Info on non-original engine

Hello all,

This is my first post on this excellent forum. I've been reading it for a while. Thought I'd join.

I used to have a 1998 K11. Ran it for 8 years and it was an amazing car. I added 47,000 virtually trouble free miles onto it and went to all corners of the UK. The rot let it down in the end. Then 4 years of BMW E46 convertible ownership (I know, I know) happened, and after toying with the idea of a Tesla (bit expensive if you ask me) I've now bought another K11 - a 2000 W-reg 1.0 Celebration. I love K11s. Between me, my mum, and my friend, there's been 5 K11's owned, which is 33 collective years of ownership, and just one breakdown (a dizzy packed up, sorted the next day for a few quid).

Anyway, to the point, my current car was sold to me 5 weeks ago as a 1 owner 26,000 mile car. An HPI check, and carefully going through it's M.O.T history backed all this up. I stupidly didn't think to see if the engine number matched the one on it's service history booklet and logbook. It matches the logbook, but not the service history booklet, which was filled out by the dealer when brand new. So it's not the original engine, thus I have no idea of it's true mileage or why it was changed. Nevertheless it runs sweet as, there's no apparent problems with the engine, and the underneath is as solid as the day it left the factory. So I'm keeping it, and I hope to get a good few years from it. Apart from the wipers not working in intermittent it's otherwise fault free.

Could I pick your collective brains? It was registered April 2000. It's got a dizzy, and I understand Micras changed to coils that year. Does anybody know exactly when they changed? I'm wondering if my original engine had coils, and now I've got an older engine, perhaps from a pre facelift. I don't know. It would help to know for when it needs work or parts, and has implications for E10 petrol, seeing as Nissan have said cars registered from 1/1/2000 are ok.

Is there any way of finding out which car my engine came from? It would help me investigate it's age and true mileage. I'll probably approach Nissan, and DVLA, but just wondered if anybody has experience of this type of enquiry before I do, or could give advice.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Last edited:

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member

Does the front bumper look like this one? If so, was originally a coilpack. I think the steering wheel also changed. Pretty unlikely for it to be changed from a coil to a dizzy engine though as I'd imagine it's a bunch of work. Presumably engine numbers are sequential? What's the number of the engine in there?

Craig

It could just be a simple mistake in the service book.

I have one that gives the cc as 1298 cc on the log book ! as opposed to the correct 1275.

OP
OP
Elon Musk
Craig, thanks for your reply. No it's not that bumper, mine is the last of the prior generation, being registered just before the generation you posted came out. The number on the engine and on the logbook begins 780***, and the number written in the service book in Apr 2000 by the original main dealer begins 012***

1275, thanks also for your reply. It didn't even occur to me it could be a mistake in the service book.

I'm wondering if there was a catastrophic failure whilst still under warranty, and the engine was changed by Nissan.

If Nissan changed the engine they would swap in te same engine as changing it all is way to much work and costs to much in parts.

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
So I've 3 logbooks, of various 1st reg dates:

15/07/99 T-reg: CG10-714xxx
29/01/97 P-reg: CG10-408xxx
30/09/94 M-reg: CG13-080xxx

A sample size of 3, but I'd posit engine numbers are sequential and ascending. Seems likely it's the original engine and, as 1275 suggests, is an error in the maintenance book (it could be something as silly as the gearbox number been noted instead of the engine number).

Craig

OP
OP
Elon Musk
So I've 3 logbooks, of various 1st reg dates:

15/07/99 T-reg: CG10-714xxx
29/01/97 P-reg: CG10-408xxx
30/09/94 M-reg: CG13-080xxx

A sample size of 3, but I'd posit engine numbers are sequential and ascending. Seems likely it's the original engine and, as 1275 suggests, is an error in the maintenance book (it could be something as silly as the gearbox number been noted instead of the engine number).

Craig
Thanks for your time and trouble Craig. Your list very much suggests sequential and ascending order. In which case my 780*** coming just 9 months after your 714*** seems to make a lot of sense. 012*** suggests a '92 or '93 car. Perhaps such a car had been traded in, and the dealer recorded that number by mistake. But whatever happened there, I'm now confident the engine's original.

[Apart from the wipers not working in intermittent it's otherwise fault free]
If you want them working, change out the black box, I had the same issue!

Attachments

• engine bay2_LI.jpg
    engine bay2_LI.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 123