Caught Speeding... Advice!!

Last night i was travelling down a dual carrigeway which the speed limit is 40mph i was doing 45 as i was overtaking a slower moving car, the road merges back into a single file 1 lane road and the speed limit drops back down to 30 aswell, i had to speed up more than i thought to get past this car as i didnt want to cut them up whilst moving back across for the single lane reduction, as i entered the 30 i was still doin approx 45 but was breaking to slow to 30 and i was zapped by a police gun (i didnt know at this point in time and got my speed down to 30 and carried on driving when i saw blue lights from the side of the road and an officer in the middle of the road signaling me over.

So i pull up and he says for me to get out etc etc and tells me that 48mph in a 30 isnt acceptable and gave me 3 points and a £60 fine. Now i thought i was doing 30 but he showed me how the gun works and that he was zapping people the second they enter the 30 zone and in my case i was still slowing down.

Now before you all tell me im in the wrong i know this and i regret what i did as i dont want to get banned as i have only been driving less than a year. What i want to know is .... is there any way i can get them to drop the points and just pay the fine etc or make me go on a drivers awareness course or pay a heftier fine, i just thing the points was a bit harsh. I have been told if i take it to court or write a letter to the court requesting the points to be dropped it can result in me getting and even bigger punishment for wasting time and trying to fight the fine etc but i dont know :S

Any advice on what to do is much appreciated :)

Tom

if his issued you points i dont think theres much you can do, they are trying to get people off the road at the moment and as usual they are targetting younger drivers. there is a website you can look at for help: http://www.pepipoo.com

good luck

Nope there is nothing you can do. If his gun says your speeding then its an instant £60 fine plus 3 points. My brother had something like this happen to him. But was for 'illegal' modification. Oh and apparently if the fine is not paid, the 3 points can turn to 6 aparently!

But good luck in finding a way out!

I read an article recently about one force suspending use of these guns, there may be some kind of accuracy problem with them, which may be worth checking out.
Craig

so the Speed limit goes from 40 to 30...makes me wonder why they don't just make the dual-carriageway 30 as well. Do you know what kind of Speed gun he was using as some of them are way out on their calculations...

you're not alone ..i got done whilst overtaking on a DC
the limit was 50, i was supposedly doing 62...yeah right...ho ho ho and allthat jazz....

First of all goto http://www.pepipoo.com (as has been said) join the forum as a new member and then do this : http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?autocom=nipwizard

As you were stopped by the side of the road you have already had a verbal nip so that makes things harder. However I would go back to said road and check the details. He should have got (I believe anyway) both a speed and distance from where he was. Measure where he was and see if infact you were well within the 30 limit or not. To be honest he has you for enough in a 40 let alone 30 limit, but its worth checking out if he got you where he said you were, if not whos to say that any of what he said was true.

If it all checks out take it like a man, you sped and were caught. Its not the end of the world.

Can you get 3 points for illegal modifications? would a de cat pipe be classed as an illegal modification :| im getting scared to leave the house now :|

You can appeal towards the Fine and Points. I don't think they will punish you more for this, as you believe there to be an acceptable reason for why you was speeding. As I read that you can appeal against a Parking Ticket (I do Law) so I'm only assuming you can't get a bigger punishement.

I've did what you done loads of times because it's dangerous to cut people up so I had to speed to get in the front of the lane that I needed to go, sometimes this situation just can't be helped.

Can you get 3 points for illegal modifications? would a de cat pipe be classed as an illegal modification :| im getting scared to leave the house now :|

Not its not illegal, jut the fact that your can't pass the emissions and you haven't told your insurance company. Basicly its not road worthy so insurance can refuse to back you up if you crash.

I'm like that mate, hate driving because of it tbh, just love the car so I can't keep out of it!

I really would like to know what 'illegal modifications' are though, as I have 3 point and getting banned will result in my extremely good job that I somehow managed to get going bye bye's.

I'm like that mate, hate driving because of it tbh, just love the car so I can't keep out of it!

I really would like to know what 'illegal modifications' are though, as I have 3 point and getting banned will result in my extremely good job that I somehow managed to get going bye bye's.

Im in the same boat mate

I wont lol its straight through system, you can see the clouds of smoke coming out the back and if you look up to the sky above my car you can practically see the o zone layer opening up lmao

I think supposedly you are mean't to ask to see the calibration certificate of the equipment used to catch you speeding.
However chances are if you do that he'll just get you on an unsafe manner of driving charge or something.

It ####es me off, they are supposed to be public servants etc and look after us and treat us fairly but still we are all to scared to ask to see certification of things and ask for our rights because they have so much power we are scared of them getting annoyed and bumping up the fine etc

Failing the emissions test (or indeed anything like that) would NOT get you points. At worse you would get a correction notice, and a fine from the local council doing the test (the police cannot do this)

Jinta, he cannot appeal. His options are to accept the conditional offer (i.e. pay up and get points) or he has to goto court and defend the case. He would most probably fail unless he can prove a technicality and end up with perhaps 3 or more points and a £150+ fine.

You can appeal towards the Fine and Points. I don't think they will punish you more for this, as you believe there to be an acceptable reason for why you was speeding. As I read that you can appeal against a Parking Ticket (I do Law) so I'm only assuming you can't get a bigger punishement.

I've did what you done loads of times because it's dangerous to cut people up so I had to speed to get in the front of the lane that I needed to go, sometimes this situation just can't be helped.

The situation can ALWAYS be helped. The only person the driver can blame is theirself for attempting an overtake with such little room. If however on the other hand the driver your trying to pass accelerates (which could then be considerd as driving without due care and att, or in extream cases dangerous driving - but this is hard to make stick) then it may be different. Most people make an error and wont admit to it. They should be able to learn from it and move on.

This is against the ACPO code. (10% +2) if this had gone to court it would probably have failed, and been thrown out. Infact writing to the local camera partnership if you get a NIP through the post for say 33 mph in a 30 will often get them dropped.

Failing the emissions test (or indeed anything like that) would NOT get you points. At worse you would get a correction notice, and a fine from the local council doing the test (the police cannot do this)

Jinta, he cannot appeal. His options are to accept the conditional offer (i.e. pay up and get points) or he has to goto court and defend the case. He would most probably fail unless he can prove a technicality and end up with perhaps 3 or more points and a £150+ fine.

The situation can ALWAYS be helped. The only person the driver can blame is theirself for attempting an overtake with such little room. If however on the other hand the driver your trying to pass accelerates (which could then be considerd as driving without due care and att, or in extream cases dangerous driving - but this is hard to make stick) then it may be different. Most people make an error and wont admit to it. They should be able to learn from it and move on.

This is against the ACPO code. (10% +2) if this had gone to court it would probably have failed, and been thrown out. Infact writing to the local camera partnership if you get a NIP through the post for say 33 mph in a 30 will often get them dropped.

Can I get them revoked after 5 months?

:glare:

If he's given you points at the roadside, forget it, it's done. If there were questions about the roadworthyness of your car he'd have called traffic up, had your car inspected and seized.

If the speed gun was calibrated and used by an officer who's certificate to use said speed gun is in date (both will be checked by central ticket office) then tough. If you contest it and it's proven 'beyond all reasonable doubt' in court then you could well end up with a heftier fine plus court fees. If somethings wrong at their end then you'll get a letter saying "bad boy but we'll let you off this time". It's usually traffic who do speeding offences so they should be in date.

Drivers education courses vary from force to force and are offered where they are in opporation.

Anyway I'll leave you to it...

Pete

In other words suck it up like a man and take it as a lesson learnt. Not saying your definately at fault but you could've avoided it.

Maybe they should give the police a lessons on human interaction, they cry about there poor pay, they cry about there equipment, the cry about there paperwork, they cry about how they mopped up another person off the road.
I just hate being talk to like a piece of dirt on the side of the road for leaving the fog lights on by some meat head who never made Sargent in the army and thought "hey ill join the police, they aways want people of distinction" and the skinny quiet sidekick who does a once over of the car just in case im carrying drugs as us Accounts make good dealer.

yeh but, 3 points for just 3MPH over the top? That could just be a 1 second mistake stepping on the peddle... or maybe just a little gush of wind from the rear. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Personal attack aside, Most officers I know usually deal with people in the manner that they are treated. If you walk up to a car and say "now are you aware of the reason I stopped you?" and they grunt or say something snide then thats just set out the way they are treated. If you get a polite "no officer" or " d'oh you got me I've got my foglights on haven't I?" then you'll get treated like a normal person.

Policing is a stressful job, very few people appreciate what you do, practically everywhere you turn people feel justified in abusing you, unless your out there and in one of the services it's almost impossible to understand.

I think the original poster accepts that he was caught out speeding fairly and was just looking out for possible excuses for getting out of the points, which if is honest and I can understand why he'd ask. To be honest my advise would be, learn from it. As your exposure to driving increases you'll realise where you can and where you can't use speed appropriatly.

Keep ya chin up

Hia Tom

In my oppinion, the emotional stress that this type of thing causes isnt worth the worry,

if you dispute your case it may go to court and that (for me atleast) is not my favourite venue, all adds to the stress....

My 3 penalty points (plus the obligitary £60 fine) have just expired after taking a 38 in a what was aparently a 30 zone ....(skipping the details here)

You can still anjoy your modding and driving ..

You only need to keep under 6 for your the remainder of your probation (two years from L-test) period then the pressure is even less....

Its not too tricky to keep your nose clean if you really want it...you just have to make a few adjustments (compared with what you're used to doing while driving)

its crap, but its crap for a decent reason

KEEP YA CHIN UP MATEY!!!

i lost my license in april this year, theres no excuse to be honest...just got my license back 2 weeks ago after passing again! and its not fun not being able to drive

Personal attack aside, Most officers I know usually deal with people in the manner that they are treated. If you walk up to a car and say "now are you aware of the reason I stopped you?" and they grunt or say something snide then thats just set out the way they are treated. If you get a polite "no officer" or " d'oh you got me I've got my foglights on haven't I?" then you'll get treated like a normal person.
Policing is a stressful job, very few people appreciate what you do, practically everywhere you turn people feel justified in abusing you, unless your out there and in one of the services it's almost impossible to understand.

Pete i was only venting a little not attacking, lets make that clear. But without hi-jacking this thread even more, i never given any abuse to the police i promise you. But when you are actually threatened with violence because you make them "nervous" thats extreme and thats happened twice already, once in Liverpool (almost acceptable) and another time in remote Cornwall. Now the local plod are mostly up for a bit sarcasm and unfounded accusations, but comon i look like Peter Crouch with floppy hair the only crime prevention on there mind is intimidation, i get pulled in my work tie its all professional, if im popping to the shop in my comfort hoody i'm a suspect.

If i am correct they have scrapped the 10% + 2 for speeding, my uncle got a fine for doing 77mph down a motorway in the dead of night with no other cars around.

Apparantly speedos are aloud to underread but not over read.

ACPO guidance says 10% + 2mph but you can be done at just over the speed limit. Just like speed camera's don't have to be brightly coloured, they only have to be if they want to plough the money back into road safety schemes.

Sorry Floz, I'm just used to people biting my head off for everything. The police are their to keep law and order but are accountable to the public, if your concerned complain to the force concerned, if it isn't dealt with to your satisfaction go to your local forces association.

Thats fine Pete i know what you guys have to do, its just human to judge people by there appearance from past interactions. One of the officers in question had been stabbed weeks earlier and was unstable. We all know you guys bend the rules just like i do at my job, thats fine. But the Police only have one choice become more human (and less political) or become perfect.

i have never got on the wrong side of the police...

i have had a wave... been stopped once and told to say hi to my dad when i next see him and had some blue lights flashed at me cos my headlight was out.

thats it.
but then again. i know most of them.
that doesnt mean i can get away with anything. but i can usualy smile and say things like "Realy?....it was 30, could have sworn it was a 40, ill slow down and look out in future"
or, yeah i know, im silly, shouldnt have done that should i?"

or even a polite wave as you pass them or them you usualy does it.

but as with every walk of life, theres allways the "im better than you cos your a scumbag even though i havent ever met you" person. its just unfortunate that the only ones you are likely to meet are police officers....

thats life im affraid and the only way to stay clean is to stay clean!

ACPO guidance says 10% + 2mph but you can be done at just over the speed limit. Just like speed camera's don't have to be brightly coloured, they only have to be if they want to plough the money back into road safety schemes.

But they also consider public opinion, and as 33 in a 30 make bad press it does no good to the camera partnerships so they often will drop those cases when challenged.

In all honesty, its a little unfair if he was caught immediately after the limit change signs. There are many variables that can slow your braking down. Also, if it was dark you might not have noticed the sign until it was 5mtrs infront of you.

Then again, even if caught in that situation, they could argue you were drivin without due care and att...

Anyone ever feel so suffocated by the police? What really ticks me off is there are all these laws that exist.. Including the most that we dont know about until we're caught with- as mentioned above about what an illegal mod is.

Ugh. When will we get the autobahns ;)

Hah!

Anyone ever noticed that the police themselves often speed? THAT Pees me off!!!

Police have the right to break the speed limit if justifiable, if your en route to an immediate then wouldn't you rather the police broke the speed limit? The lights don't need to be lit and the sirens don't need to be going.

If were caught on a speed camera and were not on an immediate then we WILL end up with 3-points and £60. Our lot have just installed GPS trackers in all the cars so they know who's where :S.

If I were to say trigger a speed camera and I WAS on an immediate then I'd have to shout up on the radio "camera activation", which is always fun.

One note however to people reading this thread. If a cop car comes up behind you with lights on trying to get through a set of red lights you have stopped at, unless you want points DONT break any road laws to allow them to pass (I.e jumping the white line) it may annoy the cops behind you, but you dont stand a chance when you get a NIP for jumping red lights in the post.

if there is a traffic light camera yes that 'may' happen. I have seen cars pushed out of the way. If your blocking a police car on an 'assistance' call then be prepared for some scraped bodywork.

Trumpton around here have a habit of pushing people out of the way in the old fire engine.

.. My three points were for doing 33, in a 30?

Mardy as you like.
um just to let you know 33 is within the speed limit so i hardley doubt you got 3 points for doing 33mph you are allowed 10% +2 to allow for clocks being wrong just so you know i would take them to court if yo have got three for that!!!!!!!

I haven't read this entire thread as I'm too busy at the moment.

However you should have asked to see a callibration certificate on the gun, if it's over 2 weeks old, then the reading cannot be used.

Kev

No you are not ALLOWED 10% + 2 thats a guideline figure apparantly.
Pete are you saying then that if we do get out of the way, we get caught on a camera and 'done' and if we don't get out of the way our car gets plowed through?

um just to let you know 33 is within the speed limit so i hardley doubt you got 3 points for doing 33mph you are allowed 10% +2 to allow for clocks being wrong just so you know i would take them to court if yo have got three for that!!!!!!!

been mentioned a few times fella!

im sure there is also a law out there that you can speed up (to approx 5 miles over the speedlimit, to overtake, avoid collision etc)

And yes, you may ask for calibration results and dates?! but this also aggravates a traffic cop (to note they are different from general police as pete will most prob agree)
You find that if you are general HONEST with them, rather than trying to give excuses they actually let you explain, end of the day, your excuse for you didnt wanna cut them up, is pointless, because they will then just say well for law and safety reasons you should not of attempted the manouver in the first place, and that you should look harder before judging something first time.

Police have the right to break the speed limit if justifiable, if your en route to an immediate then wouldn't you rather the police broke the speed limit? The lights don't need to be lit and the sirens don't need to be going.

I realise that, but doin 45 in a 40.. They tell us that doin 35 in a 30 increases the chance of killing a padestrian by x% So why can they still break the limit by this amount. If he was going somewhere important, fair enough. But he didnt seem in a rush. Look in my rear vew mirror.. He's a good 100mts behind. Further down the road, he's up my arse with no lights or anything talkin to his partner and laughin. All the while I was doing 40. So obviously he was speeding and by the laughin, he wasnt heading somewhere serious. Thats what I was talkin about. :)

No attack intended. Just venting about how it seems there are laws for the police that are completely separate to the general public :)

They have to be whiter than white but generally are just normal people and so don't practice at all what they preach. hypocritical yes, but unless police use robots which will make things worse it will never change

They have to be whiter than white but generally are just normal people and so don't practice at all what they preach. hypocritical yes, but unless police use robots which will make things worse it will never change

I got images in my head of Ed formulating the schematics for robocop. hahahaha

hey going back to the illegal mods, is illegal ment as in the mod its self like for instance NOS, or are mods that havent been claimed on the insurance "illegal" sorry if this was answerd befor havnt got time to read whole thread
cheers

nos isnt illegal. but if your carrying any pressurised gas you have to by law display appropriate warning stikers on the vehicle, also ANY modification that has not been disclosed to your insurance is illegal,as the insurance company will refuse to cover you in the event of an accident or the cops informing them of any mods. you will then be uninsured and the bab will do you for it!!

i recently got caught speeding in a 30 limit i was only doing 36mph. i got a letter through that said if i paid a £74 fine i would get no points and have to attend a 3 1/4 hour drivers awareness course. its worth it coz that what im doing!

Back