Sill rot

butta

Kicked in the Member
when i took my 98 1.3 si for an MOT in april this sill was mint and solid but now look sill.jpg
its rotted from the inside out!

got replacement sill skin for £17 rather than try to patch it will wax oil it to death once welded. the inner sill is still solid so not too bad

midland lamps and panels in tipton in the west midlands but they are the same price at most other places so find a place local to you and save on delivery charges

You will not have to change the whole sill specially if the drama was not visible last year.When the rot finally shows you usually only have to deal with a 200mm section.
The easiest repair which involves a lot less work is to cut out infected area and mig weld a new piece of metal in place.Welds can then be ground down,filled,stonechipped & painted.
A faster,less pretty way is to overplate the infected area & slap underseal over it.Get it through the MOT but looks horrible & if you decide to fill over the joints at a later stage you'll need to spreading filler further up the rear quarter to lose the joint.Get the plate migged in for an easier repair!
If you're unlucky enough to need a complete sill you'll have some paint repairs to be getting on with on the rear quarters & door shuts.Oversills must also be seam welded for the MOT unless you hide the spot welds well from the hawk eyed MOT tester.
The water gets in the sill from the rear inner arch,there is a hole about 100mm up from sill bottom where the inner arch goes at right angle.Sorry hard to explain but it's definately there!I'll try posting a pic if you want to fill it in....

you could always try the option of welding the plate on the inside of the sill if you can get there then filler and fibreglass it (Y)

new sill welded on was easy job compared with trying to weld a patch onto rusty metal which ive tried before because the hole to cover just gets bigger and bigger

Back