rotten drivers side sill

Just had a look at the drivers side sill at the back and its worse than I thought. The inner part that curves and meets at the bottom has rotted out. The front part of the sill is all ok. So tomorrow I will be cleaning it all up. See if I can patch it up the old girl. Preface lifts getting rare be a shame to scrap it. Have a small hole on the inner sill further along towards the back. Weather is not looking good for this week so will have the tarp out tomorrow.....

Attachments

• IMG_20231024_183542.jpg
    IMG_20231024_183542.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 51
Do you know how water gets into the sill in the first place? The sills on my 1994 1.0 are so full that water seeps up through the floor, especially around the seat mountings. Thanks for any advice!

My first thought is are the drainage holes on your sills blocked? There's a couple of small holes in between where the sills are spot welded. I use a piece of wire and wiggle it around to see if they are bunged up. Is it just one side or both? ....

My first thought is are the drainage holes on your sills blocked? There's a couple of small holes in between where the sills are spot welded. I use a piece of wire and wiggle it around to see if they are bunged up. Is it just one side or both? ....
Thanks Marco. It’s both sides, but especially bad on the passenger side. I drilled holes after the sills were replaced years ago but they don’t seem to help. Water seems to come in somewhere at the front of the door and then collect in the sill. It gets worse when I drive in very wet conditions. I can’t see any holes in the wheel arches. I think it flows down inside the A-pillar and then runs back along the sill, but I’m not sure.

Thanks Marco. It’s both sides, but especially bad on the passenger side. I drilled holes after the sills were replaced years ago but they don’t seem to help. Water seems to come in somewhere at the front of the door and then collect in the sill. It gets worse when I drive in very wet conditions. I can’t see any holes in the wheel arches. I think it flows down inside the A-pillar and then runs back along the sill, but I’m not sure.
What you said about the pipe running down the a- panel is correct. It's a good idea to take the mudflaps off and give it a good clean as that's where a lit of the water exits. Have you got a sunroof? If you have there are two pipes at the front that run into the front of the sill. The pipes sometimes get blocked or come out where they are supposed to be. In the corner there's a plastic trim with a Phillips screw in it behind it there's some foam pull that out and you should see the pipe and it should run into the sill. Another thing that causes these Micras to leak is under the windscreen wipers theres a scuttle panel and a plastic clip under the windscreen they rot out I think most people use silicon to seal it it's an easy way for the water to find its way in. I sealed my sunroof up until I can fit a new one next year l. Good luck with finding the leak. If you do a search on here for sunroof leaks and or leaks there's plenty of threads on here with pics.🙏👍

What you said about the pipe running down the a- panel is correct. It's a good idea to take the mudflaps off and give it a good clean as that's where a lit of the water exits. Have you got a sunroof? If you have there are two pipes at the front that run into the front of the sill. The pipes sometimes get blocked or come out where they are supposed to be. In the corner there's a plastic trim with a Phillips screw in it behind it there's some foam pull that out and you should see the pipe and it should run into the sill. Another thing that causes these Micras to leak is under the windscreen wipers theres a scuttle panel and a plastic clip under the windscreen they rot out I think most people use silicon to seal it it's an easy way for the water to find its way in. I sealed my sunroof up until I can fit a new one next year l. Good luck with finding the leak. If you do a search on here for sunroof leaks and or leaks there's plenty of threads on here with pics.🙏👍
Thanks again Marco. Mine doesn’t have a sunroof (also have a facelift K11 that does and its drains work ok). I’ve temporarily taped all the way along the scuttle panel, so water shouldn’t be getting in there. But still it comes!! I’ve been searching for this leak for about 10 years (literally), but still no joy. The quest continues. PS my Micra has done 458,000 miles! Thanks again.

Thanks again Marco. Mine doesn’t have a sunroof (also have a facelift K11 that does and its drains work ok). I’ve temporarily taped all the way along the scuttle panel, so water shouldn’t be getting in there. But still it comes!! I’ve been searching for this leak for about 10 years (literally), but still no joy. The quest continues. PS my Micra has done 458,000 miles! Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_1271.jpeg
    IMG_1271.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1301.jpeg
    IMG_1301.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
That's a lot of miles for a Micra. Mines only done 90,000. Just welded drivers side sill and the inner part took a lot longer than anticipated have MOT on Thursday. Im just doing a quick oil/filter change tnite and cleaning it up a bit lol

Rain water can run down inside the A,B & C pillars from the roof gutter joints & from the windscreen seals against the A pillar.

Roof gutter joints are hidden under the two plastic full length roof trims where corrosion holes plus weld seam sealants dry out & can decay into micro cracks, with age, that let in rainwater.

Pull up the roof length gutter trims & inspect carefully the weld joints/sealant joints. ;)

Good news Micra passed MOT today no advisarys so very pleased after all the welding it's had. Just bought some lanoguard to treat the underside and stop the surface rust spreading. I might spray some into the sill I repaired too as insurance lol

Good news Micra passed MOT today no advisarys so very pleased after all the welding it's had. Just bought some lanoguard to treat the underside and stop the surface rust spreading. I might spray some into the sill I repaired too as insurance lol

Congratulations for MOT pass. Regarding the rust protection, try also a proper automotive wax for chassis boxes: it's a dense liquid wax you can spray inside the frame boxes. After a proper rust teatment it helps to protect the hidden point because the wax do not became hard and so penetrate between sheets, weld points etc. If you spray it warmed, it penetrates better. It's a smart product because it's water repellent. After reading your posts, I checked my car: I find a slight superficial rust and that's why I'll surely give it a generous spraying in all the frame boxes.

Back