Gear change down is sooooo stiff

ElectroDan

Ex. Club Member
Changing up through the gears on my K11 1.3 is smooth and easy :grinning:

However, changing down from 4th to 3rd, and 3rd to 2nd is incredibly hard. Sometimes it just won't go unless I lift the clutch in neutral, blip the throttle and try again.

Is this common with Micra's (I'm on my first!) or could something like the clutch cable need adjusting?

I'm hoping it's not a gearbox oil issue, it seems to be difficult to access.

its easy to access both oil plugs on 1.3 g/box. I never had this problem, but I always double clutch. maybe you just need to change the oil. sorry i cant help more. but someone surely will

This is like mine too when trying to get it in gear 1 at say 10mph ish, i even had the gears grind on me the other day when trying to change down into 1, still works great though o_O just stiff.

This is like mine too when trying to get it in gear 1 at say 10mph ish, i even had the gears grind on me the other day when trying to change down into 1, still works great though o_O just stiff.

Dont think the micras like going into 1st until you've nearly stopped...happens the same way you've described on mine and a couple of others ive driven. :)

Oh good sol, had me worried there but no more, i use my 1'st alot sometimes haha, no idea why when the second is perfect, but joys of being a fairly new drive i guess eh !

The other problem I have with the gearstick is that in neutral although it springs back to between 3rd and 4th if you let go of it between 5th and reverse, it doesn't if you let go between 1st and 2nd. It stays where it is. Could this be part of the same problem?

The other problem I have with the gearstick is that in neutral although it springs back to between 3rd and 4th if you let go of it between 5th and reverse, it doesn't if you let go between 1st and 2nd. It stays where it is. Could this be part of the same problem?

the common return spring under the gearstick that pulls it back from left to centre has broken. remove the heatshield between the gearstick and 2nd catalytic convertor to see the dangling broken spring, re-bend a new hook at the end with nose pliers and reattach, reassemble.

Dont think the micras like going into 1st until you've nearly stopped...happens the same way you've described on mine and a couple of others ive driven. :)

same here. having worn gearlinkage bushes makes it worst, tis why i modded mine with ball-bearing bush.
going into 1st from 3rd/4th/5th i usually have to move to 2nd to line up the synchro then i could slot it easy into 1st gear. or i just keep pushing for 1st gear and it feels like the cog's trying to eject the gearbox oil outa the way for brief sec before the selector fork can eventully slot in.

Okay thanks for the advice so far.

I did some testing driving home tonight. I've now found that when trying to change down and it's stiff, if I wiggle the gearstick (rather than just pull hard), it's slots into gear. It feels as if something isn't quite aligned, and wiggling the stick either aligns it or threads between the mis-aligned parts. I guess this rules out it being a gearbox oil or clutch cable issue? Something to do with the syncro-mesh perhaps?

the common return spring under the gearstick that pulls it back from left to centre has broken. remove the heatshield between the gearstick and 2nd catalytic convertor to see the dangling broken spring, re-bend a new hook at the end with nose pliers and reattach, reassemble.

Thanks for confirming this. I ordered a spring off ebay for £6 this morning. I'd rather put that on than mess around with the old one!

Okay thanks for the advice so far.

I did some testing driving home tonight. I've now found that when trying to change down and it's stiff, if I wiggle the gearstick (rather than just pull hard), it's slots into gear. It feels as if something isn't quite aligned, and wiggling the stick either aligns it or threads between the mis-aligned parts. I guess this rules out it being a gearbox oil or clutch cable issue? Something to do with the syncro-mesh perhaps?

sounds like its a worn gear linkage bush

you'll see two black metal rod linkages behind the gearbox end. one is anchored to the rear lower engine mount. the other is linked to the gearbox selector via a universal joint, this is the one ya need to check.

slot it into 3rd or 4th, grab the selector rod and try twist it. there should be absolutely no play at all in the universal joints.

tis also worth checking the bush at the gearstick end for play too.

Not an expert on why but gearboxes in general don't feel like they like being put into 1st when the car is moving.
Super S has an issue between 3rd-4th,got some low mileage rods somewhere I must try...

Hey Polly, I went to my local Nissan dealer this lunchtime to find out the price of the bush on the universal joint. They told me it only comes with the whole rod and costs £74+VAT. In the pic below it's part 34103.

To get the bush at the gear stick end it's £32+VAT as would need to buy parts 34553 and 34112.

That's what I was told anyway. Is it possible to buy just the bushes elsewhere, or should I simply grease the existing bushes, put it back together and see if that fixes it?

Gearlinkage.jpg

yea i'd first try taking the bushes apart, clean n regrease em (the riveted end between the universal joint and the selector linkage can be angle grinded off in order to access that bush but on older micras the rivet & bush maybe seized together tight).

in most cases its the softer polyurethane of the universal joint that's worn loose rather than the harder metal bushes. and to replace that joint, local scrappys or parts finders will only sell you the gear linkage mechanism as a whole.
ask around various places to get the cheapest quote and always check the condition of the replacements for any play in the joint before handing cash over.

Back