• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Pulsar SR20DET 4WD conversion Blog

kristian

One Way Mule
Hi guys,..

Just a quick statement before I throw a few pictures up..

I took on this project knowing there was a mountain of work involved..

Quite how long some of the nitty gritty work has taken though, has blown me away..!!!..

Every part of the project is different and the Front clip conversion on this has really pushed the boundaries of what can/has been done...

Although in the same breath its taken hours and hours of my time.. and the time of people ive brought in to help with the project..

The project:

There has been meticlous but steady progress made with the project.. Which im very pleased with..

Unfortunatly.. most of it will hardly be seen as its all in the fabrication side of things.... and inheriently with this type of work.. its 95% fabrication..

Some of you will have to take my words for it that this is no easy task.. its not a weekend job.. or even a month of work job.. This takes Hours and hours..

Removing parts. Measuring. Refitting. Measuring Removing parts again and making a cut..

Phew. Its going to be worth it in the end..

Im renaging on previous statments on build times, but with the addition of a beefy Power Steering rack and GTIR front suspension.. changing the Partial front clip was the only sensible option.. other than k11 coilovers and strengthening. This however has increased the build time tremendiously..

-Engine bay-

In order to do this work 100%. Extreme care and attention must go into some of the simplest tasks... Measureing and Remeasuring. Cutting up a Pulsar GTIR into VERY small parts, most of which are required, is a painstaking task to perform correctly.
Ultimately though this car will be running a GTIR powered-Steering steering Rack, and column. Full factory GTIR Mounts ( all of them...!!! ) Factory Wishbones, hubs, GTIR coilovers ( with 3bolt factory fitment and CAMBER ADJUSTMENT ), Calipers-Discs-Pads, Firewall, Brake servo assister and Master cylinder ( Converted to NON ABS ), GTIR HYDRAULIC clutch, GTIR throttle cable and brake Assembly.. All GTIR Pedals, GTIR Gear Selector and handbrake..

The list goes on..

Things to remain K10 are Bonnet Release cable and catch, Wiper Motor ( inc arms and all the assosiated assembily, Complete factory scuttle tray.. This hasn't been touched.. )
K10 Front bumper mounts and supports, around 30% inner wings are K10

From the outside this will look like any other k10 with alloy wheels on....

Its probably a little pointless to post these pictures as they might be hard to make out, and most of it wont actually mean much to most of you..

pict0009ij1.jpg

pict0006xm6.jpg

This is a fully functioning engine bay.. Which could realy be stuck into any car.. ???!!

Getting to this stage has proved massivly time consuming and I apriciate ARNOLDS Patience and support.. ( really do pal! xx )

Its completing the job properly and professionally thats crucial here.. above all..

This is going to be probably the wildest micra any of us have seen..

What to expect-

Well ive just had a short break away ( Much needed :) ) after the last completed part..

Expect somthing very special this coming week..

Dont really want to show too much JUST now.. I was going to show all the update now now but I just want to finish off a few things first..

Thanks for the enthusiasm guys! ( excuse the poor spelling and grammer.. im exhausted kol! )

Antony

Ex. Club Member
this looks like a magazine feature car.... maybe banzai, definately car and car conversions.

this project has legendary Potential written all over it, and could very well be the best and fastest most exclusive micra ever produced.

lets hope were finished for jae guys, and iff not, stick it on a trailer and show it off at jae!!!

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
Flipping eck, so its pretty much not a K10 at all, with the whole bulkhead/suspension area basically being a GTi-R?! Nutty.

Will this thing need an expection once finished?

Edit: I meant an inspection!

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Nice work K. Look forward to seeing more photos etc! Really can't wait to get my hands on it! I need to buy a few more bits for the beast :D

I imagine an inspection by VOSA will be required when it's completed. Bring on the Q plate! lol

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
The blur was to give the impression it's identity is yet not clear, and the fact the car will be pretty quick when it's done! Looked a bit better than a picture of my car with a ? over it lol.

And i was working in grayscale in photoshop and thought it looked better than red, so wasn't to imply the car is changing colour, just makes the image look a bit better.

I spoke to Kristian for over an hour tonight, so covered a few more topics on the car. Security, Engine tuning and obviously the things that are currently happening. Should hopefully see another update on here later in the week.

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Hi all

Just to say that K's hit a bit of a problem. In short, the transfer box does not fit onto the SR20 block from the Primera! That obviously means the only alternative is to use a GTI-R engine from the Pulsar. 220Bhp instead of 150bhp.. not complaining there, but the one in the donor car is crap and i need to find another one.

K can continue to use the crap one in order to do mounting/links/wiring etc and a decent one with mild tuning will be fitted when ready.

Will hopefully see an update from K soon, but he's obviously pretty busy. :)

kristian

One Way Mule
Weve run into an issue with the transfer box..

The GTIR drivetrain is all useable on the primera apart from the front transfer box..

Weve had over a week getting the gearbox,clutch, flywheel on etc.. and theres just no reasonable way of getting the transfer box to fit..

It fits the gearbox fine.. which is where it bolts onto.. its just the Lower point of the bottom half of the engine fouls the transfer box casing by about 15mm..

Weve removed any castings related to fixings and Fwd drivetrain.. still not close enough though..

Un-beknown to me, a bare shortblock SR20 is vastly different between a GTIR and any other SR20's weve looked at.. ( N15,P10,S14 ) in this specific area.. and only really noticably in this area.. So no other NA or Turbo SR20 is suitable, bar a RNN14 GTIR one..

Its a learning process..

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Yeah, but it will have a FMIC, uprated fuel pump, engine management, replacement turbo & forged internals + a few bits more which will probably all increase the bhp a little ;)

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I don't see why it won't be done for JAE. All down to Kristan tho really! (no pressure mate ;))

kristian

One Way Mule
Engine will be in this weekend..

Ive got a load of pics to put up but really trying for the important one..

Had a small hold up with the k10 chassis but thats sorted now..

I dont really want to show more until there is something to show..

We had a Good run with the work last night.. So im over the moon!..

The whole last 2 months kinda came into fruition last night.. so weve got a few days of fixing now to see some wheels and panels on the car...

Then thats a massive change in the car.. probably the biggest yet..

..back in tonight and all weekend..

kristian

One Way Mule
My points exactly speedle..

Here is an up to date development..

Engine in.. for measureing pusposes..

These being, the propshaft, steering column, dash, brakelines etc..

I hope some of you can see how this is going to look very factory when its finished..

Externally the car should look like a mildly modified K10..

( 'Tinter cooler is in for a quick measuring up.. its only one I had to hand..)

Ill let the pictures do the talking..

.. sleeper anyone?

pict0053om9.jpg

pict0054gs5.jpg

01062008622ap6.jpg

pict0049bp4.jpg

pict0052si0.jpg

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Looks great! I'm interested to see a bit more on the engine bay fitting into the K10 / Welding to car.. that sort of stuff!

I was asked about 50 times at Santa Pod yesterday.. when will it be completed! (if we were to use that SR20, not the tuned up one). Any rough idea fella?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
I have fitted loads of those intercoolers, truth is its totally ridiculous to try and get one on a K10. I think I even put almost an exact same photo on the msc some years ago. But then I didn't want to destroy the front chassis. I guess its not a problem in this case.

kristian

One Way Mule
Looks great! I'm interested to see a bit more on the engine bay fitting into the K10 / Welding to car.. that sort of stuff!

I was asked about 50 times at Santa Pod yesterday.. when will it be completed! (if we were to use that SR20, not the tuned up one). Any rough idea fella?

..got loads of pictures of the work being done..

Theres mountins left to do..

But progress all the same..

This SR20 needs a rebuild..

The other is possibly useable with a minor rebuild

I have fitted loads of those intercoolers, truth is its totally ridiculous to try and get one on a K10. I think I even put almost an exact same photo on the msc some years ago. But then I didn't want to destroy the front chassis. I guess its not a problem in this case.

( 'Tinter cooler is in for a quick measuring up.. its only one I had to hand..)

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I think those wheels are too big :) The ones i am buying have a higher offset, and should tuck them back into the arches

quickdraw

Ex. Club Member
i thought this was further on than this?

i been waiting to see a running version for ages.

was expecting to see the engine in and the car running etc but ehn just need external body work..

looks LOTS of work left to do..

i hope this is at JAE as i have planned on being there for this and 1 other car alone. lol

:|

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
hmm flaired rear arches perhaps...... ;) that bonnet's hiding something back there! :p

the floorpan welded back in now K?

kristian

One Way Mule
Theres an incredible amount of labour going into this right now.

Basically into fabrication..

This is taking a very long time. Anyone whos built a custom car or done a huge restoration on somthing very old could imagine..

The massive extra work is encompassed in having a GTIR Powersteering rack. and front suspension housings, pedal assembily and brake servo..

Ill have an update very soon with the latest on the fabrication.. and the final fitment of the cage hopfully..

quickdraw

Ex. Club Member
i dont want to #### on this or any thing, but i honestly think it is starting to get a bit silly with the amount of work going into it.

especially a pricing side of things.

if it completes and is to grade standard then yes it will be awesome, but, i dunno i just think it gettign too much.

i thought i was silly just putting the DEt into the car, never mind this extremity of work

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
It is a lot of work, but that doesn't mean the project won't be successful, it just takes longer. Nobody has more concern for the overall outcome of this than myself, as it's my car, and my money that's gone into it, and i'm sure Kristian wouldn't spend his time doing the end goal wasn't achievable.

How can you put a realistic timescale on a project that's never really been done before, and costs are bound to escilate depending on things that arise, but I'm also spending money on bits that will improve handling, power, appearance etc. Some of the bodywork i've requested has delayed things too.

The fabrication side is extremely important, especially for the car to pass all relevant safety tests when it's completed. The last thing I want is the floor falling out etc when the car's in my possession!

kristian

One Way Mule
Anyone who has seen my finished work knows that Im a perfectionist and my Standards are HIGH.

I take great pride in my work. In how it looks and performs..

This is not being rushed fior anyone.. That would only defeat the purpose of doing it..

It will blow people away when its finished..

..with that in mind, I hope people can try and appriciate how much time work like this takes.. Work like this, never gets done to cars like this. Which means theres nothing to compare it to in terms of amount of man-hours.

Im very pleased with the rate of work done for how long weve had the car..

Including all the bodywork.. and the standard to which this work has been done.

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
Anyone who has seen my finished work knows that Im a perfectionist and my Standards are HIGH.

I take great pride in my work. In how it looks and performs..

This is not being rushed fior anyone.. That would only defeat the purpose of doing it..

It will blow people away when its finished..

..with that in mind, I hope people can try and appriciate how much time work like this takes.. Work like this, never gets done to cars like this. Which means theres nothing to compare it to in terms of amount of man-hours.

Im very pleased with the rate of work done for how long weve had the car..

Including all the bodywork.. and the standard to which this work has been done.

i don't know why people are getting funny about the time this is taking. Doing things PROPERLY requires time, bodging (which K is clearly NOT doing) an sr20 in a k10 takes no time. ....

and the comments from some people here are a bit bloddy rich! i've seen K's work on his other cars and i have to say its meticulous and very impressive. and I've seen work from others on here taking digs at K and their work was shockingly crap...

curtis

Ex. Club Member
this will be mint when its finished and should take as long as it does...mainly for the safety asspects to be done! Lets just hope it lasts longer than the litt5e bandit

quickdraw

Ex. Club Member
who mentioned K's work?

i never..

i just said the amount thats getting done to it, nothing to do with quality.

i know it takes time.. from the updates i had seen and from talking to arnold etc, i genuinly thought it was further on than it is. thats why it shocked me.

then evertime i log on to check its progress more and more things keep adding to it :p which i know exactly why that happens cos i do it myself.

and know exactly the time it takes to get one of pieces fabricated.

arnold is planning on using the car all the time, so the car has to handle alot more day to day abuse.

but any ways yeah...

who mentioned K's work ability?

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Lets just hope it lasts longer than the litt5e bandit

yeah thats a good point, when this car is complete it is going to be f'ing leathol, just take care when getting used to it :grinning:

any chance on finding out how much the car owes you at the minute or an estimate for completion costs? I know first hand how expensive modifying can be so i can only imagine the costs so far. might be usefull for others, oh and kristian, would you do another one of these once this is complete now knowing how many man hours it takes?

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
It seems K took your comment the wrong way lol

It's understandable really, as when you put so much effort into something, and it gets shot down before anyone's really seen the true result. The pictures won't show how much work has gone into it.

I know people are just concerned though, so just be patient and lets see what Kristian's come up with!

As for costs... I'l get back to you!

Corbs

Ex. Club Member
Arnold, please be careful when you have it! 220hp is a lot to handle in a small car, I know you arent an idiot and wont think it will be the same as the original engine, but do be careful with it. Last thing you want is to end up with a wreck and a hole in your wallet.
On another note, are you doing any aftermarket handling mods? A friend with a GTiR says the handling is rubbish.

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Yeah i'm aware it's gonna be like learning to drive all over again! When I had my car before, I was very confident in how it handled! Perfect suspension/tyres etc. I'm gonna treat this car with alot of care :devil:

So upgrades... The car has a wider track than your average micra, so should assist (i think) in handling. The wheels are being upsized to 15's, a bit more rubber on the road... will also help get the power down. I know the pulsar guys run 17's, but that would look rediculous on a K10.

The suspension i think at the moment is standard pulsar lowering springs. As the car doesn't weigh as much, it's probably still sitting a bit too high (from looking at the pictures), so will go down the coilover route.

Now that the inside / engine bay are both pulsar, i might be able to get some whiteline upgradable bits to suit the car. I don't know exactly what upgrades of these i'l be able to fit until i've spoken to K again, but should be able to fit the front & rear strut braces (assuming there's room under the bonnet for it!) There's also a 10 point OMP roll cage going in there, and buckets/harnesses to stop me falling out.

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I've asked Kristian to refund the money that i've invested, and he can keep the car. Doesn't mean the project has come to an end, it just allows him to continue it in his own time / pace with out the pressure of it being done. I then have the option of buying it back when it's completed.

The above was one of his suggested options

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
I've asked Kristian to refund the money that i've invested, and he can keep the car. Doesn't mean the project has come to an end, it just allows him to continue it in his own time / pace with out the pressure of it being done. I then have the option of buying it back when it's completed.

very fair IMO something he doesnt have to do! its good to see there are some gentlemen left in this world! but either way i hope it gets done! and a shame to lose a car that ive seen built up over all these years (and helped build)! :(

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member

I'd bite his hand off, how much are you looking at getting back?

OP
OP
Arnold

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
£2400 (everything i invested to date) + all the parts i have bought. Kristian is fine with this