most' of the talking.. Suffice to say we are a little behind schedule due to unforseen personal circumstances, additional Bodymods and waiting on some parts.. mainly the rollcage. Im aiming now for a completion date of around 4/6 weeks.. Inclusive of painting and a Dyno Run..

Everything from here on in is straight forward, and progressing nicely.. Ive arranged some 'extra heads'. ( as we call them in the building trade ). Ive got a Nissan Tech who has and will be visiting during the next couple of weeks. He will be advising in certain areas. An independant MOT tester, is only a few Workshops down, and is on hand to advise on issues that may possibly be of concern. This means the car doesn't have to leave the compound in order to be examined..

Ive done this to catch early any potential hangups, that i might of missed in the build..

..anyway.. This last few weeks weve been mostly working on the rear wheel drive build..

GTIR donor car, and associated dismantling:

cimg2644mn4.jpg

cimg2640va8.jpg

cimg2650pt3.jpg

Pretty much everything has been removed, including the floorpan.. ( Whats left of the car can be seen on its nose in the corner of the workshop in some images.. )

K3, Arnolds K10:

A few images of the proceedings.. ( please be aware that im not allowed to show any bodywork modifications not relating to the 4wd conversion/engine work.. )

Some floorpan adjustment..

cimg2675nm2.jpg

cimg2683xx0.jpg

cimg2674pl4.jpg

Rollcage trial fitting..

cimg2727or0.jpg

New suspension orientation..

cimg2695pv5.jpg

Flintstones styleeeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeee:

cimg2690on1.jpg

Some rust issues to be sorted:

cimg2691ze0.jpg

Should have a VERY Factory finish when completed... Spacer saver wheel will be included ;p

cimg2721zt0.jpg

cimg2724ya8.jpg

cimg2723fl0.jpg

Another update after this coming week..

Wow! What a transformation. Looking forward to seeing this tomorrow :D

Hardest part of the project will be getting those stickers off the side lol

Wouldnt it have been easier to just bung the K10 body onto the GTiR chassis? ;)

Thats fricking mental!

I think I may know who'll win best in show at JAE....lol

this is all great stuff, real awsome work here. but i get the feeling that this has become more of a GTiR with k10 body panels kinda thing. it looks like the only part of the original car left is the body work. what i'm getting at is that it dosent seem like its a modded k10 anymore. more like a GTiR modded to look like a k10 if ya get me. not putting a downer on this or anything, but if it was my choice i would have stayed with the straight engine conversion, but then again its about putting the power down soooo. either way this is an awsome project and am looking foward to seeing some power figures. (Y)

this is all great stuff, real awsome work here. but i get the feeling that this has become more of a GTiR with k10 body panels kinda thing. it looks like the only part of the original car left is the body work. what i'm getting at is that it dosent seem like its a modded k10 anymore. more like a GTiR modded to look like a k10 if ya get me. not putting a downer on this or anything, but if it was my choice i would have stayed with the straight engine conversion, but then again its about putting the power down soooo. either way this is an awsome project and am looking foward to seeing some power figures. (Y)

When the project is done, it will still have the appearance of a micra, just modified. When the tints are back in, the inside put back together etc, you wouldn't even notice the floor had been changed inside. To the untrained eye, it would look the same. You obviously won't be able to see the running gear underneath, and the engine will be invisible under the bonnet.

A standard engine conversion was my original plan, but for power, safety, and for the fun of it, the 4wd seemed like the best and safest option for such conversion. Its lighter than the K11 shell, and the extra braking and handling is a lot more reassuring for me! It also opens up the opportunity of additional power, being able to get it on the road.

will DVLA categorize it as a kit car :confused:

Bring on the Q plate!! Lol. I'm not sure, will need to query that nearer the time.

Well he wont have car audio (well, doubt it?!)

Who knows! I don't know what room i have to play with. I do love my sounds though!

i think that more or less what he's done :suspect:

what i'm getting at is that it dosent seem like its a modded k10 anymore. more like a GTiR modded to look like a k10 if ya get me.

In response to these perfectly valid opinions.... I think people are possibly missing the point a bit..

IF you actually did it the other way around, as in, moved the k10 shell onto the GTIR chassis.. then the car would look much different..

If you parked another 3 door K10 next to it, then the difference would be glaringly obvious..it would look out of porportion. Much longer, and wider..

Doing it this way keeps the original porportions. This car will look near enough identical to another mildly modified k10..

Alloys, exhaust, tints.. etc..

Only under the bonnet and underneath the car will be obviously different..

.. less obvious are the different rear suspension mounts inside the car, and wider track ...

Also.. where people opinions of what remains of the car being original k10 differ.. its still definatly a k10.. would a bike engine in the back make it more of a Suzuki bandit..?

What cannot be argued about is what it says on the logbook, and what the average man in the street will think, when its driven past... its a micra...

THIS is the point of creating a sleeper, and somthing VERY unique at the same time.. individuality and the element of surprise..

Sneaky pic..

dsc00191dr2.jpg

^^ Somewhere to hang the air freshener? ^^

Back