• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

my micra project 'Rollerskate'

B

blobbletec

my micra project 'Roll-low-skate'

*Self edit Thought i would move this to the blogg section

Hi all, new to this forum, been into cars forever, recentley picked this beauty up for £200 with 12 months tax and test..bargain me thinks.. ita a 1000cc and claims to be a hollywood edition whatever that means..!

How i got it..

2vubhh4.jpg

14ca7f4.jpg

2ewctc4.jpg

2zsy546.jpg

A few dents here and there worst being the passenger door and passenger wing suffering from lacquer peel..

Some wheels a bit of lowering and some negative camber later..

2qcpm4n.jpg

2e17p61.jpg

11l1j7p.jpg

30hv4g4.jpg

2lbmfsz.jpg

I'm a massive believer in less is more..

What do ya think..(Y)

Had a bit of an adventure to the local (25 miles away) scrapyard this morning harbury lane near leamington, they had 5 micras in stock 4 facelift 51 platers and a older 1995 'm' plate its one of them old style help yourself scrappyards, this is the one i raped of parts

2ahkxy.jpg

Actually looked in really good condition, shame really but oh well more spares for me..

Removed the gearbox and it fought me all the way out not wanting to come off the locating dowels but i got there in the end..

as it was an lx model it held a few goodies for my pov spec model

Including some nice sunvisors with mirrors

30j2nhe.jpg

And a speedo with trip meter and a clock..! and it has 5000 less miles than mine on it..

2gwvmlw.jpg

Whoops..!

2ly52rq.jpg

so with all this lot in the boot and £70 lighter.. i returned home and removed the broken gearbox once removed it was found that the diff bearings had failed, then causing the driveshaft end to snap off in the gearbox.. so back to the scrapyard to remove the driveshaft from the donor.. then it got dark and cold so i went in and called it a day.. more tomorrow..

they are midlands metalics wheels, aftermarket wheels from the mid 80's era, 1.75 coils from the front, 1.25 coil from the rear. will be more at the weekend..!

Hi all, went shopping yesterday and decided that the car was not low enough as when in the multi storey there was no scraping action going on, so this morning i cut 1 more coil from the front and 1/2 from the rear, thats done the trick much better, reckon i could get 1 more from the front and another 1/2 from the rear though, also removed the bumpstops from the front, drives very well considering its soo low..

Next project will be some new wheels, well i say new but what i mean is some old wheels modified..

xckle8.jpg

2d9e0cm.jpg

11c8g3p.jpg

Much better me thinks..

wide wheels

So today had a bit of time to spare at work, so i decide to set to work on my wheels i have wanted some wide steels for a long long time but they are just way too expensive to justify spending my hard earned cash on some..so i made some and heres's a quick rundown of how i did it..

Step one: i have the luxury of a tyre changing machine to work on which made life a lot easier, clamp one wheel into the machine..this is a standard 5 x 13 micra steel wheel,

1zp5pgl.jpg

Step two: take one angle grinder and using a cutting disc hold it against the wheel while it turns in the tyre machine, this was an easier process than i thought it would be, you can just see in the pic where i have started to cut.

2vtd1jc.jpg

Step three: with a dead blow hammer i carefully parted the wheel into two sections, like so..

33ml9hx.jpg

and ended up with this

91apll.jpg

I then repeated this step with another wheel, I needed to remove the wheel centre from one of the wheel halves, this was the hardest part, they are welded in four places with 2" long welds and the only way to part them was to cut round the weld then put the wheel in the press and force them apart

25yw1u0.jpg

So now i'm left with two rear wheel halves one with a centre and one without, all i have to do now is clean the rust and paint from the area to be welded then stitch them back together, i also have the luxury of a wheel balancer so the two halves were lined together very well before completing the weld,

The end result is a 7 x 13 wheel that still retains the et17 offset, now by my calculations they should sit within the arches but give a much wider look, to finish them off i will have them media blasted than give them a lick of paint..

Three more to go..:p

15x39lz.jpg

15rk1hz.jpg

looking good blobbletec (Y)
using 2 rear halves makes for a very tight fit/remove tho eh :eek:

yeah i guess so but use to fitting low pro 18's and the like so shouldn't be too much of a challenge..:grinning:

Fitted tyre today to make sure i can get them on and off before i make a set of 4 and guess what....they fitted real easy

tyre size is 165 65 13, going to try a 155 70 13 or 155 65 13 for some ultimate stretch

kew8t2.jpg

w8w4ly.jpg

2ryr9xk.jpg

:p

mmm i really want some just less tyre hight, what do they look like on the car?

The tyres are actually stretched quite a lot just doesn't come across that well in the pics, haven't tried them on the car yet.. as soon as i do i will post some pics up..

175/50 r13 the get the chassis scrapping the floor

Too wide will loose some of the stretch as 175mm = about 7" as the rims are 7" wide wont look that stretched,, 155 65 13 will give a good result and retain some tyre wall for comfort..

Well done that man,, its a lhd lamp unit, evens things up a little for a smoother look..

You bum hole! I've been plotting and scheming that mod for ages, My LHD left hand light unit is winging its way here from portugal as I type!

Pull yer finger out and get the rest of those wheels made, its going to look epic!

Sorry to spoil ya fun..! The wheels are gonna be a while yet as im having the rears made wider to 8" as i can only stretch them to 7" but hopefully they shouldn't be too long in the making..

what did you do with the old alloys? those banded steel will look awesome aftert they have been painted! will you have to roll the arches at all?

The alloys are still on the car until i get the others back..i think a bit of arch rolling will be required..

You bum hole! I've been plotting and scheming that mod for ages, My LHD left hand light unit is winging its way here from portugal as I type!

Pull yer finger out and get the rest of those wheels made, its going to look epic!

:laugh: as soon as i saw that picture i was like "Mark is gonna be Mad!" at least you know it's gonna look awesome now (Y)

I do feel kinda bad now.. i bought the lights a few weeks ago but hadn't got round to fitting it till today,, i bought three as well as it was the same shipping price for three as it was for one..

Mark take care when removing the rear lamp as they are stuck in with some super sticky black gooey stuff and they take some prizing off..

you could do it might help, the black goo is about half inch thick..! best bet is a razor blade as the goo stretches when you pull the light out, a few attacks with the blade to detatch it is all it needs, the other light you get will be covered in goo as well and as the gap between the car body and the light is about half inch thick it needs quite a bit of goo to seal the light in the apperture..

Had a few hours at the scrappy today, the plan was to just get the metal bumper mounts as mine have been squashed and the bumper sits about an inch too close in to the grill, and grab another wheel for my widening project.. but i came away with a few bits more thought i might as well take the whole bumper and mounts, a few spare wheels, another pair of side repeaters, and a front bumper lip spoiler from a mk3 polo..! so watch this space for some more modfying fun.. and a bit of (what i think is the ultimate) jdm accessory fitting..:eek:

Today was a non productive day to say the least.. as long as i have been fond of jap cars i have longed for one thing.. a bumper park pole.. the finest jdm product and very rare for the micra, but i found one on this very forum, took a bit of searching but hey ho i had found one.. paid me money and a week later straight from japan it arrived..wicked i was in jdm heaven all i had to do was fit it, no big deal, remove front bumper drill a hole in the desired position. easy 1/2 hour later it was done, now to the wiring again no big deal 2 for the power 1 for the earth..easy.. job done, i got to give it a go.. push the switch.. pole goes up,, to say i was a happy man was a massive understatement, push it again pole goes down, wicked, i gotta have another go, push the button.. crunch crack the thing is making some strange noises and has stopped half way up, rather like a broken electric aerial, but the motor is still wurring.. not happy, upon inspection the internal control wire has snapped, i couldn't believe it,, all that time, all the anticipation.. shattered dreams in one flick of a switch..

k11pole7-5-10.jpg

108bhif.jpg

Awwww man! is it gonna be fixable?! :down:

Well yes and no.. the problem is the the control wire is made from hollow nylon type material so it can bend into a tight circle into the machanism, and inside that nylon tube runs the wire for the green light on top, when it snapped it broke the wires as well, now the aerial assembley is made in such a way it will not come apart easily, now i have two options,

option 1 (and maybe the easiest) would be to forget about repairing the wiring and glue the two halves back together re-inforcing the joint by stuffing something up the hole where the wire runs through and glueing with super glue, this i think would work and.. as i am quite into rc planes and cars i know flexible nylon wire ( i know its not called wire ) can be obtained quit easily.. just need to get to a model shop..

Option 2, its broken so i cant make it any worse right..! attemt to break down the aerial assembly, the best way would be to attempt to remove the green light where said nylon control wire is attatched, replace with some new and more flexible nylon control wire then run some new wires to the green light on top and glue back together..sounds easy..!

foregoing the green light would annoy me as that is kinda what attratcts me these marvelous little aerials, it just wouldn't be the same without it..

And the chance of finding another.. slim to zero,, and i kinda spent a lot on it..too much some might say but if ya gotta have it.. ya gotta have it..

I'm sure it broke as a combination of things, cold weather, old plastic type nylons dont last forever and go brittle and hard especially when cold..

The other problem is im more of a hammer and a packet of condoms type bloke not a light handed engineer..if you catch my drift..

So in reality im gonna sleep on it until i have thought about it a bit more..

(Y)

Fitted my scrap yard mk3 polo front splitter today

2vmfxj7.jpg

Also fitted some winter tyres

1118sir.jpg

Steelies look awful so will change them to my alloys in the week

Keen eyed will notice the hangover on the spoiler dunno weather to cut it off or leave it, i kinda like it..?!

2zr22jt.jpg

2wcp89s.jpg

2cyp7qp.jpg

Comments welcome goo or bad.. (Y)

Back