Crashed the Corsa

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Ok, a bit shaken up as i write this as it only happened half hour ago. Was doing about 50 round a bend, a car on the opposite side of the road seemed quite far over, as in hoggling the middle, i sharply moved to the left (left hand bend). Car understeered, then when it recovered, went back out the other way, up a kerb, through someone's sign post, spun around across the road and through a fence into a load of bushes. Car was wedged in, didnt have a clue what to do. Who to call, the police perhaps? Haven't drunk anything or anything like that just an honest accident.

I am so grateful to about 5 cars who stopped. Some girl and her i'm guessing bloke wanted to help out, and offered to wait with me until someone came, then two other guys stopped and they all basically helped pull it out. So so grateful for there help. Can't believe that happened, apart from being hit by a drunk driver a couple of years back, this is my first crash that i kinda feel responsible for (as i lost control of it). The bloke that hogged the road didn't stop.

Roads are quite icey so i'm assuming that's why it lost it like that :s

poor little corsa :eek:, my old dear rolled hers lol, as long as your not hurt arnold :)

Banged my head on the steering wheel but apart from that i'm fine, just so glad to have walked out of it really. Could have hit another car or a tree or anything

omg are you ok dude its horible i know but at least you arnt hurt cars can be replaced you cant

Thanks mate, yeah i'll be fine. Hate the car anyway so not fussed about that, just glad it wasn't worse than it was.

my mates just crashed his corsa. hope yoour okay mate. something wants to rid the world of corsa's!
is it a write off? or just cosmetic stuff?

Cosmetic damage as far as i can tell, but she didn't 'feel' right afterwards. Might have damaged a wishbone or suspension or something when it hit the kerb.

Wasn't really the right time or place to take photos when it was in the bush. Shame i can't get images from my brain as i remember the entire thing (when i'd stopped).. All happened so quick. I'l get some photos of the crap box tomorrow

holy ^^^^ mate!!!

this could EASILY have ended MUCH worse....

TOTALLY releived that you're OK mate!! Phew!!!!!!

I guess the oncomming vehicle was pushing it a bit and took the 'chord-route' through the bend?

no dis-respect intended...but %%%% the car....you're OK and thats the main thing.

at 50, I reccon it wasn't so much ice, but more the reaction force of the tyre exceeding its limit (after turning the steering) on the tyre <after having to take evasive action to avoid the oncomming plank>...thank god you reacted in time and the tyres kept their grip for long enough to change your direction avoiding the head-on

crikey mate

rest up

If it wasn't your insurance on the line I'd say aim for the **** in the middel of the road, there's been loads of crappy driving recently, glad to hear your ok though.

At least now you can get another car :D

holy mate!!!

this could EASILY have ended MUCH worse....

TOTALLY releived that you're OK mate!! Phew!!!!!!

I guess the oncomming vehicle was pushing it a bit and took the 'chord-route' through the bend?

no dis-respect intended...but the car....you're OK and thats the main thing.

at 50, I reccon it wasn't so much ice, but more the reaction force of the tyre exceeding its limit (after turning the steering) on the tyre <after having to take evasive action to avoid the oncomming plank>...thank god you reacted in time and the tyres kept their grip for long enough to change your direction avoiding the head-on

crikey mate

rest up

Alienfish said it was probably lift off oversteer, but i've never had it happen before. Would it be the grip of the rear tyres, or is it really just one of those things? I never had any issues with my K10, even in snow - but these tyres are skinny little things, probably budget brand (came with the car). I'm gonna go out and take some photos and check her over in a minute (to the best of my ability)

Dreampt last night i did roll the car :s, but i'm sure i'll be ok. My head doesn't hurt now, just still can't really believe it happened.

& yeah your right i can look to get a car i want now, and be a bit safer in.

Some photos of the old girl. There was some previous badger damage on the car from the previous owner but its pretty evident what new damage has been done.

The front two tyres do look like they don't have much tread left. They haven't reached the minimum levels yet, but the outside on one of them looks pretty worn down. The rear right hand side which i zoomed in on has tonnes of little cracks too. Would either of these have effected the car at all? The wheel arch areas still really stink of burnt tyres

I'm not sure what happened to my nodding dog's head either.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

wow, glad your ok Arnold

Doesnt seam tobe much damage at all. i'dget those tyres swapped though as the cracks aint good!

are you driving up herenext week ?

Where'd his head go LOL

I haven't got a clue! One of the guys pulling it out last night might have ripped it off, but it was quite a bumpy crash, it may have just fallen out somewhere lol!!

And yes pad* i'm meant to be driving up there, so i'll take it to a garage tomorrow, get new tyres, new front exhaust (needed doing anyway) and get them to just give it the once over. I'll probably have to change all 4 tyres. God this car is a waste of money

Good To Hear your ok. Ive lost too many people/associates from online because of Icy Roads, Or Drunken Drivers.

I think this is a message to all of us, lets not take any risks, it is slippery out there, and we arnt rally drivers.

That looks like it'll live on!

But that tyre you zoomed in on looks illegal.

:s I am amazed the car passed an MOT. I bought it with 12 months, but it was clearly passed illegally. Got it off a "friend" so thought it could be trusted.

I will get them all replaced.

WOW rimmer... thats one hell of a way to get rid of a corsa. you need to try harder next time..lol

no but seriously, it will have been understeer looking at those front hoops. theyre shot, and skinny, and awefull tread pattern too. i get understeer in my car sometimes on 195/45/15 kumho ecsta sports. so on those things.... very likely.

glad your ok though matey.

ps if i were you i would edit your post sammo, thats classed as evading the swear filter and maybe arnie missed it first time. chars.

yea id have said the tyres were shot, and its good to see the michelin lasting the distance, tons of tread left on it but its so old its perished! Ive had a few hairy moments recently too in mine, tyres are still legal but as theyve worn below 3mm im starting to notice the grip levels getting worse and worse, and on the corsa tyres theyre so skinny youve got very little contact patch on the road which doesnt help in any conditions. As for the car though id say it wasnt in too bad shape considering whats happened, chuck a few bob at it nd keep her goin! Good to hear your ok too, it takes surprisingly little to cause injuries but youve had a lucky one!

Yeah, those tyres look a little past their best......I just replaced all 4 tyres on my K11 because the rear tyres were actually the original Continentals fitted when it left the showroom......the sidewalls were shot, I couldn't believe it passed the last MOT before I bought it either, but they did have more than min tread depth on them.

As for people hogging the road, this is something people do a lot where my dad lives. The roads are narrow and have no road markings, people seem to drive well away from the verge to avoid getting their beloved gas guzzlers/4x4's dirty. It's very bad driving, inconsiderate and down right dangerous, especially on blind bends. I maintain my line and slow right down, (9 times out of 10, to a complete stop), forcing them to either move over to the correct position or end up with a fully scraped paint job of which they are soley responsible for.

Anyways, glad you're ok Rimmer ;)

Yeah i guess it was just panic / evasive action but i'm certainly going to be a bit more on the ball / even slower and just generally more cautious. It doesn't matter how safe you are, it just takes some idiot like that to cause situations like this. I drove the car to the garage this morning and I felt so unsafe, even doing 30 :s, no confidence at all.

Anyway, 4 new tyres, tracking & mid section of the exhaust going on. I'm expecting a bill worth nearly half the price of the car or more. Whoever buys this car is going to have alot of expense spared

glad your ok mate! i was going to say its probably crap tyres that caused it then saw the pics! get those sorted!

if you need any help fixing her up mate give me a shout i can always pop up one evening to help out!

if you need any help fixing her up mate give me a shout i can always pop up one evening to help out!

Thanks mate. I need to change the bumpers & fit a new air flow meter, I'll buy you a beer & burger if you wanna help out :) Would be even better if we spent few hours in Bridges and found a new bonnet etc for it too lol

Thanks mate. I need to change the bumpers & fit a new air flow meter, I'll buy you a beer & burger if you wanna help out :) Would be even better if we spent few hours in Bridges and found a new bonnet etc for it too lol

sounds like a plan mate! weekend after next i can do a bridges trip im off on hols (hopefully) next week so wont be about but if you can wait i could use a hunt round bridges

sounds like a plan mate! weekend after next i can do a bridges trip im off on hols (hopefully) next week so wont be about but if you can wait i could use a hunt round bridges

Yeah I can wait fella.

The Corsa is now back, fixed and cost me a nice £308. They said the tyres were all legal too, which surprised me. Still, got 4 Avon tyres and the exhaust sorted. Just need to fit the air flow meter and hopefully she'l stop stalling lol. Nodding dog is alive again, i found his head in the rear footwells.

And the car generally does look a bit of a state when you see it first hand.

Glad your ok, sounds to me like the accident i had in my old K11.
Sharp turned to the left, back end stepped out, over corrected, fishtailed... left the road.

Your right in that its very hard to make the back end comeout on a fwd car especially driving normally, but definately possible, the shock of the weight tranfer when you suddenly tightened the turn and then came out of the under steer could have unsettled it, especially if grip was down just a little bit because of ice. (Is it possible you touched the brakes at all?

Coming home down an icy road today the back end was getting decidly slide happy at times under braking and when turning in even slowly... (solution use the motorway next time)

Obviously thats my theory based on what i mainly learned on a skid control course and experimenting, no doubt someone knows more.

Main point is your ok!

Good to see your ok dude.

Those are some snazzy tyres, last time i saw cracks in rubber like that it was on my 10 year old mountain bike! :)

Right guys, there's quite a harsh burning smell on the car. Noticed it when I got out the car after a 1 mile drive. Could it be related to parts of the new exhaust just being burnt off? Sealant etc, or is it likely to be related to something else? Brakes/Wheel area, Clutch etc. I'm really not sure! The Exhaust was still smoking a little even after the engine was turned off, but assumed that was just because it was so cold earlier.

if its a new zorst mate its likely to be either sealant or stickers on the system burning off, if the smell was from the brakes youd smell it directly in that area, just dont drive to far keep an eye on it.

if its a new zorst mate its likely to be either sealant or stickers on the system burning off, if the smell was from the brakes youd smell it directly in that area, just dont drive to far keep an eye on it.

Well it did smell similar to when it was getting dragged out the hedge backwards with tyre smoke everywhere which made me wonder if it was the exhaust or not. I'm driving it to Guildford tonight so will see what happens.. hopefully not catch fire or anything :s, but maybe i'll take it for a short drive around town then sniff it after just to see where it's coming from :)

What part of the exhaust did you have fitted? sometimes the smell can be the lead coating they put on them burning away, but i know too from experience that corsa exhausts are a goddamn chuffing pain in the backside to fit, they knock, bang and blow everywhere, so it might be worth looking to see if the exhaust isnt sitting against your bodywork somewhere, chances are its not but you wouldnt wana find a nice melted bumper after a long drive. Then again it might not even be the exhaust!

It's the middle section that was replaced this time round, the backbox was done just before christmas. The bloke who fitted it said it was a right pain to get on! Can't smell the burning tonight. Love the fact i've just been to Guildford and back and she's still registering a full tank lol - Economy my K10 could only dream of! Anyway, it's still a crap car. Driving fine and doesn't smell, although the exhaust is knocking somewhere. It'l do for now :)

Back