Hesitation Through Gears.

you did,nt check the voltage by using a 12v feed did you shaun :eek: (red meter lead on batt + and black meter lead on the middle lambda ?)

Yes we did. why is that a bad thing?

:eek: ffs shaun, you put the red + meter lead on the middle lambda wire and the black meter lead on an earth somewhere (you are measuring the voltage coming out of the wire, not shoving 12v into it :eek:)

Calm down emmett brown lol :p We used the red on the middle wire and the black on the battery negative. :(
Tried various ways maybe mck will enlighten us more as he was at the reading end. I will try it again tomorrow daytime exactly as you say and take a picture for you.

Just been out for a drive and it was bearable to say the least even when it is not jerking violently you can still feel it holding the car back whilst driving.
I hope it is just the lambda sensor. Will try and test it again tomorrow and replace it asap nonetheless as they must be cheap from the scrapyard.
Thanks for your help so far everyone!

Sounds like this is the same problem I am having; are you sure the fuel efficiency is unaffected, as mine has diminished badly (talkin' 'bout cars here you funnyman !):p

Westway Nissan in Streetly tried to scare me with horror stories, but at £800 'cos they want to replace the entire throttle body assembly I won't be going back.
They did say this fault means the fuel mixer is now over-compensating, so the car acts as if it's running with the choke out all the time, which will fail the MOT on emissions and eventually clog up some bits or other.

As I don't have the cash, or any mechanical knowledge, any advice would be appreciated...
Thanks in advance, garbled

Another Update:
Getting the same reading (Sort of) on my lambda as we do on McK's so i think i can rule this out.
Next Step please?

Thanks REG, Where did you connect your black terminal then? fwn
an earth point.

as you sure its not the throttle body solder problem? Pretty sure i had similar symptoms and fitting a new TB sorted it (i assume it was the solder joints).
but check your lambda first eh.

same reading from mine as well as shauns lambda. need to check the T/B, but its seems its has been changed in past as there is some scrap yard writing on it.
I have the spare 50mm Hitachi t/b so we can try that, but the idle sensor is blanked out. how is it gonna work then? no idle control?

McK i suppose we could try and solder this TB as long as i have a little guide to go along with, got plenty of solder and an iron to hand.
IF it is the TB that is.

Just to add i have seen some used TB's on eBay from around £15-50 and refurbed ones from £60 upwards to £100 new.
Noway! am i gonna buy new. Especially as we are unsure of the exact problem.

Shaun I have my 1.3 throttle body sitting around doing nothing useful
That may come in handy if we can't get mine or McK's 50mm one working. Thankyou!

Just a quick update,
Got to epsom yesterday and the car was so bad that i just couldn't drive it anymore. Jumping forward and back like a race horse. grr
had to turn back and let the missus drive upto northampton in her *C3* :down:
Waste of an hour and half, was a giggle though.

Why dont you re-solder the joints for the MAF sensor?? I bet that solves your problem. Its free and will take you about an hour.

Why dont you re-solder the joints for the MAF sensor?? I bet that solves your problem. Its free and will take you about an hour.
I would love to do it, as i said above but need to have a little guide etc. if there is one on here.
otherwise will play around with McK's 50mm T/B whilst i work on this one.
As i'm up in northampton at the moment can't do anything till tomorrow.

so it's just those three joints x2 just need reheating?
hmmm... well that seems simple enough. would there be a way to tell if they are knackered?

It would be worth doing even if they look fine. At least then if its been done and the problem persists you know the problem lies elsehwere and you can save time without farcing about changing throttle bodies.

It would be worth doing even if they look fine. At least then if its been done and the problem persists you know the problem lies elsehwere and you can save time without farcing about changing throttle bodies.
i suppose it would be better to take it off whilst soldering though?

i suppose it would be better to take it off whilst soldering though?
yes, take the TB off (but first you will have to remove the air box and disconnect everything) then re-solder the joints (even if they look fine) and then refit the TB using either a new gasket or some liquid gasket. then plug everything back in.
then let us know how the car is after its done(Y)
If you dont fancy it and you can get the car down to me (brighton) i will do it for you for a few moneys.

yes, take the TB off (but first you will have to remove the air box and disconnect everything) then re-solder the joints (even if they look fine) and then refit the TB using either a new gasket or some liquid gasket. then plug everything back in.
then let us know how the car is after its done(Y)
If you dont fancy it and you can get the car down to me (brighton) i will do it for you for a few moneys.
I only have an on top filter so can get to it fine :D
if i resolder it and it is still crud then i will consult the holy forum once more. :p
then horse ride down yours Ed lol
don't you still supply and fit turbo's for just £5? :laugh: (please)

Update: with a little hope...

After coming back from up north(ish) straight over McK's to work on the car's current problem took off one throttle body, put on a bigger bored one. 50mm iirc, worked well but couldn't get the idle down to a reasonable amount.
So soldered 6 pins on the existing chip in the existing Throttle body. on the mini test drive and the ride home nothing, not even a hiccup...
The test will be tomorrow when i travel back up north...

Thanks so far.

Seems you may have hopefully sorted the problem...But on the subject of lambda sensors I got a new pattern one from E Bay for little money for another car but they were available for lots of different cars.

Seems you may have hopefully sorted the problem...But on the subject of lambda sensors I got a new pattern one from E Bay for little money for another car but they were available for lots of different cars.

got a linker?
nice move shaun-k11's not of the dead now

Problem is the solder on there really didn't look bad. re-heated it and slapped a little more on top for security.
no more stuttering just a slightly high idle. no worries :p

Back