Speeding, police technology, how screwed am i?

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
I was coming up a hill earlier doing 60 (indicated) as I neared the top I backed off to let my speed drop off as I was coming up to a roundabout. Just as I reached the top of the hill I saw a police range rover thing, I didn't slam the brakes on but let off the throttle.
At about 100 yards away I was doing 56 indicated and the copper pointed his gun at me.

Firstly I need to know what's the range on these things, secondly do they have ANPR systems built in? He didn't chase me, does that mean I've got away with it or will I be getting a nasty letter through the door. How accurate is the speedo on a micra.

The limit was a 50 btw but it was a dual carriageway with no pedestrians otherwise I wouldn't have been doing 60

i thought they would of pulled you over, the copper who uses the hand held gun outside my work pulls the people over for a telling off. I would say you've got away with it, but dont count your chickens :(

What wheels you got on your micra?

If you've got the 13" steelies, then your fine. It reads about 10% other on those wheels in my experience.

What seems to be the tactic is, they'll have the radar gun, and then down the road will be a squad car. The men in the van will radio to the squad car people who are speeding, and they'll pull em other.

You might be lucky. They might just be doing speed assessments. They do these on a stretch of road near here, which is 40mph, but everyone does 60 on it, because there's absolutely no need for it to be 40mph. But those vans are usually highways agency.

I didn't get a really good look at the car I was just concentrating on the guy, flurescent jacket and a radar gun, I guess I'll find out, I think I'll take the 'speed learning day' option to avoid the points, though I think that's quite expensive

on my 15's my car is reading 32 at 30mph, 65 at 60mph and 79 at 70mph. so on 13's i think you will be perfectly fine, besides which its limit +3 +10% so the limit for prosecution would be 58mph anyway.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease guys, just gotta wait now.

I've put up a sign for other motorists at the start of the road now, it's sneaky tactics like this that make people hate the 5-0

it's 10% plus one and it's not manditory, if they were in a bad mood they can do you at 1mph over, although I'd love to see that stand in court.

No ANPR isn't whats used to record your VRM, that's his eyes, his collegues eyes or a camera if he had one. Theoretically were not meant to disclose what ANPR does but 'traffic cops' seems to tell people all the time.

The most likely thing is if he was just using a hand held radar and your speed was 56 (most likely less taking into account stupid amount of inaccuracy in most cars speedos) he just shrugged his shoulders and carried on waiting for someone to come along at a proper speed.

Isn't this what people want? a copper with some discretion rather than a yellow box hidden behind a tree that'd be posting you your three points as we speak?

Oh and drivers ed. lessons aren't offered in all forces.

i must admit i would rather be pulled over for speeding then you know for sure what is happening rather than think over and over did that camera flash? how fast was i going? was that speed gun pointing at me? was i breaking? did he write my plate down?

if i got pulled for soeeding i would certainly feel awful but at the same time fair cop i would be wrong for speeding and i would know if i was getting a fine / points or not instead of worrying!!!

and dont forget POINTS MAKE PRIZES!! just a little jokei have i do not condone speeding in any shape or form :)

Yeah, what worries me is I'm in my first 2 years of driving which means I can only get 6 points, and I can't take my test again because I'm now a proper driver

Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine/do the time.

I'm lucky. Devon has about 6 speed camera's in it, so I don't have to worry to much about the sneaky #######s, but then again, I don't speed that much, and it's pretty hard to get up to a decent speed around here with all the old people, tourists, tractors, sunday drivers and lanes.

The road is a straight open stretch of dual carriageway, there is no way for pedestrians to get on it as there are high walls eitherside, the 50 limit is fully retarded as there is no danger of accidents whatsoever. I've lived in this town my whole life and the only accident I've seen on this road was a lorry dropping his trailer

You should be fine mate, they usualy pull you over also if it was a 50 and you were spotted doing 56 it wouldnt matter, usualy if they have a gun out they pull you over and you have the right to ask for the certificate test for the gun they use that day, you should be fine :)

I received a fine and points for speeding after overtaking someone (to overtake someone is not against the law provided you get back to the speed limit indicated) most hand held cameras are a waste of time, the operator might point at your vehicle but might get a different reading from someone going in the opposite direction through what is called 'deflection'. you should be ok, it's not as if you were doing 80 and driving like a rabid dog and laughing hysterically....

The road is a straight open stretch of dual carriageway, there is no way for pedestrians to get on it as there are high walls eitherside, the 50 limit is fully retarded as there is no danger of accidents whatsoever. I've lived in this town my whole life and the only accident I've seen on this road was a lorry dropping his trailer

well peakes parkway in grimsby is 3 miles long, arrow straight and has an 8foot brick wall on either side with armco barriers infront of them. its a 30mph limit all the way along it. however, everyone does at least 50 down there if not 60+ and the police dont realy care as its a pointless limit with 0 accidents in 5 years!

The problem with this whole thing is I've become really paranoid about my speed so I drive along staring at my speedo and spend less time looking at the road

I received a fine and points for speeding after overtaking someone (to overtake someone is not against the law provided you get back to the speed limit indicated).
I'm not sure i'm quite clear here, are you suggesting it's legal to increase to above the posted speed limit (40, 50, 60) to overtake as long as you return to the speed limit after the manoeuvre? I'm pretty sure in the eyes of the law that's still illegal.

So are you saying it's illegal to overtake? I don't think so.

Highway code: Rule 163
Move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking once you have started to overtake.

Allow plenty of room.

Move back to the left as soon as you can.

So are you saying it's illegal to overtake? I don't think so.
Not at all. What I'm suggesting is that it's not legal to accelerate to a speed that is higher than the speed limit of the road you are on, for example overtaking at 60mph in a 50mph limit or 68mph on a NSL road.

Back